Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 237469 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 12:27:36 pm »

In as MonkeyKong...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Being a robot ninja pirate monkey, he is Highly Manouverable. Heres hoping for a nasty flaw to make things hilarious.
You only have 5 coins to buy things with. Highly manouverable cost 6.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »

In as MonkeyKong...

Being a robot ninja pirate monkey, he is Highly Manouverable. Heres hoping for a nasty flaw to make things hilarious.

Oh, buggery, silly oversight on my behalf. Instead lets go for... Speedy. Evil can wait until I get cash together.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 12:32:48 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »

WAAAA! Waluigi would sponsor someone but they are all losers compared to WALUIGI!

...Waluigi has an idea! Waluigi will sponsor Grimtoad and is certainly not trying to sabotage him for vengeance!

Waluigi likes talking in unreadable colors!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:21 pm »

Just posting to add my emblem:

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2012, 12:50:26 pm »

I can read that purple font just fine, actually. Anyway, considering how everyone's buying all these 3-coin modules, there's a definite chance of racers going bankrupt after their second race. Is there any contingency planning for that, or is that simply "Game over"?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2012, 12:51:04 pm »

I can read that purple font just fine, actually.
*insert rant about idiot kids using default forum layout who should get off my lawn*

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:17 pm »

I can read that purple font just fine, actually. Anyway, considering how everyone's buying all these 3-coin modules, there's a definite chance of racers going bankrupt after their second race. Is there any contingency planning for that, or is that simply "Game over"?
A race only costs 1 to enter, so they'd be able to enter a second race to. In that second race they will most likely be contacted by the Bounty hunters guild, or other nefarious sponsors, so they'd be able to solve their losses then. Besides, the Top 3 gets prices.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2012, 01:27:35 pm »

Please note my new avatar.

Hey! I am not SirWho!

...Waluigi has an idea! Waluigi will sponsor Grimtoad and is certainly not trying to sabotage him for vengeance!

Yes. We are officially extending the Waluigi Intermission.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »

Does this work?  Emblem coming... at some point.

Racer: Vaati
Kart: Hurricane Eye
Module Benefit: Speedy

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2012, 02:06:06 pm »

Hello Racing fans, and welcome to the inaugural race of the restructured Mushroom Kart League! I'm Jim,
and I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu Bothers!
We're reporting live from Luigi Circuit in the heart of the Mushroom Kingdom for the first leg of the Star Cup Chase. As we all know, the MKL has experienced an EXPLOSION in popularity across the multiverse- this ain't your daddy's League!
It sure isn't, Jim! With the positively staggering amount of sponsorship money flowing into the sport we can look forward to more frequent, more crazy races this season!
And with more races and more cash come more drivers- everyone is looking to get a slice of the MKL pie! The Star Cup is unusual in that every race will be populated entirely be rookies, trying to prove they have what it takes to succeed to the many Sponsors watching today!
That's right Jim! The winner of today's race will not only secure a place in the prestigious Star Cup, but rumor has it that Nookington's Department Store has a lucrative sponsorship deal just waiting to be signed!
Today's race is brought to you by Nookington's- Nookington's! For all your variety needs, shop at Nookington's! All your friends are doing it!
Now let's go down to the track!

