Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 51957 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pick your suicide workers carefully. Make sure they don't have any magma safe materials in their possesion. Give them copper picks and lock them in the work area.

1. Dig a channel over the unrevealed SMR. This will reveal the layer underneath with an unusable upward ramp and create a magma flow floor tile where the channel designation was.

2. Collapse a regular constructed floor into the shaft to flatten the shaft to the bottom. This moves the magma flow tile down one level where the unusuable ramp was. Use a magma NON-safe stone or wood for this step.

3. Pour some magma into the shaft. Just enough to fill the very bottom, you don't want more than one layer of magma in the shaft. If you do, you'll have to do more work to get rid of the obsidian. It turns out that creating obsidian in the upper part of the tube doesn't matter, just remember to dump the obsidian stones before you remove the stairs. The magma is used to melt/destroy all items present.

Don't proceed with step 4 until all items have melted and dispersed. The only thing on the tile when you loo(k) should be Magma flow and Magma 7/7.  Any magma globs will suspend constructions for the next step.
4. Use a pond designation to pour a single bucket of water to remove the magma at the bottom. Since it is on a magma flow tile, it doesn't create obsidian.

5. The shaft should be clear of all items, build a constructed staircase down, one layer at a time. At the bottom, build a Upstair. Then remove the staircase from top to bottom. The dwarfs will stand under the construction being removed, So remove the bottom upstair last. This is essential so the whole process is repeatable. When the upstair construction is removed, the magma flow tile will be converted into a normal stone floor. This is a suicide mission.

6. Go to Step 1st for the next layer down.

note) It has been discussed that flooding the shaft with water and allowing the miner to swim out may be possible, but I have not verified this theory yet.

Tour 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfSifBzgwIE

Tour 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSxv6TewdpA

Breach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwcZSvbMrow

How to mine Slade:   

Video Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urM19dQrsJ4
Video Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hcalni8h8Ak

This is very cumbersome method, but it works and yields as much slade as you could want, limited by how much floor space you decide to floor over.  Otherwise, its limited to less then a 1/4 of the total floor area of the underworld caverns. I haven't tested it this works on the hills, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Step 1. Find an Eerie pit next to your quarry. You will need to find a perfect spot. Two things need to line up. You need an Eerie pit edge. You need to find an accessible Magma flow tile directly above it. You'll need enough room to collapse a floor onto it to make it fall through and land in the Eerie Pit. This is just 2 3x3 rooms, one on top of the other, with a way in from the side.

Step 2. Prepare the drop site. Construct a floor over the Eerie pit tile. The Magma Flow tile needs to land on it.

Step 3. Prepare the drop shaft. Unlike the long difficult method of breaching SMR, once you are in the underworld, you can construct scaffolding up to the unrevealed ceiling and dig staircases from bottom to top through Semi Molten Rock with no problems. Stop short of breaking through and destroying the magma flow tile(if thats possible, I haven't tried) Channel out the stairs from top to bottom to leave an open shaft with nothing in it. Remove all scaffolding in the way between the Magma flow tile on top and the constructed floor over the Eerie pit tile.

Step 4. Prepare a Cave-in above the Magma flow tile. I build a support directly on the Magma Flow tile and put a floor on top of it, then make sure its disconnected from all 4 sides. Link the support pillar to a lever.

Step 5. Prepare the Mining Area. This is the most important step. You need to build constructed floors over the slade cavern floor over the entire area you plan to mine slade from. Floor over the entire area before you continue. It may not be possible to convert anymore unrevealed tiles after you begin. Use High value materials to pave the floors with, they will be duplicated and can be mined out for profit.

Step 6. Pull the lever to trigger the cave-in. the Magma Flow tile will fall down and crash through the constructed floor above the Eerie pit. This will punch an 'open space' hole in the Eerie pit tiles.

Step 7. Get a miner in there. Do whatever you can to get a miner to drop into that open space. I have him stand on a constructed staircase and remove it while standing on top. He will fall one Z-level and be stuck below.

Step 8. Use the Stuck miner to build a constructed floor on an adjacent Eerie pit tile. This gives him a place to stand.

