_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5730283 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Don't poke the arch-demon.
« Reply #12015 on: February 18, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

Satisfied with this, Chaz decides to leave the VR, but not before saving the combat sim for later practice.

"Okay, now what's got everyone so wo-What the hell is that?"
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12016 on: February 18, 2013, 10:33:37 am »

"Hrmm. Pointy. Alright. Now, can you activate your kill switch? I know you don't want to die, but one way or another, you have to die. We can kill you if we need to, but we'll only do it if you lose against the altered. If you hit that switch, you will die a man. A human. You will die, knowing that you stood up, that you showed that altered why they don't fuck with humans. You will die, but many shall live. You will die, but you will die a hero. I'm sorry it had to be this way."

Salute the man.

((This will be glorious, or bloody. Either one would be kinda awsome. NINJA.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12017 on: February 18, 2013, 06:29:00 pm »

((i suspect bloody, you're way too close, Steve apparently has already been shocking him massively, so i doubt his kill switch will even work, and you just told him that you plan on killing him. if he still has a self-preservation instinct, you're dead))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12018 on: February 18, 2013, 06:31:18 pm »

((IIRC, he has a special killswitch that nukes his brain and CNS.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12019 on: February 18, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »

((IIRC, he has a special killswitch that nukes his brain and CNS.))

((Watch said killswitch be the same thing Steve's been trying to do, but manually activated.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12020 on: February 18, 2013, 11:34:08 pm »

((@piecewise: gender reminder: female))
minimize all movement in any direction.

take off shoes, close eyes, focus on the feeling of the ground under me. clap my hands together once, as hard as i can. focus on the pain and slight numbness that results. continue to focus on raw sensations, the feeling of breathing, etc, in sequence. first touch, then smell, then taste (lick one finger), then sound (clap again), and finally re-open eyes and attempt to reorient myself with my actual physical location on the ship.

if that doesn't work, try the entire process a second time, if the second try doesn't work, turn towards Maurice and shrug.

Everything feels unreal for an instant but the feeling vanishes a moment later. You try again but get the same results.

Bite my lower lip (note: don't try biting it off, though). If that (predictably) fails to do anything, slowly lower myself onto the spot I'm standing on without any extra movement sideways. Lick the "ground".
(( The helmet should be off and worn on my belt, I believe, as I specified earlier. ))

Absolutely nothing happens in response to you biting your lip, other then it hurting. The ground tastes like...nothing. Literally nothing. If vacuum had a taste, it would be this.

Retired Spy (Grunt): +1 Speech, -1 Conventional Weapons   [+2 against torture?]
  Unique features: Blind, sensory parts of brain damaged, moves by echolocation and has an MK system built for it.
((Thearpox, I was talking about the [+2 against torture] and also the fact that if sensory parts of brain damage means he can't feel pain, you'd be taking away much of the GM's fun.))
By sensory I assumed he meant "Visual" but if he's asking to be pain immune then...well maybe. If you're straight human then pain immunity is a terrible thing. That combined with blindness means he's gonna walk into something sharp and disembowel himself without even noticing.
actually there's a rare neurological disorder some people have (i think you have to be born with it) where their body registers harmful stimuli but it doesn't bother them, it tends to stunt the affected persons empathy/sympathy due to pain being a major factor in the development of those emotions but yeah... could be worth having...
((Yup, yup. Sensory cortex. And I'm not sure what you mean by "natural". It took three background years to learn it, and several more to really get it going. And I'm thinking this level at least: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpxEmD0gu0Q
And for the action, grrrrrrrr... Must focus, must not go to sleep...))

"Hello? Anyone? How much time was I in stasis?"
Wake up. Take a look around. Sense the obvious box with clothing in front of me. Get dressed. Are the letters on it, and on the walls in-depth, or are they flat in which case I cannot see them?

Edit: As for the neurological disorder, read "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" trilogy. Significant character has that. Great work.

The words on the box and the wall aren't engraved or embossed, so you couldn't feel them, and echolocation couldn't see'em.

You get yourself nice and clothed.

Victor will not open fire unless Ivan starts attacking other people. Victor will not open fire if someone other than Ivan is within the kill zone. If Ivan does become aggressive and THEN attempts to attack the turret, Victor will detonate the magazine at the last possible moment.

Understood.

