Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 237692 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Crank, Champion of Season One!
« Reply #930 on: August 09, 2012, 03:23:56 pm »

Name: Olimar
Kart: Rocketeer. A kart modified to look like a spaceship.
Module: Item Bonus
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #931 on: August 11, 2012, 12:20:45 am »

Hello racing fans, and welcome to this special MSN Preseason Special! I'm Jim!
And I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu Brothers!
First, breaking news- Nookington's Department Store has announced a restructured deal with Crank, the Defending Champion of MKL.
Sources familiar with the deal say that the new terms include Four Coin per win, Two Coin for second place, and double rewards in Cup races. The deal is guaranteed with a Six Coin insurance, and Crank has enjoyed a Four Coin signing bonus for agreeing to the extension. The deal is set to last through the end of Season Four.
And now, the reason we're all here- the official announcement of the Season Two Schedule!
The prestigious Crown Invitational, second race of the Season will be led by Crank, the most famous racer in the MKL as he seeks to defend his title. Zelda, The Mysterious Mr. L, and Dry Bones all easily clinch slots on the strength of their Fame.
There is a four-way tie in Fame for the final three slots- Fox McCloud and Counselor Grimtoad secure tiebreakers due to their prolonged absence from the track, thus ensuring a healthy new mix of racers to challenge the Season One victors. Luigi and Captain Falcon are both tied in Fame as well as time since last race- Luigi wins the tiebreaker by virtue of his high Career Point total.
To summarize- the Crown Invitational will consist of Crank, Princess Zelda, The Mysterious Mr. L, Dry Bones, Fox McCloud, Counselor Grimtoad, and Luigi.
Next, the first race of the season, sponsored by Silph Co- the Underdog Open! Three new rookies will take to the MKL track- Pikachu, Conker, and Olimar will all make their racing debuts. Captain Falcon secures a slot as the most famous remaining driver as well.
From there, it all goes by points. Link, Oomph and Shy Guy take the remaining three slots as they are tied up at 5 Career Points.
In summary, Silph Co's Underdog Open will be populated with Pikachu, Conker, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Link, Oomph and Shy Guy.
There isn't much suspense for the racers of the third and final competition, the Comeback Open. In order, the participants will be King Harkinian, Kirby, Mario, Bill Ryzer, Vaati, MonkeyKong and Boss Form Amadeus.
In the event a racer is unable to participate in their assigned race, their slot will default to anyone who hasn't raced (such as a new rookie,) or the next most qualified racer for that event, provided they have not already secured a slot in the Shell Cup.
The Underdog Open will take place at Kirby Rally, the first in a series of brand new courses on the Prix this Season! For idle speculation about the venue of the other races, without any real kind of proof or insider knowledge, we now go to our expert analysts, right after this commercial break!

BEGIN SEASON TWO
Crank +4 Coin
Nookington's Department Store -4 Coin
Silph Co -8 Coin, +1 Prestige
Counselor Grimtoad -6 Coin
Princess Zelda -3 Coin, +Module

Spoiler: Chink- HFS Inc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Theodolus- Silph Co (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nightmare Enterprises (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Rocket (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rez Media Corporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diamond Software (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Darvi- Waluigiware Inc (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Koopa Korporation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Hocotate Freight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Lakitu Travel Agency (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pappy's Pizza (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Toaster (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taricus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phantom of the Library (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Nicholas1024 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Luke_Prowler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dirg (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scelly9 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Dwarmin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Gatleos (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: 10ebbor10 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Remalle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: ExKirby (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spinal_Taper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: MonkeyHead (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Yoink (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: freeformscholar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: wsoxfan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Alchemist (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Orb (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: LAAT501legion (click to show/hide)

Name: Olimar
Kart: Rocketeer. A kart modified to look like a spaceship.
Module: Item Bonus

Olimar's Rocketeer
Module Benefit: Item Bonus
Module Hiccup: Poor Handling- Poor Handling is a nasty little Hiccup that increases the Hazard Check Penalty from the Driving Aggressively action to -2 (normally -1.) Drive carefully!

Well, I'll save you the trouble of opening the PM menu and reply to both of them here:

Burn the sponsorship offers! BURN!

Buy a high acceleration module. -3 Coin

Module Benefit: High Acceleration
Module Hiccup: Low Loot- When you hit an Item Box, you take a -1 Penalty to the subsequent Item Roll. Less shells and mushrooms, more boxes and bananas in your future- y'know, if you didn't have that Compensator anyway.

