_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5728540 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Repair and Rescue
« Reply #23220 on: January 27, 2014, 04:59:11 am »

((Can we have an unlimited stock of fission instigators? They should down an enemy ship pretty easily, with the millions of degrees and all.
((When we came to Hephaestus, we were so low on supplies our lounge TV wasn't working. And a whole lot of the planet's industrial capacity, that which we can tap into, will be directed towards repairs.

While Instigators could definitely be produced, they are massively complicated pieces of tech (consider that one costs as much as a freakin' Battlesuit, for a single shot) that couldn't be produced in sufficient number quickly enough, and the end result is the same as an impact from a considerably less advanced nuclear warhead, with the only advantage being ease of aiming. Even a direct hit from one would not be enough to down a ship in the Sword's weight class, and the range on those things is really questionable.))

((I don't know what this "considerable defence" thing means, but it seems to me like they'd just obliterate us from orbit- or outside of orbit, I guess. And all our equipment and technology was theirs to begin with, barring alien tech. Unless I'm missing something.

Edit: I just realized I'm making the same sort of needless OOC discussion that I sometimes complain about. Whoops. :P))
((It's not needless. It's exactly on topic and we have nothing better to do until PW returns from studying drunken Japanese scribbles. :)

The considerable defenses are of the "vaporize you and the horse you rode in on before you make it to planet's low orbit" variety. The primary bombardment seems like it'll consist of nuclear weapons launched from high, likely geosync orbits, which the various laser batteries will shoot down, and more likely than not the rarer effective bombardment will consist of kinetic impactors, which will probably be used to take out strategically positioned defenses so that the main attack force can land on the planet and take it back. Even the UWM aren't keen on reducing their biggest industrial world's infrastructure to dust, after all.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23221 on: January 27, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

recent events of Grate importance
*whistles innocently*

((I don't know what this "considerable defence" thing means, but it seems to me like they'd just obliterate us from orbit- or outside of orbit, I guess.
((It includes what are essentially just giant point defense lasers. Dust isn't nearly as threatening as bombs.))

And all our equipment and technology was theirs to begin with, barring alien tech. Unless I'm missing something.
((We didn't come in invading. We landed on the planet legally, then took over. One guess as to how likely it is we'll fall for that. Another as to how likely it is for the UWM to try it.
We also have some pretty damn good troops, which means that a ground invasion would require a heck of a lot of troops. Good luck smuggling those in.
And yes, we do have some tech not here originally, including a few weird alien artifacts.))

Edit: I just realized I'm making the same sort of needless OOC discussion that I sometimes complain about. Whoops. :P))
((Nah, it's great. People do this all the time. You should have seen the discussion when Unholy_Pariah tried to make a giant robot.))

((When we came to Hephaestus, we were so low on supplies our lounge TV wasn't working.
((Although to be fair, you guys seem to be pretty rough on...everything.))

((It's not needless. It's exactly on topic and we have nothing better to do until PW returns from studying drunken Japanese scribbles. :)
((Which should be some time today!))

Even the UWM aren't keen on reducing their biggest industrial world's infrastructure to dust, after all.))
((Particularly since they haven't heard of ARM yet. I believe Word of Piecewise states that they'll most likely assume this is just a worker's rebellion for a while.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #23222 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:14 am »

Spoiler:  Application (click to show/hide)

((Welp, looks like we have Elizas 2.0.  Has Erin ever raped a tiger?

Anyways, there's a minor continuity error there.  If you don't fix it, it's assumed your char is just crazy from stasis dementia and made it up.

I'm pretty sure the UWM has controlled pretty much all human worlds since the Altered Wars- which ended several centuries ago.  It's still possible your char lived on a world that lost all communication and contact with the rest of humanity during the wars though.  There's still several of those floating around IIRC.

Also, your char was likely put in one of the HMRC's stasis pod immediately upon 'hatching' from hers.  Where she probably stayed for another few centuries.  Just FYI.

