Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 239182 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #300 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:29 pm »

Another question: Can compensator modules switch what they are compensating for midgame or between races? If yes, is there an actual point in repairing things?

Well, if you start accumulating hiccups, you probably should get rid of them before they become a nasty cumulative mess.
Price of Repairs: 3 coins
Price of compensator: 3 coins
I would rather buy a compensator then repair, if I can switch it. If I can't the compensator is quite useless. Maybe lower the price of repairs ?

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: May 09, 2012, 02:16:41 pm »

Think of it as just a safety net if you get a hiccup during a race like kirby did. Quick edit: from what I gather from the 1st page, no, you can not switch them for something else mid race, unless they previously weren't compensating for something.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:19:47 pm by Dirg »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

Also, you can only have one module installed for most races.

Repairs do seem a bit pricy, though.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: May 09, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »

Also, you can only have one module installed for most races.
I was unaware. Link ?

That would seriously lower the usefullnes of sponsors.

Edit: Checked that again. Bah. Crumples plan.

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »

Unless you bribe an official to overlook some of your added mods for 5 coins.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:06 pm »

...Galactic Soccer League has issued no statement at this time regarding the alleged doping scandal.
In Mushroom Kart League news, earlier today Nookington's Department Store announced that they have agreed to terms with Crank, winner of the MKL Rookie Invitational.
As expected the deal is worth a 3 Coin signing bonus, with 1 Coin per top-3 finish and 3 Coin for a Cup win.
No surprises there, Bob. What was unexpected, though, was a statement released by Rez Media Corporation announcing the Sponsorship of King Harkinian. Full details are unavailable, but reportedly the deal is worth a 1 Coin signing bonus with 1 Coin per top-3 finish.
An interesting move to lock up a fourth place finisher, Jim. Perhaps more interesting is rumors that talks are heating up between Silph Co and both Luigi Mario and Mario Mario!
A risky move, taking a gamble on an unproven rookie, but the combined marketing potential is an ingenious move by Silph and could return big dividends. Reportedly, this is a big money deal, which only compounds both the risk and the reward.
Perhaps more intriguing is unsubstantiated rumors that Luigi was approached by Team Rocket prior to this meeting- if true, and a deal is reached with Silph, this will mean that Team Rocket has lost out on two attempted sponsorship deals, one of which is to their hated rival in Silph Co!
How this will inform their personnel moves leading up to Yoshi Falls is yet to be determined. If Silph has a racer on the course, even a rookie, you have to believe that Team Rocket will have one as well!
Reporting for MSNews, this has been the Lakitu Brothers. Don't touch that dial, Outside the Lanes is next here on MSN, after these commercial messages!

Nookington's Department Store -3 Coin
Rez Media Corporation -1 Coin
Toaster +3 Coin
Gatleos +1 Coin
Nookington's Department Store +2 Relationship -> Crank
Rez Media Corporation +2 Relationship -> King Harkinian
Team Rocket -1 Relationship -> Luigi

Another question: Can compensator modules switch what they are compensating for midgame or between races? If yes, is there an actual point in repairing things?

Well, if you start accumulating hiccups, you probably should get rid of them before they become a nasty cumulative mess.
Price of Repairs: 3 coins
Price of compensator: 3 coins
I would rather buy a compensator then repair, if I can switch it. If I can't the compensator is quite useless. Maybe lower the price of repairs ?

The big thing is that you can't (normally) have more than one Module equipped per race. Equipping a Compensator would indeed offset the Hiccup, but would use your Module slot. Repairing the Hiccup would fix the problem while still allowing you to equip a Module.

The Compensator can't be switched mid-race, but it can be switched between races. If it isn't compensating for existing Hiccups, it will automatically compensate for mid-race Hiccups (the first one, anyway.) As Dirg says, it functions as a security blanket.

I expect that, as more Coin enters the League, multiple Modules per Kart will become standard practice, and in the meantime there's always illegal shenanigans. If you have a Sponsor, they might aid you in your deceit (at least cover the Bribe,) but likely with associated costs/expectations (you'd better win if they're sticking their neck out for you.)

