Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 239145 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:46 pm »

Cheer for Luigi

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #61 on: April 25, 2012, 02:34:10 pm »

Don't try for a rocket, just drive normally.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »

Cheer for Luigi
Waluigi smacks this guy on the head./:>Σ(

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2012, 02:51:33 pm »

Also, does said broad dash panel in the red/green happen...

Before or after High Accel?
At the start of the race?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2012, 03:00:00 pm »

Also also, as much as I'd like to be in more races, I feel obliged to point out that you've got me in the player list twice, and registered in both races besides.  FFS is too cool for me to deny him entry into the second race.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2012, 07:52:12 pm »

Harkinian turns to Link, who is in the kart to his right. "Link mah boi, this kart of mine is what all true racers strive for! Maybe when you flunk out of the MKL and go broke, I'll toss you a coin to get yourself some dinner! After you scrub all the floors in Hyrule, that is! OOOOAAAAHHH HOH HOH HOH HOH HOH"

Go for the ROCKET START!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2012, 08:27:47 pm »

*puts bounty out on King Harkinian*

Really though, I'm not sure whether to laugh or groan at that post. XD

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2012, 11:03:57 pm »

Harkinian turns to Link, who is in the kart to his right. "Link mah boi, this kart of mine is what all true racers strive for! Maybe when you flunk out of the MKL and go broke, I'll toss you a coin to get yourself some dinner! After you scrub all the floors in Hyrule, that is! OOOOAAAAHHH HOH HOH HOH HOH HOH"

Aaaaahh what have I allowed to exist. I watched that video longer than anyone should for any reason ever.

Also also, as much as I'd like to be in more races, I feel obliged to point out that you've got me in the player list twice, and registered in both races besides.  FFS is too cool for me to deny him entry into the second race.

Well derp.

Also, does said broad dash panel in the red/green happen...

Before or after High Accel?
At the start of the race?

Dash Panels are hit at the same time as Hazards- namely, at the start of the Movement phase. If you were entering a segment with a Dash Panel, you'd get High Accel before Player Actions, then hit the Dash Panel after. Technically the start of the Race is taking up like 1/3 of the Blue- after the start gets everyone sorted you'll enter the Red for Turn 2. That segment will go Player Action -> Dash Panel -> Rest of Movement. Hopefully it'll be clear how the turns work once we, y'know have some turns to get a feel for it.

(With High Accel, if I roll a 6 here will I end up with 4 momentum?)

Yes, 1 for rolling a 6 + 2 for Rocket Start + 1 High Accel. The only thing preventing you from Pulling Ahead right out the gate is the fact you aren't seeded- if you're in first (and with that roll, you very likely would be) you've got a fair shot to attempt it in the first segment.

What's my item?

Rolled after the Rocket Start.

Alright, OP Rankings/Race list should be squared away now- we're down to 4 slots for the third and final Qualifying Race before the Star Cup. And hey, as long as we know who the Sponsor for this race is, why don't we meet the rest of the major MKL Sponsors?

Nookington's Department Store- 8 Coin, 2 Prestige
Tom Nook built his commercial empire up from a small backwater store. Nookington's is known as a respectable but profit oriented business that deals fairly with its employees and rarely stoops to dirty tricks- at least, they've never been caught before.

Silph Co- 13 Coin, 1 Prestige
The wealthiest of the sponsors, Silph Co specializes in technical marvels and is increasingly invested in the sport of Kart Racing. However, past troubles with treacherous employees and rival businesses has made Silph Co extremely conservative and distrustful of outsiders. They prefer to sponsor a single driver and make them the face of the franchise- for as long as they are trustworthy. Silph Co refuses to consider any affiliation with Team Rocket, or any driver who has had dealings with Team Rocket.