Step 9. Make him build an upstair on the Magma flow tile then remove it. the Magma Flow tile will be gone now

Step 10. Make him channel straight down from where that Magma Flow was. Go as deep as you want, the bottom Z level of the map should be very close. Start to mine out a room.

Step 11. Mine or build upstairs every other tile. Extend those upstairs to the underworld floor above. The upper Z-level, just under the floor will not be changed into natural stone. It will remain Slade and can be mined from below.

Update:
As Tomsod suggested. You can use raw adamantine to pave the slade cavern floors. this will duplicate it and you will have multiple layers of fresh raw adamantine to dig up.

Obsolete Info:

I broke the game:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Original Post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 03:53:32 pm by GoldenShadow »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging through the Semi Molten Rock. Spoilers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:36:40 pm »

You cant dig slade I think, so you cant breach hell anyway.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:40:58 pm »

its unrevealed, so it should work.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:04 pm »

So I kept thinking and refining my strategy to dig through the SMR.
Here is the plan:

pick your suicide workers carefully. Make sure they don't have any magma safe materials in their possesion. Give them copper picks and lock them in the work area.

1. Dig a channel over the unrevealed SMR. This will reveal the layer underneath with an unusable upward ramp and create a magma flow floor tile where the channel designation was.

2. Collapse a regular constructed floor into the shaft to flatten the shaft to the bottom. This moves the magma flow tile down one level where the unusuable ramp was. Use a magma safe stone or wood for this step.

3. Pour some magma into the shaft. Just enough to fill the very bottom, you don't want more than one layer of magma in the shaft. If you do, you'll have to do more work to get rid of the obsidian. the magma is used to melt/destroy all items present.

Don't proceed with step 4 until all items have melted and dispersed. The only thing on the tile when you loo(k) should be Magma flow and Magma 7/7 Any magma globs will suspend constructions for the next step.
4. Use a pond designation to pour a single bucket of water to remove the magma at the bottom. Since it is on a magma flow tile, it dooesn't create obsidian.

5. The shaft should be clear of all items, build a constructed staircase down, one layer at a time. At the bottom, build a Upstair. Then remove the staircase from top the bottom. The dwarfs will stand under the construction being removed, So remove the bottom upstair last. This is essential so the whole process is repeatable. When the upstair construction is removed, the magma flow tile will be converted into a normal stone floor. This is a suicide mission.

6. Go to Step 1st for the next layer down.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 08:48:44 pm by GoldenShadow »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »

D:
At last, she is done.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2012, 09:11:07 pm »

Its working. I had to start over from a save scum after I figured out the best method. I am about 4 layers into the SMR now. So close, I can feel it!

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 09:55:01 pm »

Step by step screenshots or it never happened ;)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:25 pm »

{snip} double post
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 10:08:47 pm »

5 layers now, The longest part is waiting for everything to melt so you can keep going.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »

I got distracted right after i turned on the magma pump and it pumped through a bit too much magma, I am waiting for it to dry up so I can keep going. But I have to wait for the crap at the bottom of the shaft to melt and disperse first anyway

Heres a short tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfSifBzgwIE

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I did it! I got into the underworld without using an adamantine tube. I dug through 7 layers of solid SMR. It is a pain in the ass, but this proves it is possible. The I cut about 5 minutes from the videowhere I was just waiting for the masons to build me a staircase down to the bottom. My max youtube video length is only 15 minutes, and I had 20 minutes of game footage. The only thing missing is when a few demons come out , but my military handles them easily.

The video is still rendering/uploading. Gonna leave the PC on overnight and post the link tomorrow morning/afternoon.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 11:55:13 am by GoldenShadow »

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well done.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached. Spoilers
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:10 am »

!!science!! in motion.
Interesting, might give it a go
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 02:15:36 am »

Alright, here is the video, If you look at right as I post this, its is still processing, but I wanted to put it up before I went to sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwcZSvbMrow

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 02:20:17 am »

Well engineered, sir!

I proffer my !!socks!! in tribute!
At last, she is done.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6