As far as build goes, your skills are odd.  Transhuman profession gives a +1 to exotic rolls, and -1 to speech and charisma rolls.  But since you have zero points in exotic, it evens out to a +0.  Also, having a two in a skill is basically the same as having a one.))

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23223 on: January 27, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

((Except that you can level up to a 3 faster.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23224 on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:44 am »

((@HailFire: It's been a few centuries since the ship we are in made its last collection run of inmates - all the player characters have been in stasis for a couple of centuries. I forgot the exact amount of time, but IIRC, it's 150-300 years. And nice to see you here.))

"Great." Milno answers with a smile.

Ready for timeskip if you want to get things going. During the timeskip, assume Milno talks to the AM and keeps trying to understand the sharkmist in his free time - like discovering what exactly he can use as fuel for bodily transformations. He also does it very carefully.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #23225 on: January 27, 2014, 01:33:24 pm »

Jobasio wandered over to the infirmary bed containing the poor guy who'd tried to vomit on him.
"Feeling better, I hope?" He shook out a few pills from his bottle of painkillers and scooped them into his mouth to numb the ever-present fear he felt these days, idly watching the man. "Amazing things they're doing with medicine these days, to be sure. Why, I once had my head almost snapped clean off, and yet here I am none the worse for wear. Say, have you met Whig?"

Jobasio fondly pats the bright blue-coloured gauss rifle slung over his shoulder with a slightly unhinged smile.
"She's not much of a conversationalist, I'm afraid, but nonetheless she is my dearest friend."

>Fight the fear of my own mortality with DRUGSSSSSS.

>Babble at Fail-vomit-guy/Lerman
(?) in a friendly manner.
[will:6-1]
You self medicate in a responsible manner! The horror! THE UNIMAGINABLE ACTS OF A MAN CLEARLY INSANE!

You also go talk to the man who failed to vomit, although I'm fairly sure he's gonna leg it out of the infirmary this turn. I dunno, I haven't looked down. Bet I'm betting you. Betting you...uh...About all I can give are game systems. And tokens. And anything in this universe. Howsabout a sandwich?

Ooh! Top 10 Worst Magistars! Read that one!

Then find shocking articles not directly relevant to whatever's happening right now, read them thoroughly. So sick of everything being war, war, rebellion, war, accidental genocide, war, war, misery.

The top ten worst Magistars seems to mostly involve magistars who are historical, ie dead, ie less likely to send the author to the work camps. And there are some pretty bad ones; apparently near absolute power goes to some people's heads. Albert "Caligula" Shamshial tops the list, as his nickname would suggest, with an arms length rap sheet including the systematic killing of his political opponents, their families, their friends and their pets. As well as basically turning the population of several worlds into virtual slaves and turning his governmental building into a palace filled with a harem of slave girls and nubile young boys.

He apparently staged his own murder/suicide whilst..ahem..finishing a sexual act on one of his many young brides. In public. In an amphitheater. On the stage.

He sold tickets.

As per other complaints the populace has: There are lot of complaints but they're very mild in nature, sort of just bemoaning something rather then demanding change. Like "Man, it sucks that the tech ban is necessary. I have some really cool ideas I'd like to try out. Oh well, maybe I can get a job in a government tech team" Etc.

Exit the vr. Grudgingly give my 3 anomalous artifacts to the science folk. (The golden flaming rebar with the force field, the glowing spike, and the black diamonds). Try to barter with them, for some tokens in exchange for the artifacts.

"No." Is their response to you.

You refuse to give them the artifacts.

They pull a gun on you.

You whine.

They sigh and take your artifacts anyways. But they give you a coupon for one small artifact from Nyars.

Roll out of bed past drugged idiot and find something to do.

((Where is Radiocontrolled hiding out? Sorry for being king noob, but I don't know where to submit my application.))

((On the topic of bottomless clips, you'd need a lot of energy to provide at least a few rounds.))
((Take a look in the "Combat teams" thread.))

((Also yay! I win the bet! You owe me your right kidney Yoink!))

