Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 52216 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just had bad ass Forgotten beast spawn in the underworld caverns. He killed a guy who was very slowly dragging a demon corpse to the butcher when the FB hurled a fireball at him and he burned to death. That demon corpse weighed more than a slade boulder. 19 Metric tons vs 14 Metric tons.

I don't think adamantine floors(made out of wafers) changes the unrevealed stone to raw adamantine. going to try raw adamantine stone next. I have to mine some more, I already processed all I had.

I'm starting to believe that the unrevealed slade changing stone type may only work once. So you would need to floor over as much area as possible on your first go. I'm going to revert to an older save and try it again. I need to figure out what causes the ground to change.
I tried collapsing a plain constructed floor. It didnt change anything.
I tried collapsing another magma flow, it didn't change anything.
So I am going to go back to the old save and replace some of those floor tiles with raw adamantine. Or Its just possible that raw adamantine can't be duped like this. That would suck though.

UPDATE:

It DOES work. I have created Raw Adamantine under the Slade floor. I guess The trick only works once. You will need to floor over the entire area you want to convert and mine before you dig through the Eerie pit

On my map, there are 4 layers on unrevealed stone under the slade floor. the top layer stays slade, but the lower 3 change into whatever is above them. So by paving the floor with a 4x4 section of adamantine, you quadruple it. 3 new layers to mine, plus you can deconstruct the paved floors after its done. You could dig out bedroom apartments in hell made from pure raw adamantine. The only catch is you need a lot of the stuff to pave the initial area. But you will get much more back.

Also, the stuff about adamantine wafers not working might not be true, since only the first cave in appears to trigger the transformation.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:33:06 pm by GoldenShadow »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I added a section to the Wiki. Its my first time doing such a thing. I don't know the etiquette there.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Hell#Reaching_Hell

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have new facts.

I have narrowed down the trigger that causes the unrevealed slade to change into normal stone. It happens the instant a dwarf enters that Z-level. I did a test. In one section of floor, I had normal slade cavern floor. in the other I had constructed floors made from diorite. I made a dwarf dig down just one level and mine out the area. He could only mine out the areas which had the constructed floors above.

So I built constructed floors above the rest of the slade cavern floor, then channelled down one more Z-level. Now the area I could mine out included the newly constructed floor.

This means this is a one shot process.

And it means that getting under hills is impossible. There are revealed slade walls which do not change, which create an impenetrable barrier to get under the hills. I did my test in a valley. The lowest floor Z-level of hell. I doubt trick this will work at higher elevations since the dwarfs will already be present on the Z levels that you are trying to reach.

So you'll only be able to get under the parts of hell. This will greatly limit the amount of slade you can recover unless you have a vast flat, low area to mine. If you do, you still have to pave it over first.

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So... you can mine ANYTHING, as long as the miner doesn't know what the material is.

"Sorry we shot down your plane, we didn't know it was invisible."

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Lol... So... Anyone submitted the bug report yet?  :P
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's not a bug, it's a !!feature!!
If anything, not being able to mine REVEALED slade and semi-molten rock is the real bug.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seeing as how convuluted this entire process has turned out to be, you can see why nobody has done this before. While it is technically a bug, it is only ever going to affect people who actively try to follow the instructions(or some variation) to tunnel down through the Semi-molten rock.  Rememer, the magma flow tile is the key to penetrating the Eerie pit and triggering the stone duplication glitch. But it makes the game more fun and gives you a very strong motivation to colonize hell besides the novelty factor. Its fun when you are 'breaking the rules'

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

(Complimentary morpheus quote)

This is a sparring program, similar to the program reality of the Matrix. It has the same basic rules like gravity. What you must learn is that these rules are no different than rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent, others can be broken.

Urist McNeo (from inside the HFS): "I am 'The One!'"

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile

Oh sorry for necromancy.

I've just found SLADE.

Finis sanctificat media.

mek42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 02:59:25 pm »

Does it have to be rock that you transform that layer to?  Could you make it steel? 
"Is that the game with the blinky characters and no pictures?  Maybe you do have Asperger's." - My wife after I mentioned my excitement over the elves bringing by caravan a whole bunch of wood after my deforestation project was neglected due to a near-tantrum spiral and total loss of my initial seven and a bunch of immigrants.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2013, 04:13:12 pm »

Does it have to be rock that you transform that layer to?  Could you make it steel?

No, since there are no natural steel floors.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2013, 08:15:43 am »

Actually (if I remember correctly), if you build the floor out of steel, you'll get minable "steel walls." Mining it produces boulders called simply "steel." I believe you can melt those boulders. It works similarly for other metals. Other materials produce some weird results. For instance, glass floors produce "rock," and bars of soap produce gemstones.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]