Continue analyzing and being ready. Not much else to do with the Ivan threat/thread looming. Try to find a way to minimize potential damage to Ivan's possessions. (What?)
Judging by his internal structures, he's gonna be moving fast; his legs have bundles of some sort of compressed organic substance that looks like an organic spring of sorts. If he moves it's gonna be a leap of sorts, and a powerful one.

move away from everyone elses line of fire, again with the blinding if ivan attacks and again with the duct tape and food tray if he does not.

I want samples of ivans genetic structure so damn bad... if we kill him by accident i call bagsies on his left arm
Since Ivan isn't murdering yet, you tape another tray to your head.

Who is Ivan? Is he one of of the convicts like me? And about the fast part, is there anyway to enhace one's body to become faster and stronger without changing much? I saw a girl in a simulations, I believe it was Faith, and she was incredibly fast and strong there. I am pretty sure that she hadn't any mechanical or mutant parts.

Ask that while getting ready to go to where Ivan is. Search the place where he is by reading the mood of the people and after getting there, try to think about a good way of killing him, sending the Doc the following message:

Can you tell me what is the best way to kill an Altered?

"Faith is special. Her strength...conditional. Dangerous. Self destructive. Possible, maybe, to replicate, but will be very limited. Use will leave you damaged, tired. Weapon of last resort."

You leave the back of the infirmary and head to the Rec room.

Depends on the specific mutations. Ivan only psuedo-altered, some early strain. But strong; very durable. Standard blade probably won't do damage to him. Suggest monoatomic sword. Armory master instructed to give you one, no charge.

Anton smiled to himself, calmly proud of his creation, but Steve's remark quickly made him frown. "You have been applying shocks to him? In what way, via an implant?"

He rubs his chin with his free hand and furrows his brow, thinking out loud. "Hmm. An implant can't have too much power and remain compact. It doesn't need to, since it applies it directly to the nerves, but... three days? Is it even still functioning? Where does it get power? It could probably absorb and store energy from the surrounding muscles, but can it convert raw electricity?" Anton gets up, fitting the Red Hand onto his right arm and addressing Steve.

"Steve? If, theoretically, a powerful electric charge were to be delivered to the vicinity of Ivan's shock implant, would it just fry the device, or could it be possible to deliver an electric shock in excess of the implant's maximum "fatal" charge? Last I heard, nerves still worked using electricity. He may have built up a resistance, but he can't be completely immune." Anton checks the safety on the gauntlet, and flexes his right hand, clenching it into a fist. "It's always possible to overpower a resistance."

((Can't use VR until Ivan is gone, so formulate plans of attack it is. It's pretty obvious there's no "defense" here, the AM won't interfere unless it "gets out of hand", and by then most of us will be at least temp-dead. Since all I got is a hammer, might as well fashion the problem into a nail.))

>Possible. But his resistance might be due to some sort of internal anti-shock system. Organic pathways, like wires, that would funnel electrical discharges to ground without traveling through vital areas. With his habit of adapting to damage it wouldn't be surprising.

Satisfied with this, Chaz decides to leave the VR, but not before saving the combat sim for later practice.

"Okay, now what's got everyone so wo-What the hell is that?"

You get out of the VR and are confronted with a scene of your teammates apparently trying to get a demon drunk at gunpoint.

"Hrmm. Pointy. Alright. Now, can you activate your kill switch? I know you don't want to die, but one way or another, you have to die. We can kill you if we need to, but we'll only do it if you lose against the altered. If you hit that switch, you will die a man. A human. You will die, knowing that you stood up, that you showed that altered why they don't fuck with humans. You will die, but many shall live. You will die, but you will die a hero. I'm sorry it had to be this way."

Salute the man.

You salute Ivan. He sort of plays with the bits of glass on the floor.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12021 on: February 18, 2013, 11:45:23 pm »

grab another food tray and bend it so it resembles a large bowl, grab a beer and pour it into said bowl tray then place it near Ivan and back away slowly

set diffusion on my laser rifle to 3 or 4, prepare to blind multiple eyes at once if Ivan becomes hostile
if Ivan isn't hostile again this turn head off to engineering or wherever the suits are kept when we aren't wearing them and try to steal a face sized piece of scrap metal
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12022 on: February 19, 2013, 12:01:33 am »

((Alcohol:  The cause of- and solution to- all of life's problems.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12023 on: February 19, 2013, 02:14:48 am »

((From now on, when I say "feel" or "sense," I mean "see by echolocation". When I say "touch", I mean "touch with my hands or other bodyparts". When I say "hear", it means "hear". When I want to use intuition, I will say "understand", "intuit," or just put an "{I}" sign with these brackets after the verb. Hope that makes it clear.

