Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 540700 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #495 on: June 26, 2012, 02:11:23 pm »

HERE YE HERE YE!!!

As many know there are a great many out there that wish to join in on the "FUN". However, sadly, things are moving along slow and thus we have not yet had a chance for others to particapate...

UNTIL NOW!!!

For those seeking to help in some way, I am looking for eager and brave members to "Beta Test" the sites around where we shall eventually build our fort!
YOUR MISSION should you choose to accept it...

Download the most recent save version:
Download the Utility "EMBARK ANYWHERE" or it's partner "JUST EMBARK"
Found a 7x7 Fortress around the Dwarf city location of "Silverysects" where we are headed to.

Your goals?
To play and test the location, dangers, and most important... To see if what we have already done in the world is recorded! Have engravers engrave all over seeing if they record some of the heroic deeds. Also, play the test fort long enough to get 2 or 3 Immagration waves.  We have two Dwarves out there, if you are able to have one arrive as a migrant, it will be confirmation of everything we are hoping for!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 26, 2012, 02:14:09 pm »

Day 2 of Travel

As it turns out, I have actually exaggerated the human axeman's injuries, as he quickly climbed up the stairs after I removed the arms of the kobold, and after a short walk around town, he was fine. We rested for a few days to heal our wounds and make sure we would have adequate rest for the trip, and after successfully stealing some wild strawberries for food from the farmers' market, we set off towards a gap in the sea between me and my quest that would allow for minimum swimming. There had been a few more quests I could've done, but they were too far in the wrong direction for me to bother with completing.

When it became dark, I decided that it was a good time to rest for a little bit, since I didn't want to get lost and I was getting a little hungry as well.

Well, 30 seconds after returning to normal travel, this is the scene.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The dingoes quickly mob my axman companion, and I am content to stay on the sidlines, picking off dingoes one by one and not allowing myself to have the same fate as my companion.

The battle is over as quickly as it had begun, with my companion, Ñethu, his name was, only sustaining bruises across his body, and me coming out without a scratch. I pickup Uggi's corpse again, and decide to rest, letting the battered axeman do watch. We shall see what tommorrow's travel's bring.

=END=
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 26, 2012, 02:15:25 pm »

Download the most recent save version:
Download the Utility "EMBARK ANYWHERE" or it's partner "JUST EMBARK"
Found a 7x7 Fortress around the Dwarf city location of "Silverysects" where we are headed to.

1. Why? The area is embarkable just fine without such a tool.
2. 7x7? That's crazy big for some of us .. My old but trusted computer can't do bigger than ~4x5 while maintaining an acceptable framerate
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 26, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »

1. I think there's already a dwarven city there, so you need embark anywhere to overlap with the existing one.

2. Presumably so huge because they want it to be the mountainhome from day 1, effectively.  Those big cities are usually quite large.  In theory they could start at 3x3 or 4x4 then just abandon and re-embark every few years to enlarge the area, but meh.

Did I get that right?

Child of Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 26, 2012, 02:37:06 pm »

Yeah,7x7 is quite big, i had a 3x3 embark, ( it was a very deep one, but mehw) with 30 dwarfs, and i had 30 FPS.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2012, 02:51:23 pm »

We are embarking on top of an existing mountainhomes, Silverysects. That's why you need embark anywhere tool. The tool already comes with DFHack's Windows version. First find the right spot from the "Choose Fortress Location" screen, go to DFHack's console, type "dfusion", select "2 some misc tools" and then "3 Embark anywhere" and then "q" until you exit the dfusion mode. Then go back to DF and you'll be able to embark.

Make sure you select The Watchful Rags as your civilization.

Now if you do a 4x4 embark here, your wagon spawns just next to Rogon's corpse, on the spot where Ubiq retired and built a bonfire to his fallen companion.

Full 4x4 map of the location: (3 z-levels, big images):

I had my first migrant wave and have built some statues, nothing interesting in them yet.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2012, 03:22:09 pm »

Day 3...4?... of Travel
I have been trekking for the past few days, with nothing but water on my mind. I have reached areas with plenty of rivers and I ended up chancing on some dingo corpses, which I butchered a few for meat, but it is only occasionally that armok smiles on me and makes the ice in my backpack turn to water so to prevent me from dying of dyhydration, but it changes back within the hour, and my belly can only hold so much water at a time.

Not much else has been going on, and I have simply given up keeping track of the days, merely marking a new day number when something of interest happens. I certainly hope I get in a fight soon. Even the blood of my enemies is better than nothing at all...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 26, 2012, 03:36:23 pm »

Day 3...4?... of Travel
I have been trekking for the past few days, with nothing but water on my mind. I have reached areas with plenty of rivers and I ended up chancing on some dingo corpses, which I butchered a few for meat, but it is only occasionally that armok smiles on me and makes the ice in my backpack turn to water so to prevent me from dying of dyhydration, but it changes back within the hour, and my belly can only hold so much water at a time.

Not much else has been going on, and I have simply given up keeping track of the days, merely marking a new day number when something of interest happens. I certainly hope I get in a fight soon. Even the blood of my enemies is better than nothing at all...
Why does everyone keep dying of dehydration? It's simple! Make camp fire. Shift + I for interact with in advanced way. Choose ice. Select heat ice at camp fire. Drink water coating that is now on your hands.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2012, 04:47:02 pm »

Or, you know, brutally slaughter an innocent animal and drink it's blood.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:15 pm »

It's simple! Make camp fire. Shift + I for interact with in advanced way. Choose ice. Select heat ice at camp fire. Drink water coating that is now on your hands.

If you hear/read someone calling this procedure simple it's a sure sign you are on bay12 ...
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2012, 04:56:37 pm »

Interact with your waterskin, heat it over the campfire and drink from it as usual, instead of licking your body parts like some filthy elf.

Meanwhile in the parallel universe:

Edit: and this just popped out from mason's workshop:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:10:54 pm by uggi »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2012, 06:17:11 pm »

Freaking Awesome Uggi!
That is the sort of things we are hoping to find in this "Beta Testing" mode!
Keep us informed of anything else!

EDIT: Also apparently it was an issue with Versions.
I just downloaded the new .11 and am able to now play all the old saves from previous.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 06:21:33 pm by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »

BTW, it is possible to dig in adventure mode, just very dangerous. And you can only dig through ice walls. You simply light a campfire near them. It requires exact calculation and strong swimming skills, though, or you'll just drown/get encased in ice.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2012, 07:09:33 pm »

I can't tell whether that sounds like a fantastic idea or a terrible one.
I think I'm going to go with fantastic.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2012, 08:46:04 pm »

Greetings. Unfortunatly, life has striked me in the head, shattering the skull and tearing the brain! So I won't be around to play for the remainder of the week (Haircut, dentist, summer school, lack of sleep... the list goes on). However, since some of us *Stares coldy at Crossroads Inc.* have been getting desperate in getting 7 dwarves to or destination, he has convinced me to give me my current save, where he will attempt to continue to the adventure in my stead.

Take care, and don't drown the world in magma while I'm gone! I want to witness it myself!

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 120