Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 239170 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #525 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19:34 pm »

I heartily endorse any and all spinoffs- I'll be updating the language in the rules to remove some ambiguities I noticed last race, as well as a couple other rules tweaks (notably, buffs to Ram/Draft since right now they're extremely situational) in a bit. I was also gonna give an update, but got caught up in another of my projects. Besides, still haven't heard back from most of the PMs I sent, so it'd be a decidedly lean update.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 01, 2012, 07:35:32 pm »

The only problem I can see with spinoffs is that they would require someone at least as smart as Monk12 to run.

Which I am not.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 01, 2012, 08:00:57 pm »

I just had a good (?) idea. Gonna dub it the Kirby Open.

Basically, people are gonna want to race when they aren't racing, right? Well, the basic idea here is that the Kirby Open is an unofficial race that allow people to have a race without needing to worry about permanent hiccups or anything-they just race.

You'll be allowed to "borrow" a kart so hiccups are wiped, but you can use modules if you own them. Any hiccups gained on track are removed post race, but aside from that, it's exactly the same. There is no entry fee and no prize but the good feeling of whooping ass.

Good idea y/n?
I like. It could help sponsors make decisions also.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #528 on: June 02, 2012, 04:55:30 am »

I think I'm going to try it. Let's get writing this up...
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 02, 2012, 11:23:14 pm »

Top of the hour here on MSN, with breaking news coming out of the Mushroom Kart League!
The Mysterious Mr. L, winner at Yoshi Falls and an early favorite to win the Star Cup, held a joint press conference with Nightmare Enterprises to announce the signing of a sponsorship deal. The deal is worth a 3 Coin signing bonus, 1 Coin for every top 3 finish, a 1 Coin bonus for winning outright, and a 3 Coin bonus for winning a Cup.
According to the conditions of the contract, the deal may terminated by NME if MML places last in a race- in any other situation, NME will pay MML a 3 Coin Severance package. The Mysterious Mr. L may opt out of the contract only if he allows NME the opportunity to match any other contract offer he receives.
Reportedly, Captain Falcon was approached by Team Rocket following his second place finish- sources familiar with the deal say that although the terms were quite generous, Captain Falcon turned them down without hesitation.
It would appear that Team Rocket's poor reputation precedes them- nobody wants to race under the R banner.
It certainly seems that way, Jim! In more sober news, Waluigiware Inc recently announced that their CEO Waluigi has gone missing- while authorities are scouring the multiverse to find him, the Board of Directors have appointed an interim CEO. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Waluigi.
While word has it that Diamond Software is engaged in negotiations with an unnamed driver, it appears that most other Sponsors are currently saving their Coin to sponsor the Cup, and/or the new drivers who will qualify after the next race at Cerulean Speedway.
In other news, the League Competition Committee has released additional rules changes and Kart standards, to further improve the quality of the game.
New Kart specifications have enhanced the ability of drivers to Draft- Drafting players lose no Momentum on a successful pass, and gain ONE Momentum if their check is 10 or higher.
Racers who Drive Defensively are allowed to Pass if their Momentum is double the racer in front of them.
Rammed racers now lose TWO Momentum- watch your rearview!
Drivers who Fall Back have their Momentum set to THREE, up from two.
Dragged items such as bananas that are thrown forward take a flat -1 Penalty, rather than the cumulative penalty previously used.
Green Shells do not take a -1 Penalty against racers other than the target, and racers immediately behind a dropped Bob-omb only take a -1 Penalty to dodging, rather than -2. Bob-ombs do not cause targets to lose their items.
The Competition Committee also released a statement acknowledging the prevalence of Bloopers- although no action has been taken at this time, the situation will be closely monitored for future balancing.
That's what's going on at this hour- next, a segment about youth MKL leagues, and the young racers who compete on the street!

