Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 238739 times)

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #195 on: May 03, 2012, 01:44:25 pm »

Aggressive! Use Blue Shell!

I knew it. I KNEW IT. Items will be the death of me. Anyway, does the +1 from the power slide apply to the pulling ahead roll? I hate to do this to myself, but if not then I can't pull ahead, thanks to my module's hiccup. (But at least then Scelly would get a Boo instead of a blue shell, far less dangerous to me.)

If the blue shell/pull ahead still happens, share the blue shell's effects with Crank, and hit the outer dash panels to avoid falling back.

If not and I'm navigating the straightaway, power slide once more and hope to actually pull ahead this time.

Another edit:
One more thing, shouldn't Kirby have gotten a shot at the item boxes?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:51:33 pm by Nicholas1024 »

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 03, 2012, 01:54:11 pm »

Assuming you don't make a new Branch of Silph Co for Mario to represent (although if you do, may I recommend the Tiksi Branch?) I'm going to rule that having 2 drivers for 1 slot means you gain the benefit of their average Fame, and they're treated as one person for the purposes of Image (so that'll stack.) Negotiations won't be finalized until the RP segment following this Race- I'll go into more detail then.

That sounds fair enough to me. Seems like opening the Tiksi Branch would probably be a good idea if I wanted to support a secondary racer. The idea with the Mario Bros was that because they are brothers and can project that 'Keeping it in the family' mentality they would be a perfect fit. Averaging Fame makes sense and having Image stack seems fair. Of course they'll have to discuss between themselves if they want to join as a team of if they prefer to keep their independence. Exciting times are in store for Silph Co, mark my words!
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 03, 2012, 03:29:40 pm »

Aggressive! Use Blue Shell!

I knew it. I KNEW IT. Items will be the death of me. Anyway, does the +1 from the power slide apply to the pulling ahead roll? I hate to do this to myself, but if not then I can't pull ahead, thanks to my module's hiccup. (But at least then Scelly would get a Boo instead of a blue shell, far less dangerous to me.)

If the blue shell/pull ahead still happens, share the blue shell's effects with Crank, and hit the outer dash panels to avoid falling back.

If not and I'm navigating the straightaway, power slide once more and hope to actually pull ahead this time.

Another edit:
One more thing, shouldn't Kirby have gotten a shot at the item boxes?

Oh bloody hell (stupid hiccups.) Yeah, that shouldn't be- the turn has been edited so you and Crank are no longer out in front, and Link has a Boo. Scelly9 needs to post if he wants to change his action or use the Boo.

Kirby didn't go for an item box because he already has a Star.

Waitlist me as Dry bones for third race if possible please? Also if someone wants ceo/company idea, could be interesting if umbrella corp enters the scene.

Done and done!

Assuming you don't make a new Branch of Silph Co for Mario to represent (although if you do, may I recommend the Tiksi Branch?) I'm going to rule that having 2 drivers for 1 slot means you gain the benefit of their average Fame, and they're treated as one person for the purposes of Image (so that'll stack.) Negotiations won't be finalized until the RP segment following this Race- I'll go into more detail then.

That sounds fair enough to me. Seems like opening the Tiksi Branch would probably be a good idea if I wanted to support a secondary racer. The idea with the Mario Bros was that because they are brothers and can project that 'Keeping it in the family' mentality they would be a perfect fit. Averaging Fame makes sense and having Image stack seems fair. Of course they'll have to discuss between themselves if they want to join as a team of if they prefer to keep their independence. Exciting times are in store for Silph Co, mark my words!

That's the idea, yep yep!

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 03, 2012, 05:24:12 pm »

Db silently cursed the poor seats he was stuck with. Figures he would get stuck behind the hulking figures blocking his view of the track, and of his view of the screens around the arena. Strapping a pair of binoculars to his face, separating his head from his torso, and placing it on top of a cheap flag he bought from the gift shop, he hoisted it into the air to get a better view of the racers. 'Oh the joy I shall have once I blow you off the track and drive over your karts remains..' he thought to himself before rattiling his lower jaw to create his signature laugh, and causing his head to fall off the flag and onto lap of the person infront of him causing the massive figure to yell in suprise and disgust before tossing it into the trash. "And thats why I don't bring my family to these events anymore Frank.  Just the stuff these crazed fans do to each other is something I don't want to expose to my kids." OOC: Don't rp a lot so sorry for any errors. Posting from a phone doesn't help either.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 03, 2012, 07:25:15 pm »

Arg!  Remind me to beat those mechanics.

