Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Relationship  (Read 3256 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Relationship
« on: May 07, 2015, 12:38:51 am »

I noticed some dwarves just won't recognise each other even if they have been together(even sharing rooms) for decades.

After reading the wiki page, I thought they should at least be passing acquaintance to each other... but no, they just don't appear in each other's relatinship list, while all those in the list are friends.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Relationship
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 01:19:23 am »

EVERYONE  else is a friend?  That does sound like bug material, depending how many dwarves we're talking
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 01:25:55 am »

EVERYONE  else is a friend?  That does sound like bug material, depending how many dwarves we're talking
Everyone else in the list.

The fort is decades old. There are only 21 dwarves, and most of them have only 10(minus those dead ones) in their relationship list.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 01:27:40 am »

Can dwarfs socialize while they're working, though?

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 03:38:41 am »

I'll say file a bug report and see what happens. They should either befriend each other slowly or at leats hate each other.

Okay, it miiight be possible that they simple dont care about each other up to the point that they dont care any but. If that's the case then it's new.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 11:15:00 pm »

They don't socialize when working, so it is possible for two dwarfs to spend years right next to each other and not be friends. Though in a fortress that small it does seem odd that they wouldn't eventually meet. I think clashing personalities might also prevent friendships.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 10:57:50 am »

I am certain that dwarves socialize when training in the military though, since in countless of my forts the paired off dwarves are always friends with each other. I'm not entirely sure if training and working are the same thing here though.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 11:25:39 am »

I am certain that dwarves socialize when training in the military though, since in countless of my forts the paired off dwarves are always friends with each other. I'm not entirely sure if training and working are the same thing here though.

It generally appears like that. My miners are also often friends. It's not because they socialize on the job though, but because they tend to be off work at the same time.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 12:48:57 pm »

I noticed some dwarves just won't recognise each other even if they have been together(even sharing rooms) for decades.

After reading the wiki page, I thought they should at least be passing acquaintance to each other... but no, they just don't appear in each other's relatinship list, while all those in the list are friends.

I seem to recall some sort of bug or possibly game limitation that implied there might be a maximum number of relationships stored on a dwarf.  Anyone with more knowledge of the subject around?  It might help to post the screens of the two dwarves, relationships and personalities. 

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:11:17 pm »

It generally appears like that. My miners are also often friends. It's not because they socialize on the job though, but because they tend to be off work at the same time.

I think the last part is key. For most labors socializing happens only during down time ("on break", "attend party", or "no job"). For military maybe they're able to become closer on the job since it requires them to interact? (sparring, demos, etc)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 07:41:13 pm »

I seem to recall some sort of bug or possibly game limitation that implied there might be a maximum number of relationships stored on a dwarf.  Anyone with more knowledge of the subject around?  It might help to post the screens of the two dwarves, relationships and personalities.

They were #2 in this topic. If you want to check their personalities.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150456.0

Some fact:
1) They were both migrants(arrived roughly 5 decades ago) and born in a time before time.
2) They didn't have relatives except their god(s).
3) They had 14 or 15 other dwarves(dead of alive) in their relationship list. Except the dead, all were friends.
4) As you can see from that topic, they didn't worship the same god(s).