Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73

Author Topic: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway  (Read 238997 times)

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix
« Reply #945 on: August 13, 2012, 03:48:45 am »

i have read the entire topic and I have to say it's awesome and I want to be in!
Would I be able to participate in the Underdog Open?

Yeah sure, whip up a character by race-time tomorrow and you're in!
:) I will create either a Mario-related character or a Fire Emblem one, I still haven't decided.(Knights racing in cars, that should be interesting!)
EDIT:In the end I decided to play as another type of knight

Driver:Meta Knight
Kart:Halberd (Standard Kart)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 06:05:35 am by LAAT501legion »
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:32 am »

I am ALIVE!

Repair Shy Guy Kart!

...your Kart is not broken?
Oh, huh.

Getting hit by that blue shell along with getting hit in the face by a princess with a tongue didn't break my heart kart?

Accept the invitation, and get my legs up to that race!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Crank, Champion of Season One!
« Reply #947 on: August 13, 2012, 08:12:14 am »

How exactly does Juggernaut work, anyway?  Does it change the Ram Driver action to accept a target?  Unless you're in first or last, the person you'd be ramming is ambiguous.  If for example, you're in first and Juggernaut-ram the person behind you, are they still prevented from passing you in the pass phase?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Crank, Champion of Season One!
« Reply #948 on: August 13, 2012, 10:40:42 pm »

Pikachu was sleeping peacefully when he was forceablly shaken awake by Ash. He was saying something about a race. Pikachu was about to use thunderbolt on Ash and go back to sleep when he remebered the race. Pikaaaa. Pikachu grumbled. Ah well, it wasn't as well he wasn't ready for it.
Accept invitaion prepare for race.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 15, 2012, 01:26:39 pm »

Hello racing fans, and welcome to this special race-day edition of MSN, sponsored by Silph Co! I'm Jim!
And I'm Bob!
And we're the Lakitu Brothers!
Reporting live from Dreamland, here beside the track at Zephyr Lake! We should be in for a great race today, right Bob?
Right you are Jim! Let's take a look at the course our racers will be navigating today!

Kirby Rally starts in Pink, a broad, flat straightaway that provides a Powerslide opportunity at +0! Due to the prevailing headwinds for which the Lake was named, drafting is an especially popular tactic, with attempts receiving a +1 bonus. At the end of Pink is a line of widely-spaced Item Boxes- attempts to hit start at +2, and each success imposes a cumulative -1 penalty on subsequent drivers!
After that, the racers enter Green, a broad, gentle curve past the Eastern end of the lake. Powerslides receive a +1 bonus in this stretch.
During pre-race warmups, some daring drivers took aim at a mound of loose dirt to the inside of the curve. They found that with the aid of a Mushroom and landing a +1 Hazard Check, they could jump over the water and land on the other side of the curve, instantly Pulling Ahead! It is a risky maneuver, however, and many drivers found themselves floating in the Lake instead!
Coming out of the curve, the Red road runs below an orchard of the famed Dreamland Apples. The ripe apples intermittently drop down onto the track, posing a Hazard of +2 to avoid Spinning Out! At the end of the lane is a sparse group of Item Boxes (+0).
Finally, the Blue curve cuts across the extremely shallow Western edge of Zephyr Lake. Powerslides receive a +1 bonus here, but failure forces a Hazard Check (+1) to avoid Spinning Out! As you can see, bobbing in the shallow water is a multitude of Item Boxes available to anyone who can hit at +1 bonus!
Kirby Rally is a three lap race, with an expected finish time of 12 turns. Now, let's turn our attention to the starting line, where the racers are taking the field!
The small fuzzy yellow mouse is Pikachu of Kanto, the first member of the Pokeverse to take the track on the MKL Prix! His Kart is widely known to be Speedy, but it is rumored that it suffers from a Faulty Weapons system. Pikachu and his trainer Ash are among the most decorated Pokemon Trainers in existence, but can the team add the Shell Cup to their collection? Their journey starts here!
Beside Pikachu is Conker, an altogether less pleasant rodent. Much like Pikachu, Conker drives a notoriously Speedy Kart, but in his case the extra speed has made the Kart less responsive, with a Sticky Wheel. In his youth, Conker was a prodigy of the failed Diddy Kong Racing League, and hopes to revitalize his racing career here today!
Next to him is Olimar, an employee of Hocotate Freight hoping to find fame and fortune on the track. His Kart is able to find better loot with an Item Bonus, but it's otherworldly design has given it Poor Handling. It will be interesting to see what the spaceman brings to the track!
Rounding out the list of Rookies is Meta Knight, a mysterious warrior and native of Dreamland! He has a storied history with Kirby, sometimes as a friend, sometimes as foe- it will be interesting to see what happens if he competes against his countryman later in the season!
Now approaching the starting line is today's most decorated driver, Captain Falcon! His experience as an F-Zero pilot paid dividends in his first race as he earned a spot in the Star Cup, as well as a lucrative contract with Rez Media, but misfortune and fierce competition sent him home with nothing. Now he returns to the track, hoping to claim a Cup at the end of this season! Ever cautious, his Compensator should protect him against any mid-race mishaps!
Beside Captain Falcon is Link, a Hyrulian who placed third in his debut race. His sponsor, the Koopa Korporation, hopes he can improve on that standing here today! Link's Module will grant him a Free Item to start the race, at the cost of being Not Aerodynamic, truly unfortunate given the draftiness of this course!
Ha! Clever, Bob. Next is Oomph, a charismatic Koopa who missed the second spot of the podium at the last moment. Today he gets his rematch with Captain Falcon, the driver who took that slot in the Star Cup- this could be the beginning of a budding rivalry between the two!
He is not the most unfortunate racer on the track today- our final racer is Shy Guy, a talented young driver who jumped out to a big lead at Cerulean Circuit last season before a Blue Shell and some astoundingly poor luck knocked him down to third place. Will his Speedy Kart bring him back to glory, or will his Faulty Weapons be his undoing?
We'll find out the answers to all these questions when the race gets underway... right after these commercial messages!