By the way, has anyone hear read Stanislaw Lem? He was a Polish author, really popular in US, before he being banned for being an alien (or more accurately, the CIA couldn't confirm that he was not an alien). He was an inspiration for Dick, and in "The Man in High Tower," he was the man. Also notable as the only Science Fiction author of the period whose predictions all came true.

Oh, and I think I've got a brilliant invention that is very obvious and very useful, but nobody has yet mentioned. And I won't even need Tinker for this. 8) I hope I'm not wrong. ;)))

"Well of course they wouldn't be engraved! It's always a sticker. A paint if I'm lucky. Nobody ever cares about the blind. Well, to be fair, they can just make new eyes today, they probably don't have many people like me, but still! Oh well, time to make the best of the situation."

Vich headed out towards the hallway. Tsk, tsk, tsk, tta, tta, tsk, tck? ... tck?  "Hey, Computer. Stop hiding! I know you're over here. First, what are you called? Second, I'm sure you know that I'm blind. And that means I can't see those sings. So any help in navigating would be appreciated. Preferably in terms of right and left. What are important locations and how do I get to them?" (Don't bother actually typing out all the rights and lefts unless you find it fun. It's all IC)

Head towards the first intersection and ask Steve for directions. Sense if there any teammates around me.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 02:18:35 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12024 on: February 19, 2013, 02:19:24 am »

Continue current action setup.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12025 on: February 19, 2013, 02:33:30 am »

((By the way, has anyone hear read Stanislaw Lem?))
((Ooh, another Lem reader. I'd offer a high-five, but a)internet, and b)I'm usually incorporeal. :P

I find some of his more... esoteric works rather hard to read, personally, but I quite enjoy his more conventional novels and series. Even if I'd be hard pressed to say which series I actually have read, since I read them in Russian and in a rather haphazardly compiled collection that seemed to include bits of everything. I do have a full ebook collection now, which I attempt to read as much as free time allows.

Also, look at the current mission. Do you think the sharkmist bears more than a passing resemblance to the necrosphere of Regis III, or is it just me?))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12026 on: February 19, 2013, 02:37:49 am »

((By the way, has anyone hear read Stanislaw Lem?))
((Ooh, another Lem reader. I'd offer a high-five, but a)internet, and b)I'm usually incorporeal. :P

I find some of his more... esoteric works rather hard to read, personally, but I quite enjoy his more conventional novels and series. Even if I'd be hard pressed to say which series I actually have read, since I read them in Russian and in a rather haphazardly compiled collection that seemed to include bits of everything. I do have a full ebook collection now, which I attempt to read as much as free time allows.

Also, look at the current mission. Do you think the sharkmist bears more than a passing resemblance to the necrosphere of Regis III, or is it just me?))
((Well, we're both Russians, and not just Russians, but Moscovites (right?), (Looked at your profile. Sorry.) so it kind of doesn't count. No offense. I'm just seeking to foster an appreciation of an example of  I just want to see if any primarily English speakers read him. He deserves much more than what he gets, in my opinion.

Oh, and I haven't gotten to the current mission yet. Trying to avoid spoilers as much as I can. (1157/1600 pages and counting!)
Also, sorry for rapidly modifying posts. Can't help it.))
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 03:15:18 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12027 on: February 19, 2013, 02:40:53 am »

((I'm way over in Tolyatti, so not exactly Moscovite. :P And yeah, I kinda wonder how many English-speakers read him too.

And nice to see another fellow Russian on the boards. ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12028 on: February 19, 2013, 02:43:54 am »

((I'm way over in Tolyatti, so not exactly Moscovite. :P And yeah, I kinda wonder how many English-speakers read him too.

And nice to see another fellow Russian on the boards. ^_^))
((Yeah, I tend to assume that every Russian I meet is from Moscow. And that everything that's not Moscow or Peter is wilderness. Sorry about that.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12029 on: February 19, 2013, 04:09:04 am »

Message doc; Would extreme cold affect Ivan as either freezing him solid or causing an internal system crash of somesort or would it be better to overheat him?
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.
Pages: 1 ... 800 801 [802] 803 804 ... 2101