Fix that kart!

Done and done.

Just got a couple other things to get together, notably sending PMs to everybody to make sure all the Race 1 Participants are ready to go. Should get underway tomorrow or the day after, I think.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:44:24 pm by monk12 »

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: August 11, 2012, 01:09:30 am »

Alright, I'm ready to race and I'll take the Speedy module for my kart since we can have two now.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

ExKirby

• Bay Watcher
  • A Jump On The Daily Comic Bandwagon.
    • View Profile
    • ExKirby's Generic Randomness
« Reply #933 on: August 11, 2012, 04:41:58 am »

Ah, good, I will be racing this season.

...Does anyone want to sponsor me? =P
Derm would be a Half-Minute Hero boss. YOU HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FUCK HIM UP OR HE DOES IT TO THE ENTIRE WORLD!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: August 11, 2012, 06:22:48 am »

Checking in. I am ready. :)

Action: Fix Oomph broken Kart!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: August 11, 2012, 06:23:48 am »

I am ALIVE!

Repair Shy Guy Kart!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: August 11, 2012, 07:03:18 am »

((I'm ready, fellas.))

Fox had been sitting slouched at the bar in some dingy little joint in town, staring down the demons in the bottom of his glass, when the voice on the dinky little bar TV somehow caught his attention.
Huh, the fuzzy image on-screen looked a bit like... A strange, yellow-coloured bomb? Some kind of toxic gas canister? Wait, no, it was the Lakitu brothers. He perked his ears, trying to listen.

"...To summarize- the Crown Invitational will consist of Crank, Princess Zelda, The Mysterious Mr. L
, Dry Bones, Fox McCloud, Counselor Grimtoad, and Luigi."

They wanted him back?! Hadn't he spoiled any chances in the tournament? "They wannht me bahck?!" Fox slurred out, getting unsteadily to his feet as he stared incredulously at the picture on the screen. Well, well... Perhaps he had another chance at this business! To celebrate, he waved a hand at the bartender. "Sorry pal," Said the toad behind the bar, taking in Fox's unsteady, disheveled appearance with concern, "I reckon you've had enough... And besides, we don't do credit."
Fox scowled, turned, righted himself before hitting the floor, and strode out. He'd show them... He wasn't just some washed-up old vet!
He'd make a kart racer of himself yet.

>Bathe

>Apply mouthwash

>Equip Racing Costume

>...Find kart

>Then get ready at wherever I'm supposed to be! Ask directions if necessary.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: August 11, 2012, 07:32:43 am »

????

Oomph woke up on an beach-like area somewhere (possibly Delfino or a Maridia he couldn't say), laying back on his shell, with a sticky note taped to his forehead.

He blinked in the glare of the horrible, evil morning sun. What had happened last night?

Oomph groaned, then plucked and read the note

Quote from: Be seeing you!
The Race is coming up Oomphy, if you forgot. And you'd better win this time.

Or you'll never touch my Hammers again!

-Hammer Sister Sue, XOXOXO

Well, that tears it. He needed to get back into the game! He had put off repairing his Kart, I mean, he always more important things to do...and he was sort of out of shape. All that free Cereal from Koopa Mills. Ugh.

Oomph thought maybe he had been banking a bit too much on his last near-win. He vowed this time, he would win for real! He would triumph! All the way to the top!

Now he just needed someone to come and tip him right side over.

"...Hello? Oomph could use a hand here!

I'm a big Kart Hero you know! Was totally almost won last time!

*grumble grumble*"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 07:55:28 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: August 11, 2012, 09:01:00 am »

i have read the entire topic and I have to say it's awesome and I want to be in!
Would I be able to participate in the Underdog Open?
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: August 11, 2012, 10:51:52 am »

In the major shipping yard known as Port Town, Captain Falcon was ending the meeting about a secret project, those that were working with him now filtering out of the room to return to their normal jobs. As the F-Zero Racer looked over the final details, he flipped on the the TV in the corner of the room to see if there was any new of the up coming season.

"...Underdog Open will be populated with Pikachu, Conker, Olimar, Captain Falcon, Link, Oomph and Shy Guy..." said the lakitu brother, and the Dougles began to smile. Packing up the papers, the bounty hunter left the office and headed back to his garage. Another chance for the prize, another thrill though his blood. He was going to need to practice.