Nightmare Enterprises -3 Coin
Phantom of the Library +3 Coin
Nightmare Enterprises +2 Prestige
Nightmare Enterprises +2 Relationship NME Exec, +2 Relationship Phantom of the Library

While Oomph enjoys some... post-race celebrations, Bradely Boo is hard at work performing the countless tasks that come with the life of a combination manager and agent. As he shuffles through his inbox, he finds a surprising letter from Koopa Mills Korn Flakes. Apparently, Oomph is something of a minor celebrity in Dark Land after his strong showing and post-race generosity, and they would like to pay Oomph ONE Coin to endorse their popular- if bland- breakfast cereal. Koopa Mills is a subsidiary of the Koopa Korporation, and accepting this endorsement would provide a +1 Relationship Boost with the sponsor, perhaps smoothing the way for a future Sponsorship deal. Really, there isn't much downside to this deal, provided Oomph can survive the inevitable ribbing amongst the local race clubs.

Kirby's had it rough- after a tough loss in the first race, he's stuck with a malfunctioning Kart while every Sponsor is busy courting the winners of the following races. Morosely, he kicks at a small rock on his way to practice his Kart skills. He is rather surprised when the rock bounces off the shoe of a much taller man.

Howdy, partner! I'm here representin' Captain Fluffles's Brightday Brigade, the rootinest, tootinest kids show on cable TV! One of our skits involves children beating on a pinata until a celebrity falls out and starts a sing-along; given your small stature and overall pinkness, we think you'd be a perfect fit for our show! We can't pay much, but accepting could do wonders for your image!

Kirby's brow furrows- he's heard about this show, and the "celebrity" is always the laughingstock of the Mushroom Kingdom for months after the air date! On the other hand, accepting would improve his Family-Friendliness, which could help him land a Sponsorship deal before his next race...

((Accept, and your Family Friendliness goes up to G, which makes you more likely to be sponsored by groups who prioritize that sort of thing. You would also gain a "Laughingstock" status that reduces your Fame by 1 until you win a race outright or Season 4, whichever comes first- it can't reduce your Fame to less than 0, but it means that any Sponsorship offers you receive will not be as good as they could be. Decline, and you lose nothing.))

What's all this then? Every turn, there's a 1/10 chance each driver experiences a Random Event (the exact nature of which are determined randomly.) This turn, ExKirby and Dwarmin were the high rollers- specifically, Dwarmin won an Endorsement (which is mildly beneficial,) while ExKirby has a Dilemma (which necessitates a choice.) Sometimes these are secret, but hell with it- I'm still working out the wrinkles in this aspect of the game.

Anywho, barring any unexpected delays we're still on track for starting the third and final qualifying race on Monday, with tomorrow being a course introduction/end of metagame turn. People not directly involved in the race can still do any negotiating they feel like if they didn't get to it in the last couple days, just don't expect me to record anything until after the race.

Speaking of the race, for those uninvolved ExKirby did get that thread up, which I'll be treating as not exactly canon (but not exactly not-canon, either.) Certainly a good opportunity for racing practice for those not currently in a match, and it may be the site of future rules/items testing.

And hey, fun fact! For shits and giggles, I was wondering how much it costs to race in NASCAR- According to this article from NASCAR.com, it costs Kenny Wallace something like $100k per race. So, if we assume that Mushroom Kart Racing is one tenth as expensive as NASCAR (since MKL drivers don't maintain a stable of individual Karts/engines/tire changes,) and that your entrance fee covers all the miscellaneous costs associated with racing short of Kart Repair (Stardust fuel, Lakitu Towing service, etc,) then 1 Coin works out to be the equivalent of 10,000 dollars American. Bling bling!

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 02, 2012, 11:37:37 pm »

Erm,
I'm willing to sponsor the next race then.
Did you not notice this?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 02, 2012, 11:49:28 pm »

Erm,
I'm willing to sponsor the next race then.
Did you not notice this?

Yep, sorry, was going to address that- at this point, none of the NPC Sponsors plan to bid on it, so if Theodolus/borno/whoever doesn't place a bid you've got it locked up.

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 03, 2012, 12:28:05 pm »

Chugging the remainder of his soda and letting out a good sized belch, Db stood up and began to head for the exit to prepare for his upcoming race. Cool racing goggles, check, awesome racing gloves with bone decal, double check, sweet flame racing stickers to make his kart appear to go faster, suprisingly absent. Hopping into his kart he drove off to his garage, stopping by a few stores first to pick up some stickers.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 03, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »

Dozing in a tree not too far from the start line in the last race, MonkeyKong suddenly sat bolt upright - he was up next. Great. With success would come many banana. He knucled away to prepare his cart.
This is a blank sig.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 03, 2012, 02:53:31 pm »

After Race Sponsorship Deal

"Oomph am happy accept endorsement from Koopa Mills cereal."

