Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 239166 times)

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2012, 10:24:45 am »

A note arrived for Luigi just as the day was beginning to wind down.

Luigi,

I'm still standing on my original offer for modules priced 6 coin and below.
However you may want to look at the list of new modules available. Any
module priced over 6 coin we will be willing to help you purchase, but my
accountants are telling me I can't offer more than 5 coin total for the high-
er end modules. Also they told me to tell you; if you can let me know as
soon as possible which module you want, they would appreciate it. They'd
like to try to get this expenditure on this month's budget.

Yeah, accountants, right? Good luck out there and make Silph Co proud!

-The CEO
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 29, 2012, 11:57:40 am »

Is it intended that the hiccups have such a wide range in power of effect?  I'd laugh off Signal Interference, but Poor Handling would make me cry.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 29, 2012, 12:23:38 pm »

Hm, I don't think that paying for a 12 coin module is worth it at this point, considering it's an all or nothing gamble. Perhaps a mid cost module then?

Luigi did a few google searches to check for the effects of some lesser used actions, hoping to maximize his module's effect.

If you successfully ram someone, do you lose momentum from the ramming attempt, or the pass afterwards? Also, can you say... drive aggressively and attempt to ram anyone who you could pass/could pass you?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 29, 2012, 05:23:31 pm »

A screech of tires announced the arrival of Fox's beat-up kart in the parking lot, and a moment later the man himself trudged into the lobby of [INSERT CENTRAL MKR PLACE HERE], looking rather haggard. After a groggy glance about the room incase anyone was waiting in ambush for him, he headed over to a screen displaying the results of the latest few races and squinted up at it through bloodshot eyes.
>Check the results of the races since I last participated!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:58 pm »

...all future games will be played without tethers.
Alright, top of the hour here on MSN, with breaking news from the Mushroom Kart League- Pengu Games have withdrawn their Sponsorship of the MKL!
In a brief press conference held at the South Pole, Mr. Pengu cited fierce competition and hostile televisions as his primary reasons for withdrawing his sponsorship of the League. He hopes to get back to the fundamentals that made his company great- making games.
Unsubstantiated rumors abound that the abdication was made at the behest of the Bounty Hunter's Guild, and that this recent turn of events is related to the disappearance of Waluigi.
The other Sponsorship groups certainly benefit from this turn of events- there is much less competition for the Sponsorship of the Star Cup now, and the three bids in place have a good chance of standing. Currently, Nookington's, NME, and Rez Media each have a 6 Coin Share of the Cup- while there are rumblings that another bid might be placed, it seems the other potential Sponsors have chosen to invest their Coin in Driver talent!
Earlier today, Team Rocket held a press conference where their new driver was introduced to the media. In the Star Cup, Dry Bones will bear the iconic red
R of Team Rocket.
We here at Rocket Industries are proud to announce our partnership with Dry Bones, and stand ready to support him at Rainbow Road as he extends our reach to the stars above!
Sources familiar with the terms of the deal reveal that Dry Bones has received a 4 Coin signing bonus, and stands to earn 2 Coin per win and 1 Coin per top three finish, with double rewards for Cup performance. There is an early opt-out clause where Team Rocket may elect to part ways with Dry Bones if he loses to Silph Co's Luigi in the upcoming Star Cup. Team Rocket may terminate the contract if Dry Bones turns in a last-place performance in any future race- otherwise both parties are on the hook for a 5 Coin Guarantee.
But he's not the only driver to reach a deal this week! Diamond Software issued a statement today announcing a new affiliation with fan-favorite "Space" Fox McCloud, with many hopes for a bright future together.
Reputedly, the deal is worth a 2 Coin signing bonus, 1 Coin bonus for winning, 1 Coin for top three finishes, and there is a provision for Diamond Software to repair all Kart Damage suffered in the course of a race. Diamond Software may opt out of the contract if McCloud finishes in last place- otherwise the deal is insured by a 3 Coin Guarantee.
Princess Zelda and Captain Falcon both remain sponsorless, although reports indicate that multiple suitors are interested in signing one or both of them before the Star Cup.
More on that and other headlines, including a new scandal in the world of Mushroom Kingdom Tennis, right after the commercial break. Don't turn that dial from MSN!