Not Shit Map courtesy of freeformscholar
Luigi Circuit is one of the oldest, most straightforward tracks on the Prix, named in honor of Luigi Mario, hero of the Mushroom Kingdom.
Sure is an unimaginative name, Jim!
Sure is, Bob! Luigi Circuit has been recently updated to keep up with the changing sport while still maintaining that old Kart feel.
The wide turns and broad straightaway provide a constant +1 bonus to Power Slides- this will be a fast race, Jim!
You can say that again, Bob, because this course is just chock full of Dash Panels! Drivers enter the RED and GREEN straightaways through a broad Dash Panel that provide +1 Momentum! The straightaways can also be quite dangerous, as there is no wall separating the RED and GREEN portions of the track- attacks can be targeted against any player in that segment as if they were in the segment of the attacker!
The first curve is the PURPLE segment, and contains the course's only hazard- a Chain Chomp is staked slightly off the track to the right, flipping any driver foolish enough to drive too close! Fortunately, this is a very easy hazard to avoid, and drivers have a +2 bonus to their dodge rolls!
The PURPLE and BLUE curves each have 2 paths- drivers who stick to the inside loop will hit the course's Item Boxes, and Power Slides always allow a free Pass Attempt, even if the slide fails! However, drivers can also swing wide to hit a long series of Dash Panels which provide a guaranteed ONE Momentum!
Talk about your Fast Tracks! Players who do not specify which way they go are assumed to take the inner loop. This race is 3 laps long, with an average completion time of 12 turns. Think we could see some records broken today, Jim?
Sure do, Bob! We've got some fierce competitors in today's race, and there they are at the starting line!
Kirby of Dreamland will be driving the only unmodified Kart today- a safe move that we all hope will work out for him. King Harkinian of Hyrule is notoriously difficult to leave behind, but unsubstantiated rumors have circulated claiming the weapons system for his Kart may be faulty!
Faulty weapons and Kart Racing go together like grenades and ice cream, Bob! We've also got a celebrity in the lineup today, the very same Luigi whom this course is named for! He's quick on the gas, but always seems to have trouble breaking away from the pack. Fox McCloud, formerly of the famous Star Fox Mercenary group, is another racer with a lot of burst, but he's got poor drafting skills.
Link of Hyrule is also known for his poor drafting, but he's always got a trick up his sleeve- or an item, anyway!
He'll need every trick he can get if he's racing against his own King, Bob! The final driver today is Crank, a Gloomba from deep beneath the Mushroom Kingdom- not often you see one of those, Bob!
No you don't, Jim- my sources say that Crank is none too pleased with his mechanic after his High Acceleration Module started interfering with the responsiveness of his steering wheel! With this direct interference to his preferred style of driving, rumor has it that Crank is trying to trade the Module and may even eschew its use in today's race!
Time will tell, Bob. The driver's are at the starting gate, ready to battle it out in the first race of the Chase for the Star Cup... right after these commercial messages! Stay tuned!

Note that the alternate path described in the Purple and Blue curves does not require an action to take- just specify which path you follow when you enter the curve.

The race is now starting, so I need actions! The first turn is a special turn, since the only action possible is the Rocket Start. If you go for a Rocket Start you may gain extra starting Momentum heading into the Red straightaway, but risk Critically Failing and possibly falling back right at the start of the race. Choose wisely!

You have ~24 hours to submit an action- failure to do so results in your Kart taking the Defensive Driving action.

Only if you make every turn purple.

DON'T TEMPT ME

Except Bradley's floating so for him it's more of a low five.

Spoiler: d'awwwww (click to show/hide)

EDIT: I forgot the red helmet. Hold on!

EDIT2: Fixed sloppily.

Dammit, now I need to make a fan art section. Stop being so awesome! Or, y'know, carry on.

In as MonkeyKong...

Oh, buggery, silly oversight on my behalf. Instead lets go for... Speedy. Evil can wait until I get cash together.

MonkeyKong
Module Hiccup: Rubber Band Back- Racing Checks made to Pull Ahead suffer a -1 penalty.

WAAAA! Waluigi would sponsor someone but they are all losers compared to WALUIGI!

Waluigi likes talking in unreadable colors!

*begins contemplating player-driven sponsorship methods*

A race only costs 1 to enter, so they'd be able to enter a second race to. In that second race they will most likely be contacted by the Bounty hunters guild, or other nefarious sponsors, so they'd be able to solve their losses then. Besides, the Top 3 gets prices.

Basically, yes. I figure, assuming every racer buys one, then after the first Prix there'll be 9 racers with 1 Coin. Assuming none of them are able to land a sponsorship deal before then, by the time they're entering new races there should be enough going on metagame-wise to justify some... alternate revenue streams. In the event somebody does go Bankrupt and no sponsors are willing to bail them out, then that character is done but the player can just roll a new Rookie.

Does this work?  Emblem coming... at some point.

Racer: Vaati
Kart: Hurricane Eye

Vaati
Module Hiccup: Featherweight- -1 on Ram Checks.

Huh- 2/2 on the Speedy/Featherweight combo. Welp, ya'll been added to the Rankings and will see action in the third Race.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:28:50 pm by monk12 »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:53 pm »

What's my item?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 02:14:26 pm »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »

I'll use the module- I'll just have to modify my planned tactic.  It'll work for this race anyway. (Though I kind of wish I had just saved up.  Oh well- when I win this race, I'll have a sweet sponsorship deal and tons of money and women, so I'll be able to get that Highly Maneuverable part.)

ROCKET START!

(With High Accel, if I roll a 6 here will I end up with 4 momentum?)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:18:20 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 02:24:43 pm »

With high acceleration, there's no reason not to attempt it, as I'll start with at least one momentum regardless, and this will probably put me towards the front of the pack.

Rocket Start

Also, I figure I'll name my kart the Poltergust 4000, just like in Mario Kart DS. ;)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 02:25:21 pm »

Rocket Start!!!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 73