Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541110 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #555 on: June 28, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »

I'm likin' your updates, Crossroads!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: June 29, 2012, 05:13:53 am »

Actually going ot repost it cause Im tired of it being the last post on da page :P
==================================

So… If I was to truly prove myself to these Humans I was to kill a foul beast of the Underworld?  I shivered at the thought, yet I would not shrink from my task.
But I would not also go alone; I scoured the fort and found only a lone Pikemen who agreed to come with me.  Dosheb Apugnnebo joined what seemed like a fools errand.  I hoped his first adventure with me would not be his last.

We tracked west toward the beast’s lair.  The trip seemed uneventful, and then tension mounting more and more as we approached.  Dosheb kill a few echidnas along the way, which we butchered for their meat.  By morning we had reached a large pit in the ground. Fearful, we looked at one another before heading down inside.

The stench was indescribable, each of us gagged and did our best not to wretch.  Already we could hear the beast moving toward it, sensing our presence.  My heart pounded as the Giant Spider loomed before us.

I beheld the visage of terror as it hissed and shrieked, charging forward toward us.  Dosheb held his pike up and cried out as it impacted into the beasts hide.  A great squelching sound filled my ears as the Spider turned its fury upon the human, His spear deep in its Side.  I lunged forward, bringing both Axe and Sword down upon its legs.  Yet the attacks glanced away on the foul beasts hard chitin.

Suddenly Dosheb was hurled back, his Pike pulled form the beast as it charged once more.  There was a horrific scream of terror from my companion as I beheld the site of his head in the beast’s jaws!!!
Webbing filled the cave and I struggled for what seemed like an eternity to free myself before once more bringing by Sword down upon it’s limbs.  This time my attacks rang true as it’s leg was hacked clean and hurled away.

The beast seemed little phased by this, all it’;s malice and hate upon my companion as it shook him all the more. I was desperate now to save his life and struck at he beast’s head directly. My sword plunged deep into it’s foul jaws, trying to pry them apart.  It shrieked and dropped Dosheb as I plunged up again.  This time I felt my sword pierce up into the brain itself.  It’s body tensed for a moment and lay still.

The deed was done…  The beast lay dead…

Turning to my fallen companion I looked in horror at the wounds to his face, blood was everywhere and I feared his life was not long for this world.

I held him in my arms, and there amid the filth and stink of the cave, I passed out into sleep.

Morning came and to my shock I found the Human still alive.  The beast’s own webbing seemed to have saved his life, bandaged around his wounded head.  His wounds had clouted during the night and together we rose helping one another stand.
I looked down and picked up the beast’s hewn leg:

True proof of our dead… Together we headed back, the only incident along the way, a pack of stray dingos that we slew together.  The whole time Dosheb said barely a word to me, a strange distant far away look in his eyes….

We approached the fort and were hailed as heros full and true.  The Human Lawgiver looked pale as we showed her the beasts hewn leg.  She bid us take it away quickly needing no further proof…

We left, my task completed, I felt the time had come to embark upon my True quest.  I told Dosheb of my task.  That it would take me to the edge of the world across lands few if any have travelled.  He gave me a strange look, saying only that he would follow where his Pike led him.  I puzzled at his words but did not question them.

We embarked the next day and quickly made a dangerous but needed choice.  To reach my goal, I would have to pass a great inland sea.  To track around it would take months and I feared I would not have such time.

With the grip of winter still hard upon the land, we set off upon a frozen Sea.  Knowing at any moment death could greet us should the Ice break. 

The trip was freezing cold and taxed us both.  Dosheb kept us fed killing stray crabs that seemed stranded upon the seas surface.  At night we risked making a small fire upon the ice.  We needed water and melted what we could; putting the fire out as quick as we could should it risking breaking up the ice.

It was another before day before the endless blue wastes finally gave way to land, We both cheered as we stepped upon firm ground.

Ice and cold was still deep upon the land, a new land for us both.  We had truly left behind our old world and all that we knew as our journey was just beginning.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: June 29, 2012, 02:10:18 pm »

New piece of art!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also, I have several engravings depicting Bronze Colossus Bunsothamug The God-Forsaken Frog either settling in Bronze Towers or murdering dwarves in Silverysects.