Team Rocket -4 Coin
Dry Bones +4 Coin
Team Rocket +1 Relationship -> Dry Bones
Team Rocket +1 Prestige
Team Rocket +1 Relationship -> Rocket Exec
Diamond Software -2 Coin
Fox McCloud +2 Coin
Diamond Software +1 Relationship -> Fox McCloud
Diamond Software +1 Prestige
Diamond Software +1 Relationship -> Diamond Exec

Counselor Grimtoad turns off the TV, tired of the Lakitu Brothers' incessant blathering. Coincidentally, at that precise moment the phone rings.

"Evening, Counselor! I'm calling on behalf of the Yoshi Falls Spa and Beach Resort- since your plunge showcased our lovely little place on MKL, we've had quite the upswing in business. We'd like to bring you in to advertise the rejuvenating powers of our warm sands and cool mists, make it seem like you're here all the time- you know, really play up that at-home angle!"
"Hmph. I don't think my current employer would approve of that situation- tying myself to a specific location reduces my marketability quite a bit."
"Did I mention we have Coin? 3 Coin if you come to stay, in fact- that's part of the campaign, rejuvenating the Kart as well as the racer! C'mon, you know you want to spend a month or two on the beach."

It's a tempting offer- the 3 Coin would go a long way to repairing Grimtoad's Kart, but the Image shift would put him in hot water with the HFS Board of Directors; it would likely cause something of a Scandal, and would certainly damage his Relationship with the Sponsor. What is your decision?

So, continuing to futz with Random Events. The chance is now per-Sponsor, with all unsponsored drivers falling under a single roll (just because players with sponsors are easier to mess with.) The specific event is a d6 roll- a 1 is a choice of 2 bad outcomes, 2-3 is a dilemma where a player can choose to improve one at the cost of the other, 4-5 is an optional dilemma, and 6 is an endorsement or something else uniformly positive.

Of the six that ran in Yoshi Falls,
two have won, and lessened their load.
Yet Shy Guy was impressed, by the losers, instead;
he cast his vote for Counselor Grimtoad!

^^
What, do we have something about voting for the losers? I'd keep my vote on Star Fox.

Note, Driver of the Week only applies to drivers from the last race.

Is it intended that the hiccups have such a wide range in power of effect?  I'd laugh off Signal Interference, but Poor Handling would make me cry.

It isn't super intended, but it is expected and to a degree, unavoidable. This is why Hiccups are random instead of chosen.

Hm, I don't think that paying for a 12 coin module is worth it at this point, considering it's an all or nothing gamble. Perhaps a mid cost module then?

Luigi did a few google searches to check for the effects of some lesser used actions, hoping to maximize his module's effect.

If you successfully ram someone, do you lose momentum from the ramming attempt, or the pass afterwards? Also, can you say... drive aggressively and attempt to ram anyone who you could pass/could pass you?

If you successfully ram somebody, you do not lose Momentum. If your Ram was part of you passing somebody else, you still lose Momentum for the pass afterwards.

Ramming is an action in itself, and cannot be combined with other actions like Drive Aggressive/Defensive/etc. Ramming tends to work best when you know you will get a chance to pass, and you want to inconvenience the other party as much as possible.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 30, 2012, 12:12:05 am »

"Well, as much as I'd like to stay loyal... I heard word that HFS was originally looking to drop me after my first loss. Perhaps it's time for a change in pace."

Grimtoad accepts the offer and rips up his contract with HFS Industries!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: June 30, 2012, 01:22:42 am »

Say- it's not too late to join as a sponsor, is it?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Chink

• Bay Watcher
  • !
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 30, 2012, 11:45:32 am »

Offer Princess Zelda a sponsorship: 3 coin signing bonus, 3 coins for a 1st place, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: June 30, 2012, 11:51:10 am »

Following the same pattern as my other sponsorship deals...

REJECTED!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 30, 2012, 12:12:36 pm »

I wonder what Zelda's holding out for...

