_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5673480 times)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Celebrating one year of Space Based Idiocy
« Reply #14010 on: April 18, 2013, 01:07:24 am »

After spending some time staring at the AM's reply, Exit tinker and VR, sigh, look around the room, shake myself slightly and stretch for a moment to remove stiffness, and finally amble off to the barracks, hands held behind my back, looking down and to the right. upon arrival, look around the room, then go stand in front of Feyri, and lean forwards slightly while looking up at her, hands still held behind my back, with my head tilted to the left. make and hold eye contact.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14011 on: April 18, 2013, 02:03:23 am »

Quote from: Lenglon
((i suggest looking up the kinetic shunt from the armory list (uncon) ))
The kinetic shunt CAN be used as a shield, however
A. It requires intelligence.
B. It is not automated. The user must be actively blocking for it to work.
C. It requires a roll. A roll means there is a chance of failure.
So it all depends on what you want. If you want to charge into crossfire and then kill your attackers by throwing their bullets back at them (shouting BANG! BANG! optional) then go kinetic shunt and hope you have the skills to use it. If you want to survive a hidden sniper shot, go civic defender armor. If you want to survive a hidden boulder falling on your head go battlesuit. If you want to survive all of the above and still be able to fit in corridors, go auto manipulator shield, although the shield cannot be used offensively except maybe by throwing rocks at an enemy and having the shield accelerate them or as a short range weapon, blasting everything around you. Also, neither of those manipulators offers long term protection against radiation, unlike the battlesuit.))

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14012 on: April 18, 2013, 02:48:45 am »

Walk out of the strip club like the energy killing badass i am, while insulting physicists.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14013 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:38 am »

Is there a way to make an anti-amp? Like an automatic amp that detects the effects of an amp in a very small area, where the user is, and proceeds to create opposite effects, for example a microwave amp that stops the heating from a microwave amp attack by using cold to keep the temperature.

Ask.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14014 on: April 18, 2013, 12:45:26 pm »

Quote from: Lyra to AM
how expensive would this be?
price check?

((shielding isn't free, and i'm trying to keep the price as low as i can. i'll just suffer with it while i'm in a MK1 suit, but i know i'll need to do something about it if i get a MK2 or MK3))
Well, here's the thing Automanips have a low end cost of about 5-6 tokens. And then there's the 3 or so for the power system, the 3-4 for the magnetic field projectors, and the 2-3 for assembly and misc parts. So it's already not cheap.
O.o
((i'll edit this when i come up with something))
((EDIT: 10 hours later, and i've got nothin. i've got a couple ideas for removing the automanip, but the other sources of the pricetag are too big of a problem for me to handle.))

Such is the problem with these sorts of designs. Tinker lets you make whatever you want but there's no guarantee you'll be able to afford it.

"~I'm not entirely sure why, but I feel filthy watching this!"

Quick, change the channel! Watch something wholesome.

Topless book burning it is!

Punch Space Pope.
[dex:3]
[str:3]
You give him a light punch in the arm and call him "Bro-lizard"

Hmm. Approaching velocity is the problem, it seems. Will solve.

Enter Tinker.

Attempt to create a Kinetic Shunt paired up with a system that detects all incoming objects and creates a protective bubble when something is very fast by activating an said Kinetic Shunt, then sending the objects in a direction of the user's choice. Essentially the bullet catcher thing from District 9; automatic rather than activated; works basically like a mixture of a Vector Manipulator and a ... actually just an automated Vector Manipulator.

Modify a Vector Manipulator Amp to automatically detect incoming projectiles by hooking up to the user's suit/something (maybe puts out an electromagnetic wall that detects when an object is moving sufficiently fast to injure user; can also be activated by thought) and halting them, retaining their kinetic energy using Kinetic Shunt tech, and then directs the projectiles toward a direction of the user's choice (indicated by eye movement/blinking), making the projectiles go in that direction with the same velocity they moved toward the user with. To put it succinctly, the bullet catcher thing the mech had in District 9.