Something to do eh...Hmm well you could fuck about on the VR if you just want to waste time. Plenty of things to murder in there. Or, you could head into the combat teams thread and find miyamoto in person, or could sexually harass someone. That's a popular  pastime around here.

"The speed that they are reacting is unprecedented if we have already decapitated their control structure. are these outside forces?"
ask

>Yep. They're the protection detail of this planet that should have been here when we showed up but weren't because I sent them on a wild goose chase. They may be slightly miffed when they return.

"Hrm.  I haven't seen any avatars yet.  Where would I find him?  Actually, better, what's his name?  I could just text him if I knew that."

Get IC Intel about RC.

((Automanip gun shenanigans:
LESHO rounds already cost three tokens a pop.  So if you can make an automanip that can make more than one round per reload, you'll have an overall more efficient weapon.

Problem is that you're stripping the guidance system, so you won't have the amazing accuracy of a LESHO, and the automanip probably costs more than the gun.  It might still be useful as a general bombardment weapon.  Maybe.

@Manip overload shenanigans
Aside from the range issues, that might be useful, but remember that overloads are somewhat random.  Sometimes they are almighty incidents of destruction (China-9, Ice-9), sometimes they're just somewhat destructive (the two times an urban executor has overloaded one).  More importantly, in ARM operations where token cost matters rather than resource cost, the destruction is almost always too severe.  ALL -9 incidents have been very bad.   In the overall ARM war, we don't really know what the cost of a manip is.  It might be cheaper to make nukes of comparable size, simply because fissile material's comparatively easy to get.))

"Miyamoto. He's about 5 meters tall. Hard to miss him. Probably outside. "

After realizing his error, HAWKING instead decides to begin work in earnest on the Stealth Sleeve.

Create file, start with a full arm "sleeve" of whatever funky material the kids are using these days for their knitting, then copy over a basic gauss pistol. Examine pistol and strip its handle and trigger. Then search files for how the hand laser trigger mechanism works. How does it tell when someone is making a "fingergun" and differentiate that from all the other ways a hand can move.

He also Calls Grate Over.

"Hey son!
So I saw you jumped into a giant reactor and turned into hamburger.
You probably shouldn't do that, just for reference"
Alright, got yourself a wool sleeve, since it's still what people are knitting with, and your bits and bobs from various guns

Now the method the handlaser uses is rather...well, simple. It's just got contacts that run along the fingers and in the palm. So when those three lower fingers curl in and touch the palm, then all the contacts close and it sends a signal to fire.

Fine. I won't tinker now. But I've got to tinker sometime soon, I've got three projects I want to try since forever.
The Impact Hammer, the Translocator (or Blink Module, not certain about the name yet) and the Gauss Slingshot that can possibly turn into the ARM-Giver if I work on it long enough.

Go to the computers. Search for information on Xeno-Spit. What it is, where it comes from, how it's built, how it works, why it exists, etc.
You go to the computers.
You search for information on Xeno-spit.
You find their website which advertises all sorts of things about the quality of it's ingredients and synthetically replicated xeno proteins while very carefully never talking about its taste or saying you should drink it. From what you can tell they are, for legal reasons, selling it as a purely decorative bottle of fluid; much like those "Back Massagers" that Faith is always buying on Space ebay.

As per the specifications of exactly what is in it, they're not saying. Seems like a proprietary recipe they don't want other people to steal.

Check portability of dialysis machine.

((Good luck with the hiragana.))
When you say "portability" does that mean you want to walk around the ship with one or you want to carry one with you at all times.

Because frankly, I could see that going either way.

Check on Thomas.

"Are you feeling better?"

I dunno, you wanna see if you can kiss kidney failure better? It might need more then then a kiss.

((Poking at it in the nicest way: Yes, it is pride in the way of your posting. That is what I'm poking at--people jumping on a tangent, which is once a joke, and skewing it on verge of insult--the generalizations of the topic does no good in expounding the humor, or advancing it either.

Pride, GWG. Take matters into hand on why-many people believe the topic; yet still there are scholars on the matter. Scientists of religion who delve deep into the matter. Historians and scholars, even until the archaic times which speak of the topic and elucidate it so the common adage of reading and believing what is put exactly on the page is furthered into the area of understanding.

