_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1813 1814 [1815] 1816 1817 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5721240 times)

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Buy a microwave amp and get it installed.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

Go and meet the doc to talk about synthflesh upgrades regarding scaling and sticking to walls/ceilings. Also to say hello

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

Alrighty. I'm gonna post the briefing for the next missions now, and we can work out who is going on them after that. I just want to get them out so that everyone is aware of what we're gonna be doing and can plan accordingly.

>These next series of missions could be particularly nasty, depending on how things go. If they go well they'll be tough. If they go poorly, I may have to end up leaving a large number of you to die on a hostile planet. Here's hoping they go well, eh?

So who here remembers the Haebi? They're an odd xeno race with parallels to fungi, plant matter, bacteria, insects and viruses. They're also one of the few xeno species that poses an active threat to the UWM and yet continues to survive. Their unique physiology and behaviors have made them impossible for the UWM to exterminate, and indeed the protocol is now one of avoidance wherever possible, and extreme force where needed. Simply put, they ignore them unless they invade a human controlled world, at which point the world is usually reduced to glass.

Here's a quick run down of their life cycle and what we know about their habits:

The basic form of the Haebi is a sort of fungal bed, a thick layer of living matter which spreads out from the original landing point of a spore. This substance will spread across the surface of a planet to the point that it engulfs the entirety of it and makes up the vast majority of the biomass of the Haebi organism. On worlds unpopulated by complex life, but still habitable, this is basically all it does, simply spread this "Skin" across the entirety of the planet and then move on to a later life stage. What makes it both dangerous and unique is what it does in response to stress. When placed under stress, usually by physical damage due to other living creatures, the Haebi organism rapidly reorganizes itself and produces specialized cells and organs to deal with this stressor. The exact response varies, but it is often brutal and almost always very effective. The "Soldier" forms which UWM military forces find themselves engaging are one example, but there are countless others, including massive terraforming organs which alter the planet to be more hospitable.

As the "Skin" matures, it begins digging down into the interior of the planet, extracting resources and energy via heat. With these, it begins building the massive "Rocket" structures that it uses to push itself out of orbit and toward new solar systems. After an initial push and careful maneuvering onto a correct path, the planet, now known as a "Spore World" goes into a mostly dormant state.  Once it reaches it's destination, it blooms and spreads spores across the entire solar system before using the system's sun to reorient itself and slingshot off towards the next system.

Beyond it's interesting method of protection, it's also unique in its intelligence. From what we can tell, it has a sort of distributed cellular intelligence; the larger the biomass of the organism, the more intelligent its actions seem to be. There are, however, specific organs which relate to intelligence, and this is the crux of our missions this time:  We are going to use the Haebi organism toward our own ends.  Near us, relatively, is one of those aforementioned spore worlds. We're heading over to it and we're going to take its brain. Or more correctly, what could be called a cluster of coordination-driving nervous tissue.  It's a big, lumpy mass of flesh that looks like a bunch of grapes and, we believe, it acts to coordinate and command the actions of other cells in the area. With this organ and samples of the "skin", we should be able to reverse engineer the creature. The applications are, I believe, self evident.

JOKER TEAM!

You have a very important task this time. Near the spore world, orbiting it at a great distance, is a UWM ship. It's an older model ship, retrofitted and automated for the task of monitoring the spore world. It lacks the capacity to reach jump speed or any artificial gravity. It was brought there in pieces using a larger ship, assembled in orbit and left behind. The crew, so to speak, takes the form of a computer with control over machines; there are maintenance droids as well as combat robots, designed to prevent anyone from boarding it. Overkill in most cases, but it's orbiting a hostile world. Here's a map of the ship created via the retrofitting schematics which I just found lying around. In a secure database.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only airlock is near the front, at the hanger. Despite the name it's relatively small, it held what amounted to rocket bikes for short range movement away from the craft. Believed to be empty now. There's a second entry point around the side of the arsenal, going to engineering. It will be much harder to maneuver into though. 

The hanger connects to the ship's central corridor, which runs the length of the vessel. It is the main thoroughfare which will let you access the different areas in the ship.

The major problem here is this: Those combat robots are gonna be nasty, very nasty, but we have to be very careful about our shooting. It's an old ship; it's not combat ready. Weapons will punch through the hull, and if they hit the fuel reserves, the generator, the computer or the data storage, even the arsenal, it could cause a great deal of trouble. We can't risk firing on it either.

There are multiple goals here, all of them important, some vitally so.

1. Gain control of the ship via the cockpit. This is of vital importance because it will give you control of the ship's arsenal. We will use the bombs in that arsenal to do two things: to distract the Haebi from your companions and to lure the spore world. This will let your comrades get off the planet without getting torn out of the skies or killed by the hordes which we assume will be coming for them. And we believe that the planet will follow that ship. At the very least it will let us leave the system without interference, but if everything goes well, it will lure the world nearer to UWM military holdings.

2. Download the data from the data storage system. This ship has been observing this spore world for decades. The data would be invaluable for deciphering how to use the Haebi.

