Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: SMR Breached; How to Mine Slade; Duplicating Candy *updated* Spoilers  (Read 52207 times)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached. Spoilers
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2012, 10:07:19 pm »

It seems like the only solution if to find a few volunteers to go into their own squad and suicide attack those now 3 forgotten beasts. 2 with deadly vapors, and 1 with deadly dust.

I have 64 soldiers in the military now.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:08:52 pm by GoldenShadow »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »

You need to narrate that. Seriously. This entire thing has the makings of an epic story. First person to backdoor hell... ;)

"Hell, on our terms," or some cheesy nonsense :p

Oh, and you seem to get a lot of FB's with deadly vapors of one kind or another... Whats up with that?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2012, 10:20:26 pm »

Its the first 3 that are deadly. I've been killing the ones without syndromes with my military. A good dogpile works best. The FB is focused on one guy while his friends hack him to pieces from behind. Doesn't work so good with deadly vapors, everyone drops dead after they kill it.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2012, 10:57:10 pm »

That was pretty awesome.
So I volunteered 3 of the oldest guys into their own personal squad. they were 150 years old and would die from old age soon anyways, one of them was 162 years old. I was doing him a favor.

So I send them in and they fight 2 FB at once, they quickly dispatch the easier one with only 3 pages of combat reports. they chop it in half! The killing blow was:
The militia captain hacks The Forgotten Beast in the lower body with her =adamantine battle axe= and severed part sails off in an arc!

The captain quickly dies from inhaling the poisonous vapors.

So the other 2 guys are right behind him and engage the 2nd FB. This one has the deadly dust. This time its a much tougher battle. There's 21 pages of combat reports, mostly the forgotten beast getting caught in a cloud of its own extract.
The final kill move is kinda hilarious.
The Axe Lord punches The Forgotten Beast in the body with her left hand, bruising the muscle and bruising the brain!
This was some weird insect one and didn't have a head.

Those 2 Axelords were paralyzed and bleeding profusely from every pore on their body. they both bled to death only seconds after the beast was killed.

This left one final Forgotten beast. It was at the bottom of the shaft and didn't take notice of the combat above. So I sent my best squad geared with adamantine to take it out. It was a gamble since this one also has poisonous vapors, but I haven't seen it in action, so I don't know what the syndrome would be.
Well, I'll let you read what happened. this is the entire combat log:
The Axelord hacks The Forgotten Beast in the right second leg with his *adamantine battle axe* and severed part sails off in an arc!
The Forgotten Beast misses The Axe Lord!
The Axe Lord hacks The Forgotten Beast in the head with his =adamantine battle axe= and the severed pat sails off in an arc!

He didn't even have time to use his vapor attack. He was dismembered and decapitated in the 1st round of combat.

EDIT:
In other news, I am back on track to opening hell to see if I can mine SLADE and get through the bottom of the world.
Did you know Ash Phantoms can phase through fortifications to kill the elite markdwarfs shooting it? I guess I need to pen some animals in there for fodder so the military has a chance to do anything. It killed 2 markdwarfs before they put it down.
What happens is the mason building the staircase down gets scared and run out, leading the demons into an ambush, a full squad of elite markdwarfs behind fortifications shoot then. I guess I should mix some axedwarfs in with them.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:51:54 am by GoldenShadow »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »

Good progress. I have constructed a staircase to the slade floor without losing any dwarfs.(just some war jaguars were killed) I fixed the problems with the defenses so my military is safe. I keep checking the units page and evacuate when I see an underworld creature appear in the list, then wait for it to come up so I can kill it. Eventually, I should get the walls and fortifications up in the underworld so I can keep a permanent base down there. I'll dump a lot of booze and food to keep them alive, along with a a 100 bins of rock blocks to build a fort down there.

On an unrelated note, a cave dragon has arrived in the caverns. I set up some cage traps to try and catch it.

update: Yay! I caught the cave dragon!

Update 2: The dwarfs are butchering and eating Earthworm Fiend demons. They provide quite a lot of meat too.

I have a small defendable fort in the underworld now. It has 2 fortified mark dwarf positions to watch out for and kill incoming demons. One at the bottom and one at the top. They are pretty good about kill everything before it can get it. I boxed everything in with walls and ceiling and left one one entrance to act as a chokepoint for my markdwarfs to kill whatever tries to enter. I have a door to slow them down to be nice slow targets.

I figured out that I don't need a secondary staircase to perform the cave ins. I will setup a 2nd cave-in device inside the underworld, and funnel magma though the existing stairs, since fluids aren't impeded by stairs. All this means is testing is about to commence if I can dig through the slade floor.

At first it looks bad. I built over the magma flow that had collapsed down onto the slade floor, the removed the construction. This left a furrowed peat floor. I channeled it and it turned into open space. But when I went down one Zlevel to look, below the open space was just a slade wall. How disapointing.  But. I haven't dropped the cave-in on it to see what happens.

Dropping the cave-in did nothing. Next, I am going to test what happened when I try over an eerie pit.

Its super easy to breach a 2nd staircase through SMR is you carve up/down stairs from the bottom to the top. It doesn't reveal whats above it, so its very easy.

