_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5732838 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #13980 on: April 15, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »

"...Ooh. What does this setting do?"

Set the Aggression of the dinosaur to max, the aliens to min, Ms. May to somewhere in the middle, Mr. Jim to a bit lower, and Ms. Feyri to somewhere below that. Stand back and watch what happens.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13981 on: April 15, 2013, 04:43:49 pm »

ok then, Still tinkering to make my floating fireball

physical design and appearance:
place all the parts for this into a backpack design, batteries, emitters, the works. I just need to keep the fireball near the emitters, right? if i want it to float over my hand that's still within a couple feet of the emitters, and it doesn't force me to wear a "glove" bigger than my head. something as big as a power fist is way too big for me to use at my size. the emitters themselves need to be in a sphere of sorts, that rotates to allow it to be aimed at any angle, and the casing needs to include some stabilizers and shock absorbers, to protect the equipment from the inevitable large amounts of vibration this device will  encounter in normal use.

power:
use an integrated pair of batteries for power, on opposite ends of the device (so if the fields have one temporarily disabled, the other works just fine), include some retractable recharging/power cables for the various standard generator/battery designs, and a battery indicator both on the device itself and on a connected suit's HUD.

control:
message the doctor for help with this. design it to use prosthetic limb inputs, so that creating, dismissing, and moving the fireball around is done as an extension of the user's body. the user does not manually handle each of the emitters separately, but simply controls where the unit as a whole aims them. assume the device will be attached to the user's back, but that it (like other prosthetics) can be removed if detached properly. if at all possible, i want the user to have the same kinesthetic sense of the fireball's location that people have with any other limb. if the doctor gives advice on how to refine this control scheme, take it.
Quote from: Lyra to Doctor
Could you please help me refine the control scheme for this device?

safeties:
if the device takes damage that might compromise the emitters, it immediately begins the shut-down process, and will not restart until repaired.
the device will not trigger the automanip if the emitters are not in the right position to contain the resulting fireball, and will attempt to move the emitters to the proper position if this is attempted.
when the device is shutting down, it turns off the prism emitters first, then waits a few moments for the fireball to dissipate, before shutting down the rest of the emitters. this will result in the fireball dissipating in a cone of flame directly away from the emitters.
the device outputs to the user's suit the location the fireball is currently at, which the suit then uses to darken a small section of the user's visor anytime the fireball would be visible, protecting the user from blinding themselves.

give the device a physical switch on it, that is encased and latched down normally to prevent accidental changes to it.
the switch is a "training mode" switch, that limits the device's permitted movement area such that it cannot get within arm's reach of the user, except to create a new fireball. it also does not permit the fireball to go directly beneath the user. when a new fireball is made in "training mode" it is immediately moved outside this safety radius after it has been made, and without the control of the user. i am fully aware this will drain power much faster, but when working with a new prosthetic you need to have an acclimation period where you can't kill yourself with it. if the switch is damaged, the device disables training mode rather than risk locking it in training mode.

assuming all the above design steps go well, message Steve and the AM:
Quote from: Lyra to Steve and Armory Master
I would like help building this design. I believe it would be more versatile than most currently available equipment. Is there a way to make this? I do not have the skills to assemble the pieces.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:07:53 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13982 on: April 15, 2013, 06:26:43 pm »

Quote from: Message to Doctor
That's interesting. Do you have a lot of experience with immortality-seekers? How long do people that wealthy usually live?

Message Doctor.

See how worthwhile, and if possible how cost-effective, it'd be to bring biogel along for synthflesh individuals. Or alternatively, the situations under which that might be worthwhile.

See just how good you'd have to be to do the chemical bath operation thing to amp-repair synthflesh in the field.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13983 on: April 15, 2013, 10:03:11 pm »

Replace the medieval men with some generic fighters against the HRMC, with matching equipment. Observe them.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13984 on: April 16, 2013, 01:05:12 pm »

ok then, Still tinkering to make my floating fireball

physical design and appearance:
place all the parts for this into a backpack design, batteries, emitters, the works. I just need to keep the fireball near the emitters, right? if i want it to float over my hand that's still within a couple feet of the emitters, and it doesn't force me to wear a "glove" bigger than my head. something as big as a power fist is way too big for me to use at my size. the emitters themselves need to be in a sphere of sorts, that rotates to allow it to be aimed at any angle, and the casing needs to include some stabilizers and shock absorbers, to protect the equipment from the inevitable large amounts of vibration this device will  encounter in normal use.