Warioware Inc- 10 Coin, 1 Prestige
A game studio founded by none other than Wario that specializes in coming up with unique, interesting properties from a variety of developers. Unfortunately, Wario's abrasive personality drove off his friends and his new shareholders ultimately betrayed him, forcing Wario out of the company. The new management of Warioware has since gone on to achieve enormous financial success, buying out smaller developers and sucking the life from their ideas. These unscrupulous business practices have translated to their foray into Kart Racing, and they will do anything for notoriety or Coin.

Rez Media Corporation- 9 Coin, 1 Prestige
Known for churning out mass market garbage specked with the occasional gem, Rez Media is the largest single media outlet in the multiverse, focused mainly on television and movies. Not much is known about their shadowy CEO, but judging by the actions of the company he has a cold-hearted eye on the bottom line.

Nightmare Enterprises- 7 Coin, 1 Prestige
Nightmare Enterprises is a conglomeration of different products wrapped in an internet startup. NME's principle product is genetic engineering and the creation of monsters for a variety of purposes, as well as the transformation of living things. NME is also involved in arms dealing, clothing, toys, and a draconian entertainment network that features big budget movies and television shows as well as independent startups- provided they can fulfill their contracts. NME is well known for their underhanded tricks, but they always honor their contracts. A driver sponsored by NME must be wary not to cross them, however, for their wrath is legendary!

Team Rocket- 7 Coin, 1 Prestige
Team Rocket's primary operations are scientific research, but also has significant investments in the meatpacking and candy industries, as well as a healthy treasure-finding department. Team Rocket's dubious business practices and outright defiance of the law has outlawed their operations in many nations, including their native region of Kanto. Team Rocket has emerged as an unlikely sponsor of MKL due to a desire to improve their public image and make some quick Coin, but their management of their drivers indicates that they are the same old Team Rocket.

Koopa Korporation- 6 Coin, 1 Prestige
Koopa Korp is a leading producer of cheap consumer goods in the Mushroom Kingdom and is based in Dark Land, the domain of Lord Bowser. Low quality goods are compensated for by high quantity, and Koopa Korp adopts a similar philosophy in the sport of Kart racing, signing as many drivers as they can to truly meager contracts.

Diamond Software- 5 Coin, 1 Prestige
Another video game developer from Diamond city, with interests in records and comic books as well. They are the principle rival of Warioware Inc, opposing their business practices out of principle- when Warioware announced its sponsorship of MKL, Diamond Software was right behind them. Diamond Software is known as a fairly good place to work with a hatred of all things Warioware.

Hocotate Freight- 4 Coin, 1 Prestige
Hocotate Freight is an interstellar shipping company hailing from the planet Hocotate. Perennially in financial difficulties, a windfall of treasure scavenged from Planet Pikmin gave the company enough capital to sponsor MKL in the hopes of long term financial security for the company. While not known for the fantastic treatment of his employees, the President of Hocotate Freight is reputed to be a risk-taker willing to sponsor drivers nobody else will touch. Whether his foolishness will sink the company remains to be seen.

Lakitu Travel Agency- 3 Coin, 1 Prestige
The Lakitu Travel Agency is a long-time sponsor of MKL, and orchestrates journeys across worlds, solar systems, galaxies, and even dimensions. Known far and wide as a fair sponsor, LTA has found itself being out-muscled by the newer, larger sponsorship groups.

Pappy's Pizza- 3 Coin, 1 Prestige
Pappy's Pizza started out as a small pizza parlor in Brooklyn before the endorsement of the (newly famous) Mario Brothers vaulted them into the big time. Now, Pappy's Pizza Parlors are springing up across the Mushroom Kingdom, and Pappy has decided to endorse MKL to bring his product to the multiverse, as well as to sponsor the sport he loves. Pappy is widely regarded as a kind and generous employer, although with far smaller Coin reserves than the other big companies.

I'm currently munching on a way to model sponsor/driver and sponsor/sponsor relations. I've also decided that people who don't want to take the role of a driver can control one of these sponsors or create their own, although the specifics of how that'll work are also currently being worked on. The rankings of all the sponsors against one another (as well as their associated drivers) will be listed in the same place as the complete player information- namely, the between-race turns.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2012, 11:21:28 pm »

By the way, that raises the question, will players/spectators be allowed to put out bounties on drivers they're rooting against?

