Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541433 times)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #660 on: July 06, 2012, 08:45:31 am »

**BETA TESTING NEWS** 
ADVENTURERS COME AS MIGRANTS TO THE VALLY OF THE DWARVES!
Melkor arrived in the third migrant wave, spring after 1st caravan, so it would appear location doesn't affect chances of migration. This means it would be possible to embark in the Vally (which I thought was the original idea) and avoid Silverysects naming/ embark anywhere problems. (if you want to)
There's lots of Zinc, Mussels, and tasty Wild Boars.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: July 06, 2012, 08:56:57 am »

Spoiler: The Journey So Far (click to show/hide)

I intend to use the caves as rest points, where possible. :D

All food from this point on must be hunted, as the only markets in the world are in Praisebasin. Necronights led to the caverns, so I daren't go further into it- i merely slept in the mountain there, safe from bogeymen and (semi)safe from the bats.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: July 06, 2012, 09:33:02 am »

no villages?
take there berrys!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: July 06, 2012, 10:36:37 am »

**BETA TESTING NEWS** 
ADVENTURERS COME AS MIGRANTS TO THE VALLY OF THE DWARVES!
Melkor arrived in the third migrant wave, spring after 1st caravan, so it would appear location doesn't affect chances of migration. This means it would be possible to embark in the Vally (which I thought was the original idea) and avoid Silverysects naming/ embark anywhere problems. (if you want to)
There's lots of Zinc, Mussels, and tasty Wild Boars.

OH AWESOME!
That is a good thing to know, which means we can set up forts in other spots.
The main problem was we needed a Mountain home were we could retire in. 
The very first map had one in the 'Valley of the Dwarves' unfortinatly mineral scaricty was horrific and we re-genned the map.
When we did the Fort moved to where Silverysects is.

Now knowing it doesn't matter where you are, we COULD make a fort up there.

Hmmm.. Uggi's body as well as the Body of Nish's Companion are down in Silverysects...
I was hoping to make a shrine or temple on that spot to the fallen.  If we build elsewhere it would kind of change the story..

Shoot wish we knew this earlier...
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 06, 2012, 12:30:18 pm »

[quote author=Crossroads Inc. link=topic=108291.msg3430295#msg3430295 date=

Hmmm.. Uggi's body as well as the Body of Nish's Companion are down in Silverysects...
I was hoping to make a shrine or temple on that spot to the fallen.  If we build elsewhere it would kind of change the story..

Shoot wish we knew this earlier...
[/quote]
If an adventurer picked the bodies up before retiring, would they carry them to the fort?
If so you could get them to migrate with the bodies, and build the temple when they come.
EDIT: oops.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: July 06, 2012, 12:38:11 pm »

Actually me above sea fortress is started in year 3, for the reason that I wanted to write the legends screen filled withy my dwarves. The bad thing is, I can't visit my site as an adventurer with active dwarves, just an abandoned fort or annihilated one. There should be an option to visit your previous fortress with active dwarves (no no need for workshops or anything, just constructions and the dwarves, like in present dwarven cities).
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: July 06, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »

If an adventurer picked the bodies up before retiring, would they carry them to the fort?
If so you could get them to migrate with the bodies, and build the temple when they come.

No, they arrive wearing only some random clothing and some amulets/rings/crowns etc made from animals they've killed or butchered while they were adventurers. All their stuff is gone, including weapons. Nish arrived as a hunter in my test fort, but didn't carry a crossbow.

But since the adventurers are now retired in Silverysects you can unretire and continue playing with them, right? So it would be possible to pick up the corpses, hike to the Valley of Dwarves, drop the corpses on the spot where the future fortress will be (and anything else from your inventory you would want to be saved for fortress mode), and then walk back to Silverysects and retire again.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 06, 2012, 03:50:47 pm »

As uggi says, we could always take an Adventurer out of retirement and have them haul the corpses up to the spot the fort will go on before returning to Silverysects. Recruit a few of the colleagues to avoid Boogeymen and skim around the edge of the mountain range via Quick Travel to make the trip as quickly as possible. To avoid losing somebody to rivers or streams, make an occasional trip up into mountains to cross at brooks and then move on as quickly as possible to avoid idiots running off after wildlife. It could probably be done in about a week of in-game time or less.

Melkor could recruit all of the rest of them most likely, but possible infection setting in is a worry when it comes to adventuring with her or Orky. Nish doesn't have to worry about that though as he only has scars and no injuries beyond that. Plus he actually walked through the Valley of the Dwarves and knows where it is so there's an in-game excuse for doing this.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 06, 2012, 05:04:38 pm »

I kind of like the idea of carrying the yet to be entombed to the Valley, so we can build stuff there.  Technically, we only need to have one retiree make the trip and back to drop off the bodies if we don't need any specific inventory items as well to be present.  This could make things easier overall (e.g., those prone to infection don't need to go anywhere, and can drop stuff for others to haul if needed).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: July 06, 2012, 05:39:04 pm »

Why haul at all? Silverysects is a good site, even if it requires minor hacking. Plus, if it is supposed to be the first great dwarf settlement we're building, moving it somewhere other than the actual site of the mountainhome would be... I dunno.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: July 06, 2012, 06:33:27 pm »

Why haul at all? Silverysects is a good site, even if it requires minor hacking. Plus, if it is supposed to be the first great dwarf settlement we're building, moving it somewhere other than the actual site of the mountainhome would be... I dunno.
Either way works for me. ;)  I was just trying to point out the advantages if we wanted the "real" Mountainhome to be at the originally selected location instead of where Silverysects is currently located.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: July 06, 2012, 09:06:37 pm »

I think I am doing well, in that I have no cripplings or anything yet. Just heavy bruising that heals when I travel. :D

Mind you, I am only a quarter of the way through my journey, so there's plenty of chance for maiming. The travel between the east lair, the elf country and the west lair is going to be the toughest. I hope I don't lose any companions; I think I've exhausted the world's supply. :P

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: July 06, 2012, 09:40:52 pm »

Some of them will glitch and respawn, I wouldn't be too worried. Has anyone seen a pick in any of the keeps so far?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: July 06, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »

On your journey map, I notice a lair or something a couple tiles south of your blue line, about halfway between the last two lairs/caves you plan to stop at.  Any particular reason you are skipping that spot on your journey?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: July 06, 2012, 10:48:12 pm »

On your journey map, I notice a lair or something a couple tiles south of your blue line, about halfway between the last two lairs/caves you plan to stop at.  Any particular reason you are skipping that spot on your journey?
It seems a bit out of the way. Why risk the extra journey length?
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 120