Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 51956 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached. Spoilers
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 02:36:14 am »

Thanks.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 05:29:39 am »

So you can dig through SMR with obsidian caissons, just like aquifers ?

Awesome ! So when I get a 2x2 entry with no adamantine veins I can STILL breach and invade hell !

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 08:09:06 am »

How many dwarves did you go through total? (including mistakes etc)
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:30 am »

Internet Explorer! That's the 1st thing I noticed in that video, 1 second in. For shame... :-\
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 08:51:32 am »

There are no words.

Is it possible to get a pit larger than 1x1?

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 08:57:44 am »

Very well done. I don't even think I have any questions regarding this. It is an excellent example of ingenuity, and I am proud to frequent the same forums as you. Now, how can I rip off apply this to slade mining?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 11:26:53 am »

Well. I noticed that the Magma flow tile fell all the way down and is now on the slade floor at the bottom. I haven't tried yet, but I assume I can now keep digging deeper through the floor of hell using the same method as SMR. I savescummed from that last video. I saved right before I broke through, so I will take better precautions to destroy the demons and see if I can setup a slade mining system next.

I'll also see about digging into the ceiling to obtain slade

EDIT: Am I the first one who has accomplished this goal? I thought it had been done before, but kept secret or something.

When everything goes to plan, you only need to kill one dwarf per layer. So that was about 7 dwarfs.  But before that, I was killing lots of dwarfs as they got stuck in the hole and I was experimenting on the best way to keep digging the hole out. Maybe 2 or 3 per layer :D 

One more thing to note: This takes a long time. Those copper picks takes about 1 whole season to melt from *Copper pick* to "molten copper laced with magma" Then another season for that molten copper to disperse and leave nothing but clean 7/7 magma. So Thats half a game year per layer of SMR.

If a Magma safe stone, or iron/steel object fell into the shaft, You might need be screwed. You can't cast obsidian on the magma flow tile to destroy them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:55:31 am by GoldenShadow »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 11:56:07 am »

silver has a lower melting point than copper.  You might save a little bit of time with silver picks?

Nice job.  If it works for slade, then I am quite excited to see what happens when you dig through the floor of hell.  Probably just a game crash or something, but maybe it is a bottomless pit, or... ?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 12:05:28 pm »

Beautiful. I have a save where I was training to breach hell, full masterwork steel weapons and armor being readied... I used reveal real quick to find that elusive spire... Nothing. Now, if I choose, I can continue my efforts!
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 01:02:06 pm »

I am going to have to give this a serious try later tonight. I will need to setup an outpost inside hell with some food, booze and beds for the workers. Then remove the staircase so I can resume the magma pours and floor collapsing to see if I can mine through the slade floor. In theory, it should work, but the monsters are causing me lots of grief.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »

I just had a crazy idea. What if I fill up the shaft full of water with a lot of pond zones quickly enough, (set them up with a macro) The suicide dwarf can swim to the surface and get out.. They might need swimming skills though.

In my game I saved right before the breach. The dwarf is already stranded int he bottom, he was dieing, but I used a garbage zone to dump a barrel of food and a barrel of booze to keep him alive.  I think I will dump 4/7 water in there until he is good at swimming, then I will designate like 100 pond zones overlapping one tile, so every dwarf in the fort will bring one bucket of water. It Might work!

EDIT

Nope. Didnt work. But it was weird. He stayed at the bottom drowning. when he died he just disappeared leaving no trace of his corpse or items he was wearing. Kinda bizarre.

Though, I only waited untill he was a level 2 swimmer, I went ahead and dumped the full thing with water from the screw pump instead of that bucket idea.  I wonder if it would work with a more skilled swimmer.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:30:39 pm by GoldenShadow »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2012, 11:48:41 am »

I just had a crazy idea. What if I fill up the shaft full of water with a lot of pond zones quickly enough, (set them up with a macro) The suicide dwarf can swim to the surface and get out.. They might need swimming skills though.

In my game I saved right before the breach. The dwarf is already stranded int he bottom, he was dieing, but I used a garbage zone to dump a barrel of food and a barrel of booze to keep him alive.  I think I will dump 4/7 water in there until he is good at swimming, then I will designate like 100 pond zones overlapping one tile, so every dwarf in the fort will bring one bucket of water. It Might work!

EDIT

Nope. Didnt work. But it was weird. He stayed at the bottom drowning. when he died he just disappeared leaving no trace of his corpse or items he was wearing. Kinda bizarre.

Though, I only waited untill he was a level 2 swimmer, I went ahead and dumped the full thing with water from the screw pump instead of that bucket idea.  I wonder if it would work with a more skilled swimmer.

Your idea SHOULD work, actually.  I think your problem is that you can't train dwarfs at swimming unless they MOVE AROUND in 4/7 water.  So he'd have to be trained ahead of time, not while in the pit.  Try that, instead!

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2012, 12:09:41 pm »

genius! I was messing around with this same plan but doing it wrong I see.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »

EDIT

Your idea SHOULD work, actually.  I think your problem is that you can't train dwarfs at swimming unless they MOVE AROUND in 4/7 water.  So he'd have to be trained ahead of time, not while in the pit.  Try that, instead!

You also need a ramp at the top of the shaft for him to have path. Otherwise he will stay at the bottom and drown.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »

EDIT

You also need a ramp at the top of the shaft for him to have path. Otherwise he will stay at the bottom and drown.

If you just build the shaft right at the edge of a natural elevation drop in the magma sea and/or the floor of hell, then you'll have a ramp there already (just gotta build one wall on the other side of the ramp to walk out on and a couple floors:

___
      ^____

___
      ^[ ]___ <--wall built (so ramp doesn't get destroyed in a minute, and to stop flow?  Dunno if will work).  Connect to ground with stairs or another ramp or floors.

__
    |  |^[ ]___   <--pit being dug into slade or SMR
    |  |

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:41:30 pm by GavJ »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6