*Resists temptation to ask when turn 1 will be up*

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2012, 11:26:24 pm »

When Yoink posts or Monk gets tired of waiting for him.

Cough cough

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:38 pm »

By the way, that raises the question, will players/spectators be allowed to put out bounties on drivers they're rooting against?

*Resists temptation to ask when turn 1 will be up*

Yep, you can do that, you need to make a Secrecy check to hit up the Bounty Hunter's Guild without the public finding out about it (and losing fame as a result.) The BHG takes a flat 1 Coin fee for basic bounties, and may charge more if your target is a client of theirs, drives for a client of theirs, or if you want them to do more than serve as an intermediary.

Turn 1 goes up when I get an action from Yoink, and if I'm guessing his time zone right that means ~13 hours from now. The hard deadline is more like 20 hours.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:28 pm »

Take the majority vote of rocket start and let's get this show on the road! :P

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2012, 12:25:04 am »

I'm liking the idea of being a sponsor (That and if I signed up now, it would be 2 races until I get in).

So, I'm reserving as a sponsor until further instruction.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 01:35:01 am »

Take the majority vote of rocket start and let's get this show on the road! :P
Just as long as I get to go like a Kirby and be the underdog.
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »

Luigi Circuit- Turn One
Player Action

Go for the ROCKET START!

Harkinian turns to Link, who is in the kart to his right. "Link mah boi, this kart of mine is what all true racers strive for! Maybe when you flunk out of the MKL and go broke, I'll toss you a coin to get yourself some dinner! After you scrub all the floors in Hyrule, that is!"

[6] So saying, Harkinian blasts out of the starting gate with THREE Momentum, leaving the other racers choking on his dust!

Rocket Start!!!

Link is incensed by King Harkinian's infernal chuckling, and pushes his engine to the limits! [6] The gamble pays off, and Link flies out of the starting gate with THREE Momentum! His Free Item Module activates, [2] and he gets a Fake Item Box!

ROCKET START!

[5] Crank revs his engines, releasing the charge right as the green flag drops- he's off like a rocket, gaining ONE Momentum! His High Acceleration Module supercharges the turbo, granting an additional ONE Momentum!

Rocket Start

Luigi charges the Poltergust 4000, [1] but holds it in too long! Black smoke pours from the engine as the Poltergus falters on the track, losing ONE Momentum! The High Acceleration Module kicks in, sending the Kart stuttering forward with a ONE Momentum boost!

Don't try for a rocket, just drive normally.

Kirby plays it safe, keeping his engines warm but not charging them- when the green flag drops, Kirby scoots out the gate with ONE Momentum!

Quote from: Yoink
...re-establishing connection...

Fox McCloud takes the safe option, following Kirby onto the track with ONE Momentum! His High Acceleration Module activates, kicking him forward with an additional ONE Momentum!

Tie-Breaking

King Harkinian and Link are bumper to bumper with Crank coming up alongside, clashing for the lead! [3]vs[1]vs[5] Suddenly, Harkinian veers hard to the right, sending Link sliding back into third and causing him to lose ONE Momentum!

"Better luck next time, mah boi! OAAH HOH HOH HOH"

Crank, seeing King Harkinian too busy gloating to pay attention to the track, uses the opportunity to squirt ahead into First Place!

Fox McCloud is in fourth and Kirby is in fifth, ahead of the hapless Luigi! Fortunately for Luigi, everyone is too bunched up at the start of the race for him to Fall Back and his High Acceleration will kick in next turn, getting him right back in the thick of things!

THE RACE IS ON!
1st      2nd      3rd      4th      5th     6th

Spoiler: King Harkinian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luigi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crank (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fox McCloud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Info (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:09:01 pm by monk12 »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 73