Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to locate a Necromancer?  (Read 1591 times)

thelordberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to locate a Necromancer?
« on: April 25, 2012, 05:21:18 pm »

So I have just fought off a siege of the undead, trading half my fortress military for security. Only problem is, doesn't look like I got all of them and there's a necromancer bastard running around to each of the piles of dead bits (Currently being atomsmashed, but hauling takes time) reanimating them, and creating a huge issue.

My question is, how do I FIND this Necromancer? He's far too sneaky for his own good.

I'm willing to use some sort of utility, if that will help.
I'm unspeakably dissspointed. A dwarven fortress has discovered a sentient creature made out of mushrooms, and no one has proposed brewing him?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: How to locate a Necromancer?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 05:39:48 pm »

He should reveal himself when he runs next to one of your dwarves.
Try just moving your militia around until you get him.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 06:14:25 pm »

You should get combat reports about him fighting. Use these to identify his species. Then, mod members of that species (assuming he's not a dwarf) to instantly evaporate at any temperature, reload your game, and use the one-step function until clouds of boiling whatever appear. Then, locate all of the clouds that were where no visible creature or item was, and make a note of it. Those places are where you should focus your search after you savescum and remove the instant-death mod.

Alternatively, keep soldiers stationed in a perimeter ~25 tiles, with no more than ~10 or so tiles between each soldier, around any reanimatable parts until they're all gone. The necromancer will flee from the soldiers, thus preventing them from raising anything while you clear them, then you'll be able to let him sneak into the confined spaces of your fort where you can actually corner, identify, and kill him.

It's practically impossible to locate a necromancer on an open field without dozens of dwarves to form a search party. Since necromancers seem to only be detectable in a ~3 tile radius and actively flee from any dwarf they come within ~15 tiles of, you won't find them unless you corner them, and you won't corner them in an open area unless you have the numbers to make a tight net that they cannot slip through. Even that's not reliable.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »

You could make a refuse stockpile full of corpses at the end of a 50 or so long tunnel with a drawbridge at the entrance. When corpses start rising, raise the bridge and lock him in. Then you can use whatever means you deem necessary to end his/her/its pitiful existence, or put it to use building an army of undead to unleash upon those who would encroach upon your territory.

Alternatively, you could build a temple for it and sacrifice a dwarf or two every so often, preferably down as long a dropshaft as dwarvenly possible for maximum gibbage.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 07:02:17 pm by Azated »
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

biomatter

• Bay Watcher
  • crying in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

You could make a refuse stockpile full of corpses at the end of a 50 or so long tunnel with a drawbridge at the entrance. When corpses start rising, raise the bridge and lock him in. Then you can use whatever means you deem necessary to end his/her/its pitiful existence, or put it to use building an army of undead to unleash upon those who would encroach upon your territory.

Alternatively, you could build a temple for it and sacrifice a dwarf or two every so often, preferably down as long a dropshaft as dwarvenly possible for maximum gibbage.
This. This one so very much! You have to weaponize everything, dude, and this is a golden opportunity!
Now you will know why you fear the night!