Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 540589 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #765 on: July 22, 2012, 07:27:27 am »

Well including a Dwarf skilled in health care has always been important early on.
This one we just need to specialize a bit more than normal. As far as including him in the story...

Well perhaps by the time the fort is read to start (IE 7 dwarves make it alive)
So many stories of the brave heros have got around that people know many have been seriouslly injured.  So it would make sense that the first ""Imagration wave"" to the fort ((IE the intial fort embark)) would have a skilled surgen among them.

By the by, as far as story goes, I decided that was the best way to explain why the starting Dwarves are different. Basically our intial embark is the ""First Imagration Wave"" Where we bring supplies and plans to the crude camp started by the brave adventurers.

Also..

How goes the training Uggi? Eager to hear an update from you!!!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: July 22, 2012, 11:03:42 pm »

How goes the training Uggi? Eager to hear an update from you!!!

Had a busy weekend, so not much has happened in DF. I can hopefully get into more dwarfy things tomorrow. But I can confirm one can raise some useful skills & attributes safely in a hamlet. You need a river with a bridge, and a rock supply for knapping/throwing. After 5 dwarven days of training I've got a very muscular legendary thrower/swimmer/archer/knapper and an expert ambusher with superdwarven agility/toughness, superior endurance and high strength/willpower/spatial sense/kinesthetic sense.

Swimming is best done manually. Sometimes small amounts of water escape from a 7/7 filled river, making spots of 6/7 water and somehow it makes moving impossible until I've hit the "." key a few times. A macro can fail at this moment, and one might turn around too early and spend double the amount of time drowning. Haven't seen any alligators or other dwarf-eaters in the river. Knapping and throwing is best done with a macro. Yes, the training gets utterly boring after a while. Somehow I still prefer this method instead of starting as a hero or a demigod.

Any idea how to trade a crutch from a marketplace? It's in the trader's list, but he keeps saying I should offer more and more stuff in exchange for it. No matter how much money and items I offer, it's never enough. Also, my masterfully sharpened rocks are worthless.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: July 23, 2012, 12:51:11 am »

Depends on the value of the crutch really; if it's decorated, then it may well be expensive.

If the items you are offering have little value, it will take tons of them. The easiest thing to do is to go out and find a largish animal to brain with a rock, butcher it, and then sell it for cash; an animal with a value multiplier is best. The easiest thing to do here is to ask for the maximum amount each time since the merchant will offer you the actual value of the parts in response.

Offer the merchant one copper piece for the crutch. If you have enough currency, he'll make a counteroffer asking for the exact minimum he will accept for the item. If not, he'll just use the standard line about needing something to trade; if this is the case, then repeat the process until you have enough.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #768 on: July 23, 2012, 04:18:29 am »

If you use Autohotkey, you can avoid using a macro to level up skills.

In my test characters I leveled up throwing, archery, sneaking, swimming and crutch-walking this way. In one of the forts there is a crutch in one of the chests.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: July 24, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »

How goes the (preparation for) the journey so far? :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:18 am »

16th Hematite, 11

I begin my journey in Shakecheerful, a very small human hamlet. My destination, the promised land of dwarves, is somewhere southwest. The journey will be long and dangerous so I'll try to increase my chances by practising Mahayana Uristhism, in common speak the Dwarven Zen, or the Way of Urist. It is based on the teachings of the Great Urist. Some say it's just another form of dwarven insanity. Those fools.

I'll be following a strict physical and mental training program for the next week or so. This training involves swimming in the freezing waters to build up my endurance and striking small rocks together until they're sharp enough to cut through flesh. This repeative and incredibly dull task will build up my mental abilities and also provides ammo for throwing practises. Also I will have to do everything as silently and stealthy as I can, isolating myself from the society, only asking for a shelter when the night falls. During this training I'll be eating nothing but berries, cleansing my body from harmful toxins.

I spend the morning in the freezing cold river learning the basics of swimming, nearly drowning myself. I however need a bridge for the advanced swimming practises. Shakecheerful is very small, just a few huts next to a big river and we don't have any bridges here.

So I head north towards Sensedied, a neighbouring hamlet, as they have much better infrastructure there. When I arrive at the evening, I find this masterfully designed bridge, admire it for a moment and then spend a few hours swimming back and forth under it.

I get out from the water when the sun is setting down, as the rivers here freeze during the nights. I find a shelter and hear some interesting news about fellow dwarves and a particular outlaw causing some troubles.

18th Hematite, 11

I'm almost halfway through my training program. I feel already my muscles and my senses growing!

21st Hematite, 11

Today I swam upstream until I found this beautiful waterfall. The flow of the water was so great that the downstream of the river was actually overflooding. I tried to swim up the waterfall, but the force of the water was too great even for my legendary swimming skills. I was just thrown back to downstream and getting stunned. I swam back to the village and spent the evening knapping and throwing small rocks.

