Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons  (Read 32159 times)

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
Re: Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:26:10 am »

This is also the kind of thing that got me playing this game.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 08:27:30 am »

The best part is there was a good engraver in the wave so I can get to work trying to preserve it.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

FreefallGeek

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 09:00:33 am »

Hilarious.

According to that screenshot, the axe that is doing all this delicious cleaving was previously owned by a dwarf named Muthkat Gulflanced. What is truly wonderful is that Muthkat was also SLAIN by this axe. It looks like the bat took the axe from him and then cut him down with it. I love this game.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 09:06:05 am »

Yeah, it's awesome. So far engraving is turning up 50% "mayor/broker/manager being fired repeatedly then re-elected, 20% dwarves dying in horrible ways, 10% simple shapes, and 20% "dwarven deity of chaos laughing". My mayor must of told the newcomers one hell of a scary story... Man, there needs to be an "Age of Bats"... Hm, I wonder if it's possible to name it that?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:08:09 am by Morpha »
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:16 am »

Double post etc, wanted to put screen shots seperately for the sake of it. This bat is so badass, it has a name, title, and massive straight scars crossing every part of its body. I have a screenshot proving the bat has the axe equipped.

Bat's name is "Atir Flagmuted the Braided Dimples". According to the weapon's history in your screenshot, the previous owner was a dwarf named Muthkat. Since the bat is now covered in Muthkat's blood spatter, I'd say he's dead.

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:10:51 am »

was this a loyalty cascade?

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 09:15:04 am »

Nope, not a loyalty cascade. I was mining out the roof to apply light underground in order to grow above ground crops, underground. Like usual, the stupid miner mines away his support tile and falls to his death. Apparently he was Best Friends Forever with every single dwarf in the fort, because it all went to hell when that happened.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:21 am »

The bat's name... it's horribly non-badass...

Giant bat covered in dwarf blood carrying a bronze battle axe is, however. Now try and name the axe by getting it to kill moar stuff.

20% "dwarven deity of chaos laughing".

Well, that was obviously Armok laughing his ass off when looking at your fort.

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:23 am »

Looks to me as if a demon shifted shapes to hide among people.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

I'm not aware of demons being able to hide as non-sentients, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It also had the option to butcher it, and I don't think you would be able to do that to a demon (demons counting as sentients regarding butchery).

I'm curious if I can !!WEAPONISE!! this. Assuming spider limbs are treated the same way as bats, theoretically you could turn them into a whirlwind of blades. Dragons have been observed wearing Large (human) armor pieces, so I'm curious if it is related to them simply spawning with it in world gen, or somehow taking it off an enemy in a fight through wrestling (do dragons actually use that skill?) since that would appear to be how the bat acquired the axe. If I equipped spare peasants (or any migrants I don't need) with weapons after making sure they are sufficiently UNSUITABLE for combat (exhaustion, dizzy etc) I may be able to arm the bat, spider, etc with items with minimal risk to it and hopefully non-fatal to the test subject/s until their weapon/armour has been wrestled away (previous poster has mentioned a FB that presumably took the shirt off a goblin before using it as a lethal weapon).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2012, 11:34:13 am »

I'm not aware of demons being able to hide as non-sentients, someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It also had the option to butcher it, and I don't think you would be able to do that to a demon (demons counting as sentients regarding butchery).
They can't. And anything that a demon shifts into will have "XX twisted into humanoid form" as it's description.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 11:40:25 am »

Mini update: It turns out Muthkat was my chief medical dwarf. No wonder he got so many kills with his knowledge of dwarven anatomy =P

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 12:13:41 pm »

Bats have HUMANOID_FLIER as their base body definition. HUMANOID_FLIER has hands because it's basically HUMANOID with the FLIER tag. There. Explained.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 12:18:55 pm »

Bats have HUMANOID_FLIER as their base body definition. HUMANOID_FLIER has hands because it's basically HUMANOID with the FLIER tag. There. Explained.
Interesting, guess I'll see what I can do with that. You happen to know why dragons can appear wearing armor though, or the scorpion with the xbow?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »

You happen to know why dragons can appear wearing armor though, or the scorpion with the xbow?
I don't know about the dragons, but as for the scorpions, it's claws have GRASP.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4