Drive aggressively dammit!

"Come back here, green boy!"

Speaking of sticky wheels, how does a goomba steer?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2012, 07:43:18 pm »

Speaking of sticky wheels, how does a goomba steer?

Very carefully.

Anywho, as we wait for the last few actions to trickle in, the planning for Cerulean Speedway has finished! BEHOLD!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh stop gouging your eyes, it isn't that bad. Though if somebody feels like prettying it up, it would be greatly appreciated by basically everyone!

RED->PURPLE->GREEN->BLUE

RED is Nugget Bridge- Small, intermittent Dash Panels give +1 bonus to Drive Aggressively checks. The walls of the bridge are up, preventing accidents. The end of Nugget Bridge features a small supply of Item Boxes- Hazard Checks to hit a box start at +1, and each item taken imposes a cumulative -1 to subsequent attempts.

PURPLE is a maze of trees which impede progress. Drivers make a Hazard Check (at +1 bonus) to avoid hitting a tree, losing TWO Momentum. Scattered among the trees are Item Boxes- Hazard Checks to hit a box receive no bonus.

GREEN is a broad curve that passes between Bill's Sea Cottage and a pond teeming with playful Goldeen. Green features a Split- Drivers can take the safe route and go the long way, getting +1 to Power Slides and hitting a cluster of Item Boxes (+2 to hit,) or they can elect to take the short way, a bridge that cuts over the ponds. Taking the bridge grants TWO Momentum, but drivers must dodge the Goldeen- the Goldeen spray water at one another over the bridge, and dodging the blasts is a Hazard Check made with a +2 bonus. Failure causes a flip. Drivers who Spin Out or Flip on the bridge for any reason must make a Racing Check (+1 bonus) to avoid falling in the water and Falling Back.

BLUE is the final leg back to the start. A narrow coastal road winds downhill towards Cerulean Gym- drivers who get Rammed, Spin Out, or Flip must succeed on a Racing Check (+1 bonus) to avoid falling in the water and Falling Back. Power Slides receive neither bonus nor penalty on this segment.

That's what the Planning Committee says should happen, anyway- does this course seem like a good idea or bad idea?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:15:39 pm by monk12 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:49 pm »

So if you drive defensively over the bridge, you're guaranteed 2 momentum assuming no other drivers interfere?  It's a deceptively bloody course since the two danger zones are preceded by several clusters of item boxes.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2012, 09:15:08 pm »

So if you drive defensively over the bridge, you're guaranteed 2 momentum assuming no other drivers interfere?  It's a deceptively bloody course since the two danger zones are preceded by several clusters of item boxes.

Yeah, my initial intention was for drivers to be constantly watching their backs as they cross the bridge, but the more I think on it, Defensive Driving gives a bonus to dodging player attacks, too... the other half was I wanted the bridge to be more effective than the big Dash Panels we've seen here on Luigi Circuit. Looking at it with fresh eyes, though, I see that on the whole this is a slower course, fewer dash panels and powerslide-friendly corners so guarenteed One Momentum is going to be a solid inducement for that path, even weighed against the Item Box/Powerslide outside.

Also, BLUE should provide neither bonus nor penalty to Power Slides. Forgot to copy that bit over. Derp.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2012, 09:21:06 pm »

Upon further thought, I'm changing my action. I'd rather not get passed, and the best way to do that is to have more momentum, so I'll instead

Drive aggressively through the straightaway.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2012, 10:01:24 pm »

I will pretty it up sometime later. In fact, I'll do it Pokemon style.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:51 pm »

Here is the bio for Pengu Games

Pengu Games originated as a penguin living in sherbet land who realized how cute people think penguins are. From then on, that penguin gathered a group of friends to start making games about various adventures penguins had had. It was a huge success, and soon after penguins came from everywhere to try and get a piece of the fame. They like keeping a clean image, and generally won't undertake scandal.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2012, 02:10:20 pm »

I am inspired to design a track!

Gloomba Grotto!

A subterranean race through the caverns below the Mushroom Kingdom, this course is a five-part track characterized by several tricky stretches of track.