You know we have a automanip like that already right? No one ever bought it though. You could get one that either just stops projectiles or one that reflects them.

Get bored. Wonder why the OP doesn't contain a list to all the programs, or a link to such a list. Pull up a list of those programs, looking for the ones I haven't tried.
Because vr is just a side thing. If I listed every option for everything on the ship the OP would be massive.

Battle of Hexbarax
poacher
punch many things
tinker
duel
Captain Tinbeard's space mariner text adventure

((PW: I can't find your answer to how much armor the Scout Eye could be given without hampering its movement speed substantially.))

A thought occurs to Celeste. "Hmm... Could the Scout Eye perhaps be used for other things if properly equipped?"
Pull up the Scout Eye specs. In addition, pull up 3D models of the Scout Eye, the laser from a hand laser, a coagulant booster capsule, a cutting torch, and the medicine injection port from a suit. Attempt to find spots on the Scout Eye where the following items could be attached without obscuring its vision or hampering its movement (not all at once, of course; one spot for one item, to be used with one Scout Eye):
-The hand laser.
-A slot or container, similar to the slot that a medicine capsule is inserted into on a suit, in which a medicine capsule can be carried and dispensed from.
-A cutting torch.

((I may not be able to have pokemon, but dammit I'm going to have something working at my beck and call!))
Making yourself a drone eh? Well, I can tell you that it can't really be armored if you attach all this stuff to it; unless of course you increase the force of it's thrusters. But your plans of a cutting, med dispensing, weak laser firing drone work fine. Easily even.

Spawn in a random current HRMC member as a spotter. Create camoflague. Line up a shot, then fire on the leader..
Are you really sure you want to say randomly? Because I will pick the worst one. You know I will.

After spending some time staring at the AM's reply, Exit tinker and VR, sigh, look around the room, shake myself slightly and stretch for a moment to remove stiffness, and finally amble off to the barracks, hands held behind my back, looking down and to the right. upon arrival, look around the room, then go stand in front of Feyri, and lean forwards slightly while looking up at her, hands still held behind my back, with my head tilted to the left. make and hold eye contact.
You mosey to the barracks. It's a lot like ambling, but with more swagger.

Walk out of the strip club like the energy killing badass i am, while insulting physicists.
"Fucking Niel Bohr's university of theoretical getting your ass kicked!"

You walk outside, over near the space cycles. Hmm. Now what?

Is there a way to make an anti-amp? Like an automatic amp that detects the effects of an amp in a very small area, where the user is, and proceeds to create opposite effects, for example a microwave amp that stops the heating from a microwave amp attack by using cold to keep the temperature.

Ask.

"Such things exist, yes. Automanips mostly. Microwave ones that cheap things at a certain temperature, for instance. Useful for countering a specific threat you know is coming.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14015 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:50 pm »

((@Xantalos: Looks like I was wrong after all. Sorry.))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14016 on: April 18, 2013, 12:58:13 pm »

Think of a good song to sing while watching topless book burning. Enjoy watching topless book burning. Create detailed description of what topless book burning entails, exactly. Who's topless, what books are burned, where does it happen and, of course, the ever-elusive "why"?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14017 on: April 18, 2013, 01:20:45 pm »

((Obviously the books are topless.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14018 on: April 18, 2013, 01:27:47 pm »

((oh dont worry PW, I'll be back. That floating fireball will be mine! *cue maniacal laughter*))

((oh, and Lyra swaggering isn't her style. amble really was the right word. Besides, who watches westerns nowadays?))

((and i was waiting for either Elizas or Ivan to be his spotter too...))
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 01:55:17 pm by Lenglon »
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Grunhill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14019 on: April 18, 2013, 01:40:11 pm »

Is there a universal one? And what are the base prices to have one of those?

Ask.
>Probably. They're bad news. Very good at hiding and very good at killing. Then again, no one is better at killing then the HMRC.