power:
use an integrated pair of batteries for power, on opposite ends of the device (so if the fields have one temporarily disabled, the other works just fine), include some retractable recharging/power cables for the various standard generator/battery designs, and a battery indicator both on the device itself and on a connected suit's HUD.

control:
message the doctor for help with this. design it to use prosthetic limb inputs, so that creating, dismissing, and moving the fireball around is done as an extension of the user's body. the user does not manually handle each of the emitters separately, but simply controls where the unit as a whole aims them. assume the device will be attached to the user's back, but that it (like other prosthetics) can be removed if detached properly. if at all possible, i want the user to have the same kinesthetic sense of the fireball's location that people have with any other limb. if the doctor gives advice on how to refine this control scheme, take it.
Quote from: Lyra to Doctor
Could you please help me refine the control scheme for this device?

safeties:
if the device takes damage that might compromise the emitters, it immediately begins the shut-down process, and will not restart until repaired.
the device will not trigger the automanip if the emitters are not in the right position to contain the resulting fireball, and will attempt to move the emitters to the proper position if this is attempted.
when the device is shutting down, it turns off the prism emitters first, then waits a few moments for the fireball to dissipate, before shutting down the rest of the emitters. this will result in the fireball dissipating in a cone of flame directly away from the emitters.
the device outputs to the user's suit the location the fireball is currently at, which the suit then uses to darken a small section of the user's visor anytime the fireball would be visible, protecting the user from blinding themselves.

give the device a physical switch on it, that is encased and latched down normally to prevent accidental changes to it.
the switch is a "training mode" switch, that limits the device's permitted movement area such that it cannot get within arm's reach of the user, except to create a new fireball. it also does not permit the fireball to go directly beneath the user. when a new fireball is made in "training mode" it is immediately moved outside this safety radius after it has been made, and without the control of the user. i am fully aware this will drain power much faster, but when working with a new prosthetic you need to have an acclimation period where you can't kill yourself with it. if the switch is damaged, the device disables training mode rather than risk locking it in training mode.

assuming all the above design steps go well, message Steve and the AM:
Quote from: Lyra to Steve and Armory Master
I would like help building this design. I believe it would be more versatile than most currently available equipment. Is there a way to make this? I do not have the skills to assemble the pieces.

All This looks fine and dandy, although you may want to consider shielding the electronics of your suit, since you're basically gonna be waving those fields around willy-nilly.  And yeah, you can get the armory master to make it for you, though you'll still have to pay for everything. But hey, thats what missions are for.

Quote from: Message to Doctor
That's interesting. Do you have a lot of experience with immortality-seekers? How long do people that wealthy usually live?

Message Doctor.

See how worthwhile, and if possible how cost-effective, it'd be to bring biogel along for synthflesh individuals. Or alternatively, the situations under which that might be worthwhile.

See just how good you'd have to be to do the chemical bath operation thing to amp-repair synthflesh in the field.

Some experience. Though it was a long time ago.  Depends on the planet. Few hundred years is usually the best they'll get.

You basically can't bring biogel with you. Maurice asked about this a long time ago, but biogel usage requires whole facilities, power and expertise to be used correctly. If not used correctly it is at best useless, at worst, quite fatal.

And again, you basically can't. None of you have the amps required to do that. You'd need a universal one; and even then, you'd have to use med rolls and aux rolls as well as the exo roll and if any of them isn't perfect you're shit out of luck.

Replace the medieval men with some generic fighters against the HRMC, with matching equipment. Observe them.

Well, the generic fighters battle quite generically. The HMRC argues about what to do for 5 minutes and then just nukes the enemies, themselves and everything else.

Yes.

Melt brain while he's unaware.

[exo:3+1]
You manage to heat part of his chest to a good degree,  partially exposing the metal bones and braincase within. But now he knows you're here. And he's very angry.

Start up the Duel simulator.

Fight against a bunch of historical figures that Piecewise likes in an environment Piecewise also likes.

You're not exactly sure what historical figures a lizard would like. Maybe the Space pope? He's reptilian.

Punch the energy being, nothing will go wrong!

You punch the energy being. Turns out he was made Weak Nuclear force or something, because he goes down like a pile of cesium, the most pansy of all elements.

