Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 540726 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #510 on: June 26, 2012, 08:56:58 pm »

However, since some of us *Stares coldy at Crossroads Inc.* have been getting desperate in getting 7 dwarves to or destination, he has convinced me to give me my current save, where he will attempt to continue to the adventure in my stead.

(blushes) Ok so I got a liiiitttttle desperate there... But I promise I shall be an honest and worthwhile custodian of the game you entrust me with.
(bows deeply)

Lets DO THIS BABY!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 26, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »

I'll take the turn if you don't want it...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2012, 09:09:11 pm »

Reading this, I finally gave Adventure Mode a try.  I kinda wish I'd tried it earlier considering my love of rogue-likes.  Any chance I can get in on the fun when another spot opens?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »

If you want to help out right now, you can participate in the "beta testing" of the starting site, explained on the previous few pages.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2012, 09:30:06 pm »

I've never checked to see if there is a linux version of DFHack, so I don't know if I can do that part.  I don't have a problem waiting for "my turn" at running an adventurer to the SW corner.  I can use the time waiting to practise my Adventure Mode skills. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2012, 10:42:23 pm »

It's a pretty great site. Plenty of flux and iron ore.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 26, 2012, 10:47:25 pm »

I've never checked to see if there is a linux version of DFHack, so I don't know if I can do that part.  I don't have a problem waiting for "my turn" at running an adventurer to the SW corner.  I can use the time waiting to practise my Adventure Mode skills. ;)

There is DFHack for Linux but sadly the dfusion plugin is Windows only, therefore the embark anywhere option isn't available. Maybe it works under Wine, I haven't tried.

Edit: I uploaded my test embark (map size 4x4) on DFFD, if anybody wants to try it out:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6584
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 11:05:22 pm by uggi »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 27, 2012, 06:43:14 am »

Dear Armok, one day into this and I think I just fcked myself! I went into a Cave to kill a beast, and I can't bloody get out!!!
Well I was experimenting with a Dwarf, right now hes stuck in a cave:

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 27, 2012, 07:00:22 am »

You sure he's stuck? Try going up the ramp at another angle. That should work.

But if you really ared stuck... then just go on a bloody rampage in the caverns and never look back.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #519 on: June 27, 2012, 07:08:58 am »

Adventure mode can be brutal - I've been playing around for fun as an adventurer in this world and have macro leveled 3 4 degeneracy 3+ throwers and great sneakers, and in each case they have died miserably. Usually to Kobolds. Good God its rough, you never which moment you are going to be a bad ass and throw a bolt so hard that the kobold flies into a wall, or the moment you become a pinata.

Fun.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 27, 2012, 07:10:13 am »

been trying to come at it form different methods for the last 5min...
I think I am pretty well fcked.
(eyes the cave)

Ok... Lets go out in style...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:41 am »

Definitely. Dodging and shield user skill is a must to begin with, the rest should be learnt on the fly.

High endurance so you can last longer in fights is good as well, that way you won't keel over exhausted after killing a dingo.

I never macro level, at all. Nor do I spend time flinging rocks manually, I just throw as a matter of course.

And yeah, I suppose it's like real life. You can be as powerful as you like, and even if you've slain 5000 elves, a dingo might bite your arm off and kill you.

It all comes down to luck.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 27, 2012, 08:52:08 am »

Dear Armok, one day into this and I think I just fcked myself! I went into a Cave to kill a beast, and I can't bloody get out!!!
Well I was experimenting with a Dwarf, right now hes stuck in a cave:

Oh carp, that's a nice one-way-only ramp there. Which cave is that? At least give a warning for the future adventurers to not to go there.

Edit: You can fix it with DFHack! Use "k" to place the in-game-cursor at the floor tile east from the upward ramp (the tile NE from your character in that screenshot). Go to DFHack console and type "liquids" to enter the liquids plugin. I think it defaults to [magma:point:7:f+:s.]. Type "o" to switch to obsidian wall mode. Then just hit Enter once and type "q" to quit the liquids plugin. Go back to DF and the floor tile should be changed to obsidian wall and the upper levels of the cave should be accessible again.

Disclaimer: I tried this in fortress mode, but it should work in adventurer mode too.

If you can't run DFHack, just pass the save and somebody will fix it for you. Unless of course you enjoy staying in the caverns.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 08:54:11 am by uggi »

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 27, 2012, 10:26:59 am »

Allright, I'm testing the embark now and apart from embarking atop of Rogon's mutilated remains (lying among assortment of random crap including several animal skeletons) everything seems fine so far. Iron is plentiful as is flux, there is some sand and there are enough trees to last for some time. No water though (or at least not yet).
Also, look what I've got from my mason:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 27, 2012, 11:24:12 am »

Adventure mode can be brutal - I've been playing around for fun as an adventurer in this world and have macro leveled 3 4 degeneracy 3+ throwers and great sneakers, and in each case they have died miserably. Usually to Kobolds. Good God its rough, you never which moment you are going to be a bad ass and throw a bolt so hard that the kobold flies into a wall, or the moment you become a pinata.

Fun.

Now if only Toady adds a "Corai" caste to kobolds. THEEEEEEEN you have a threat from kobolds.

/sarcasmhinthint
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 120