"And the winner is..." He imitated the voice of the announcer "Captain Faaaaaalcooooooon"

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: August 11, 2012, 11:25:59 am »

((Unless I missed something, I should have two coins))

Olimar woke from the inside of the cockpit of his kart, the 'shipboard' AI announcing they had arrived. It had been a long ride from Hacotate. Once again Hocotate Freight had run into financial problems, and the president had sent Olimar off to strange new places to find loot. His kart had been specifically modified to find valuable loot easier, but suffered in handling from the peculiar design. He had no Pikmin to help him this time, only the annoying shipboard AI, he thought as he smacked the console.

"Careful, I'm much more valuable than you"

Olimar grumbled. Well, time to compete in these strange races. He opened up the console and brought up the competition manifest, navigating to MKL Races this season. Seems he was with the underdogs, with quite a few strange characters.

"Alright AI, autopilot to the Kirby Ralley"

"Aye aye, Captain!", the AI responded, in its usual sarcastic way. Olimar settled in for the ride. It was going to be a long one.

((In case it wasn't clear, I'd like the module installed))
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: August 11, 2012, 12:20:01 pm »

DB yawned as he rolled over on his couch, accidently kicking an empty soda can off the arm as he stretched. Noise coming from the tv announcing a new flavour of soda in the background as his company before switching to something else. "...Will consist of Crank, Princess Zelda, The Mysterious Mr. L, Dry Bones..." "Wait, what?" DB muttered as he slowly began to sit upright and grabbed an open can off the table and taking a sip. He didn't know wether to laugh or cry as he heard his 2nd chance was to come during the 2nd race against many of those who humiliated him so during the cup race. "Well, if theres any race to prove I'm worth keeping on the payroll, it's this one..." DB sighed as he got up and turned the tv off.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: August 11, 2012, 01:13:51 pm »

Shouldn't I have 20 coin with the 4 coin bonus?  In any case, let's go ahead and repair damage.

Crank nodded as he heard the Season Two information.  Second race of the season was his spot, and he'd be with many familiar faces.  Due to the quirks of the system, it'd be practically a rematch of the Star Cup.  Only McCloud and Grimtoad weren't in there last time, and McCloud he had met in the season opener.  Grimtoad... who was that?

He glanced at the screen and saw the pictures.  Oh yeah- he (she?  Hard to tell) was the one who had driven into the drink on Yoshi Falls on purpose.  That'll make for a wildcard.

No information on the course he'd be racing- no matter.  Crank already had a seat lined up in the Nookington box for Kirby Rally, ready for him to check out the newcomers.  He checked his watch- better get going.  He had to get his kart to the mechanic to get the issue he picked up on Rainbow Road sorted out.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: August 12, 2012, 11:06:51 pm »

The Mysterious Mr. L, moustache hanging limp, was busy drowning his sorrows in a large pizza.  Not the most effective method, but there are few things that a large deep-dish pepperoni pizza from Mona's pizza can't fix.  Except leaks.  Pizza doesn't fix those, they get soggy too fast.

Through bleary grease coated eyes Mr. L saw the messenger approaching.  Whad'ya want, ya little pipsqueek?

"I'm just delivering the mail sir." He held out a letter. "You can read it now or later."

I'll read it now. He snatched the letter out of the Toad's hand and cut the top open with a cheese stained knife. 

As he read his eyes grew and his moustache began to return to its former glossy glory. YES!!! I ACCEPT!!! He yelled and began to dance on top of the table.  There ain't no way you're keeping The Mysterious Mr. L down for long!  I'll strike like the lighting of space-time and wring them out of existence!
Confidence restored, he stood there cape flowing in the imaginary wind and foot in an inch of pizza.

"Do you have a letter you want me to carry back?"

