Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Families  (Read 1609 times)

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Families
« on: August 17, 2006, 04:44:00 pm »

Do children take the last name of their parents? What about wives taking the last name of their husbands?
Do children play with toy items you can make? If so, is it just for fun, or do they start learning skills? I noticed mini-forges and toy hammers, do they let the children start out with a little skill in forging or hammering?  :D

Empirus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Families
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 06:56:00 pm »

I can't answer all your questions because I'm not that far into it myself, but I'll answer what I can:

AFAIK, Dwarves don't technically get married, they just... well... Anyway, I do know that kids will play with toys. I made a couple out of Tin to use it up, and the thought history for the kid said "She has made a satisfying aquisition(sp) lately." or something.  I don't know if they learn any skills from it, though.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »

That reminds me..

all these cups and insturments and crafts and such, can I give these to dwarves or is it just for trade?

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 08:46:00 pm »

Once you start up an economy, nobles (and possibly peasants, although I'm not certain) will start picking up stuff they like on their own.

Before my big fort went critical (stupid 6 nobles all moving in at once then going insane) I had one noble who liked rings. His room ended up cluttered with about a dozen different rings in it. Other nobles did similar with stuff they liked.

I seem to remember that Toady mentioned that pre-economy dwarves used to pick up any crafts they happened to like from the bins, but one of the patches broke it.

[ August 17, 2006: Message edited by: AlStar ]

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

I think dwarves DO get married. I once had two dwarves killed by snakemen, and one of them had a wife. The accident was very good for her: she got the room of one deceased dwarf and also the clothes of her husband! Even then she was quite unhappy. Later she had a child. All three have  different surnames.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 02:50:00 pm »

It's true, due to sheer laziness there are no rules for name transfer.  If I do that, it'd be part of the civ defs and randomizable probably.  One of the bloats is courtship and marriage, out of the current friendship system (grudges will also be added) -- right now, we only have pre-married couples arriving.

edit:  another 2 bloats involve playing with toys, and making puzzleboxes used in adventure mode -- kids don't do many interesting things right now.  They'd buy an axe or a chair if they were for sale, just like an adult.  They currently spend on their parents' account.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 05:56:00 pm »

Name transfer could be one of:

Family-Based (70%)
Purely Random (20%)
Patronym-Based (10%)

Patronym-based is just like good ol' Iceland.  If Ogir has a son, the son's name would be, say, "Anur Ogirsson".

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 03:02:00 am »

I'm afraid to see p/matronym based names once adventurers start having kids now that name entry is in.  My child would have had the F word!
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!