And we are underway! We are now on 24 hour updates once more, so stay on this thread, drivers! And post your first action- Rocket Start, or Play it Safe?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:39:48 pm by monk12 »

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mario Kart Grand Prix- Season Two Underway
« Reply #950 on: August 15, 2012, 01:53:58 pm »

Olimar was jolted awake by the sickening, horrendous cry of a Red Bulborb. Almost driven into complete panic, the only thing that kept his sanity was the annoying outburst of laughter emanating from the console.

"You should have seen your face! Oh, that was classic!"

Grumbling, Olimar took in his surroundings. Seems he was at the race. A strange, colorful world, it's bright colors betraying the monsters that surely lurked its landscape. He'd have to keep his eyes open.

He decided to Play it Safe.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 01:58:58 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: August 15, 2012, 01:59:05 pm »

Oomph pulled up alongside Captain Falcon.

"Ready for rematch, Falcon Man?" He challenged.

He gunned his engine.

Action: Rocket Start!
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:47 pm »

(I just noticed. When I first signed up, my hiccup was Rubber Band Back. Now it's Faulty Weapons. When did that change? If it will help, you accepted on pg. 34)
Pikachu pulled up to next to Olimar.

Pika Pika!(Are you ready to race, man from space/)
after asking Olimar his question which only he understood, Pikachu prepared to race.

Rocket Start!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:57:04 pm by wsoxfan »

LAAT501legion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:55 pm »

At last, my moment of triumph has come!
No longer will that chewing gum ball steal my glory!
For years I have tried to improve the lifes of the people of DreamLand, and yet I have always been misunterstood.
No more!

Rocket start!
This isn't reality.
THIS IS DWARF FORTRESS!!
*kicks an elf into the pit*
Roll to be a BATTLE WIZARD

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:41 pm »

Revving up the engines, Shy Guy only noticed that everyone else was busy with their own deal and interpersonal banter at this point. The lights were counting down to zero, and he couldn't afford to lose it like the last one.

Better make use of that mod right. Need to be Speedy...but that blue shell...

"Hei-ho~!"

Rocket Start!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: August 15, 2012, 06:45:02 pm »

Rocket Start!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 15, 2012, 07:59:01 pm »

Ah, the fresh air, the roar of the crowd, the smell of overpriced popcorn and hot dogs at the concession stand. There was nothing like it to the F-zero racer. He revved his engine back as Oomph gave the challenge, with a big grin and fire in his eyes.

"Bring it on, shell for brains"

Rocket Start!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

The Alchemist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 15, 2012, 08:43:16 pm »

Conker revs up his engine Alright time to get back that old racing magic.

Rocket Start.
Well...we're both drowning, he was drunk the whole time...this was a success!
- Me after completing a game of Red November.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 15, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »

(I just noticed. When I first signed up, my hiccup was Rubber Band Back. Now it's Faulty Weapons. When did that change? If it will help, you accepted on pg. 34)

after asking Olimar his question which only he understood, Pikachu prepared to race.

Rocket Start!

Wow yeah, my bad- that's almost certainly a copy-paste error. Your Hiccup is Rubber Band Back.

