_

_
- 0 (0%)
_
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: April 07, 2013, 10:34:35 am

Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 2101

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Maurice's One Night Stand  (Read 5730407 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette On ship Thread: Paris' accidental discharge
« Reply #29760 on: October 04, 2015, 11:38:04 am »

"Also, permission to observe the mission/listen to the comms/help provide overwatch, sir?"
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29761 on: October 04, 2015, 11:57:31 am »

"What other things are you taking?  It's unknown whether we can successfully recontain this.  You should probably take a contingency, and that contingency should not, for any reason, be a nuke.  I mean,come on, it eats heat, don't feed it to destroy it.  Overloading tests can come later, if we really must.  Some sort of corrosive agent, most likely, and a method of getting it to the place it needs to corrode.  Airdropping it?  Alternatively, if the thing could be launched into space, it would be effectively starved until we returned there."

"I like the idea of corrosive agents. If pumping refrigerants doesn't contain it, why not spew acid around and see what happens? Also, I could get to shoot some out of the chem throwers.

Requisition a strong acid, say Hydrogen Chloride in a treated, reinforced tank. I'm not carrying that thing in a glass bottle.

On the other extreme end of the corrosive substance spectrum, we could try Caustic Soda (Sodium Hydroxide), in a specially prepared and reinforced tank as well.

Let's say two canisters of each substance?

If I'm throwing chems around, I'd like some Chem-off, for the safety of everyone around me.

As for lobbing the thing into space, we don't even know what it is, or if it can be transported. I don't suppose we could drag it in a net or rope and shuttle it up above our atmosphere, can we?

As for contingencies, our aster-ex could be use to collapse the terrain, and perhaps bury the anomaly. Nukes would be more fun, but unpredictable. Rigging the place to collapse is technically more feasible to engineer."
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 12:21:02 pm by Aigre Excalibur »
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29762 on: October 04, 2015, 12:42:01 pm »

"Rigging the place to collapse would probably just make the problem worse, it'd get closer to the core's heat.  I don't know about the feasibility of transport, I don't have that much data on what the heck it actually is.  Is there anyone who knows anything about what the thing we're dealing with actually is and could they please tell us what it is?  Or what they think it is?

But if it got there, it can probably be removed again."
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29763 on: October 04, 2015, 12:57:01 pm »

I would like to spend my 5 tokens on the following items in the player market

MK II suit (listed at 2 tokens)
Defender Longcoat (listed at 2 tokens)
Blaster Pistol (listed at 1 token)

May I have better fortune than the previous owner of these items.

I would most likely lug one of the team's universal chem throwers. Can I requisition a canister of namite just in case we want to burn things down instead of freeze them. Oh, so it eats heat eh? I think I can work with liquid helium.

Wiki gnome approves this player market transaction.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29764 on: October 04, 2015, 01:58:29 pm »

"Also, permission to observe the mission/listen to the comms/help provide overwatch, sir?"
"Didn't you already sign up for the mission itself? You're currently on the roster, meaning you are supposed to be physically going in."
"I want to go on this mission.  Except I'm a complete n00b.  Augh.  If I am going, I'd like some better protective gear, though."

"What other things are you taking?  It's unknown whether we can successfully recontain this.  You should probably take a contingency, and that contingency should not, for any reason, be a nuke.  I mean,come on, it eats heat, don't feed it to destroy it.  Overloading tests can come later, if we really must.  Some sort of corrosive agent, most likely, and a method of getting it to the place it needs to corrode.  Airdropping it?  Alternatively, if the thing could be launched into space, it would be effectively starved until we returned there."

"Well, next to heat, a nuclear explosion also has the whole 'extreme overpressure and radiation' thing going. And if it can tank more than 20 psi and over 500 rem, then accidentally feeding it might not be our worst concern anymore. But, true enough, another contingency is not a bad idea.

I could add 2 containers with a strong acid or ClF3 or whatever for the chem throwers. Choose which you'd want."