The Koopa paused to awkwardly read a placard in front of him.

"Yum yum, Koopa Mills! Boss Bowser saiz, It's the best you get, and you'd better like it!"

Then he forgot the script.

"...but, Much like Oomph is idol for many young koopaboys and koopagirls, so every Koopa should also be a hero in every day life. We are not minions without no faces-we are not mooks to be trod upon for number points. We are all Heroes, because Koopas do dangerous and mean work-like our brave Koopatroopers, defending floating coin platforms from Invading Plumbers. Or Wing Koopas, keeping sky safe from angry sun frowny face.

Oomph say, we are not defined by color of shell, but quality of character! Oomph ask all Koopas to rise up and be heroic today-go on adventure! Do things! Be awesome like Oomph!"

Oomph waved to the crowd. He thought that went well.

Action: Accept the Deal!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 03, 2012, 11:46:09 pm »

Hello Racing Fans, and welcome to this special pregame edition of the Mushroom Sports Network, presented by HFS Inc! Reporting live from scenic Cerulean City, I'm Jim!
And I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu brothers!
First, news from MKL! To the surprise of nobody, Counselor Grimtoad has won the Driver of the Week Award for his defiant stylings at the close of last week's race!
That should go a long way toward convincing HFS Inc- the sponsor of today's race- to help him repair his Kart.
Oomph, the dogged Koopa who featured prominently on the Yoshi Falls circuit but went home with the bronze medal, has also accepted an endorsement for Koopa Flakes. Koopa Flakes- a nutritionally fulfilling part of this balanced breakfast!
While rumor has it that there is still buzz in the Corporate world, most of the negotiations are being conducted secretly, with walls of nondisclosure firmly in place.
Keep an eye on the news ticker, racing fans! For now, let's get to the course!

Cerulean City is located in northern Kanto, from the world of Pokemon! A beautiful town nestled against the Lunar Mountains, Cerulean City straddles the Cascade River as it winds its way to the Sapphire Sea. Cerulean Speedway takes us on a tour of this beautiful landscape, past such local landmarks as Nugget Bridge, Cerulean Gym, and Bill's Seaside Cottage.
Drivers start on the RED segment, which takes them from Cerulean City proper onto Nugget Bridge. Nugget Bridge has small Dash Panels scattered on its length- aggressive drivers can pick up a lot of speed here, and Aggressive Driving actions gain a +1 bonus.
The sturdy walls of the bridge prevent anyone from falling into the Cascade River- at the end of the bridge is a small, scattered group of Item Boxes. Checks to hit an Item Box start at +1, and each success imposes a cumulative -1 Penalty to following drivers.
After crossing Nugget Bridge, drivers parallel the Lunar Mountains through the PURPLE section. Here, the course goes through a lush forest- drivers must avoid hitting the trees by making a +1 Hazard Check. There are some Item Boxes sown among the trees, though they are few and far between- checks made to hit them receive neither bonus nor penalty.
GREEN brings us past the Seaside Cottage of local luminary Bill the Pokemaniac, inventor of the Pokemon Storage System. Here, the path splits- the safe path is the long way, a broad curve that provides +1 to Powerslides and has a tight cluster of Item Boxes (+2 to hit.)
However, daring racers may elect to take the short way- a narrow bridge that cuts across Bill's Pond! The short path provides TWO Momentum, but the pond is teeming with playful Goldeen who spray water across the bridge at one another and at passing racers! Drivers must succeed on a +1 Hazard Check to avoid flipping from the blast of water, and a driver who Spins Out or Flips for any reason must pass on a +2 Hazard Check or Fall Back as they splash into the pond!
BLUE is the home stretch, as the racers wind down a narrow coastal path toward the Gym and the finish line. This section requires supreme concentration on the part of the racers; At the start of their Movement Phase, each racer makes a Racing Check to try and take an optimal line through the curves- on a success, they receive a +1 bonus to Pass Checks.
While the safety measures at the cliff's edge are sufficient to protect civilian foot traffic, they are unlikely to stand up to a runaway Kart! Any driver who Spins Out or Flips must pass on a +2 Hazard Check or Fall Back as they plummet off the cliff! Drivers attempting to Power Slide on this section receive neither bonus nor penalty.
This could be another costly race for some drivers, Bob! Now, let's head down to Cerulean Gym, where the drivers are readying for the green flag!
Our first rookie is MonkeyKong- no relation to Donkey, or so our investigative team says. His Kart is quite Speedy with a higher Cruising Speed than most, but unfortunately he seems to have trouble pulling ahead!
Beside him is Vaati, the Great Wind Sorcerer of Hyrule! Only time will tell whether his racing accomplishments measure up to his past feats of magic. Vaati drives the Hurricane Eye, a Speedy Kart that is quite lightweight and at a disadvantage in Rams!
Next up is Boss Form Amadeus- another contestant plucked from a mirror-Mushroom Kingdom, Amadeus experienced incredible gains in power upon entering our universe! Fortunately for us, he elected to put those powers to use on the race course- his Kart is unmodified, as he relies on pure skill to win the day.
The lovely lady who is approaching the starting line is Princess Zelda, one of the preeminent members of the Hyrulian Royal Family. She is taking the safe route this race, bringing a Compensator with her onto the track!
Dry Bones is in the Kart beside her- a skeletal Koopa of Dark Land, DB is racing a basic Kart today.
The final rookie making his MKL debut today is Shy Guy, originally of Yoshi's Island. His Kart is quite Speedy, but rumor has it that his weapons systems are faulty!
Hopefully we'll have a clean race today, Jim. We'll be ready to start today's race right after a word from our sponsor, HFS Inc! Stay tuned, racing fans!

