Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539213 times)

lorb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #615 on: July 03, 2012, 12:12:09 pm »

Adventures can't 'C'onstruct either ...
Please be gracious in judging my english. (I am not a native speaker/writer.)
"This tile is supported by that wall."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 03, 2012, 12:16:25 pm »

About human migrants; if you played as a human adventurer and retired at a dwarf fortress, your human would become a citizen and thus a potential migrant. There is much hard evidence for this. I believe if you use dfhack to take control of your companions, you can force them to retire.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

Dping some beta-testing in the Valley of the Dwarves, to see if these get adventurer migrants there as well (which might solve the silverysects name problem).
So far, summer and no joy.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #618 on: July 03, 2012, 12:44:45 pm »

About human migrants; if you played as a human adventurer and retired at a dwarf fortress, your human would become a citizen and thus a potential migrant. There is much hard evidence for this. I believe if you use dfhack to take control of your companions, you can force them to retire.

Hmmm.... Could we get that grandfathered in :D, I mean they followed the dwarves through everything, maybe they are worthy!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:21 pm »

We'd have to go round them up again. Of course, I think that if you retire and unretire your companions are mysteriously with you suddenly.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #620 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:33 pm »

Well that's cool  to know. It's probably not in the original envisioned plan though, so crossroads would be the final arbiter.  Maybe if a similar fort is done later, it could be done.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 03, 2012, 02:02:36 pm »

The two hard-coded migrant waves were again uninteresting, no historical figures in either one.

Correction here, the autumn wave had one migrant from Cobaltveils, the neighbouring mountain halls.

Well as we know, Adventureres cannot 'Dig' So they would only be able to construct simple huts or hovels.  they won't be able to dig until the fort starts and Pickaxes arrive.

Maybe some small, 2 by 6 sized rooms just to store things. 
They Currently have Axes, so they can cut trees, A spear for hunting and a sword.
SO for the three right now, they would prolly have one or two small huts made of wood.

Maybe you can simulate their digging attempts (for the story) by building wooden shacks on top of the dried up murky pools and pretend that the pools are actually their little basement mines, which they dug out with their axes and spears. I think I've seen some rain coming down, but the murky pools will stay dry.

Or if you really want to roleplay, embark with a pickaxe and a few weapons. Leave the weapons on the surface for our adventurers, since they don't bring them as migrants. Use the first dwarves to dig straight to the first cavern (to get underground trees & plants for them), start an underground base and build nothing on the surface. In the 4x4 embark there are a few hills on the east side of the map (image here), you could hide the entrance in one of the narrow little passageways there.

Then when the first adventurer shows up, burrow him in the surface, let him build a wooden hut and a small farm next to Rogon's body. When the next adventurer shows up, let him build another hut and so on. When they have all arrived, let them discover the hidden mountain hall entrance. Of course this might take a few dwarven years for all of our adventurers to show up as migrants. Meanwhile the underground population would grow and then the goblins would start attacking the surface dwarves. So we might need to play with invaders off until all adventurers have arrived.

Anyway, even without all the roleplaying, it would be easy to build a few wooden shacks on the surface, live with surface plants and wait until the caravan or a migrant brings a pickaxe. There's plenty of plants and wood around. Oh, and there's a stack of prickle berries next to Rogon's body. Reclaim them, brew them and use the seeds to start a big farm. You can even find rope reeds with some time and luck (to get some cloth bags and start the glass industry early).

The only wildlife attacks I've had were from keas that tried to steal some stuff, but they were quickly put down by unarmed militia. Oh, and an occasional attack of a kestrel. I've seen anacondas and crocodiles but they seem to avoid the dwarves. The only problem is water, if somebody gets injured you have to dig down to get some water. I couldn't get my well working, it probably needs a screw pump to clean the water.

I named the new test fort Silverysects but deaths are still linked to the original Silverysects. I might do another test with only partially overlapping the existing fort and see how that goes.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 03, 2012, 02:29:47 pm »

I really like the idea of having the migrant waves being linked to building the fort.
Pretending that each Hero that arrives is coming for the first time and then building thier place together. Then when they arrive they "Discover" the city which has been built seperatly.

It sounds like fun but it would be VERY Complicated... Simply building some makeshift forts on start up would be much more simple.
My other thought was the first 7 dwarves that DO start, we name as the seven that made it, just for story sake... Then each time one of them "REALLY" shows up, we just change the name back to what it was.