Green Section:  The race starts in an wide, open cavern that ends in a broad curve toward the harder parts of the track.  The section grants a +1 bonus to power slides.

Red Section:  Though the track is starting to narrow here, there is one broad area that has a short line of item boxes on either side.  Drivers who want an item must choose either Right or Left- if everyone goes to one side, you may have trouble finding an available item box.  At the end of the section is a very sharp right turn that requires a +1 Racing Check to navigate.

Blue Section:   The cavern opens back up here, as the track takes a loop around a deep lake.   The main track section is another broad curve that works well for power sliding (+1).  An alternative shortcut is available, requiring racers to make a jump over the lake.  The jump requires a +1 Racing Check to successfully navigate- having Mushroom assistance on the jump increases the bonus on the check to +3.  Fail the jump, and you land in the lake and Fall Back.

Purple Section:  Stalagtites and stalagmites litter this narrow, rocky section of track.  They constitute a +1 Hazard Check.  Failure results in spinning out and losing two momentum.  There is a dash panel at the start that is optional- hitting it gains you one momentum, but results in the hazard checks being made with no bonus!

Orange Section:  As you emerge from the narrow Purple Section, the cavern opens back up to a mostly straight section as a home stretch.  There is a broad line of item boxes (+1 to hit) and dash panels to give one momentum and a fast finish!

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2012, 03:44:35 pm »

Inhale the kart, gain Wheel ability, use star, DRIIIIIIIIVE agressive
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2012, 09:28:05 pm »

Luigi Circuit- Turn Eight
1st      2nd      3rd      4th      5th     6th
Player Action

Upon further thought, I'm changing my action. I'd rather not get passed, and the best way to do that is to have more momentum, so I'll instead

Drive aggressively through the straightaway.

Luigi hits the gas through the straightaway, [1] but cuts too close to the grass, losing ONE Momentum!

Arg!  Remind me to beat those mechanics.

Drive aggressively dammit!

Crank also hits the gas (somehow) [6] and whips down the track at a blistering pace, perfectly riding the edge of the pavement! He gains THREE Momentum!

"Come back here, green boy!"

Quote from: Yoink
...establishing connection...

Fox McCloud paces himself, Driving Defensively!

Quote from: Gatleos
...establishing connection...

King Harkinian also shows uncharacteristic restraint, Driving Defensively!

Aggressive!

Link tries to separate from the vengeful Kirby, [2]-1 but by concentrating too much on what's behind him, he fails to keep track of what is before him! He slides into the dirt, losing ONE Momentum!

Inhale the kart, gain Wheel ability, use star, DRIIIIIIIIVE agressive

Kirby activates his STAR, becoming INVINCIBLE until the end of turn Nine, washing away the ink, and gaining ONE Momentum! He attempts to catch up to the pack, [3] and while he doesn't take a clean line he's pleased to see his competition's failure!

Movement Phase

All drivers hit the Dash Panels, receiving an immediate ONE Momentum and washing themselves of the ink!

Luigi is cruising along at the front of the pack, and has the opportunity to PULL AHEAD! [4]-1 Again, he FAILS as the Poltergust 4000 holds him back!

Crank is barreling along the track, and attempts to pass Luigi! [1]+8vs[1]+5 He does so with ease, taking First Place and losing ONE Momentum!

Fox McCloud is driving defensively, and does not attempt a Pass!

King Harkinian is driving defensively, and does not attempt a Pass!

Link does not have enough Momentum to challenge King Harkinian!

Kirby has enough Momentum to use his Star to ram Link out of the way! [2]+5vs[1]+4 He sends Link flipping with TWO lost Momentum, and Kirby himself loses ONE as he takes Fifth! He doesn't quite have enough Momentum to challenge King Harkinian for his place.

Cleanup Phase

Crank slows to his Cruising Speed of 5.

LEADERBOARD
Spoiler: King Harkinian (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luigi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crank (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Fox McCloud (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Info (click to show/hide)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »

Dammit, I thought I already posted!

Harkinian snaps out of his food-related daydream and continues the race! "Hmm... I wonder what's for dinner?"
Powerslide through the inner curve!

You mentioned that powerslides on these curves allow for pass attempts regardless of momentum, right?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 73