END WEEK THREE
HFS Inc -6 Coin
Zelda -1 Coin
Vaati -1 Coin
Boss Form Amadeus -1 Coin
Dry Bones -1 Coin
MonkeyKong -1 Coin
Shy Guy -1 Coin
HFS Inc +2 Prestige
Counselor Grimtoad +1 Fame
Oomph +1 Coin
HFS Inc +2 Relationship Riras Nod
HFS Inc +1 Relationship Counselor Grimtoad
Koopa Korporation +1 Relationship Oomph

Spoiler: Nightmare Enterprises (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Chink- HFS Inc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Theodolus- Silph Co (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: borno- Pengu Games (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darvi- Waluigiware Inc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rez Media Corporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Rocket (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Koopa Korporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diamond Software (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hocotate Freight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lakitu Travel Agency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pappy's Pizza (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phantom of the Library (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nicholas1024 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luke_Prowler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scelly9 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gatleos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 10ebbor10 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ExKirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinal_Taper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: freeformscholar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MonkeyHead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Remalle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taricus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dirg (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: wsoxfan (click to show/hide)

Alrighty! There's still a couple sponsorship offers that have been sent- when they get accepted/rejected/whatever, they'll take effect immediately. Note that I don't have emblems ready to go for... most of the racers, so if you care about that get me a square picture to use.

Monkeyhead, adwarf, Taricus, Tiruin, Remalle, Dirg- post actions for your first turn! Do you Rocket Start, or play it safe?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:47 am »

Vaati smirks and looks across at Zelda.  Hated boils under the surface, undetectable save for a single slightly twitching eye.
"Bahaha!  Now's my big chance!  I shall have my revenge here on the course, where that infernal green hero can't protect you!  Prepare to eat my dust, golden princess!"
ROCKET START

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 04, 2012, 12:32:26 am »

Finally it was time for Db to prove himself on the battlefield. Grinning as he ran a finger along the steering wheel of his bare bones(har har har) kart. Strapping his racing goggles into place,and giving his gloves one quick final tug, he hammers on the gas. Rocket start!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:59 am »

Shy Guy was proud to be here. Proud to represent his peoples. Proud to make win in this race!

But Shy Guy's weapons. They were faulty. His first plans were ruined as he saw them in their state.

But, the kart was fast. Shy Guy knew. If Shy Guy couldn't fight dirty, Shy Guy will fight.

With Speed.

"Hei-Ho!"

ROCKET START

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:16 am »

Ook Ook!

Looking round at the racers on the start line, MonkeyKong felt in the mood for some mischief... With a loud OOOK and a slap of his backside, MonkeyKong goes for a ROCKET START
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 73