On an unrelated note, there are freaking tons of limonite. More than microcline, in fact.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 29, 2012, 02:44:17 pm »

Interesting.
I wonder if Melkor "really" settles as a migrant if there will be a "Melkor settled in silversects on 10, and also on 12" :P

Also...

Apparently our spot gets attacked by a Bronze Colossus on a regular basis? Any way of finding our where his lair is?

Also also... Almost half way there!!!
I'll have another update tonight!!!

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 29, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »

I also get a lot of Roc engravings (and statues), mainly settling and slaughtering dwarves. It's called Fecai Bristlestream the Decisive Vigor. Truly interesting mountain range to live in.

Still no coal, though.

EDIT: Also, two traders showed up in my immigration wave, but don't do anything but loiter around map edge, showing up as 'Friendly'.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 03:17:40 pm by SanDiego »
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 29, 2012, 07:12:14 pm »

Interesting.
I wonder if Melkor "really" settles as a migrant if there will be a "Melkor settled in silversects on 10, and also on 12" :P
Isn't Silversects the area?  If so, I would think that you'd get that he settled Silversects in 10, then settled in <fortress name> in 11 or 12, or whenever he arrives at the "real" fortress we start.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 29, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »

We hiked inland for a day before coming to an immense forest. It seemed to stretch out in all directions.  The snow was still thick and the air still chilled to the bone.  We decided to make camp for the night, once more using melted snow water to keep us sustained.  We had plenty of chilled crabmeat as well for at least the next few days.

After thawing the ground a bit, we camped and made to sleep for the night.

The new land and woods did not seem to wish to give us a pleasant welcome. No sooner had we both gone to sleep then we felt the rush of jaws and claws upon us! WOLVES!
They seemed to appear from the snow itself, rising up and charging at us! Dosheb was the first to be attacked; a wolf bit down hard upon his arm and latched on firmly! Dosheb reacted quickly bringing his
Pike up into the wolfs paw.

As Desheb grappled for his life, I struck at the Wolf coming at me. We charged together, my body slamming the wolf to the ground as I lashed out wildly with my sword.  I caught only a glancing blow as watched as the beast ose sailed off.  It leapt back, howling in pain as I turned against another.  Again my sword cam down in the beasts under belly, pushing deep into its guts as Dosheb did the same to the wolf he was locked in battle with.

Within moments, the three laid dead before us, the snow deep with blood. Both there’s and ours... I faired well and Dosheb seemed to have only slight wounds to his arms and legs.  The two of us were exhausted and had slept little. We spent that night sleeping in turns, neither of us trusting the woods

By dawn we saw how thick the forest truly was.  We could scarcely see in front of us and could make little of the lands around us.  Our only guide was the on the declaration that I had been given so long ago.  It spoke of a human fort far to the west that we could find refuge and sanctuary at.
We made our way as best we could. All the time I worried of Dosheb, he seemed to sleep less and less, and looked fitful during the day.  He would never leave his Pike even at night, and seemed to grip it as though his life depended on it.

I did not speak of this, wishing only to make it out of the darkened woods.

We walked for another full day, always on guard from attack.  We knew for some time we were being tracked, something was following us.  Dosheb looked as though he were ill, sweating and exhausted.  I made to make camp to rest by, and it was then we were set upon!

GOBLINS!

Three of the green beasts jumped into the clearing. One with an evil looking mace, a long Spear, and the third wielded a monstrous Axe in both hands!
We went back-to-back immediately, out numbered and out armed!
I leapt first, charging at the goblin Mace holder.  The small beast moved quickly, the two of us dodged each other blows as we struck again and again.  I soon found myself against the Spear of another.  Again they dodged over and over as if trying to tire us both!
Finally my sword made contact and cut deeply into the goblins leg. The goblin criwd out as I hacked at it again, it’s leg flying off as it fell to the ground.  It snarled and I left it quickly behind to face the Mace wielding goblin behind me….

Behind me however the spear-wielding goblin was far from out of the fight. As I swung wildly to attack the mace goblin, the spear goblin lunged at Dosheb! Driving its cruel spear deep into my companion’s hand! I could do nothing to save him as I grappled for my life, finally striking the Mace goblin in the arm and knocking him back!

The strike cleaved the goblins arm clean off, and yet… One goblin had no leg, another had no arm and yet  Still they came at me!
Back and forth I hacked at both of them, again and again till they lay still.

