Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539195 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #525 on: June 27, 2012, 11:26:20 am »

Is there an embark anywhere for Mac?
If not, should I embark in the surrounding area? (for beta-testing)
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 27, 2012, 11:38:53 am »

Dear Armok, one day into this and I think I just fcked myself! I went into a Cave to kill a beast, and I can't bloody get out!!!
Well I was experimenting with a Dwarf, right now hes stuck in a cave:

Oh carp, that's a nice one-way-only ramp there. Which cave is that? At least give a warning for the future adventurers to not to go there.

Edit: You can fix it with DFHack! Use "k" to place the in-game-cursor at the floor tile east from the upward ramp (the tile NE from your character in that screenshot). Go to DFHack console and type "liquids" to enter the liquids plugin. I think it defaults to [magma:point:7:f+:s.]. Type "o" to switch to obsidian wall mode. Then just hit Enter once and type "q" to quit the liquids plugin. Go back to DF and the floor tile should be changed to obsidian wall and the upper levels of the cave should be accessible again.

Disclaimer: I tried this in fortress mode, but it should work in adventurer mode too.

If you can't run DFHack, just pass the save and somebody will fix it for you. Unless of course you enjoy staying in the caverns.
AWESOME~!
this is ONE thing I do not mind "Cheating" at, I'll be home from work in about an hour and then send you the save file.
And yeah we should mark that spot for the furture.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 27, 2012, 11:55:08 am »

Personally I'd head into the caverns if you have access. There are totally slopes in real life (wtf is that?) that you can go down but not up. Slippery shale type stuff for instance.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 27, 2012, 12:35:44 pm »

Back home from work, sending the file to Uggi.
And the cave... It is a double ended cave trap...

The bottom of the cave passage goes out into a sea. You can't go ANYwhere.
I couldn't even die a heroic death to some monster if I wanted to :P

So Uggi is my only hope :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:07 pm »

Dear Armok, one day into this and I think I just fcked myself! I went into a Cave to kill a beast, and I can't bloody get out!!!
Well I was experimenting with a Dwarf, right now hes stuck in a cave:

Use alt + numbers to move, try 6. It should present an option of "Move to whatever floor (east/above)" and "Move to whatever floor (east)" or something.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:39:01 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 27, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unfortunately the ramp needs a wall to the east to possibly be usable.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:38:59 pm by Xenos »
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 27, 2012, 12:37:19 pm »

The heck? I was just looking at this.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:38 pm »

The heck? I was just looking at this.
Now I am confused about why Corai is confused.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 27, 2012, 01:29:34 pm »

In light of the number of starvation/ dehydration deaths, I'd like to make two points:
1. The aforementioned 'heat ice by campfire' also works for snow.
2. In some farmers' cottages, there are bags. These are full of berries and other plants, and are free to take without reaction. (i.e. you won't be mobbed and stabbed to death with a carving knife)
Hopefully these should keep food stocks up.

Sorry if you already know this, just trying to help.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:25:28 pm by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 27, 2012, 02:09:19 pm »

How often are waterskins available for sale in shops?  In real life, you would want to have at least two or three, possibly more depending on the expected terrain/environment, when making a long trip.  From my (very) limited experience in adventure mode the need for multiple waterskins seems to hold there as well.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 27, 2012, 02:09:53 pm »

Just an update, I was able to escape the cave on my own.
Don't ask how I did it, needless to say, the adventure continues, expect a full update by the end of the day

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 27, 2012, 02:16:58 pm »

Don't ask how I did it, needless to say, the adventure continues, expect a full update by the end of the day
... a masterwork engraving commemorating the escape of Crossroads from the Inescapable Cave in 10. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

xominxac

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Bookkeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 27, 2012, 04:06:26 pm »

You know, I've always wanted to do something public like this but I probably wouldn't be able to becasue the only internet access I have is either on my phone or a library computer and the speed there is slow as heck... I'm content to watch this play out for now. Loving the stories.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 27, 2012, 04:20:00 pm »

The Adventures Continue...
(A note, the save file Orky sent me had him back in town shortly after his adventure killing Kobolds and grabbing Uggi's body. I decided to finish off one or two more quests in the area before heading out... It lead to much "FUN")

"There was a moment, as if I felt the world suddenly split into two worlds...
I looked at my hands, touched my face.. It felt as if some new force was looking out from my eyes... Some unfamiliar entity guided me...I shook my head and ignored it… The Law Giver of this Human town had tasked me with eliminating some more troublesome Kobolds for to the North…

I set off with my companion Ñethu and the corpse of the fallen Uggi.   Nethu thought taking the corpse with us was a bad idea, but muttered something about “Dwarves being Dwarves”
We had barely left the town however when it seemed we were once more put to the test.  A great pack of dingo’s seemed to appear from nowhere and was immediately upon us.

I prepared myself for what was to come, waiting for the beasts to make the first move.  Nethu however was not as patient; she charged headlong into the back and brought her axe down quickly.

All too quickly I found the beasts upon me as well. I  swung my Axe wide tearing flesh and trying to strike as many as I could. I looked up to see one coming upon Nethu, I screamed out a warning and charged forth trying to save my companion.

