Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539197 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #630 on: July 04, 2012, 08:27:56 am »

Dof and I arrive in Glazedletters, a tiny hovel of a hamlet. A child ape gleefully admits me entry to the lone house, and Dof and I sleep on the dirt floor. I am hungry. Why I am now hungry I do not know- I suppose it is one of the bad things about "becoming flesh".

Tomorrow, a bright new beginning in our journey. I will swim across the river and make for the nearest town or hamlet, before travelling southwest.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 04, 2012, 08:54:47 am »

Dof drowned in the river. Fool. He has none of the fighting spirit Kes had.

I snuck across the land. I killed a tiercel peregrine- hitting it so hard that it flew away from my strike and skidded along the ground; bleeding out. I couldn't butcher it for some reason though.

Sneaking further, I found some cavies near a creek. I cornered one from the rest of the group, and stabbed it in the shin. Some power guided my strike, for not only did I break its leg, it was thrown away from the force of the strike and landed some metres away.

(Seriously, I've gotten two "propelled away by the force of the blow" and I'm only High Strength, with a copper spear.)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: July 04, 2012, 10:03:25 am »

LOL omg Reudh that is seriously some fcked up funny Story telling so far.
And you already got someone killed?

What would Dosheb think!

Also a word to Uggi, So good to finally see Melkor showing up!
How Badass is it shes wearing a Unicorn Hood Crown
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: July 04, 2012, 11:25:39 am »

I saw that as well, about the crown and got a chuckle. :D

Reudh, did you try to go back for Dof's crossbow and bolts? After he drowned?
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 04, 2012, 01:12:50 pm »

A creature awakes... a force possesses it... could it be?

The spirit of Reudh back again?

Oho, it is. It's Reudh, back again!

Dosheb of the Thousand Forms: *snorts* Amateur.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: July 04, 2012, 03:18:50 pm »

BTW, you know those stats you lowered because they have no effect in adventure mode, and used the points to raise other stats? Well, they do have an effect in fortress mode. So sad to say that Reudh II has no empathy, not a great sense of intuition (very important), is not creative, is impatient, has trouble remembering things, has a lot of trouble with words, and isn't that great at thinking (low analytical ability.)

So... just something to think about.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 04, 2012, 04:03:40 pm »

Considering you only gain 1 point for each step you lower something below average, it doesn't seem worth the penalty to gain that one extra step above average it may gain you (depending on how you spent your points).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 04, 2012, 10:12:03 pm »

I don't really mind that he'll be pathetic in fortress mode; I put the points into everything that I feel can help my survival.

Also, here's a nice little tidbit for y'all.

Ooer, I didn't see how poorly i'd edited that. Late at night, y'know? Look how far it went from being punched by some berries.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 04, 2012, 10:22:46 pm »

BTW, you know those stats you lowered because they have no effect in adventure mode, and used the points to raise other stats? Well, they do have an effect in fortress mode. So sad to say that Reudh II has no empathy, not a great sense of intuition (very important), is not creative, is impatient, has trouble remembering things, has a lot of trouble with words, and isn't that great at thinking (low analytical ability.)

So... just something to think about.

Outside of kinesthetic sense, most of the survival skills aren't useful in Fortress Mode besides being a hunter or soldier. Same applies the other way around with only empathy really having much use in Adventure Mode.

Of course, this makes me want to try this challenge with a weak, slow, flimsy dwarf with relatively useless skills like numerous levels of Reader (Novice is all you ever really need in that) and Knapping.

Also: REUDH, BANE OF GUINEA PIGS.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 04, 2012, 10:28:46 pm »

Yes, that's right! Fear me, oh quaking rodents of Licevathiira! Fear me! And you too, Master Armadillo. I will break your shell and so I did!

(Got some nice skills from stabbing over and over and over until i finally severed the shell entirely.)

The night begins to fall. Without Dof I cannot do a thing. So, I do the only sane thing.

I box myself in with fires all around me. And with that, I go to sleep.

I awake to the gargled sounds of a vulture being strangled. "ERK ERK ERK URGK" it screeches before passing out. Pity. One of them managed to kill a bogeyman before it too was strangled to death. So I sit here. I can't go back to sleep, I can't wait. All I must do is count down the minutes to daytime while the bogeymen circle around the fires, unable to come close. I fling my dagger at one, but I miss. There is no clay to fling at them from here either, and I dare not waste any of my other precious substances.

So I must wait, bit by bit.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 10:36:07 pm by Reudh »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 04, 2012, 10:35:43 pm »

Yes, that's right! Fear me, oh quaking rodents of Licevathiira! Fear me! And you too, Master Armadillo. I will break your shell and so I did!

(Got some nice skills from stabbing over and over and over until i finally severed the shell entirely.)

I wish I came across one of them. Could got legendary hammerdwarf to good use...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 04, 2012, 10:43:20 pm »

I saw that as well, about the crown and got a chuckle. :D

Reudh, did you try to go back for Dof's crossbow and bolts? After he drowned?

Long since left him in the dust. I'm beginning to think it might've been smarter to journey via the other human civilisation to the south before heading west-south-west.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 04, 2012, 10:50:15 pm »

Interact with the water in your flask. Dump it on the ground. Fill the waterskin from the puddle. Begin picking up and throwing handfuls of water at boogeymen until they die.

Also, boogeymen running afoul of wildlife never ceases to amuse me. Especially when they plow right into a pack of Giant Dingos or Giant Badgers.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 04, 2012, 10:53:49 pm »

Missmissmissmissmiss -

The spinning water strikes the bogeyman in the upper body, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the middle spine's nervous tissue! The bogeyman falls over!

Brilliant idea, Ubiq!

It's great training, I have gone from dabbling to Skilled in not long at all. One bogeyman dodged right onto the fire and I attacked it, landing myself on the fire. Thankfully I was able to leap back off it, and the bogeyman fled off screen and vanished. No matter how much I injure them, they just disappear and come back healed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 11:14:04 pm by Reudh »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 05, 2012, 12:41:42 am »

Missmissmissmissmiss -

The spinning water strikes the bogeyman in the upper body, bruising the muscle and tearing apart the middle spine's nervous tissue! The bogeyman falls over!

Brilliant idea, Ubiq!

It's great training, I have gone from dabbling to Skilled in not long at all. One bogeyman dodged right onto the fire and I attacked it, landing myself on the fire. Thankfully I was able to leap back off it, and the bogeyman fled off screen and vanished. No matter how much I injure them, they just disappear and come back healed.
You can only encounter a certain amount of bogeymen per night. If they get too injured, they might go out and presumably tag-team with a fresh evil spirit. If you manage to actually kill one before it crawls away, though, a new one doesn't appear. It's kind of a bitch to hit them in the dark, though. If you don't feel it cheap you could always type reveal in dfhack to see where they are.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 120