For a moment I thought the night was won, and then, I realized we had but been fighting only TWO of the goblins.  It was too late that I remembered the giant Axe wielding goblin.  Already he was upon Dosheb, intent on ending his life once and for all.  My companion tried to strike by his the weight of the Axe was too much!
I watched for a moment as Doshebs own spear dropped from his grip, the Human weak and bloodied, he watched, his mind twisting as his spear, his center fell away into the night.  I could do nothing to retrieve it as the Axe goblin lay into him, twisting the wicked thing into Doshebs arm, as if mocking his agony!

I gathered myself up and then… And then the world went red…

I do not know what happened next, other then to awaken some time later.  The goblins were all dead around me.  The massive silver Axe lay broken in two at my side, splitting the head of the goblin that once wielded it.

At my feet lay Dosheb, breathing ragged, his arm was broken and bleed rapidly, his face and legs all were torn open.  His bronze chest piece was cleaved almost in two, just keeping his guts from spilling out…  I looked at him as he looked up, his mind seemed gone from his body, and I contemplated ending his pain and letting him depart.. But, NO! No I would not let him go, He clung to life even now.  I looked at the corpse of Uggi who I already carried so far.  I carried his corpse to our goal, I would not carry another with me.

For the next three nights I made camp at that spot, The bodies and corpses of the goblins around us always. I  felt at any moment we would be attacked again, yet we seemed to be left alone.  Perhaps the goblins would not face such a foe again…
For those three days Dosheb said not a word to me, his eyes seemed distant and dead.  Only once did I hear him mutter “Lost, my Pike, lost to me” but it was all but a whisper…

On the dawn of the third day, I helped him up as his resolve to live seemed to grow day by day.  Toegther we hiked to the edge of the woods.  The endless forest ended at last, and far, far in the distance I beheld Salvation!

A city at LAST!!!

((NOTE)) I have had companions die at the drop of a hat, But Dosheb seems made of pure Bad-Assium!  Most of his body was yellow, and his arms and legs red.  I honestly didn't think he would ever stand again. I was going to rest for 5 days, and if he didn't heal would leave him behind.  But by Day three he was back on his legs and following me... I tried to find his spear to carry with us, but it seemed totally gone. Either way it;s twice he SHOULD have died, but has lived, the guy is a monster
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:02:11 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 29, 2012, 09:16:18 pm »

If he dies, it will be like this
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 29, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »

So, do your companions ever upgrade their weapons?  The wiki says you can't give them anything, but it would be nice if they occasional picked something new up.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:58 pm »

So, do your companions ever upgrade their weapons?  The wiki says you can't give them anything, but it would be nice if they occasional picked something new up.

Waiting/sleeping near animal corpses MAY make them butcher and make jewelry and decorate weapons/armor.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 29, 2012, 10:13:21 pm »

You can use DF-hack to temporarily control them, and I would not consider this cheating.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 29, 2012, 10:39:16 pm »

NOT considered cheating?
Huh shame won't be able to really use that.  At this point I am in the home stretch to Silverysects.
Stoping every day at a river by the by is a life saver in the deserts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 29, 2012, 10:40:28 pm »

And if there is a pool of blood around a corpse, I believe you can fill your waterskin with it.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:07 pm »

Wait a second. Since when did you start using a silver short sword with no swordsman skill at all over a Steel Battleaxe with at least profficiency in them?
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 30, 2012, 12:24:34 am »

Well, apparently embarking on top of an existing mountainhomes causes a bit of a mess. I've had my first deaths and they are all linked to Silverysects instead of my test fortress Earthstrikes. Stuff that are correctly linked: migrants, caravans, profession changes, artifacts and masterful crafts/roasts.

Details from Silverysects:

And my test fortress Earthstrikes, only migrants and masterful crafts listed here:

So, it might be a bad idea to embark there after all.

Oh yeah, I've let Nish to do some stone crafts, hoping that somehow his adventures would end up in figurines, but that's not happening. He is obsessed about blood gnats, insects he hates. The rest of the stuff pictured in the crafts are the usual kings, queens, generals, megabeasts, founding of mountainhomes etc. And of course Nish's and Rogon's mountain climbing. I've also checked out all the decorated items from caravans, but they have only basic images of circles and stuff like that.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 120