Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541208 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #585 on: July 01, 2012, 06:06:17 am »

*TAP TAP*
Ok guys!
I MADE IT!

Orky is at the mountain home!
I was going to wait till I finished posting the rest of his adventure... But time is ticking by.. So I am going to just upload it now, and send it to Reudh for his second try.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 01, 2012, 06:15:15 am »

Aww yeah! I can't wait! This is gonna be awesome!

I hope a dingo doesn't eat me. Again. D:

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 01, 2012, 07:19:52 am »

My advice from experiance...

Get a companion asap! Pike or Spear is best, short distance comapanions like Axe, Mace or Swords all seem to die horribly as they will rush into the middle of badguys before you.

Also, we joked about this earlier but it works!
Spend a few (game) days JUST SNEAKING.  Walking around under sneak mode around and around.  Boring? Yes... But it is invaulable later on.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:04 am »

Alright! I've got it working. Probably going to play tomorrow, I'm pretty exhausted and it's late at night.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 01, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

Hoorah! I've been trainin' and trainin' adventure mode especially.

I'm thinking "Above Average Social Awareness", because that usually lets me recruit anyone right off the bat. High or Superior endurance, and Above average strength.

I'm going to avoid putting points in Fighter, because that trains on the fly pretty effectively. Swimmer (at least Competent), Dodger, Shield user and Armor user. Sound like a plan?

I'd put some points into Observer myself. It'll raise as you fight, but avoiding ambushes is key to survival.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 01, 2012, 12:48:29 pm »

Also, we joked about this earlier but it works!
Spend a few (game) days JUST SNEAKING.  Walking around under sneak mode around and around.  Boring? Yes... But it is invaulable later on.
I was doing some testing just now, and you gain one experience point in Ambusher per tile moved while sneaking.  It doesn't really take long at all to reach novice (500 xp).  1100 tiles of movement to reach Adequate Ambusher from zero.  If you are travelling, it should definitely be pretty trivial to power Ambusher up at the same time.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 01, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »

Worked for Deebus; I just didn't use fast travel, instead sneaking over vast tracts of countryside. Also, your companions might wander off more this way, but if you don't fast travel you don't get ambushed. Get your sneak up to a decent level, go fight some wildlife, raise observer, and then fast travel. You'll have to eventually, as the distance is just huge.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 01, 2012, 02:30:50 pm »

Still at work so I cannot post the next section yet...
However, I did think of a way other can help the project.

Right now we have people helping out by "Beta Testing' the spot we will eventually build the Fort..
Well as the time approches, I was thinking of starting a new thread for the fort, and starting it by having a ful list of the adventures of all those who tried to make it.

Basically, For those that want to.. Go back and Quote JUST the posts by those in adventure mode. Once it is cleaned up we can have someones Whole wuest reduced to a single spolilerized spot on Page one of what will be the new thread. Message me if interested,

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 01, 2012, 05:10:35 pm »

A town at last!
We have finally reached the end of the dark forest and have come upon a Human settlement.  The rest of the trip Dosheb walked as if in a trance, not speaking to me.  I am still amazed he survived his wounds, but fate seems to have plans for him.  Coming upon the town itself, we find first a large Temple at its edge.  I spend some time investigating it's carvings and find one stands out among the others...

I ponder its meaning.. Founded in Year "One" what could that mean? How could time start like this? Surely we have been on this world for centuries.  It says it is year 11, yet I am 60years old at least...  I do not tax myself with things for too long. My companion and I are both in need of rest and food.

I trade what trophies we have collected in exchange for rooms and fresh food.  It seems like forever since we have feasted on another but dried gamey meat and uncooked plants.

Dosheb eats slowly as I feast on roast pig. Again his mind seems no fully there, yet he follows me still, he is faithful and I owe him my life.

In the morning we find ourselves back in the market, and I find myself in need of proving myself to these Humans.  The previous night I visited the Lady whom rules this town.  She seemed not impressed by my tales, or simply not to believe them.  I find now I have to prove myself all over again.  Speaking to a simple farmer, I am giving a task much like the one that I remember from so long ago...

While speaking to him, I ask about the lands around us and he speaks of another outlaw named Snodub. The name means little to me until he speaks of who the goblin is an outlaw.  He says he killed another Dwarf named Phones Starchampion.
I look up suddenly, we have been wondering for months it seems, and not even seen another Dwarf Now I hear there was one murdered near this town? I wonder for a brief moment... Could it be...

But no, for now we must do the task before us.  We need the good will of this town if we are to take on any more help in our quest.  I, trust Dosheb as a friend, but I fear I can no longer trust him in battle.  We must find more help.