Also on embarking, I think embarking on a partal is going to happen since having a River in this is a MUST for the desert heat.
An unlimited source of water on the surface is going to be very VERY needed, especially for some of the ideas I am having for the "City"

Anyone elses thoughts? Comments?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 03, 2012, 02:31:31 pm »

wow.
i missed alot.
now i want to play! when i cant! >:(
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Garky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: July 03, 2012, 05:10:45 pm »

The 7 adventurer dwarves won't join the colony until migrant wave 3+ however, right? I'm sure they'd have dug out their own little residences, biding their time and slaying local horrors until the wagon of colonists arrives. That's just over the next hill though, and they leave their temporary abodes behind to defend their brethren as they carve out a real fortress.

Great thread by the way!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 03, 2012, 07:23:02 pm »

As in sending some time building some simple shelters where the others would have been waiting... Or... Just go right into building the grand city?

Small collection of huts or a hobbit burrow works.

Well, for those who need them, Nish has so many Ambusher levels that he can just hide behind a blade of grass if he needs to take shelter.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 03, 2012, 08:10:54 pm »

And here's finally Melkor, beaten and covered in blood. That's a left hand glove she dropped at the map edge. I guess Toady didn't think about one-armed migrants :p She arrived in the autumn wave of the 2nd year of my test fort.

Details from Dwarf Therapist:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 04, 2012, 07:21:25 am »

A creature awakes... a force possesses it... could it be?

The spirit of Reudh back again?

Oho, it is. It's Reudh, back again!

This time, I will make it to Silverysects! This time! T'ere kin only be one t'ousan!

And what of my personality? My skills? They are not much different.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 04, 2012, 08:01:17 am »

I awake into a town. A proper hustle and bustle town. This looks like a fine place to begin my journey. This is Praisebasin, in the country of the Confederations of Wading.

I begin to look for people to recruit to my cause. I find none, but interestingly enough, I find a person who calls themself the Exalted Oracle.

Bah. Everyone knows only I am the true god, the Avatar of Reudh, Armok's Junior Undersecretary to Platelets.

I know now that I must head southwest. To that effect, I summoned my prior knowledge, courtesy of my previous inhabitant: the Ageless Nightmare of Apes-

My thought is that I avoid the goblin country, on account of its danger to me. Goblins are nasty beings, possibly more disgusting than humans. I am not sure weather I should swim across the ocean; I have heard tell of people being snap frozen, especially in colder climates. If I elect not to swim, I must detour around the southern coast of the sea and travel through the Special Buck, an ELVEN country.

I hate them too. If they are wise, they'll stay out of my way.

You might say I hate everyone, but oh contraire! I do not hate dwarves. I do not hate gnomes. I do not hate the animal men that creep in the caverns.

I only hate the above ground worms that call themselves sentient.
I remember Kes, though. Kes Pessalcone. The only human I ever considered worthy. Ever. He lived and died with me. We were murdered by three giant dingoes. Like dogs, but angrier. Like dogs, but ten feet tall. Like dogs, but with sharper teeth. It was a terrible pity.

Perhaps the humans of this town are the same. I might find one worthy of travelling with me.

Though it takes ages of sifting through their artificial caves, I find a crossbowman. He's the only guard of the town; sitting in the keep, he fiddled with his crossbow. I see something of Kes in him. He tells me his name is Dof Kisnastrozmo, or "Visionbuttered". He claims it is the name of an ancient and powerful family; though all of us remember the Time of Awakening. I scoff, naturally. None of us has existed for more than ten years in Licevathiira.

But, I decide to take Dof with me. I do need a bodyguard to keep the creatures of the night away.

I decide to sneak through the town. The less known about me the better. Dof does not understand why I move so slowly and in such a strange stance, and so he dances about me. Fool.

I check the sky before we begin to walk through the town. The sky is clear- the sun is high in the western sky and a cool breeze plays around my cave spider silk dress.

There are shops everywhere, including a proper butcher's market. I have nothing to trade, unless these foolish humans want rocks or mud I cannot offer anything.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 04, 2012, 08:05:15 am »

Ha. I scraped kilograms of loamy soil off the ground and offered it to a planter in exchange for ten prickleberries. The fool took the soil with an expression of glee and happily handed me the berries.

This pleases me greatly. I think I shall buy some more.

And so I did. I bought 24 prickleberries. This shall keep me sated for the journey ahead, long enough to catch some meat and kill it.
The only problem with beginning life in Praisebasin is that I must cross a river to begin my journey. While I am a passable swimmer, Dof has no skills to speak of. I do not want to die, either.
Some of the apes tell me that the river narrows to the north, between Praisebasins and a hamlet a short distance past it.

I think that it is the right way to go.

And so Dof and I leave Praisebasins to the north, after some consideration. The apes tell me 'Giant hamsters roam freely out there', and to be careful. One ape has the temerity to suggest to Dof that he dissuade me from my foolish pilgrimage, and I nearly lose my temper.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 08:25:04 am by Reudh »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 120