Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons  (Read 31668 times)

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Badass Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons
« on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:44 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So uh, the hell just happened here....

It apparently had it from the start of the battle so I have no clue what is going on.

EDIT: Checked the equipment for the bat and it indeed has it listed as equipped.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:55:43 am by Morpha »
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Stray Giant Bat with equipped weapons
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 02:27:00 am »

Did your woodcutter still have her axe?

My guess would be that at some point the giant bat wrestled someone who had an axe, and by pure chance managed to yank it out of their hands. Then the combat RNG kicked in and led to a giant bat hacking people to pieces. You can see similar things happen (more often in adventure mode since combat is more important there), when a creature yanks off your pants or steals your shield/weapon and then proceeds to beat you to death with it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 02:32:03 am »

Did your woodcutter still have her axe?

The woodcutter is using a copper axe, the bat an bronze axe. So who knows where that bat got that axe from.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 02:33:39 am »

I once had a FB beat goblins to death with a spider silk tunic. xD

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:47:23 am »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat

This is me when I read the combat log haha

EDIT: Axe has 13 notable kills (all dwarves and several with titles), 1 gremlin. 8 of the kills were a dwarf, and the remaining 6 were by the bat. This, uh, might actually be my best fortress death so far. Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 02:51:47 am by Morpha »
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 03:02:35 am »

eh, the combat log shows the dwarf in red, which is enemy comba, and the bat as friendly, blue combat text?

stray giant bat... it's tame or reverted to wild?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:16:26 am »

I'm guessing the bat has the axe in her mouth. But seriously, most awesome giant bat ever ! This must go in legend, next to the likes of Asâx !

What title did the bat got ? Is it suitably awesome ?

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 03:21:32 am »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat

This is me when I read the combat log haha

EDIT: Axe has 13 notable kills (all dwarves and several with titles), 1 gremlin. 8 of the kills were a dwarf, and the remaining 6 were by the bat. This, uh, might actually be my best fortress death so far. Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.

I think my brain nearly BSOD'd trying to visualize a bat carrying an axe in its wings.

Real bats fly with what are essentially webbed hands. Toady coded batwings by putting flight tags on the hands of a humanoid bodyplan and never removed the grasp tags so they can still pick stuff up with their pseudowings.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/eutheria/batskeleton.jpg

Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 03:30:09 am »

Many species of bat can grasp with the talons on the leading edge of the wing. Its basically a single finger hold, but its enough to pick up/hold small objects.

I can't imagine it actually swinging the axe though, without propelling itself backward. Not unless it could squeeze the other "fingers" closed tightly to keep the wing from catching air as it swung.  That still doesn't explain how it can deliver the blow without breaking its wings though. Batwings are very fragile.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 03:31:51 am »

I'd imagine the bat is carrying the axe in one of its feet, so as to still be able to fly. But then again, this is DF, I could be wrong.
Do tell us, Morpha, what that title is.
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

Olith McHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 03:42:36 am »

There was someone who had a giant desert scorpion steal their quiver and crossbow, and then shoot them a while back. But the mental image of a bat flying around with an ax and hacking dwarves to pieces takes the cake.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 04:53:29 am »

This needs to be memorialised in a picture.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 05:24:22 am »

Yes ! OP should engrave like mad unless he gets engravings of the killer bat !

Also, bat wings may be hands modified for flight... we don't care, it's too awesome to apply IRL logic to.

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 07:34:19 am »

I have two dwarves remaining. My mayor has survived the deaths of the other 68 members, along with another random dwarf. They are both on their final legs, scared out of their minds by the winged horror who slew their brethren. I shall give them both engraving and set them to engrave the fortress with their dying breath in the hopes I capture this moment for all eternity.

The bat was tame at some point (was some guys pet in fact if I remember correctly) but it's now listed as *Atir Solonrul Nakuthstorlut Stray giant bat (tame) , the fort descended into a tantrum spiral when I collapsed the roof onto my food stock/farm by accident >_> Some unfortunate dwarves went into a berserker rage and I guess a lot of them took turns attacking the bat. You know where it went from there (Batman, aka "Atir Solonrul, Nakuthstorlut", somehow arms itself and decides to cleanse Gotham City, AKA GranitePulls). I don't usually watch the spirals once I lose 50% of my dwarves, but I just had to follow this one.

The english name of the bat is "Atir Flagmuted The Braided Dimples". It could be cut off (got full name shown now) but it sounds like a mute, blind, bat decided he had enough of their shit and made a braid out of dwarven beards. I guess he stole the dimples from dwarven women somehow...He's that badass, he caved out an INDENTATION IN THEIR SKIN and made clothing out of it. Is there any way to check if it's the full name (eg, scroll across or some menu other than the V key?).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:44:56 am by Morpha »

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 07:43:19 am »

Double post etc, wanted to put screen shots seperately for the sake of it. This bat is so badass, it has a name, title, and massive straight scars crossing every part of its body. I have a screenshot proving the bat has the axe equipped.

Keep in mind I have no idea how many kills the bat got before it aquired an axe, and I do not know if kills without the axe are counted as axe kills. If not, then its kill count could be even higher.

@gareth: I'm assuming that dwarf was in red because it was one of the berserkers. Honestly, I lost all track of what was going on for a while, I just happened to randomly check the combat log.
Edit 2: "some migrants have arrived". WELCOME TO F***ING GRANITEPULLS! HOPE YOU LIKE GIANT BATS! (points for getting reference)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 08:17:20 am by Morpha »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4