We set off the next day into the wilds.  We have been told the bandit camp is not far from us.  The air is clear and I notice day by day it grows warmer as winter thaws around us. 
Late in the afternoon we come upon some game.  Our bags are full of provisions and I feel no need to hunt.  Yet, something inside Dosheb seems to snap.  He races out of view, moving quicker then I can imagine.  In moments I see him attack a Kangaroo with his bare hands, pummeling the large creature.
The creature tries to kick out, but cannot land a blow, Dosheb seems as though possessed!
I watch in horror as his huge hands grip the beast throat and squeeze!

Over and over he crushes the beasts windpipe, yet it seems not to pass.  His eyes water as he froths as he seems intent on murder.  Eventually I notice he passes out, exhausted from some inner madness.  I step in finally with my Axe and put in end to it...

By the time Dosheb regains consciousness, he seems to have regained enough of his sanity to continue.  The camp is almost upon us, and I hope he shall stay with me enough to fend off these thieves...

We step out into a clearing, surprising the bandits and giving us the drop on them. I made a quick count of my foes, Two with Pikes, one with a sword, one with a Hammer and one with a Crossbow.  They all seemed to be caught off guard and staring at us, perhaps all the plundering had dulled their sense of battle.

I charged to the first Pikeman who tried to block my Silver Sword.  It's blade cut deep into his hand holding the Pike and he screamed out. I brought my other hand up holding the axe into his leg and dug in deep.  Blood poured out as from behind Dosheb, once again a mad look in his eyes... Punched deep into the Humans chest, his face making a loud cracking of bone as I could see ribs sniping apart. 

The Pikeman slumped and fell dead before us.  Coins fell from his pockets.  I snatched them up quickly, the glint of gold speaking to me deeply...
I turned around just in time to block the sword of another Human.  The death of their comrade seeming to finally get them roused. 
I pushed up and then with a mighty roar brought my Axe arm around to the human’s side.  There was a scream and the body slumped down, cloven in two!

The other Pikemen came at me then, I could see by his clothing he must be the Ringleader... He seemed fat and already breathed heavily. I came down upon him in a fury, my axe, already dripping blood, caught his arm and split the bone. The arm flew away and the Human clutched at the bloodied stump.  My axe continued on it's trip cutting into his side before coming down on his legs.  That too split and fell away.  The human falling to the floor gurgerling and spluttering.

I turned and cought the one with the Crossbow now... He seemed too stunned even to fire at me and isntead tried to just hit me with the weapon. Dosheb struck at him from behind, his mad hands pummeling the hapless Human as once more my Axe swung around.  This time cleaving the head right off. 
By the time it fell the Human was dead.  I turned back to the self proclaimed "Overlord" of these bandits.. His bloody body trying to crawl away with just one arm and leg...

I saw Dosheb walk over to him, a clam look on his face before he brought his fist down hard and ended the Human once and for all.

I turned now to the final Human, his War hammer shaking in his hands. I almost felt pity for him as I easily struck him down. his skills not worth mentioning...

With the Bandits gone, I took what I wished from them.  Mostly gold coins, which would serve me well back at the town.

The trip back was uneventful and quick.  We stopped only once at a river to wash the blood from us as best we could before returning to town... The Human Leader of the town seemed far more recptive to me now as I informed her of the bandit’s deaths.

Having finished our task at last, we left the Keep, eager to seek aid in one of the Human warriors, hoping they would join us.
Exiting, a Farmer came up to us.  The one I had spoke to earlier, he seemed worried as he spoke to me, I asked what was happening...
It seemed there was a simple thief and outcast who had finally overstayed his welcome.  He had killed someone and was now on the run from the guards.  Asking more it seemed he had last been sighted in one of the nearby stores.
I left quickly the name of this outlaw struck a memory...

It was the same name as the outlaw who struck down a Dwarf... A Dwarf who may have been on the same journey as I was!

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 01, 2012, 05:36:51 pm »

Fantastic storytelling.  My socks to you, sir!
At last, she is done.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 02, 2012, 06:33:27 am »

LOL Thanks for that matie :) I accept your socks with honor, hope to have the last part posted tonight :)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 02, 2012, 01:28:52 pm »

Socks are, after all, the greatest gift a dwarf can give.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 02, 2012, 06:54:40 pm »

SO...
It would seem we had been tasked to find an outlaw who may have struck down one who came before us? Just as our un met companion Uggi had been.  This was a task we would finish with glee.
While I had been intent on seeking another human warrior and departing, such actions could wait.  A Dwarf had to be avenged!

We had been told the outlaw still dwelt within the town walls.
We searched several abandoned stores he had been sighted at, and even ventured down into the catacombs beneath the temple.  We came upon a few ill trained and un worthy bandits that we struck down.  But no sign of Snodub.

