Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 52163 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached. Spoilers
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2012, 02:55:07 pm »

For next time, I'll train the shaft workers' swimming skill to see if they can escape. They would greatly decrease the time it would take to dig through. The worker will bring the pick out of the shaft so you only need magma to burn away the wooden stuff and won't need to wait for the copper pick to melt and disperse for 2 seasons.
Actually..
If only cave-ins destroyed those up/down staircases, the worker only will need to swim up one single level. Build the upstair on the botom of the shaft, then deconstruct it. flood the bottom 2 layers with water so the dwarf swims up and uses the staircases to escape.
the only problem is when I tried dropping the cave-in on staircases, it blocks them the same way a solid natural wall does weirdly. So you have to manually remove each construction one by one from top to bottom.

Its really a mind bender to consider all the ways you can fail at this.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2012, 03:19:13 pm »

Flooded stairs are inaccessible. Trapped dwarves won't path.

Needs ramps.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 03:26:07 pm »

So, they won't swim upwards through open space, which is filled with water?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 03:31:18 pm »

Not if they don't have path out the top.

Submerged stairs are impassible. Submerged ramps are.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2012, 04:07:33 pm »

ohhhh. So it might work. I'll have to construct a lip to build ramps on since I can't channel the floor next to the shaft, it has revealed SMR under it, so it won't work. I'll give it a try.

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2012, 04:10:22 pm »

So, using this method, could one mine though eerie pits?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2012, 04:45:20 pm »

Thats the plan. I am bolstering my military strength to try again. I need to destroy all the demons down there so my workers can set up shop. I might have to breach a adamantine vein to provide a stairway down so I can use the SMR shaft to keep dropping floors and magma in.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2012, 04:55:25 pm »

Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2012, 02:25:51 am »

I had a big cavern dive today. I cleared out all of the forgotten beasts and mined up that adamantine so give my axelords some adamantine axes and helmets. They keep getting one shot with kicks to the head. I hope the adamantine helmets help with that. I don't have enough to outfit full armor, so I chose to just do weapons and helmets. I'll be ready to try to breach again tomorrow.

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2012, 06:55:30 am »

I had a big cavern dive today. I cleared out all of the forgotten beasts and mined up that adamantine so give my axelords some adamantine axes and helmets. They keep getting one shot with kicks to the head. I hope the adamantine helmets help with that. I don't have enough to outfit full armor, so I chose to just do weapons and helmets. I'll be ready to try to breach again tomorrow.

Have you considered the Checkerboard to deal with the opening rush of demons?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2012, 11:10:18 am »

There is no rush. When you dig through the SMR, the horde of demons spawns at a adamantine tube and they don't path to the SMR shaft to escape. After a bit of time they settle down and spread out throughout the underworld. The only way to colonize is with a strong military presense to defend the workers. I have 5 Master/legendary trainers who train a single recruit to legendary, then they get swapped to another squad.

So, counting the Teachers, I have 1 Axedwarf and 26 Axelords. Then 10 markdwarf recruits(levels 1-3), and 4 elite markdwarfs.

I lose the most soldiers in the breach shaft. The demons come out, chasing the masons building the staircase away, and the axelords go in to fight them in a 1x1 stair with nowhere to dodge, so they get stunned from slamming into the wall, then kicked in the head. Maybe I just need to adjust my tactics at this point.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2012, 04:05:49 pm »

I have a new squad of 10 markdwarfs training, I built them a barracks and 10 archery ranges. Once they got slightly skilled they started to train non-stop at those archery ranges. They keep running out of ammo with one magma forge doing nothing but forging copper bolts on repeat. I had to give them both forges making bolts keep up with them. They should be legendary in real soon. Used the opportunity to train up 2 new weapon smiths too

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

Even though I condemned you earlier for using IE, you more than make up for it in dwarfiness. Godspeed!
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2012, 06:49:39 pm »

Big setback. A forgotten beast with deadly vapors arrive in the lowest cavern. I had about 2 dozen war jaguars pastured down to keep the wildlife out of the fort. This forgotten beast charges them and gets dog piled by all the jaguars, They tear him up real good, then they all drop dead. His deadly vapor is no joke. No syndrome, just instant death.

So I order the evacuation and order military to evacuate as well. I wall in the main stairwell from the very top to trap it.
Good news it it is contained
Bad news is it is in the stairwell to the SMR shaft. I have a lot of provisions ready down there which are inaccesible now. The Fort is in no danger, but I can't move forward until I deal with this.
On top of that, a 2nd Forgotten beast has spawned with deadly dust. I tried pouring some magma on them, but it goes straight to the bottom of the shaft and burns up all the provisions, and the forgotten beasts weren't even hurt by it.
I think the only option may be to dig out some side rooms, carve fortifications in the walls and shoot them with markdwarfs.

Maybe I can set up some cage traps outside and catch the next goblin siege and pit them into the stairwell.

StLeibowitz

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_CENTAUR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2012, 08:53:28 pm »

Since you're already doing one megaproject, maybe you could put it on hold to wall off the caverns? Building destroyers can't touch a wall, even if made of dwarf spit and beard clippings. Just building a big wall around the fort should solve any difficulties with wildlife - and who needs trade caravans anyways?

As for the method itself, this is wonderful. My dream of lowering an entire embark site down into hell nears possibility!
Generally, when one is conducting an experiment, it is worth noting that the observers went insane, killed each other, and then rose from the dead.
It's like DF inhaled a peanut.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6