Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541785 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #135 on: May 06, 2012, 01:52:05 am »

I spent my turn wandering in the wilds around Ubiq's starting point. :3

Friggin' giant dingoes.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:16 am »

Orky either started in the same area as we did or in the civ on just the other side of the Scholarly Fingers since Sprayflies was in that area as well. It'd be nice if somebody started in Dendwelling as they could make it to the Bronze Towers in a single day and spend a few more headed south towards Silverysect rather than having to hike all the way from the other side of the world.

I think I saw exactly two giant animals during the entire trip; a Giant Grasshopper and a Giant Louse. Outside of keas or yaks luring off or killing my sidekicks (the yaks, not the keas though I was treated to a fight between a kea and an alligator once), the only wild animals I was really bothered by were dingos, an anaconda, wolverine men, and a sea lamprey of all things that I encountered while trying to figure out a place to cross over the major river that cuts The Romantic Empire in half. The sea lamprey carved Nish up pretty badly actually, but quick travelling as soon as I got away from the river took care of that. Only the dingoes managed to inflict any lasting wounds, which is odd since the lamprey did a lot more damage with nothing to show for it ultimately.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 02:50:50 am by Ubiq »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 06, 2012, 02:45:32 am »

Kes and Reudh ripped through some turtles. We encountered nothing but animals. We also killed buzzards, and a single kea at one stage.

Then, after sleeping surrounded by campfires for protection in the open (in a square around Kes and Reudh), the campfires burnt out and giant dingoes just about swallowed Kes whole, and ripped Reudh's arm off.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 06, 2012, 06:10:28 am »

Well if I don't hear from FEN by Monday, I think we will skip his turn (for now) and go to Corai

Reudh, I'd study up on Ubiqs success, you may get another turn after all :)
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 06, 2012, 06:29:44 am »

We started in a hamlet... Forgot the name, but I know it was something like Riddleriddles or something repeating.

And I look forward to attempt no. 2.

I'd also like a turn as overseer of the fort when that comes to it.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 06, 2012, 08:07:46 am »

Ubiq, I'd like to thank you so much for that detailed story and especially the survival tips! I never knew how to avoid the bogeymen before. So I just had to try it out, loaded up the save, and then managed to survive several days by camping in the mountains and caves!

I started around the same area as you did and then more or less followed your route. Even found the remains of the helmet snakes, I think. I then lost a foot to a giant bat in a cave and then dragged myself to nearest human town, Evenedlions, to search for a crutch. On the way there I got ambushed by a pack of dingos but amazingly managed to kill them all, thanks to martial trance. I reached the town when it was already dark. Explored the town the next day and found nothing but fruits for sale. Found the cathedral and the keep next to it. Explored the upper levels of the keep, found no crutches, so I went downstairs, opened a door and got jumped by a bunch of kobolds! I think I managed to kill two swordskobolds while being pincushioned by the kobold bowmen. I had like 8-10 arrows sticking in me when I finally suffocated. Why do humans allow a kobold camp to exist in their keep's basement?

Anyway, thanks to those tips I survived for days, covered about 1/4 of the trip you made and got over 30 kills. I just might have a chance to reach the mountainhomes when it's actually my turn. Saying this aloud, I probably get killed by a groundhog in the first day :p

Also, Legends Viewer is a must once you learn how to use it. Makes navigating around a lot easier.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:39 am »

Bloody hell, its a shame to waste such an epic story, even if you didn't make it.

I know your turn isn't for a while and we were waiting on Fen, but he has been a no show. Whoever does go next, I am tempted to use your save just so your mighty deeds are not lost forever.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 06, 2012, 02:38:24 pm »

That's fine by me, just say if you need the save.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 06, 2012, 02:46:22 pm »

Since I am up, wheres the save?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 06, 2012, 02:53:57 pm »

Should be up in a bit.
Also a note for you, and all others...

Remember to document your travels!
Screenshots are your friend.  If you find yourself in some epic battle or come across some grand sight, make sure to post pics so it may be immortalized!

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 06, 2012, 03:24:30 pm »

All righty then, here you go: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6269
Didn't know that I would end up jumping in line, so I'm sorry everybody! Note: I played on 0.34.07.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 06, 2012, 08:47:36 pm »

Ubiq, I'd like to thank you so much for that detailed story and especially the survival tips! I never knew how to avoid the bogeymen before. So I just had to try it out, loaded up the save, and then managed to survive several days by camping in the mountains and caves!

Bogeyman don't appear in glaciers, tundras, or sea biomes either. Beaches are probably the safest location you can sleep in since they fall under the sea biome and relatively few threatening animals spawn within it that can actually attack you on the shore as the bulk of them tend to keep their distance. Mountains have relatively few animals to worry about as well; Giant Eagles are your main worry, but are rather rare. If anything, the main thing you have to worry about in mountains is getting your skull caved in by a yak that you ran into because you weren't paying attention.

The others have very few animals possible so your chances of getting a dangerous one like a polar bear or giant lynx are much greater. Still far less dangerous than an encounter with boogeymen though.

I would suggest swimming across lakes and seas in the event that you're stuck out in the middle of nowhere without companions, but the fact that rivers and streams freeze overnight means that you can expect the same from oceans.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 06, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »

Aight my finals for college have been finished and done with, I have about 3 weeks empty so LET'S DO THIS.
oh. apparently not. I'd thought I had until Monday to get started. Guess I'm after Corai.
*waits*
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:25:55 pm by Fen »
This space for rent

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 07, 2012, 06:31:45 am »

Sorry Fen, mang now I feel horrible :(
Well I promise you get next spot regardless of what comes :'(

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 07, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

This is pretty much what i do normally. History very short, Civs very low, Beasts very high, Savagery very high, Minerals very low.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 120