Fan voting is now 4-2 for Fox. I was gonna resolve that tonight (and do some other stuff) but I work early and should have gone to bed an hour ago- polls are open till tomorrow's update.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: May 10, 2012, 09:20:40 am »

Crank- Impromtu press conference outside Victory Lane

Crank approaches the podium and hops onto the stand in front of the low microphone.  He headbutts it to ensure it is on, then begins.

"Greetings, all!  I'd like to thank everyone at the Luigi Circuit for hosting this race today, and say well done to all my fellow competitors- you all put up a hard fight."

"I would like to announce that I have joined the Nookington's Department Store racing team!  We're looking forward to a bright future together, and I hope to represent them well in the Star Cup!  Thank you all, and I'm looking forward to watching the other new entrance at Yoshi Falls!  Good luck!"

Crank bows his cap, and hops off the platform.  He has some fine Goomba ladies to return to.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: May 10, 2012, 01:00:02 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what could Rez Media possibly do for Harkinian? I mean, he made fourth, so will he even be playing again? If he is, I assume it'll be after the Star Cup finale.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: May 10, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »

Well, Monk has been setting this up as a long term type of game. As far as I can see you are correct that the only real benefit Harkinian has with getting a sponsor is if he races again after the star cup.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #309 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:25 pm »

Suddenly, Kirby gets a track idea and grabs a pencil to start drawing it!

Spoiler: Kirby Crossroads (click to show/hide)
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:59 pm »

Bill stood on the battered train, riding back to his flat. When he got home, his eyes browsed the place, the musty smell and tattered furnishing familiar to him. He sat down, thinking about what Fox said.

"No. I'm retired." He said, grabbing some food and heading to his dining room, continued pushing down the idea he had. He chewed slowly, not savoring the flavors but memories.

Memories of the war. Definitely not of the fighting, but back at base camp, hanging out with Lance and the others. After he finished, he just put the bowl in the sink, and walked into his bedroom, where he laid down and tried to sleep. His sleep was restless, filled with dreams of his friends. He hadn't seen any of them for a while, despite all the time they had spent together. That's what the sad thing was. He didn't know where any of them were, or what they were doing.

He had an idea then, how to get them back together. In the morning, he opened his closet, and in the corner, untouched for so long, he saw his old rifle. "Pea-Shooters". That's what they called them. He put it outside of the closet, and below it was his old tank top. Pulling out the tank top, he tried to put it on, but his once-muscled body had deterioration, and he couldn't fit in it anymore. But that wasn't the important thing, the important thing is that he would see all of his squadmates again.

Stepping into his kart, he went to a auto-shop, where the old thing was tuned up and upgraded. Afterwards, he made an unusual request, getting this sprayed on the side of his car. He went outside while the task was completed, he walked up to a phone booth, and called the Mario Kart association. "I'd like to join the next race."

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:01 pm »

May I start my own company?

Corporation name: HFS, inc.
CEO: Riras Nod, a.k.a "The Great Toad"
Branches: The Circus!

Description: A rather old company that specializes in extravagant circuses. Mostly famous for its clowns.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »

Mr. Pengu watched his messenger scurry into his Great hall. He waddled down to meet him.
"Was the meeting a success?"
He asked, although he could tell from looking at the poor penguins face.
"No! Not only did he turn down our offer, but he also insulted me!"
"I'm sure he didn't insult you."
"He did! I demand a raise for my troubles!"
"You're exagerating again."
"No! If you don't compensate, I'll leave!"
Mr.Pengu tried his best to look down on the other penguin, which was hard because he was even taller than him.
"You should know by now that we don't give raises for no-reason. Now leave my house."
He left the gawking penguin and went up to his room. He had been in a bad moid all day, and this made it even worse. He would show that man...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 10, 2012, 11:07:23 pm »

