Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539200 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #690 on: July 08, 2012, 06:17:42 pm »

I have had success with fast travelling after leaving the river (and walking far enough away) my companion was drowning at the time. no guarentees it will work
As in -- leave drowning companion so you can fast-travel, and have him catch up instead of die?  Thats cool if it will work consistently.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 08, 2012, 07:58:21 pm »

I have had success with fast travelling after leaving the river (and walking far enough away) my companion was drowning at the time. no guarentees it will work
As in -- leave drowning companion so you can fast-travel, and have him catch up instead of die?  Thats cool if it will work consistently.

I did that to keep the three alive. Of course, that didn't stop their homicidal rampage against The Animals You Don't Piss Off. And one drowned anyway.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 08, 2012, 08:28:07 pm »

Most of the rivers in this world freeze at night so just wait or sleep until a few hours after dark and then walk across.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 08, 2012, 08:40:05 pm »

Most of the rivers in this world freeze at night so just wait or sleep until a few hours after dark and then walk across.

Exactly, that is one of the reasons it took me so many days, because often I would wait at a river for night to cross.  I didn't have to go around rivers untill I was almost at Silverysects, one of the reasons why I never lost my companions.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 08, 2012, 09:34:15 pm »

It's not so much that the rivers of this world freeze: It would seem that the temperature gradient has given the north end freezing weather and the south end equatorial weather. Since most of the human civs seem towards the north, they get colder temperatures.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 08, 2012, 10:08:10 pm »

Praisebasins where I started had Hot weather. I'm sitting in one of the caves and it's also quite hot. Nearly all of the pools I have found are dry entirely.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:53 pm »

I arrive at Harshmines to find it uninhabited. I seal up the deeper parts of the cave using my ancient Kamp Fy-ar magic, and go to sleep. Awaking some time later (I was very tired from a fight with an alligator- it managed to nick my ear, but nothing more), I left Harshmines and started to travel along the shore of the nearby inland sea. I continue some ways down, slaughtering crabs in my path.

I named myself Bane of Guineapigs to keep myself amused after defeating an entire family of cavies by throwing them into the water.

I travel along the shore, purely because it is said the proximity of such water keeps bogeymen at bay... This is interesting.
In fact, to test this, I surrounded myself with campfires and slept the entire night. No cackling was heard! Hah! I can skirt using the southern end of the Ferocious Waters and then make a quick journey to the next stopping point.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:25:49 am by Reudh »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 09, 2012, 12:28:15 am »

Because sunburns are the ultimate weakness of bogeymen, they fear to tread on beaches, even at night.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 09, 2012, 12:54:52 am »

I arrived at the cave lair just north of the elven lands. Nothing appears to be in there. (I slaughtered many crabs and feasted on their brains. BRAINS. BRRRAAINS.)
And nothing was in there.

I leave. Now I am in uncharted lands. Disgustingly GOOD lands. The trees crowd me in and I have almost run out of crab BRAIINNSSS to eat. At least I still have a good supply of prickleberries left. I have actually eaten quite well on this journey. I have feasted on many animals. Would you like to know the culinary delights I prepared for myself?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 09, 2012, 01:27:35 am »

I arrived at the cave lair just north of the elven lands. Nothing appears to be in there. (I slaughtered many crabs and feasted on their brains. BRAINS. BRRRAAINS.)
And nothing was in there.

I leave. Now I am in uncharted lands. Disgustingly GOOD lands. The trees crowd me in and I have almost run out of crab BRAIINNSSS to eat. At least I still have a good supply of prickleberries left. I have actually eaten quite well on this journey. I have feasted on many animals. Would you like to know the culinary delights I prepared for myself?
Good area? Eat the Unicorn BRAIINSSS! Or actually, don't. Unicorns are not good for adventurers to tangle with. Unless you kill it by throwing, or at least make it give into pain so you can finish it safely. Still, should you for whatever reason encounter a dead Unicorn, do not hesitate...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 09, 2012, 03:06:29 am »

I saw some unicorns and mistook them for humans. :(

The unicorn attacks you but the shot is blocked!

Thank goodness for Competent Shield User skill. I ran away from the herd.

Also, I awoke from sleep in the south of the elven lands, surrounded by campfires, to cackling.

Then a GIANT ANACONDA came into screen. It fought all four of the bogeys at once, dying to a lucky kick to the head. The last bogey died of blood loss, and the cackling faded away. Sadly didn't get a screen, but DAMN.

Shortly after that, I walked on, swimming through a river. Then: Hissing and growling. Oh dear lord.

I hurried away as quickly as I could. (Breaching 1100 speed now!).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 03:15:16 am by Reudh »

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 09, 2012, 04:06:27 am »

This has given me an Idea: bogeymen throwing training.
When you start, spend the first day sneaking around town, 'borrowing' berries/ raising ambusher or whatever you want to do. (but don't take companions)
Then pick a house (any house), go in, and ask if you can stay.
Just before nightfall go back to the house, and set yourself up like this:
W- wall.                                      WWDWW
D- door.                                         C@C
C- campfire.                                   CCC
@- you.
Then Sleep.
When the cackling wakes you up, pick up rocks/ clay / soil / whatever and throw at bogeymen.

When you get bored/ sufficiently skilled / the campfires go out or you want to stop,
Go inside and get some sleep.
Continue quest in morning.
Any Thoughts?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 09, 2012, 04:44:08 am »

Easier as Ubiq suggested is dropping water on the ground thus generating an infinite source of water for you to throw.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 09, 2012, 05:08:00 am »

Easier as Ubiq suggested is dropping water on the ground thus generating an infinite source of water for you to throw.

True, but this is easier than it looks and may get you bogeyman kills (as well as keep the numbers down)
EDIT: You can also use the methods together.

++ULTRA MEGA BETA TEST EDIT++

As you will probably know, Melkor arrived at my fort in the VoD.
Well, after I abandoned the fort (it's objective complete) I decided to un retire Melkor to we where he started. (at the site of the abandoned fort, maybe?)
Actually, he started off in a human town (Balanceburn)
With the stuff he came to the fort with (unsurprisingly)
Which is strange. Wouldn't he start at the site of the fort?
Anyway, if we are forced to abandon, perhaps it would be fun for the survivers to make their way back and rebuild.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 06:19:23 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 09, 2012, 05:24:17 am »

Even with Legendary +1 Thrower, I'm only managing to kill Bogeymen with water after about 75 thrown waters. I am sure sharper or denser objects would deal more damage though.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 120