Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: So, there a Dwarf Fortress Book on iTunes  (Read 7299 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: So, there a Dwarf Fortress Book on iTunes
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:20:47 am »

I would pay for the TinyPirate one, if only because it's illustrated by the Bronzemurder dude.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:47 am »

I would pay for the TinyPirate one, if only because it's illustrated by the Bronzemurder dude.

And it's a real book.  8)
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:13:28 am »

Hate to break it to you guys but this has already been done before.
That guy used his own writing, not copyrighted stuff.

Whole e-books built off of wikipedia are pretty common right now.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:43:15 am »

If it's actually using material from the older Let's Play games such as Boatmurdered, there might be some trouble...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:37 am »

Boatmurdered reserved their copyright? Awesome. Smart move I guess, since it probably introduced half of people to DF for the first time.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »

Who would honestly give money for a guide to a game that isn't even finished? Remember how much of a change happened to farming in 2010 when EVERYTHING needed to be muddied first? Or the Military Screen? Or Animal Training? I feel sorry for everyone who parts money for this.
TinyPirate's book will be updated along with DF changes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 12:23:45 pm »

Tinypirate's awesome book aside, I'd take the view of this one as nothing mpre than a little free publicity for toady. Sure, mildly exploitative publicity, but publicity nonetheless.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »

Tinypirate's awesome book aside, I'd take the view of this one as nothing mpre than a little free publicity for toady. Sure, mildly exploitative publicity, but publicity nonetheless.

To be honest, if someone was selling a book with my artwork in it without my consent, you can bet your sweet posterior I'd be taking up arms against him.
<3

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 01:48:57 pm »

Sure, that'd be straight up infringement of your intellectual property. But my understanding of this is that it doesn't have any of Toady's art. Is this actually correct? I think I need some hard facts on this one. Because there really is a difference between skirting around the edges of copyright law and straight up breaking it. I still think that any publicity is good publicity, but if someone is reproducing your stuffz without permission (as opposed to just writing about it) then, IMHO, its time to break out the lawyers letters/savage beating by gangsters.   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 01:59:09 pm »

I doubt anyone will be drawn to the game because they saw a guide for it for sale on itunes.  This seems to be aimed more at people who are trying to play dwarf fortress, and haven't discovered the wiki yet.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

*finally notices the thread regarding Sankis when looking at all the above Boatmurdered comments and links* Holy -crap- what a <censored>. Not much understanding of the law, either. Still, while I disagree with him, I have sympathy for Mike Mayday (or anyone else so affected), and think that -charging- for a DF book is a bit of a sleazy move. Even so, however...

No, Boatmurdered hasn't reserved a copyright. To make things more complicated, its not clear (under the US or UK) laws whether or not a forum poster or a forum owner actually owns a forum post; there is no clear legal consensus yet as it has never been seriously tested. Even more unfortunately, even if it was copyrighted, intellectual property rights vanish without enforcement. As it has been posted in many places on the internet and redistributed, and neither Something Awful's terms and conditions nor the forum post itself have a policy on that, all of the authors (all of them) involved in the original boatmurdered would have to send c&d notices (or Something Awful, LLC) as well as make good faith legal efforts to ensure such notices were complied with to maintain it. An even bigger issue is that U.S. Law generally only recognizes original and joint works and not 'communal' works. It might actually be that the Toady one has the only -real- claim on Boatmurdered.

That being said, its a bit sleazy. You shouldn't make money off of this stuff. And I'd be annoyed if I was Mayday or someone else.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 03:24:48 pm by lastofthelight »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 12:42:46 am »

Something Awful's Let's Play forum has a terms of service that makes whatever is created there the IP of the LP'ers, as I recall. Or something like that. I haven't read it myself. That's why that topic devolved into a legal contest, really.

I also like how two of the preview pictures I notice on this have been posted on this forum as fanart by certain folks, so yeah, I'm pretty sure this fellow copy+pasted all sorts of junk. And it's a bit annoying that someone would try to make money for themselves by 'teaching' while Toady lives off of donations. Also there's that super neat wiki, which I've been using since day one for no charge.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 01:08:04 am »

No, Boatmurdered hasn't reserved a copyright. To make things more complicated, its not clear (under the US or UK) laws whether or not a forum poster or a forum owner actually owns a forum post; there is no clear legal consensus yet as it has never been seriously tested. Even more unfortunately, even if it was copyrighted, intellectual property rights vanish without enforcement. As it has been posted in many places on the internet and redistributed, and neither Something Awful's terms and conditions nor the forum post itself have a policy on that, all of the authors (all of them) involved in the original boatmurdered would have to send c&d notices (or Something Awful, LLC) as well as make good faith legal efforts to ensure such notices were complied with to maintain it. An even bigger issue is that U.S. Law generally only recognizes original and joint works and not 'communal' works. It might actually be that the Toady one has the only -real- claim on Boatmurdered.

That being said, its a bit sleazy. You shouldn't make money off of this stuff. And I'd be annoyed if I was Mayday or someone else.

Copyright is implicit in any creative work.  Sorry dude, but you legally need to have permission to take something someone else wrote and sell it, even if it's something someone wrote on a forum.  For example, about a year or two ago I would compose the occasional post in the form of a zen koan- were someone to repackage these as an ebook, I would have total legal justification to sue them. I don't know why you think it has anything to do with SA's terms and conditions or whatever, but reposting is a different thing entirely than Selling For A Profit.  As for "joint works" vs "communal works", that's a pretty hazy distinction, especially in a pay-only forum, in an opt-in thread with only a handful of active contributors.  It's not like we're talking about an open air freestyle rap contest or something here.  So yes, just because it exists in a freely viewable archive, does not make it free-to-resell.

(As an aside, I have permission from all of the original Boatmurdered crew that could be contacted, to bestow permission for such a thing, provided it is handled well and sold solely for the benefit of the Bay12 community.)

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 04:26:13 am »

To be honest, if someone was selling a book with my artwork in it without my consent, you can bet your sweet posterior I'd be taking up arms against him.

I was referring to the iTunes eBook. Apologies for lack of clarity.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 07:51:23 am »

No, Boatmurdered hasn't reserved a copyright.

You do realize that in the US at least, all works are automatically copyrighted upon creation. You do not have to go and officially get something copyrighted. You also do not have to show the (C) trademark for it to be copyrighted.

Pages: 1 [2] 3