One of the weaponsmiths got a mood. He grabbed adamantine wafers first, then a bunch of other crap, including gold nuggets. When he was done, he had made an adamantine war hammer. The perfect weapon for the hammerer.

Theres still a giant horde of demons crammed into the top of one of the adamantine tubes. I am going to build a skybridge across the top of the underworld lined Fortifications on the sides to shoot out from. Just to keep the dwarfs safe so nobody will dodge off the edge into an eerie pit or something.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:08:37 pm by GoldenShadow »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:20 pm »

WHATEVER YOU DO, Don't collapse magma flow tile into the Eerie pits. It causes a looping cave-in that never stops. This will end my fort. I can't even resume the game, it stays paused forever since it caves in again in the very next frame. ARG this is so annoying. 

I exited the game and changed the init announcement to not pause and recenter for cavern collapses and made a video demonstration.

The implications being that you have a good chance when digging through the SMR that your shaft is right above an Eerie pit. Your game is over if it lands in there. Worst of all, is there is no way to know since its all unrevealed. I just got lucky. Actually, I was planning to have the original shaft closer to the staircase, which would have put it directly over the eerie pit. I got lucky.
Just a warning, Backup your save before you drop your cave-ins into the SMR shaft, just in case you are over an Eerie pit.

Have a save from before you even start the shaft and resume from that if thats the case.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCNt8zFnyvM
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:21:05 pm by GoldenShadow »

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:19 pm »

It seems the core tool here is that deconstructing a construction resets the floor type from magma flow. Is there a way to drop a carpenter-miner down the shaft, building and removing the construction, then channeling out from under himself?
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached, I broke the game. Spoilers
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2012, 10:38:16 pm »

Are you asking a question about the process, or offering a solution to the Eerie pit problem? I don't think it is possible to work on the eerie pit, there are cave-ins on every single frame. The dust cloud will knock them unconscious forever, because it never stops.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 10:40:44 pm »

I'm asking if there is a way to refine the process to use fewer dwarfs.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 10:56:20 pm »

Yea. you only need one dwarf per layer. Once you have a staircase down the shaft, you put an expendable miner in there to deconstruct/mine the staircase from top to bottom until he is stuck at the bottom with a stone/peat floor that he has to channel out. Then collapse a floor to bust the ramps down, then use magma to dissolve all the items in there, then use water to get rid of the magma and make a new staircase to start over.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:37 am »

(possibly) stupid question: does magma burn wooden staircases?

i've never really built a wooden staircase, so i've never attempted to burn one with magma...

but if it works, you could avoid losing the dwarf entirely without having to train anyone to high levels in swimming.

although, now i'm curious to see if i can make a very simple swim-training chamber...

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:40 am »

Constructions can only be destroyed by being deconstructed by dwarves; they're completely fireproof no matter what the material is.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 02:49:18 pm »

I am onto something NEW. I have destroyed a single tile in the top layer of Eerie pits. I am THIS close to breaching the floor of the underworld!

This is strange. I channeled through the Eerie pit to the most bottom layer of the map, which is -16 on this embark. But I can't do any deeper. I can't even remove the ramp on this level.

A weird thing is the unrevealed eerie pit tiles have transformed into the same material that I paved over them with.

I am so close to cracking this puzzle.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 03:55:54 pm by GoldenShadow »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:34 pm »

A few facts. You can build horizontally across Eerie pits, but Up/Down Stairs will not connect. You can not build an Up/down staircase in an Eerie pit. but you can floor them over.

1. Build a constructed floor over the Eerie pit.

If you collapse anything into the Eerie pit, it just vanishes. But if you use the SMR digging technique to drop a Magma Flow tile into the Eerie pit, you get odd results.
If the Magma flow lands in the middle somewhere, unsupported by any walls, it be stuck in one spot causing endless cavern collapse spam forever. Do not try this.

Instead, collapse the Magma Flow tile into the very side of the Eerie pit that has been floored over. This will destroy the Top layer of Eerie pit and put a magma flow tile on the 2nd layer. I believe this step also converts all of the Eerie pit tiles and even slade into some other types of mine-able stone walls. But only tiles with constructions above them. I even have aquifer tiles at the Very bottom layer of the map -16. I had these odd damp stones, when I dug them out an endless stream of water poured out into the eerie pit and washed away a couple of miners.

Anyways. Follow the SMR dig technique to drop the Magma flow tile onto the Eerie pit with a constructed floor. Then get a dwarf in there to build an upstair and remove it. This is not a suicide mission this time. You can build an adjacent floor over the eerie pit next to the worker for him to stand and do his work to get out. I made him channel to the very bottom of the map. I build a staircase back up to the floor of the underworld. and now I can proceed with mining the converted rocks under the slade floor.

I mined Slade! I used this trick to go underneath the underworld through the eerie pit, then dig back up from underneath to obtain slade stone! WOOT
Its now totally possible in vanilla dwarf fortress to mine slade without without have a demon fortress on your embark site. This is pretty damned cool.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 05:49:15 pm by GoldenShadow »

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Semi Molten Rock Breached, Slade Mined. Spoilers
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 05:54:43 pm »

Make slade warhammers.
Also someone needs to update the wiki IMMEDIATELY.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6