Anyway, Luigi sends a message back to Silph Co's CEO, thanking him for the offer, and that he'd decided to buy a nitrous module

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 30, 2012, 02:01:14 pm »

Db stared blankly at the computer screen as he was browsing a shopping site for kart parts. Earlier today he had taken a tour of his new sponsors labs and saw a few interesting blueprints for tanks that he wanted to model his kart after. Double clicking one of the items Db began to talk to himself. "Well rainbow roads usually do have a few twists in them, there are also a good amount that have no railings to stop drivers from falling off...Heh I'm sure this will see some use then" Db grinned to himself as he clicked the purchase tab. Purchase Ramming Speed and name new kart Dry Bomber.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 30, 2012, 02:36:34 pm »

I have a feeling I might want to avoid Dry Bones in this upcoming race... particularly if I end up with the featherweight hiccup.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 30, 2012, 03:09:51 pm »

Is it possible to take a loan out as a sponsor? I'm sticking to my guns to help Luigi purchase that module, but I'd like to put in a bid for the race sponsorship as well. If I do both I'll use up all my coin and won't have anything left to pay Luigi when he wins.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: June 30, 2012, 05:49:20 pm »

I can afford the module myself, so we can treat it like a delayed "pay driver" action. I'll take the full bill for now, you can put a bid in for race sponsorship, and we can delay the payment until Silph Co has rebuilt its coin reserves.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 30, 2012, 10:17:47 pm »

Hello, and welcome to the top of the hour here on MSN. In today's top story, Counselor Grimtoad has parted ways with HFS Inc.
In a brief statement, HFS cited lack of confidence in the Grimtoad's racing prowess and dubious public image decisions as contributing factors. As the fans at home may recall, after Yoshi Falls rumors abounded that HFS Inc would drop Grimtoad after that single race. Ultimately, Counselor Grimtoad won Driver of the Week and the rumors went away- but not the hurt feelings, it appears.
Sources say HFS Inc attempted to replace Grimtoad with Princess Zelda, early favorite to win the Star Cup, but were rebuffed. In fact, sources within WaluigiWare and Rez Media both indicate that attempted negotiations wer-
Greetings, racing fans. There is nothing wrong with your television set. Do not attempt to adjust the picture. We are controlling transmission. We are Rez Media Corporation. We control the horizontal. We control the vertical. One day, we will control all you see and hear. Today, we have reached terms with Captain Falcon, whose prowess will extend our control to Rainbow Road, and beyond. Know the fate of all who oppose the Rez Media Empire, as you observe the fate of those who oppose Captain Falcon. We now return you to your regularly scheduled telecast.
-EAN YOU CAN'T SHUT IT OFF!?! IF YOU CAN'T GET IT UNDER CONTROL, THE PRODUCER IS GOING TO SHOVE THA- what? We're back on the air! Hey! So that's what Mr. Pengu meant by hostile televisions...
*cough* Well, as you've heard, Rez Media has made Captain Falcon the face of Rez Cinema. We are now being informed that the deal is worth 2 Coin up front, with 3 Coin for a win, 2 Coin for second place, double rewards for Cups, and guaranteed repairs for the life of the contract, which expires at the end of Season Two. The deal is secured by a 5 Coin Guarantee.
In other news, the Koopa Korporation has made a surprise bid for a Share of the Star Cup!
They superseded Nookington's claim with a 7 Coin bid- as it stands, Koopa Korp has a 7 Coin Share, while NME and Rez Media both have a 6 Coin Share. No word yet on whether Nookington's will attempt to outbid one of the other two Shares, although expert analysts predict this is likely given their large Coin reserve.
We'll be following that story and more this hour on MSN... right after these commercial messages! Stay tuned.

Counselor Grimtoad +3 Coin
Counselor Grimtoad Marketability-> Local
Rez Media -2 Coin
Luigi -6 Coin
Dry Bones -6 Coin
Captain Falcon +2 Coin
Rez Media +1 Prestige
Rez Media +1 Relationship -> Captain Falcon, +1 Relationship -> TV on a Handcart

A screech of tires announced the arrival of Fox's beat-up kart in the parking lot, and a moment later the man himself trudged into the lobby of [INSERT CENTRAL MKR PLACE HERE], looking rather haggard. After a groggy glance about the room incase anyone was waiting in ambush for him, he headed over to a screen displaying the results of the latest few races and squinted up at it through bloodshot eyes.
>Check the results of the races since I last participated!