Pride, which makes you post on a whim--which does not dictate if or whether what you're saying is neutral to many, or by how your wording may transgress any sort of unspoken rule, or be neutral enough to not confer a feeling of narrowmindedness.
The example at hand speaks of taking things literally-and the matter at hand being what is in the Bible. Most things, are not to be taken literally--they were written at a timeframe where the people would understand the metaphors, yet by time passing the line between us understanding the written text; given how it is transcribed and translated as-is, is blurred by how the ancients understood it. A line that is hard to understand without prior research.

Do not impute what you-or as a general matter, the populace of today sees in a book, and takes for granted-or in the least at hand, as determined fact-towards the time it was written and the people who wrote it.

And yes, carrying on an argument in-thread is quite irrelevant, which is also why I asked to stop it. PW was making...his own style of joke, but then it carried on. I kept to brevity to wonder if a PM would be done--my mistake is not doing it in the first place if it would mock your...pride.

For posterity: I have, and have never intended, to target anyone in particular--just the aspect of the person that is showing instead of the person. I also have not said anyone is an idiot-though the term may have gone into misunderstanding to how its usage stems. Do not take it personally, and I advise to take a moment and calm down before continuing this. Apologies if certain areas were hurt, but none of that was ever in my motive or intent.))
Interpreting the bible as a non-literal book of moralistic fables  akin to Aesop's tales rather then a literal be all, end all guide book for everything from morality to science?

Oh Ti, what a silly, unamerican idea.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic with that joke. I no more blame YHWH for the difficulty of learning Japanese then I blame Shiva for the invention of the atomic bomb, no matter what Oppenheimer might say.

And much like Ponies, despite my own personal apathy regarding the subject, I feel it best we keep religion (and politics) out of the gameosphere. Because, much like ponies, they tend to be polarizing topics that start potentially endless arguments which never really go anywhere.

Also, yay, I figured out the trick to make Tiruin start posting again!

Regarding the argument in here, I'd appreciate it if people could contain themselves with more vigor.

Oh yeah I'll make sure they get along Toady.

This is the RTD Board's Magnum Opus, I won't let anything happen to it. >_<
This and the fact that I'm currently the top of that "GM hall of fame" thing are making me feel slightly inadequate compared to all the praise being leveled at me.

Regarding the argument in here, I'd appreciate it if people could contain themselves with more vigor.
Welp, looks like I'm gonna have to Get Nyars to start beating in game characters if their out of game counterparts get too feisty.

Don't make me explain the advantages of unbroken kneecaps to you.

((Also, I don't want to clog up the thread or have it devolve into Theological discussions as well, but a PM is only 2 way... So what if I wanted to join the discussion?))
((Either use Skype, or IRC, or the PM system's multi-messaging function, which allows up to 10 participants, I think.))

Oh yeah I'll make sure they get along Toady.

This is the RTD Board's Magnum Opus, I won't let anything happen to it. >_<
* Sean Mirrsen is still sad about the loss of the RTD board's previous Magnum Opus...
Don't be sad Sean. You basically invented RTD's. Anything done with the system is simply an extension of that original creation.

Quote from: pancaek_>Armory master
Lazy? I believe we went over this in the VR training with Chin. Maximum effect with minimal input. Instead of trying to burn trough a mechsuit's plate, simply warming up a larger area to soften it up so it buckles under its own weight. Instead of trying to stop bullets from a turret, simply disengaging the switch. This sort of thing, right?

On that note, you may or may not have seen/heard about me helping the defence of the sword with a shield during our takeover, would it be possible to get some feedback on that from you, O-sensei?

I eagerly await further instruction.

Mail AM, await further teachings, engrave myself with the holy signs of the Armory Master
It was a good display, effective, but clearly borderline too much for you. Instead of attempting to stop the bullets in mid air and showing off, simply pulse a shockwave back up at the shooters. It's not sustained so it's easier, and it should deflect any initial bullets and knock down any shooters, letting your team take them out for you.