3. Disable the main computer. This will both prevent attacks from robots, if any still exist, and will allow for full control of the ship. You'll be connecting a coms system so that it can be remotely operated. There should already be a com system on board but we'll need to destroy it and install a new one.

Another problem here is the fact that the ship isn't going to let itself be boarded easily. We've got a stealth ship from Heph that should let you get close without it seeing you, but once you get inside, it will know you're there. Regardless of how or where you enter, you're gonna get swarmed with bots. I don't know their weaponry or design, that wasn't in the remodel info, but they're more then likely going to be close range systems, designed for use in tight, zero g areas in which they don't want to damage the surroundings.  This mission will revolve around being able to move quickly and effectively, to neutralize targets and accomplish your goals. This is why we're using joker team; we need a small group, able to handle this.

EVERYONE ELSE TEAM

The rest of you have a much simpler job: We're gonna break you up into two teams and throw you down on the spore world to get that Nerve Cluster. The plan is for you to go find it and get it while the planet remains in a mostly dormant state. We're dropping you in the two most likely areas where one of the Clusters might be, but in terms of finding it in the area, thats up to you. The resistance against you will only get harder the longer you take, so you're gonna need a combination of high speed and high power to find the cluster and then survive long enough to get off the planet. There's not much more to it: Go down there, find the Nerve cluster, get it back here and don't die in the process.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll once again volunteer for Joker mission, and hope it works out better than last time(no explosives this time to kill me dead :P)

Yancy saves everything and finds whoever is in charge of recruiting for Joker missions.

"I hear you need to smash some stuff to take over a ship? I'm very good at focused violence, so point me at what you need broken and I'll break it. I can also plug things in and fix things given time."

If accepted: Go find the AM and ask "Do you have a gun that can disable/destroy bots without harming the surroundings? I want very focused destruction not wild damage. Maybe a low-power gauss pistol? Oh, and a monorazer."

If not accepted: simply buy(or acquire from pool) highest damaging weapon I can afford/wield.

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile

Buy a milnoplate helmet for 1 token. Gotta protect my brain.

Contact Milno about the new Joker mission. I have
-High handiwork, aux, and general knowledge
-A compact powerful weapon (Nyars pistol) and good accuracy
-A mk3

Sign up for the standard mission too. I want to go on that if I don't get in Joker.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 09:35:05 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile

Mission brief text catches Yaroslav in the middle of negotiating for shiny new Testament. He pauses, reads the breifing and sighs.

- Excuse me, forget Testament. One Universal Chemical Thrower, please, and as much namite tokens left can buy me. Or, if there is a cheaper fuel effective against biomass, I'll get that, in maximum quantities I can buy.

Pledge my rifle and sell back extra clips, buy said above instead, then secure a place in landing mission. Also request field-testing of Heavy Robot Body [3xBattlesuit plate version].
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 04:41:29 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica

I-I'll stay out of this one. I n-need a rest.

Take a nap.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Volunteer for Joker mission. Oh, and request a sharkmist suit.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:20:32 pm by renegadelobster »
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord

"Sounds like those aliens are controlled by some sort of telepathy. Would attempting to gain control over the mind of an alien drone with the mind control amp be possible? Or is there chance that the entire intelligence of the surrounding area will try to fight back?"

Ask Steve.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile

"Violent missions. Not much interest for me."

Chief, seeing Dubley go off to perform some form of devilry, has a thought. She walks back on over to the Armory Master.

"Synth-arm. 8 tokens. Is it one arm or two?"

Should the AM prove talkative, she asks more.

"Can I get synth-hands for less? How much?"

And if those questions get answered, why, there's a couple she can still think of.

"Can I ask for changes I want in synth-arm?"

Ask.

And if it's not too much to ask, also check up on whether my red proliferating moss (which I either put in the air vents or left in the barracks, I don't quite recall now) has survived the shenanigans of the ship.

Attend to these bits now.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

'Kyle' raises his hand.

Wolfkit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Buy a microwave amp and get it installed.
Do this, and sign up for the standard mission.
You wanna frisk this guy? This guy with the technicolor wonder limbs? The limbs that could probably slap you on several different levels of reality?
Your tabs are just pure chaos, Wolfkit.
Sig

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Han raises his hand. "I'll go on the mission, given that I can get some upgraded gear."

He then considers the teams for a second before sending a message to Miyamoto. "Hello General Miyamoto. I'm Han Thren, a new guy here. While I would be interested on going on the upcoming missions- there is a possibility of interesting opponents- I need a better suit than this one I got when I fell out of stasis. Do you have anything I could borrow?"

((Asking Miya IC for a Mk1+.))
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:32:26 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile

Ulrich Leland. Location: Hangar

"In addition I'll be joining on next joker mission if I'm accepted." Ulrich says to Milno while dumping stuff from previous mission into his locker. He also dons his MK I because why not.

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

HavingPhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Join the everyone else team.

Then again...

Try to join the joker team, and if not then join the everyone else team, since this is my first mission.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:49:44 pm by HavingPhun »
Pages: 1 ... 1813 1814 [1815] 1816 1817 ... 2101