Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541047 times)

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2012, 10:41:03 pm »

I actually had the good fortune to start out where Ubiq did, so I'm just following his path of destruction. Also helps that I practically have an army with me. I'll post more later.

I really, really recommend waiting until nightfall to cross any streams or rivers that you encounter to see if they freeze and to look for brooks as much as possible. That army will quickly disappear otherwise.  You'll need them when you hit the larger red boxes as well as that's dingo territory; Nish managed to avoid any giant ones, but not all of us have been so lucky.

What all companions do you have far as weapon prowess goes?

My army contains three crossbowmen, two hammermen, a swordsman, an axeman, and a lasher. Wait, scratch that lasher, I think some yaks killed him. And I do have the map that was posted up in another window so I can see where you went so I can go around, or in the case of those damns mountains I'm in right now I realized that I could have but didn't go around. I'm regularly taking pics, but I'm going to post my tale when my turn is over. Whether that be by victory or by dingo, we'll find out.

EDIT: Scratch the hammermen and the axeman, they either wandered off or died, and I'm too lazy to check.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:50:01 pm by Torrasque666 »
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2012, 11:09:53 pm »

I think the best skillset to have would be:

High dodging, high throwing, high ambusher (for sneaking), and high observer (for avoiding ambushers.) And swimming, at least Adequate.

That's the best survivability imo. Pelt with rocks in stealth mode, get a lucky shot and kill them. Dodge in close combat.

I usually skip swimming, ambusher, and throwing and put points into dodging, observer, weapon skill (usually Swordsdwarf), and a single level of shield user while attribute points mostly go into agility, kinesthetic sense, and spatial sense.

These three attributes maximize your ability to dodge. Disease resistance and recuperation receive the remainder as there is no way to train those and it is a real nuisance when a dwarf gets a infected bruise.

Far as the skills go, swimming trains endurance, but surviving floundering/drowning works much, much faster and you have a decent shot at doing this by finding a Murky Pool with a section that is one tile wide as your escape options are much better. It's not hard to go from average endurance to superdwarven in time it takes you to reach Novice Swimmer from no swimming skill at all. A Novice or better Swimmer only gets floundering/drowning status when swimming under a construction/natural formation or if they hit a stagnant river so it isn't quite as easy to train. This is a risky practice though and not something I'd do in a situation like this.

Weapon skill is useful because it makes it more likely that you'll start with a weapon forged out of a higher quality metal. Accomplished or better Swordsdwarves seem to have a much better chance of starting with a steel sword than a dwarf with lesser skills. Plus it helps you acquire soldiers as sidekicks more easily. Novice Shield User is useful for the same reason; granted that a steel shield doesn't block any better than a tower-cap shield, but it flattens skulls a lot more efficient. I don't take any more levels than that though as it's a really easy skill to level by sneaking into catacombs and collecting a bunch of shields and using them all at the same time.

My army contains three crossbowmen, two hammermen, a swordsman, an axeman, and a lasher. Wait, scratch that lasher, I think some yaks killed him.

EDIT: Scratch the hammermen and the axeman, they either wandered off or died, and I'm too lazy to check.

Yaks are murder-machines when it comes to sidekicks as those idiots tend to charge straight in and have their skulls smashed to tiny bits by the deathyak's hooves of steel. It's best to avoid actually walking around as much as possible when you have companions since they have a bad tendency to wander off if there are animals nearby; using quick travel guarantees that they'll not do this.

When you get to a town, I'd recommend trying to pick up a spear/pikeman or two as they have a remarkable knack for hitting vital organs or causing large opponents to bleed out. The crossbowman are useful so long as they have ammunition, which is an even better reason to avoid streams and rivers when they are not frozen as archers have a bad tendency to take potshots at the local wildlife.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 26, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

*Poke Poke*
Any word from Torrasque666? I'm all eager to know if he's still alive!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2012, 12:25:12 am »

I'm working on it. Do you have any idea how slow it is to actually walk over a mountain range? Pretty damn slow.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2012, 04:08:41 am »

I'm working on it. Do you have any idea how slow it is to actually walk over a mountain range?

Why, yes. Yes, I do.

Which one are you crossing? The Scholarly Fingers or the Bronze Towers?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2012, 11:14:12 pm »

scholarly fingers. Its taking forever...I'm going to find the next town and retire for a bit, and pass it on. I'll start back up should my turn come around again.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2012, 02:58:18 am »

scholarly fingers. Its taking forever...

So you're not even a third of the way across then.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

Dang sorry to hear it Torr.
Did you fast travel at all on the trip? Or did you try walking the whole way?
I know you can't fast travel in mountains, but I figured you'd make up the time traveling over open areas.

Well either way post the screenshots and results of your story, I am sure we will get back to you.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:32 am »

fast traveled to the base of the mountains, then started to hike. Stupid me tried to cross at its widest part. Or maybe it just seems that way to me...
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 28, 2012, 08:56:24 am »

If you are able to get to the base you could fast travel around the base of the mountain range, I think oyu can still avoid Boogymen that way.

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 28, 2012, 07:40:16 pm »

If I can make it to the base, then I'll be fine for a while. I'm moving it all to a bigger and faster computer so that I can take more than 5 steps before freezing.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 28, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »

UPDATE: I've been keeping on with my quest and I just made it to Evandlions. I have recovered Uggi's body and I'm bringing it with me. He deserves a dwarf's burial, not just laying next to a stairway.
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2012, 07:05:44 am »

UPDATE: I've been keeping on with my quest and I just made it to Evandlions. I have recovered Uggi's body and I'm bringing it with me. He deserves a dwarf's burial, not just laying next to a stairway.

Thats awesome Tore :)
Good to hear you picking up the Falling, If oyu have made it to Uggi then oyu aren't doing to bad.
Any interesting experiences yet? How goes avoiding boogimen?

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 30, 2012, 09:28:17 am »

Army keeps them away. This is my process for building my army.
  • Go to nearby fort
  • Recruit all seen soldiers
  • Go back to Evandlions
  • Sleep till dawn
  • Repeat
  • Profit
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 30, 2012, 09:55:32 am »

So, oyu are just raiding the dungeons of that town over and over? Are you trying to clear it out or something?
No wonder you are taking forever :P
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 120