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29765 on: October 04, 2015, 02:02:45 pm »

((I didn't sign up, I indicated that I *wanted* to go but was not confident enough in my gear to actually put myself forward.))
"There must have been a misunderstanding.  I do not want anything to do with potentially dying a horrible death as that thing flash-freezes me."
Mycroft laughs, a dark laugh with no real humor in it.
"So with your permission, I'd like to stay in the staging area instead, if you'll have me.  Perhaps I could lead a drone in, or something."
Sigtext

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29766 on: October 04, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »

((I didn't sign up, I indicated that I *wanted* to go but was not confident enough in my gear to actually put myself forward.))
"There must have been a misunderstanding.  I do not want anything to do with potentially dying a horrible death as that thing flash-freezes me."
"So with your permission, I'd like to stay in the staging area instead, if you'll have me.  Perhaps I could lead a drone in, or something."

"Then try to be more clear next time. And sorry, no drone, Steve doesn't like those for some reason. Best I can offer then is telling you you can probably follow the mission from the theater here on-ship. No lounging around on Hep though if you're not going on mission, unless you can get Steve to allow you to go down and so something else there. I'll take you off the mission list"

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29767 on: October 04, 2015, 02:13:15 pm »

"Then try to be more clear next time. And sorry, no drone, Steve doesn't like those for some reason. Best I can offer then is telling you you can probably follow the mission from the theater here on-ship. No lounging around on Hep though if you're not going on mission, unless you can get Steve to allow you to go down and so something else there. I'll take you off the mission list"
"My apologies, sir.  I do feel that my skills are more suited to Hephaestus than, say, going out and shooting stuff.  I'm a computer programmer.  Or, well, I was, I suppose."
Talking that is probably relevant to Steve.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:39:51 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29768 on: October 04, 2015, 07:03:35 pm »

"My apologies, sir.  I do feel that my skills are more suited to Hephaestus than, say, going out and shooting stuff.  I'm a computer programmer.  Or, well, I was, I suppose."

'You and your drones could always hide behind me, and maybe help carry a canister of ammo or two around.

I don't think any amount of equipment can actually guarantee survival. Death comes for us all eventually. But a life on the line is one worth living.'
Never ever cease communication with your enemies, never ever cease interaction with them, never isolate yourself from them. Never ignore them, relish the time to deal with them, to exercise banter. The biggest mistake one can make is ignoring one's enemies. Go out of your way to pick a fight today.

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29769 on: October 04, 2015, 07:38:49 pm »

'Chlorine-trifluoride has some hilarious overkill potential. It eats concrete and glass, has to be transported in a quartz container, and in weaponized form, it is a hazmat incident in its own right.

A more reasonable step up from HCl would be HF, which can eat organic materials too, but is that much more reasonable to contain than ClF3.

What does the team think?'
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:47:29 pm by Aigre Excalibur »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29770 on: October 04, 2015, 07:45:18 pm »

((ClF3 of course. That stuff has a long and storied history around here. Might as well keep using it.))
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Aigre Excalibur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29771 on: October 04, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »

((ClF3 of course. That stuff has a long and storied history around here. Might as well keep using it.))

((We'd have to coat everyone not in an industrial suit in chem-off just to prevent instant collateral damage on ourselves. Tell me more about historic ClF3 usage.))

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29772 on: October 04, 2015, 10:09:53 pm »

((We've put it in grenades, as bullet payloads, and even as you are doing as an option for our chem-throwers. One of the current missions I believe just used a Brisant-launched ClF3 grenade against the resident space god))
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29773 on: October 04, 2015, 10:22:50 pm »

((There is no kill like Overkill, of course. That's the HMRC Way.))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29774 on: October 04, 2015, 10:32:00 pm »

Mumble in surprise at message: "Science? Thermophages?  Ooh baby now we're talking"
Hoof it to the briefing room., talk to people:
Calmly interrupt whomever is currently suggesting ClF3: "Chlorine Trifluoride reacts extremely exothermically with almost everything, do you really think feeding it to something which finds heat delicious is such a good idea?"
Turn around before they have a chance to respond, ask miya: "Sir! Do we have any laser systems tuned for quantum cooling? Or any system capable of putting an object into a state of negative temperature? The first is likely one of the only ways we can trap a sample, the second possibly one of the only ways to destroy it if my working theory is correct, sir!"
Realize there are other people in the room, mumble apologetically to nearby people: "Oh, erm, sorry for interrupting, I am not the most, eh, vocally restrained, when, ah, excited"
Awkwardly shuffle backwards. Cease shuffling protocol and initiate attentive listening if miya addresses me.
Pages: 1 ... 1983 1984 [1985] 1986 1987 ... 2101