The Mysterious Mr. L accepts the invitation to the Crown Open!
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #944 on: August 12, 2012, 11:31:17 pm »

Hello racing fans, and welcome back to our special MKL Preseason Special! I'm Jim!
And I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu Brothers!
We now move to our final topic- the list of rule revisions released by the MKL Competition Committee just hours ago!
Pulling Ahead and Falling Back both received extensive attention. To prevent drivers from being forced to make multiple checks against Falling Back, drivers with Momentum of less than One in the Cleanup Phase have their Momentum set to One (or, if they have the High Acceleration module, Two.)
Pulling Ahead is now a special case of Pass Check. This Pass check suffers a standard -6 Penalty, but is modified by driver Momentum. Thus, while at first glance it appears Pulling Ahead is a bit tougher, drivers ultimately have more control on the likelihood of Pulling Ahead because more actions influence the attempt. Drivers cannot suffer a Hiccup for failing a Pull Ahead check, and there is no minimum Momentum to make the attempt- a driver merely must be in first place and not be Driving Defensively.
The Items have also received an extensive rewrite. Item Rolls use a d12 rather than the standard d6, allowing for more variability in Item probabilities. Notably, Green and Red Shells are both more likely, while Bob-ombs and Blue Shells are less likely. Additionally, more Bananas have been added to account for the new racers, making leaders more likely to get a peel than anything else.
To account for this, each position behind the leader receives a +2 bonus to Item Rolls, as does the Item Bonus Module. Bonuses for segments behind the leader are still +1.
Bloopers have been carefully trained to only spatter Ink on the drivers ahead of the user, and not on the drivers that lag behind. Items that cause a driver to fly up into the air (such as Blue Shells and Bob-ombs) now cause the driver to lose Five Momentum. And finally, Stars grant TWO Momentum, instead of One.
Thrown items such as Bananas have been tweaked as well- they can target the player immediately ahead of the user, provided they are in the same segment. If an unopposed Hazard Check (-1) is successful, the item drops on the track immediately ahead of the target, and they must roll to dodge as if it had been released by a Kart immediately ahead. Otherwise, the target gets the standard +1 to dodge.
The Free Item Module has been upgraded to provide its Item at the end of Turn One, with applicable modifiers for position and etc.
And finally, the Point rewards for races have been adjusted. First through Third are unchanged, but Fourth Place is worth 4 Points, Fifth is 3, Sixth is 2, Seventh is 1 and if there is an Eighth racer he gets jack for his poor showing.
Next week, we'll be reporting live from the heart of Dreamland for the Underdog Open, first race of the next MKL Season! See you then, racing fans!

Shouldn't I have 20 coin with the 4 coin bonus?  In any case, let's go ahead and repair damage.

Crank nodded as he heard the Season Two information.  Second race of the season was his spot, and he'd be with many familiar faces.  Due to the quirks of the system, it'd be practically a rematch of the Star Cup.  Only McCloud and Grimtoad weren't in there last time, and McCloud he had met in the season opener.  Grimtoad... who was that?

He glanced at the screen and saw the pictures.  Oh yeah- he (she?  Hard to tell) was the one who had driven into the drink on Yoshi Falls on purpose.  That'll make for a wildcard.

No information on the course he'd be racing- no matter.  Crank already had a seat lined up in the Nookington box for Kirby Rally, ready for him to check out the newcomers.  He checked his watch- better get going.  He had to get his kart to the mechanic to get the issue he picked up on Rainbow Road sorted out.

((Unless I missed something, I should have two coins))

Olimar woke from the inside of the cockpit of his kart, the 'shipboard' AI announcing they had arrived. It had been a long ride from Hacotate. Once again Hocotate Freight had run into financial problems, and the president had sent Olimar off to strange new places to find loot. His kart had been specifically modified to find valuable loot easier, but suffered in handling from the peculiar design. He had no Pikmin to help him this time, only the annoying shipboard AI, he thought as he smacked the console.

"Careful, I'm much more valuable than you"

Olimar grumbled. Well, time to compete in these strange races. He opened up the console and brought up the competition manifest, navigating to MKL Races this season. Seems he was with the underdogs, with quite a few strange characters.

"Alright AI, autopilot to the Kirby Ralley"

"Aye aye, Captain!", the AI responded, in its usual sarcastic way. Olimar settled in for the ride. It was going to be a long one.

((In case it wasn't clear, I'd like the module installed))

Amended!

Checking in. I am ready. :)

Action: Fix Oomph broken Kart!

Repaired!

I am ALIVE!

Repair Shy Guy Kart!

...your Kart is not broken?

Alright, I'm ready to race and I'll take the Speedy module for my kart since we can have two now.

Module Benefit: Speedy
Module Hiccup: Sticky Wheel- When Driving Aggressively, a roll of 2 results in the loss of ONE Momentum

i have read the entire topic and I have to say it's awesome and I want to be in!
Would I be able to participate in the Underdog Open?

Yeah sure, whip up a character by race-time tomorrow and you're in!
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 73