After almost a day of searching I began to doubt things.  Everyone I spoke to said he was within the town, yet no where could we find him... I would never shrink from a fight, but how could I fight if I could not find our target? 
Eventually, and with a heavy heart we returned to the Farmer, prepared to admit defeat.  Yet it seemed not to be. Upon seeing us we were embraced!

He seemed overjoyed that "We" had killed Snodub!
I looked around for a moment. Dosheb was of no help in pondering this strange matter and so I again spoek to the Farmer.
'Whom has told you this news? That we slain the outlaw?"

He instructed us to a local guard who had told him, a female Human not far from us.  Determined to get to the bottom of this mystery, we came upon a small house and entered. Inside the first thing that caught my eye was a Large Silver spear, still stained with the blood of a goblin!

The home we were in was small and I could see a Human and some children around, I asked who the owner of the spear was and to my surprise the Woman raised her hand.  She said her name was Dag Muthisimo and that it was indeed she who slew the outlaw...
the kills of dag

She told us she did not wish to take credit for such a task, and had told the guards we had done the deed.  I think for a moment and ask if the goblin outlaw had anything "Strange' on his person.  Dag seemed as if expecting the question and handed us a Dwarfish scroll.  It was indeed the Same Scroll That both I, and my fallen companion Uggi had been given.

Surely this was no accident; fate had put her into our lives.  And, a Sear, that she wielded a Spear, the same as Dosheb had once held.  Already I could seem him staring at it, like a lost friend.  His eyes already seemed calmer.
I spoke to Dag, I knew I would ask much, but I felt Fate had picked her to join with us.!

I was overjoyed when she agreed. She grabbed her spear, said her farewell to family, and soon we made ready.

Now we made ready for the final leg of our trip.  Many I spoke to know of no other settlements between here and the Mountain Home we sought.  Meat we could get from the wild, but other sustenance we might not see again.
The gold I had taken from the bandits indeed served us well; we purchased a large amount of fresh fruit and other items to nourish us.  More indeed then we could carry.

It was then I did something I felt I should have done from our start... We were ot the first to travel this way, and would surely not be the last.  Others would follow us.  I took would supplies I could and gave them to Dag's family with instruction that should any Dwarf follow us; they were welcome to the food.  I also left a message saying that somewhere here, was the body of Phones Starchampion and like the corpse of Uggi, that they too should be taken to the home...

We set off the next day for what would be our final Journey. From this point on, as far as we knew, there would be no more towns, no more people, no one until we reached the mountain home.
We hiked for about a day.  Dosheb seemed to calm as he walked side by side with Dag. Weather it was by being next to a Human, or next to a Spear again I could not say.
heading out into wilderness

Another day passed, Dosheb and Dag hunted together game. Often they would vanish from my sight all together, but always they returned and seemed in good spirits.
By the end of the second day, we came over a small crest of hills and before us lay Mountains. REAL Mountains!
I felt a stirring in my heart, as though I was indeed coming home!

We passed along the foot of the mountains; streams and rivers flowed from the base.  The farther we went down the hotter it became as well.  Not just from winter going into spring, but the very lands grew hot. Even at night the air was still warm, rivers no longer froze and often we had to hike up high into the mountains to find a place where we could cross around them.

During one such trip along a river, we came to a field that had a strange bluish hue to it.  The trees were strange as well and looked like great white Feathers.

Dag said she had hold stories of such places, that Elves and Unicorns sometimes inhabited such lands.  I Looked fearful at this news, clutching my Sword tightly.  Dag seemed confused that I would be fearful of such things.  Truly Humans have much to learn...

We made our way to a large Cave where we made camp for the night

I awoke in the middle of the night to a horrible sight!
Cyclops had also made it's home in the cave and was upon us!!!
At first I was not sure of what I saw, for it seemed as though Dag and Dosheb had already been fighting.  They seemed not to be wearing much of their clothing and Dosheb was holding his Loincloth!
I made a quick attack at the beast with my Axe that just cut a glancing blow upon the beast.  It turned and charged at me knocking me down! As I did so, Dosheb once more seemed to enter into some sort of Madness!
Both he and Dag had been interrupted by the Cyclopes and it had grieved him deeply!

Moving quicker then I could see he attacked the one eyed beast, punching it with his aged Loincloth over and over!
Every time I tried to get in closer I was knocked away between the two Humans who attacked over and over!

Suddenly there was a crack and the beast lay still, yet not dead.  Unconscious it fell before us, and I would not give it the chance of attacking us again!!!
The three of us now all attacked it, hoping to delve a fatal blow to it's head!
Spear, Battle Axe, and (apparently) Loincloths where all hammered over and over into the beasts Skull!

