Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: So, there a Dwarf Fortress Book on iTunes  (Read 7325 times)

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, there a Dwarf Fortress Book on iTunes
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 07:07:55 pm »

(Vherid) - it is my understanding that applies to original and not derivative works. The point that I was trying to make was that, as an arguably derivative work, it is possible that Toady actually would have the best claim on it. Failing that, the law as I understand it is that it fits with the terms and conditions of the forum it is posted on. If the forum notes it has IP rights, it has IP rights. If it notes the end-users have them, the end-users have them. If it notes nothing...there actually hasn't been a legal precedent for that yet, which is why I was babbling about terms and conditions.

HOWEVER, this is all a moot point. I read SA's terms and conditions, but not the individual Let's Play boards. If it notes the users have IP rights, then they have the IP rights. (Unless they don't.) ....I guess I'm getting a bit too in-depth for this forum. Sorry.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:10:54 pm by lastofthelight »

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 02:16:03 am »

A derivative work, as my understanding goes, would be a work 'derived' from DF itself- ie, a game with backwards engineered code or similar.

The thing with the Boatmurdered LP as an ebook is that the copyright would be on par with selling a fanfic of your D&D game.  You wouldn't be able to invoke DF's trademarks or whatever, but you could sell the actual written work itself.  Likewise, just because Toady owns DF's trademarks, that does not give him rights over Boatmurdered as an LP, with regard to the written portions.  It's a tricky edge case scenario.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 08:05:00 am »

Tinypirate's awesome book aside, I'd take the view of this one as nothing mpre than a little free publicity for toady. Sure, mildly exploitative publicity, but publicity nonetheless.

To be honest, if someone was selling a book with my artwork in it without my consent, you can bet your sweet posterior I'd be taking up arms against him.

I was referring to the iTunes eBook. Apologies for lack of clarity.

So was I! It contains artwork from numerous sources, so many that it's almost certain the author didn't bother to ask for permission from their creators (because that would mean that either most of them agreed for the artwork to be used without compensation or that the author is an extremely patient man to sign deals with all of them).
<3

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 08:21:48 am »

I was referring to the iTunes eBook. Apologies for lack of clarity.

So was I! It contains artwork from numerous sources, so many that it's almost certain the author didn't bother to ask for permission from their creators (because that would mean that either most of them agreed for the artwork to be used without compensation or that the author is an extremely patient man to sign deals with all of them).

You can tell I hadn't had my coffee. I meant to quote Deon;

Who would honestly give money for a guide to a game that isn't even finished? Remember how much of a change happened to farming in 2010 when EVERYTHING needed to be muddied first? Or the Military Screen? Or Animal Training? I feel sorry for everyone who parts money for this.
TinyPirate's book will be updated along with DF changes.
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 08:22:38 am »

Yeah, I was a bit confused with that quote. Carry on then!
<3

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 10:25:22 am »

Thanks Capntastic. That clears things up for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3]