((As a matter of fact, each race in the OP lists the final order of the participants.))

Fox McCloud blearily blinks as the official MKL Leaderboard scrolls through the season's results and rankings. He winces slightly when the overall rankings are displayed- his own name is depressingly close to the bottom. It looks like Bill Ryzer didn't fare much better in his race either- better than Fox, but it looks like his Kart took some heavy damage. Why don't they allow shields on the track... More than a few walking wounded in the ranks nowadays. Counselor Grimtoad nearly wrecked his Kart, looks like. Unsurprisingly, the leaders all avoided significant damage during their races. Lucky bastards.

While Fox is preoccupied with the leaderboard, a receptionist walks up.

"Fox! There you are! Where have you been?"
"Agh! Not so loud..."
"Fox, that address you registered with lead us to a public park. W'eve been trying to find you so we can give you your tickets!"
"Shh... tickets?"
"For the Star Cup, Fox. You need to be there to represent your Sponsor and to take part in the closing ceremonies for the Season, and you need your Kart in case you're called on as an alternate."
"What? Alternate?"
"The Cup has to have 6 Drivers, and if anything untoward happens they'll need to pick a replacement. It isn't terribly likely, especially for you, but it could happen, so you're contractually obligated to be there. Here are your tickets, and your Driver's Pass- be at the Toad Town Spaceport 9am sharp, or you'll miss the shuttle!"

((I'm also accepting suggestions for the name of the central MKL place, if anyone has anything particularly clever they'd like to share.))

Is it possible to take a loan out as a sponsor? I'm sticking to my guns to help Luigi purchase that module, but I'd like to put in a bid for the race sponsorship as well. If I do both I'll use up all my coin and won't have anything left to pay Luigi when he wins.

At this point, I'm leaning towards no on the loan. If it is something that happens, it would incur a significant Relationship hit with your Board of Directors, which is bad.

That said, consider! If you want to sponsor this Cup, you need to lay down 7 Coin (and specify who you are outbidding.) This would give you +3 Prestige if you win, for a total of 3 Coin and 5 Prestige. If Luigi wins, you'll owe him 5 Coin, but his Fame gain will bump your Prestige even further, giving you more than enough to pay his 5 Coin purse. Thus, you can safely invest your entire 3 Coin treasury in your driver and still have enough to pay him in the event of a win.

For now, I'll just bill Luigi directly, and you may reimburse him at your discretion.

I wonder what Zelda's holding out for...

Anyway, Luigi sends a message back to Silph Co's CEO, thanking him for the offer, and that he'd decided to buy a nitrous module

Module Benefit: Nitrous
Module Hiccup: Not Aerodynamic  Not Aerodynamic requires you to have higher Momentum than the driver ahead of you before Drafting.

Db stared blankly at the computer screen as he was browsing a shopping site for kart parts. Earlier today he had taken a tour of his new sponsors labs and saw a few interesting blueprints for tanks that he wanted to model his kart after. Double clicking one of the items Db began to talk to himself. "Well rainbow roads usually do have a few twists in them, there are also a good amount that have no railings to stop drivers from falling off...Heh I'm sure this will see some use then" Db grinned to himself as he clicked the purchase tab. Purchase Ramming Speed and name new kart Dry Bomber.

Module Benefit: Ramming Speed
Module Hiccup: Banana Magnet  Banana Magnet gives the driver a -1 Penalty to avoiding Banana Hazards, as Grimtoad learned to his misfortune.

I'm assuming you both install your Modules for the next race- if I'm wrong (say, because you really don't like your Hiccups) then let me know.

Say- it's not too late to join as a sponsor, is it?

Not at all! You may take control of any existing Sponsor which does not have a player CEO, or you may roll your own using the rules posted here. Nintendoverse/Videogame theme encouraged, but hardly required. You may also elect to play as a particular character if you wish (e.g Giovanni of Team Rocket.) If you've got any questions, shout out- I'll roll up your starting Coin once you've got your details sorted out, and you can get bidding/sponsoring/what have you immediately.

Finally, I'm planning for the Star Cup to begin July Fifth, since I don't expect to be able to update the Fourth or likely the third either, so I'd rather not leave you hanging after one turn.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 73