How exactly does Juggernaut work, anyway?  Does it change the Ram Driver action to accept a target?  Unless you're in first or last, the person you'd be ramming is ambiguous.  If for example, you're in first and Juggernaut-ram the person behind you, are they still prevented from passing you in the pass phase?

Yeah, that was worded poorly. It has been rewritten to specify that it only works on the Driver ahead of the user.

((I'm ready, fellas.))

Fox had been sitting slouched at the bar in some dingy little joint in town, staring down the demons in the bottom of his glass, when the voice on the dinky little bar TV somehow caught his attention.
Huh, the fuzzy image on-screen looked a bit like... A strange, yellow-coloured bomb? Some kind of toxic gas canister? Wait, no, it was the Lakitu brothers. He perked his ears, trying to listen.

"...To summarize- the Crown Invitational will consist of Crank, Princess Zelda, The Mysterious Mr. L
, Dry Bones, Fox McCloud, Counselor Grimtoad, and Luigi."

They wanted him back?! Hadn't he spoiled any chances in the tournament? "They wannht me bahck?!" Fox slurred out, getting unsteadily to his feet as he stared incredulously at the picture on the screen. Well, well... Perhaps he had another chance at this business! To celebrate, he waved a hand at the bartender. "Sorry pal," Said the toad behind the bar, taking in Fox's unsteady, disheveled appearance with concern, "I reckon you've had enough... And besides, we don't do credit."
Fox scowled, turned, righted himself before hitting the floor, and strode out. He'd show them... He wasn't just some washed-up old vet!
He'd make a kart racer of himself yet.

>Bathe

>Apply mouthwash

>Equip Racing Costume

>...Find kart

>Then get ready at wherever I'm supposed to be! Ask directions if necessary.

[1] Fox McCloud hastily returns to his fleabag motel conveniently located near one of the seedier spaceports in Corneria. In a bid to smell less like a feral animal, Fox rummages about in the small bathroom for whatever hygiene supplies he has. The complimentary bottle of "jungle fresh" shampoo he finds is too small to do any kind of thorough cleaning, and the free sample of "cinnamon" mouthwash tastes more like... orange juice? Strange. Soon enough, Fox braves the outside world once more, smelling less like sweat and cigarette smoke, and more like a dachshund dipped in mango juice.

[3] Fortunately, the Kart is right where he left it, in the back alley behind the motel. Unfortunately, there is significantly more graffiti marring the side of the Kart than he remembered. After a moment of hesitation, Fox elects to climb in anyway- he can clean it up later, before the race. The important thing now is to get to the track and start practicing, to get every possible advantage he can before the race starts!

...wherever the track actually is.

[6] In a flash of insight, Fox remembers that the receptionist at MKL HQ had given him her number! Well, not her number, but the number of the central office. They'd been rather insistent he have some way to contact them, after the trouble they went through before the Star Cup. Buoyed by newfound determination, Fox quickly exits his Kart and starts looking for a payphone!

Just as quickly, Fox remembers that payphones don't particularly exist anymore, especially on the technologically advanced planet of Corneria. Fortunately, the motel manager is willing to let him make a call with their phone- a quick call.

"MKL HQ, this is Fennel speaking, how may I help you?"
*cough* "Uh, this is Fox? I heard I'm in a race later, and I wanted to get there early to practice."
"Oh hey, Fox! Sure thing, let me just look it up quick... uh huh, you're in the Crown Invitational, which is scheduled to take place at Gloomba Grotto, deep beneath one of the alternate Mushroom Kingdoms. Tell you what, you're where, Corneria?"
"Uh, yeah. Yes, I'm in Corneria."
"Alright Fox, just head on down to the local Lakitu Travel Agency- I'll fax them instructions to get you into the right reality. They'll give you driving instructions from there, okay?"
"Yeah. Thanks. A lot. Do, uh, do I need money to cover-"
"Don't worry about it, MKL covers the dimension-hopping expenses. Good luck on the track, I'm rooting for you, Fox!"

Well, that went great! As he heads for the door, the manager's voice floats from behind him.

"Did you just make an interdimensional call!?! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THOSE COST!?!"

We've just got some interesting news from the garage courtesy of MSN's secret investigative reporter- apparently Link is driving with two Modules today!
According to the Race Inspection Official, the other Module is a malfunctioning Compensator- since it provides neither benefit nor hindrance to Link, he neglected to include it in his report.
A curious thing indeed- we'll have to keep an eye on that this race. The drivers are at the ready, and the second season of the Mushroom Kart Grand Prix is about to get underway!