The battle seemed over in a flash, and yet felt as though it had lasted an eternity… I checked upon Nethu who seemed bathed in blood.  she clutched her arm and hand which had oozing bite marks, yet she seemed able to stand.
Once we were certain the danger had passed we fell from exhaustion.
 I cursed myself for not preparing a fire… But fate was kind to us. We awoke the next morning, covered in a dusting of snow and Nethu looking better for her wounds. We tacked north for almost two full days. The late winter air cold and chilling. Rivers froze at night, and several times we were forced to melt Ice Water to keep our thirsts sated.

Eventually Nethu spotted smoke far in the distance, campfires from the bandits we were tracking.  At last we had come upon our target…

We crept closer to the smoke; soon we could hear the mad jabbering of the bandits.  I looked to Nethu and nodded, this was our moment.  Leaping forth, the lead Kobold spotted us and snarled as we leapt forth. I dashed forward, colliding with a bandit holding a small silvery sword.

Nethu came quickly to my help as she brought her axe down as well deep into the beasts leg.  It snarled and garbled as she twisted it. 

Dispatching the first bandit, we looked to the others, each held crude swords and jabbered madly.  We charged forward together, our axes rose high as we collided into the others.  Both Nethu and I hacked upon the bandits.  The Kobold under me snarled and pushed off.  Knocking me to the floor for a moment, but it was not enough to save him. Nethu came quickly to my side and hacked deeply at the beasts side.=
The Kobold clutched at his body and fell over.  I breathed out thinking the worse was over… Looking up, I knew I was wrong.. I watched in what felt like slow motion as a bandit with a spear appear as if from nowhere.  Nethu saw the look in my face and began to turn around but it was already too late… The spear was thrust forward into her shoulder…

Nethu gave a piercing cry as the Kobold moved quickly; I felt myself pushed to the hard ground and was dazed. My companion in mortal danger I tried desperate to pick myself up.  I looked up to a horrific sight.
The Bandit had brought the spear down hard upon Nethus Head! I cried out and charged.  The distance between my friend and myself seemed forever as before my very eyes, Nethu bled out upon the snow.  I was not about to let her die so horribly.  I looked at the Kobold, still holding its spear and struck into it with all my fury.
I struck hard, biting into the bandit’s leg as we both tumbled to the ground.
The Kolbold knocked at my axe trying to deflect my blows, but I brought my shield down hard upon its arms instead.
The beast seemed stunned and I struck again and again till it collapsed, it’s spear and shield falling from it’s grip.
At that moment as I looked up, Nethu breathed her last…

All around me were the dead as I clutched at the fallen humans body.
 I debated bringing her body back as well for proper remembrance, but I could not be so encumbered.  Regrettably, I lit some fires, making the ground soft enough to bury the brave Warrior. Around her body I dug the weapons’ of the slain around her, trophies to her final deeds in this world.
I did take one treasure with me, a Silver sword that seemed far to fine to leave with the filth of the dead bandits.

Hefting up the body of Uggi once more, I set off, my mind ablaze with anger and rage.

No less then a few hours out from the camp, it seemed the cruel fates tested me once more.  I heard a cry from above a snow-covered hill…

GOBLINS

No mere jabbering kobols, these were battled hardened warriors in their own right.
There were only three of them,  two held ugly black maces while the third I saw raising a Crossbow at me. I moved quickly, my body fuelled by rage over the still fresh death of my Friend.  I lashed out at the closest goblin as their leader tried to come at me as well.

then suddenly I felt my mind grow sharp, the rage reached some sort of crashing height as a new energy welled up inside me! I felt myself go into some sort of Trance. The next few moments seemed a blur, I had only a brief memory of what happened.  Yet when it was over, all three laid dead before me…

I sat down in the snow, exhausted as the strange energy left me.  Taking stock of the dead, I looked for anything of use.  Coming to the body of the leader I gasped…

His every article of clothing seemed to gleam with gems and decorations.  His clothing encrusted with what seemed the wealth of perhaps all others he had stolen from or killed.  The cloths were worth more then all my possessions put together as I lifted a pair of glittering trousers:

Here was the clothing for a true Warrior I felt!
Ignoring the chill of the snow, I cast off the bloodied and torn clothing I had and donned these treasures.  I cleaned the stink of goblin from them as best I could before making a small campfire and sleeping for the night.

The next two days seemed uneventful as I made my way back to the Fortress of the Humans.  I would have both joyous and sad news for them as I came at least to their stronghold.  I met with a Pikeman, whom I told of the loss of Nethu in battle, before telling him of the death of both the bandits and the goblins.

Soon he lead me up to the office of the Law giver whom heard my tale as well… As I finished, I made ready to leave, but both blocked my path.  The Law giver seemed pale for a moment, and I could tell there was something else… I asked him quietly, what there was he needed…

I suddenly grew pale as well… A horror from the depths… a Giant Cave Spider.
Armok protect me…

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 27, 2012, 04:46:47 pm »

Oh, jolly good. But how? Now I just have to know it.

If you ever manage to reach the Bronze Towers region, beat something to death with my corpse, so I'll be mentioned in the engravings as a murder weapon.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 120