...winning the Nintendogs Dog Show for the second straight year.
What an adorable little animal. Breaking news from the MKL- Luigi Mario and Mario Mario have agreed to terms with Silph Co!
In a shocking move, Silph Co laid out big Coin for the rising star and his rookie brother- the deal is reportedly worth 2 Coin per Crown, 1 Coin for a 2nd and 3rd place finish, with a 3 Coin payout per Crown and 5 Coin payout for winning a Sponsored Cup!
Mario received a generous 3 Coin Signing bonus, and Luigi has cashed a 4 Coin bonus. Such a deal is unprecedented in the MKL- do you big-budget terms like these are a sign of things to come, Bob?
I expect the other sponsors shall be watching closely to see whether Silph's generosity is repaid on the track- Mario's performance at Yoshi Falls could well dictate the terms of future deals for the foreseeable future.
Perhaps more interesting is how Crank will react to the news- will he harbor resentment towards Nookington's or Luigi? This could be the start of a rivalry between the two!
Crank won the show, but Luigi got the dough.
Ha! Clever, Bob. In other news, the winner of the Driver of the Day competition has been announced!
Fox McCloud won over the crowds with his hard-luck story and his hard-luck race. Between his sympathetic past and his idiosycnratic racing, he's emerged as a fan favorite in the Mushroom Kart League. With any luck, he'll be able to ride this outwelling of support into a revitalized career in MKL!
You said it, Bob! We now go to a developing story in the Curling World Circuit...

Silph Co -7 Coin
Nicholas1024 +4 Coin
10ebbor10 +3 Coin
Yoink +1 Fame
Silph Co +2 Relationship -> Luigi
Silph Co +2 Relationship -> Mario

Bill saw Fox outside of the stadium, begging for money. He approached him, and said "Fox. You're a veteran. You've been through worse, and so have I."
Fox was leaning down towards a young, scared-looking toad, one grubby paw thrust out as he made a grotesque attempt at a harmless grin, when Bill approached him.
Fox whirled around in surprise, feeling deeply humiliated that an old friend would see him this way, and masked his shame with an angry snarl.
"What?! What?! You think you know what I've been through? What I've seen? You don't know shit!" He paused to catch a coin that someone tossed at him, hiding it away safely in his underwear before continuing his rant, eyes wild with that special kind of crazy homeless war vets seem to have in spades.
"Yeah, that's right, I cursed! You think I care about ratings? Who the hell wants to play a game about s-some washed-up ex-pilot like me, anyway? I'm getting mange in my nether regions, for heck's sake! Are you ashamed of me, then? You want to show everyone how 'tough' veterans are? Well, Bill, why don't you join the Cup, then? Me, I'm going to go wallow in self-pity. And drunkeness. Ehh, mostly drunkeness."

He staggered over to jump back into his kart, the weary suspension giving an alarming creak even under its owner's stick-thin frame. He quickly put it into gear before stomping the accelerator, peeling rubber and heading in the direction of the nearest cheap liquor store.

>Speed off to the (preferably drive-through) liquor store! Looks like that Fire Flower Whiskey is within reach, after all!

[4] Fox manages to find an all-night liquor store, and soon enough has a brown paper bag concealing a nice full bottle of Fire Flower Whiskey. As he pulls away from the store, he is surprised to notice pedestrians pointing and smiling at his Kart. Perhaps more surprising, the smiles do not appear to be of derision, but... admiration? That can't be right.

Well, Monk has been setting this up as a long term type of game. As far as I can see you are correct that the only real benefit Harkinian has with getting a sponsor is if he races again after the star cup.

Basically, yes- Harkinian (and everyone else) will race again sometime after the Star Cup.

May I start my own company?

Corporation name: HFS, inc.
CEO: Riras Nod, a.k.a "The Great Toad"
Branches: The Circus!

Description: A rather old company that specializes in extravagant circuses. Mostly famous for its clowns.

You most certainly may! Note that if you choose to start play with a Branch in addition to your main Industry you'll start with less Coin. I'm also guessing HFS is in the Entertainment biz, right? I'll throw you up there when I get internet back.

Speaking of getting internet back, I'll be absent for two days. Earliest I'll post is Sunday night, at which point I'll tie up any loose ends from this between-race period and hopefully we'll get cracking on Race 2.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 11, 2012, 08:05:06 am »

So wait, Sylph will pay out five coin if they win?
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 73