Spoiler: Captain Falcon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olimar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meta Knight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Conker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pikachu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shy Guy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oomph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)

FAKEEDIT: Hey, look at that. Turn one will be up as soon as I can write it!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:46:22 pm by monk12 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 15, 2012, 09:43:27 pm »

Kirby Rally- Turn One

Start Your Engines!

Oomph pulled up alongside Captain Falcon.

He gunned his engine.

Action: Rocket Start!

Oomph pulls alongside the racer who bested him at Yoshi Falls!

"Ready for rematch, Falcon Man?"

[4] So saying, he guns the engine, bursting forward with TWO Momentum!

Ah, the fresh air, the roar of the crowd, the smell of overpriced popcorn and hot dogs at the concession stand. There was nothing like it to the F-zero racer. He revved his engine back as Oomph gave the challenge, with a big grin and fire in his eyes.

Rocket Start!

"Bring it on, shell for brains"

[1] Embarrassingly, the former Cup contender finds his wheels spinning helplessly on the track as Oomph leaves him behind! Captain Falcon gains no Momentum!

Olimar was jolted awake by the sickening, horrendous cry of a Red Bulborb. Almost driven into complete panic, the only thing that kept his sanity was the annoying outburst of laughter emanating from the console.

"You should have seen your face! Oh, that was classic!"

Grumbling, Olimar took in his surroundings. Seems he was at the race. A strange, colorful world, it's bright colors betraying the monsters that surely lurked its landscape. He'd have to keep his eyes open.

He decided to Play it Safe.

Seeing the veteran racer stumble, Olimar decides not to risk anything in this hostile, alien landscape, Playing it Safe and gaining ONE Momentum!

Rocket start!

At last, my moment of triumph has come! No longer will that chewing gum ball steal my glory! For years I have tried to improve the lives of the people of DreamLand, and yet I have always been misunderstood. No more!

[4] Meta Knight heroically surges out the starting gate with TWO Momentum!

Conker revs up his engine Alright time to get back that old racing magic.

Rocket Start.

[2] Conker begins charging his engines, but mistimes the release! The majority of the thrust is spent before he drops out of the starting blocks, and he squeals out the gate with ONE Momentum!

Rocket Start!

[5] Determinedly peering over the steering wheel, Pikachu expertly times his engine charging, blowing past the strange space man with TWO Momentum!

Revving up the engines, Shy Guy only noticed that everyone else was busy with their own deal and interpersonal banter at this point. The lights were counting down to zero, and he couldn't afford to lose it like the last one.

Better make use of that mod right. Need to be Speedy...but that blue shell...

"Hei-ho~!"

Rocket Start!

[6] Drawing on his previous racing experience, Shy Guy perfectly times his Rocket Start, blazing onto the course with THREE Momentum! This time, he'll make it count!

Rocket Start!

[1] Link pays as much attention to Captain Falcon as to the starting lights- much like the F-Zero pilot, Link finds his overcharged engines spewing black smoke! He gains no Momentum as he rolls onto the track!

Tie-breaking

Shy Guy is all alone out in front as he leads the way onto PINK!

Meta Knight, Pikachu, and Oomph are all battling for second place! [6] vs [1] vs [4] Meta Knight aggressively cuts off Pikachu, gaining ONE Momentum! Pikachu is forced to swerve wildly, avoiding an untimely collision with the enigmatic warrior as well as Oomph- at the cost of ONE Momentum! Oomph easily takes his place between the two, staying right on Meta Knight's tail!

Conker and Olimar are in a duel for fifth! [3] vs [3] They each push their Karts to the limit, [5] vs [4] before Conker manages to inch ahead and swerve into position- he'll have to watch out, however, as Olimar is right on his tail!

Link and Captain Falcon are scrabbling at the bottom of the leaderboard! [1] vs [2] Curiously, Link appears to slam the breaks, allowing a rather surprised Captain Falcon to pull ahead!

Cleanup Phase

Captain Falcon finds his accelerator, getting back up to speed and setting his Momentum to ONE!

Link anxiously watches as his Free Item Module kicks in, [10]+14 and snorts as he is rewarded with a Blue Shell! His Kart gets back up to speed, setting his Momentum to ONE!

THE RACE IS ON!

1st      2nd       3rd       4th       5th     6th      7th      8th
Spoiler: Captain Falcon (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Olimar (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Meta Knight (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Conker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Pikachu (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shy Guy (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Oomph (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Link (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Course Info (click to show/hide)

I also see I forgot to mention the Item Boxes (+0) in Red, so be prepared for that.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:45:04 pm by monk12 »
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 73