AT least it seemed death had claimed it and it moved no more.
I looked at the nearly naked Humans, curious of what they had been doing before the attack.  Dag seemed not to look me in the eyes, but hurriedly put her clothing back on.  Dosheb, perhaps still lost in his Madness, did nothing, remaining all but nude.  It was not until morning that he had clothed himself again... Save for his loin cloth which he held as though it were a newly forged spear...

We hiked out from the valley along a river to drink and wash off.  The heat was growing intense now and it beat down upon us like a Hammer. We found ourselves having to stop more and more to drink, and we decided to simply follow the river for as long as it took us, lest we wonder away and run out of water in the heat.

Two more days passed, the time spent killing beasts and snakes for meat.  The provisions we had taken with us and been either consumed or rotted and we had nothing left to consume but game.

Another few days passed, our movement becoming slower as the land grew hot.  Ever we followed the river until... Until one day...
The river we had followed fell over a cliff and down below we could see Dwarves.

There was no Mountain Home, No great city... No food no place to rest.
Only you two, who I have told my story too"

The Dwarves Melkor and Nish both looked up from the camp fire and nodded.
"So it was with us, nothing to find, as if we are expected to build the city ourselves" Nish spoke as he poked at the fire. Melkor spoke up next.
"And what of the Humans? I did not see them after the first day."
"I spoke to them last night. After so long with me, it woudl seem once I reached my goal they departed.  I hope Deshob may find peace, and that Dag may find her way back to her family. Both were mighty Warriors worthy of song!"
The other two Dwarves nodded in agreement, behind them laid the small makeshift shrine of the bodies of the fallen.  Nish looked at it and stood up.
"And what of now? You have joined us here, but will there be more?"
Orky looked down at the scrolls in his hands, the one that started him on his quest.
"There will be, We can only wait for them..."

=================================================
And THUS does the saga come to the end!
A few notes on the quest!
*As far as I know, I had NO hand in killing Snodub, who killed Phones. I actually think I saw "Snodub" on the way into town, cause I only remember seeing ONE goblin above ground.  The only thing I can think of, is by starting the quest he suddenly became "Hostile" and The human gaurd was just next him and struck him down before us.

*I looked around for Phones body, but did not find it,  I hope that perhaps someone else may pick it up. Maybe Phones has a better location on it.

*For future travelers, anyone passing through, do a quick search and you'll find (hopefully) piles of berries food and other items to use in an abandoned house.  Also there’s a lot of gear below the Temple from people we killed, if you are brave enough to look around.

*On the Cyclopes attack... I Have NO IDEA how Deshob came to be holding a Loin Cloth, I am not sure if it was his or not... But he killed a LOT of people with it!

Also FINAL COUNTS for Dosheb and Orky:

Final Kills for Orky
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Final Kills for Dosheb
How we shape up in History in our civilization.

A final note.
At the very end of things, Dosheb turned out to be so much of a Bad Ass, that he became a Hero to the "Watchful Rags" themselves. The only Human to do so thus far!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 02, 2012, 08:20:12 pm »

I do believe "epic" is the correct term for this. :D

So, who's next?  Can't wait to see more of (and participate in) this wonderful game.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 02, 2012, 08:47:09 pm »

I'm doing another embark test, this time I named the fort Silverysects. The two hard-coded migrant waves were again uninteresting, no historical figures in either one. But then the spring migrant wave brought both Nish and Orky, along with a few other historical figures and three merchants from last autumn's caravan.

Detailed stats from Dwarf Therapist:

Nish's stats and thoughts are the same as they were in my first test fortress, except the things he likes/dislikes (the bright green text in the thoughts page). Looks like the adventurer Nish didn't have them and they're randomly created when he appears as a migrant in fortress mode. Same goes with the items he's wearing, they're slightly different. He seems to be wearing some crafts made from wildlife creatures he has killed while adventuring. First time he had a kea nail bracelet, now it's anaconda tooth bracelet. Also, the fancy fur clothes Orky stole from a dead goblin are gone.

About Dosheb... There are five instances of him in legends mode. Ubiq saw two clones of Dosheb, one of which stole a kill of a cyclops from him. Both drowned in a river. One instance of Dosheb was Melkor's companion. And now he helped Orky. This is getting a bit spooky :o (actually it's probably bug 5106)

Also, two traders showed up in my immigration wave, but don't do anything but loiter around map edge, showing up as 'Friendly'.

The merchant migrants will get stuck at the map edge (bug 5098), you have to use DFHack's "tweak fixmigrant" command to unstuck them.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 120