"Hm, what to do now."

Exit VR. Boogie over to Armory. Ask more questions of Sandy.

"Hey, Sandy, I found out what happens when you overload a microwave space calculator. Looks like it'd be pretty useful in certain circumstances. But I did have a question - what happens if I overload a magnetic space calculator? Is it as impressive-looking, except with lightning, or is it invisible, but still very deadly? And what about a vector space calculator?"

She just stares at you. Just stares and stares and stares with a blank expression that is somehow both angry and nonplussed all at the same time.

"...Ooh. What does this setting do?"

Set the Aggression of the dinosaur to max, the aliens to min, Ms. May to somewhere in the middle, Mr. Jim to a bit lower, and Ms. Feyri to somewhere below that. Stand back and watch what happens.

The phrase "Dinosaurs wreck shit up" comes to mind. Also, turns out that Feyri attempting to sword fight dinosaurs is, while quite awesome, ultimately ineffective. But jim amp fighting them proves more effective. And messy.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:34:07 pm by piecewise »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: April 16, 2013, 01:18:22 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to AM
how expensive would this be?
price check?

((shielding isn't free, and i'm trying to keep the price as low as i can. i'll just suffer with it while i'm in a MK1 suit, but i know i'll need to do something about it if i get a MK2 or MK3))
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:26:47 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13986 on: April 16, 2013, 01:55:40 pm »

"Man, I can't ask you anything fun, can I?"

Sadly party down to rec room, sit down and start singing. Turn on the TV and find some kind of fun cartoon to watch.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: April 16, 2013, 02:21:06 pm »

Continue to melt brain, moving behind him as I do so.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13988 on: April 16, 2013, 02:23:00 pm »

price check?

((shielding isn't free, and i'm trying to keep the price as low as i can. i'll just suffer with it while i'm in a MK1 suit, but i know i'll need to do something about it if i get a MK2 or MK3))
((Mind giving me a summary of how it works? 3 to 5 sentences perhaps? So those of us who don't want to read random walls of text with confusing physics don't get left out. Also, MK2 and MK3 are identical to MK1 in terms of electricity protection, as far as I remember.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: April 16, 2013, 02:43:54 pm »

price check?

((Mind giving me a summary of how it works? 3 to 5 sentences perhaps? So those of us who don't want to read random walls of text with confusing physics don't get left out. Also, MK2 and MK3 are identical to MK1 in terms of electricity protection, as far as I remember.))
((short version? prosthetic fireball

slightly more detail? requires a backpack to hold the mechanics, disrupts electronics that are in the path between the fireball and the backpack,  and for a short distance afterwards. power drain rate based on distance between fireball and backpack. fireball is bright enough to cause eye damage from looking at it. user's suit will protect them from being blinded, others not so much.

The problem isn't electrical, it's magnetic. i don't want the more advanced suits triggering their medical systems willy-nilly, or the mk3's thrusters going haywire.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: April 16, 2013, 02:53:04 pm »

((Thanks, but I was actually thinking more about how it works, not what it does. Specifically, how you get it contained without a physical object, and how you control it.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13991 on: April 16, 2013, 03:40:07 pm »

((Thanks, but I was actually thinking more about how it works, not what it does. Specifically, how you get it contained without a physical object, and how you control it.))
Spoiler: ugly image (click to show/hide)
((frankly, i'm scared to get too deep into the physics involved for the simple reason of piecewise might change his mind about if it works or not. could we please just call it space magic and move on?))
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 03:47:28 pm by Lenglon »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: April 16, 2013, 05:16:39 pm »

((Probably not.))

"That...was...AWESOME!"

Do it again, but give the dinosaurs flight and firebreathing and intelligence and stuff!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: April 16, 2013, 07:33:58 pm »

Get rid of the HRMC fighters.
((Oops. I phrased that wrong.))

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: April 16, 2013, 10:40:25 pm »

Tsk...I knew you would say that someday. But there is no mission starting now...I will make sure to join the next one. So, what do you suggest me to do, besides sparring with the immortal being, for training? A little exercise perhaps? And what is the difference betwen your style and the AM's style of fighting? I know that she is somewhat cautious around you.

Talk to Doc. And to Steve.

Steve, could you take a place for the next mission? I think I've spent too much time on ship already.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"
Pages: 1 ... 931 932 [933] 934 935 ... 2101