"Steve, they're trying to talk to us. We need an orbital bombardment NOW!"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14020 on: April 18, 2013, 02:09:25 pm »

Microwave ones that cheap things at a certain temperature, for instance. Useful for countering a specific threat you know is coming.

((Suddenly, I have found a very good anti-laser defence. Just hook up this automanipulator to a generator, and have the field set to just outside of your armor.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14021 on: April 18, 2013, 02:12:09 pm »

Microwave ones that cheap things at a certain temperature, for instance. Useful for countering a specific threat you know is coming.
((Suddenly, I have found a very good anti-laser defence. Just hook up this automanipulator to a generator, and have the field set to just outside of your armor.))
((Except for the fact that automanipulators require special batteries. If you were to use a brain with an amp installed however... I'm sure a teammate would "volunteer" to become a ghost gun.

EDIT: And I just realized that the mere existence of ghost ships tells us something about the nature of manipulators. They had to put people with amps in their brain in the ghost ship. If the brain acted merely as a computer, solving equations, they would have gotten the same or better results with a wetware AI or an actual silicon (or whatever they use at this day and age) computer. The fact that they had to use humans in a ghost ships tells us that manipulators cannot work without humans, or at least something that humans have, the same thing that is probably inside manipulator batteries.

Or maybe it tells us that humans are cheaper then wetware AIs. But I'm pretty sure it's the first one.))
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:17:36 pm by Parisbre56 »

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14022 on: April 18, 2013, 02:25:24 pm »

((Except for the fact that automanipulators require special batteries. If you were to use a brain with an amp installed however... I'm sure a teammate would "volunteer" to become a ghost gun.

EDIT: And I just realized that the mere existence of ghost ships tells us something about the nature of manipulators. They had to put people with amps in their brain in the ghost ship. If the brain acted merely as a computer, solving equations, they would have gotten the same or better results with a wetware AI or an actual silicon (or whatever they use at this day and age) computer. The fact that they had to use humans in a ghost ships tells us that manipulators cannot work without humans, or at least something that humans have, the same thing that is probably inside manipulator batteries.

Or maybe it tells us that humans are cheaper then wetware AIs. But I'm pretty sure it's the first one.))

((Isn't a ghost ship essentially a wetware AI taken to the limit, and perhaps not even that? After all, from what I understand, they are made of an amalgamation of human brains (or minds) just like Steve. And I do think that it's certainly a cost-efficiency thing here - wetware AIs are popular exactly because they're way cheaper and less potentially scary than artificial brains like you might find on an Arbiter of Peace. Not to mention that automanipulators can seemingly act without the direct presence (or at least participation) of a human being, since that would defeat the entire purpose of having one.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14023 on: April 18, 2013, 02:40:11 pm »

((And then humans were actually capable of manipulating psionics/drew power from the void and-or giant alien consciousnesses/a few other theories I have which explain why humans are needed for some stuff.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14024 on: April 18, 2013, 03:12:13 pm »

(( I have mentioned similar theories some time ago, but nowadays I think differently. It's just that humans are probably the most cost-efficient way of spamming amps.
The reason for my change of beliefs is simple: IIRC, in one of the ER talks Piecewise talked on topic of manipulators/amps and said something (loosely) like that he wanted to add magic, but as innate human ability it wasn't cool enough, so field manipulators/amps were added as magic through science. Well, of course, that's unless he was fucking with us... again. ;)

Anyway. Actually, I think that now the anomalous planetoids are revealed and mentioned as the source of "jumps" technology, their crazy surface conditions might as well be the raw "manipulator/amp" technology material. Moreover, it would make their exploration top priority - and given its extremely hazardous nature, I don't think it would be a stretch to say the whole HMR Corps could have been originally created to explore them. I mean, come on, who cares about alien can openers when you can have a field manipulator can opener instead? :P ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 933 934 [935] 936 937 ... 2101