Spoiler:  Application (click to show/hide)

Welcome aboard. You need anything explained before you get flopped, naked and goo covered, out of your stasis pod?

((@HailFire: It's been a few centuries since the ship we are in made its last collection run of inmates - all the player characters have been in stasis for a couple of centuries. I forgot the exact amount of time, but IIRC, it's 150-300 years. And nice to see you here.))

"Great." Milno answers with a smile.

Ready for timeskip if you want to get things going. During the timeskip, assume Milno talks to the AM and keeps trying to understand the sharkmist in his free time - like discovering what exactly he can use as fuel for bodily transformations. He also does it very carefully.

I may ask you to repost that once we're all ready, since I might forget otherwise, unfortunately.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23226 on: January 27, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »

Yeah, I was being sarcastic with that joke. I no more blame YHWH for the difficulty of learning Japanese then I blame Shiva for the invention of the atomic bomb, no matter what Oppenheimer might say.
((That's what he actually said? I thought he later said he said that because it sounded cooler than "Holy crap!" or something to that extent.))

((Try it on SeriousConcentrate next!))
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23227 on: January 27, 2014, 01:56:31 pm »

(The best way to get me back posting? Well, you asked:

Do try to limit the amount of OOC talk. Every time I considered getting back into this I would see nothing but OOC conversations about anything except the game in all three threads and I immediately lost all interest in trying to catch up to what I had missed. Besides which, huge amounts of OOC discussion - even on-topic - makes it difficult to follow what's going on IC. I'm just saying, if you say something OOC, someone else takes an opposing side, and you want to continue the discussion... consider taking it to PMs or starting a Quicktopic or something instead of cluttering the game thread. Honestly, it's rude and inconsiderate to do so.

That being said, I'll probably be getting back into this. At some point.)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23228 on: January 27, 2014, 02:02:58 pm »

((Maybe ER needs a real OOC thread?))
Sig

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #23229 on: January 27, 2014, 02:06:21 pm »

(I brought that up to PW a month ago and he shot it down. :P)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23230 on: January 27, 2014, 02:07:15 pm »

((ER is already the first, second, and eleventh longest thread in the subforum.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #23231 on: January 27, 2014, 02:09:53 pm »

Don't be sad Sean. You basically invented RTD's. Anything done with the system is simply an extension of that original creation.
((Or promoted them so much that it caused and aroused much interest in the masses.
Through research for that RTD Library (...and Sean's own interview), he didn't invent it. Other people did from another forum then it got ported here.
Basically: Tabletop spinoff.))

Oh Ti, what a silly, unamerican idea.
((I prefer Tir, also, not American here. Filipino. :P And I did get that you were sarcastic, silly. It just got blown up after the sarcasm that it wasn't funny anymore! :)) ))

((It was also Radio Controlled's fault. :P))

(Do try to limit the amount of OOC talk.[...])
((This, too. I really would prefer the construction of an ER OOC thread, and for GENERALLY ALL OOC notes to be placed there. And followed. [like, editing the OP of all ER threads sans the OOC one with that kind of note.))

((Shoot it up again because nobody tried. :I))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23232 on: January 27, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »

((Oh yeah: Multiworld Madness indeed brought me here to the RTD board.  So go Sean!))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23233 on: January 27, 2014, 02:11:37 pm »

((If it's enough of a problem that it's driving players away...))
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23234 on: January 27, 2014, 02:26:25 pm »

((I don't know if an OOC thread would even be... well, needed. OOC is the kind of thing that just springs up spontaneously. If people had the self-restraint to go to the OOC thread to start an OOC discussion, they could just as easily go to PMs. It'd be no easier to contain discussion to the thread than to anywhere else, and the resulting thread would have nothing at all to do with ER, barring that it'd be posted in by the same people who play in ER.

Unless of course you'd want to strictly separate IC and OOC. But ER is anything but a serious RP game, so that might not turn out too well.))
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 02:29:02 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 1547 1548 [1549] 1550 1551 ... 2101