Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539091 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2012, 10:18:55 pm »

GODSPEED BRISTLE HEAD!
May Armok Protect you!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2012, 12:22:17 am »

Here we go, as per tradition, I have custom named and titled my character.

I didn't do that actually as I expected Nish to acquire a title naturally as I wandered on.

Of course, kill-stealing and risk aversion syndrome prevented that, but I'm pretty sure that people will recognize him by the whole Legendary+3 Ambusher/Legendary+2 Crutchwalker deal he has going on.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2012, 11:27:39 pm »

WELP. After jumping on in, I had the horrible misfortune of getting plopped down into a village all on its lonesome, with no other nearby settlements, capitol cities, or anythings. To my even greater dismay, nobody in town had anything needing doing; It was my plan to go kill some quest things, hunt wildlife and get a survey of the Area before heading out into boogeyman-infested wilderness.

After my foray into this challenge, the biggest obstacle I think people will have to face if figuring out where they are, where they can safely go, and how much the town they start in can actually help them.

I started in the town in the top-left corner. Lonely little place with not much going on, a few abandoned houses and some village people doing village people things. (Not singing or dancing, though)

One fortunate thing about my location, however, was that there was enough wildlife around that I managed to get the jump on a giant thrips, and secured a source of food!

In fact, the place was absolutely teeming with giant insect life. Later on, I found a giant louse as well... While insects don't make the greatest eating, I got what I needed in a short amount of time. The only other wildlife I'd seen were some elk and buzzards; both too hard to catch for me. I took to sneaking near creatures, knapping a bunch of rocks, and throwing them at it. I figured eventually I'd become good enough at throwing for it to be a viable ranged attack rather than a hope for a lucky shot.

I carried on, as you might guess from the first screenshot, to the south-east. And on the way, I found murders of ravens. And some of them were very, very big ones. I must have passed at least three groups, hoping they didn't decide I would make a wonderful meal.

One thing I noticed, was the large number of rivers which would freeze over sometimes, but be regular rivers at others. Fortunately, I never fell to my death in one or got frozen solid, but I would have to stop traveling and wade through a river fairly often, removing my blood coatings I was saving to drink later. At one point when I stopped to move through the river, I encountered a pack of (normal-sized) dingoes and managed to kill them all. Unfortunately, I can't find the screenshot anywhere.

I had thought I could jump from lair to lair as a resting place safe from boogeymen, on my way to the only other town I could find, off to the south-west. Unfortunately, time did not agree with me. On my way from one lair to the next, I knew about halfway there that I wasn't going to make it. The distance was too far with nothing inbetween but wilderness.

That night, I was beset by boogeymen. I couldn't land anything on them, and prayed for a martial trance that never came. In the dark of the night, Fen Zustashnazush Beldatur, Fen Ancientblood the Gray Spire, was slain.

I'll have the file up for the next person in line as soon as I can. Be prepared, potential adventurers- I died in the late of autumn. I've seen the beginnings of something few would be able to overcome. If your turn is soon, brace yourself.
Winter is coming.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:32:42 pm by Fen »
This space for rent

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 20, 2012, 07:26:55 am »

NOOOO!!!!

Another brave Warrior has been struck down :(
Dear god, This world is not for the feint of heart it seems!
It would seem Torrasque666 is up next, let us hope he fairs better.
After him we have just Melkor and Phones left, and then we may start repeating spots.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 20, 2012, 07:52:38 am »

Ooh, goody. I can't wait for another turn... Reudh and Kes survived for a very short time before dying. :P I swear it felt like seconds.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:40 am »

This is pretty, Eppiiicc!!!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 20, 2012, 09:53:50 am »

Ooh, goody. I can't wait for another turn... Reudh and Kes survived for a very short time before dying. :P I swear it felt like seconds.
Practice practice.

Just be sure to practice on OTHER maps.
My advice, gen a similar but smaller world and just play over and over seeing how logn you will survive.
By the time your turn comes around again your skills will be much improved l;)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 20, 2012, 10:12:43 am »

Oh, I would have been fine if it weren't for those BLASTED GIANT DINGOES.

I reckon I would've actually made it a half decent way.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 21, 2012, 02:00:13 am »

Aight here we go, good luck.
Watch out for giant everything.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6354
This space for rent

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 21, 2012, 06:33:32 am »

Be sure to send a PM to Torrasque666 just to let him know hes up Fen :)

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2012, 10:03:29 am »

I saw, just remind me one thing.

Which civ am I starting from?

EDIT: I won't be starting till I get home, school's internet is slow as fck and i'm not gonna spend a half hour dl-ing this.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 10:05:24 am by Torrasque666 »
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 21, 2012, 10:44:27 am »

there are free spots for more brave warriors? i want o take a turn if posible.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 21, 2012, 11:29:07 am »

I saw, just remind me one thing.

Which civ am I starting from?

EDIT: I won't be starting till I get home, school's internet is slow as fck and i'm not gonna spend a half hour dl-ing this.

Start civ will be "The Watchful Rags"
Be sure to note where you start on the world map to see how close you start to some of the others.
If you can find a close by start spot, you can follow their path of killed beasts so there are less "bad things" to worry about.

Hope you have a lot of good experiance to do this, only one so far has lived on the trip!

Also, as of right now, no more free spots.
We will go through the full list and then repeat, if one of the current players drops out, a spot will open up.
After the Fort gets going into Succesion mod, well then there will be more open spots.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2012, 02:18:44 am »

I'm going to be highly amused if on repeat performances, we use the same names and/or titles of our previously dead adventurers.
"I'm Urist McAdventuredwarf the spinning leech of stones the twenty-fifth. The one who didn't die."
This space for rent

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2012, 09:57:18 am »

We should TOTALY do that.
Anyone that goes again should use the exact same name but with "-II" or "-III" at the end :D
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 120