23rd Hematite, 11

It's been a week since I started my training and I feel like a new dwarf! I've got piles of sharpened rocks everywhere and I feel I should clean up the mess before I leave this village. I'm determined to move them to a one single pile. I've already spent two full days moving and throwing them. The incredible weight of the rocks is slowing me down and the humans in the village appear to be moving very fast in my eyes. Maybe this will build up my strength as well.

24th Hematite, 11

I spent the morning moving the last rocks and I'm now ready for my journey. I need some companion to keep the bogeymen from attacking me at nights, but the villagers here have seen me training and think I'm insane. None of them are willing to join me. So I head back to my home village Shakecheerful and try to recruit someone from there.

Back in Shakecheerful, I find only one volunteer. Usmik, a local axeman will join me.

We head northeast to Whimkin, the human town and capital. I hope we can recruit more people and maybe find out what happened to that poor dwarf, Phones. It's late night when we arrive in the outskirts of Whimkin and spend the night in a farmer's hut in the middle of the fields.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:06:19 pm by uggi »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 25, 2012, 05:11:30 pm »

NOTE: Be careful about draining mental attributes to increase physical ones for adventure mode. The mental ones will be used in fort mode, and the only ones that do not have known effects are memory and musicality. In addition, the points gained are minimal.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 25, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

I was checking to make sure I wouldn't have problems with the region file if I did get a turn, and thought I would post the full region map in case anyone was interested:  http://imgur.com/rnQmN

It hasn't shown up yet (as of 1815 Central Time) as I think imgur is still processing the upload.  This is using the Talryth_15x15 tileset in case anyone wondered.

[edit] And my adventurer spawned in Depthbronze (Sigazobsha), which is north of the target fortress site, on the major river that flows from the original Valley of the Dwarves.  Figures a non-official adventurer attempt would get such a useful start.  :P

[edit-edit] And then I drown in a river. :)

[edit3] So, it still isn't showing. ;(  Here's a link to what is probably a slower page for you guys: http://koboldi.net/dwarffortress/historical_map-Licevaathira-10.png (826950 bytes for the image)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:06:44 pm by krenshala »
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 25, 2012, 11:16:40 pm »

25th Hematite, 11

We arrive at the center of Whimkin at morning, find a marketplace and I sell some seeds to a trader. He's got a nice crutch for sale, it might come handy in the future, but I can't afford it. We visit the Temple of Circumstances, take a quick peek at the basement but find only old skeletons there.

We wander around in the town and suddenly stumble upon a dead goblin inside a shop. How weird. A child tells us his mother slayed the goblin.

The goblin's name sounds familiar. I think it's the one that killed Phones, the dwarf. But where's the dwarf's body? And where's Dag, the human who avenged this dwarf's death? I wonder if the nobles in the town's keep know about this.

We enter the keep and find their small armory. I can't find any armor small enough for a dwarf to wear. There are some long range weapons here but I don't have any use for them, I've got some masterfully sharpened rocks with me.

The lord of the keep, or "the Holy Fortune" as he calls himself has no idea what's going on outside the keep. Damn nobles. I meet one of his henchmen who seems eager to leave the place. She joins me and Usmik.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As we are leaving the keep, I notice some stairs leading to the basement. I've got bad feeling about it but I also feel we must investigate the place. I leave my bags of berries and the heavy coins upstairs and sneak into the basement. I soon notice a lone goblin spearman in one of the corridors.

As I sneak closer, my human companions stumble loudly into the corridor and alert the goblin. My attempts to stab the goblin are failing. Suddenly the goblin is out of my reach and Usmik gets injured. I throw some rocks at the goblin but it just keeps stabbing the poor Usmik. Zoku saves the day by shooting the goblin with her crossbow.

Usmik is too injured to stand so she's staying behind. I soon find a goblin maceman next to a corpse of another goblin. I sneak closer and attempt to take it down silently with my bare hands.

My first attempt fails, then Usmik suddenly jumps in and messes things up again, only getting more injured in the process. I manage to grab the goblin by its throat and strangle it until it passes out. Usmik gets her revenge and sinks her axe into the goblin's skull.

We search the big room but there's nothing but two statues and a stairway leading even deeper into the basement. I choose to open a door instead, and find a goblin crossbowman guarding the corridor. This time I'm quicker than my companions, I strangle the goblin unconscious and then split its head open.

I find another goblin with a crossbow and kill it before it notices me. I feel I'm in the Zone. This is the Way of Urist. The humans can never understand.

As I'm heading back to the stairs, I find a goblin spearman next to some broken crossbow bolts. Looks like there's been some action here. I take the goblin down silently and finish the job with my spear.

My clothes are already tattered and choose to I pick up some leather clothing from the dead goblin. They'll also provide better armor than my fabric clothing. Then I suddenly notice something. Is that... a dwarf's corpse?  What happened here?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 25, 2012, 11:36:03 pm »

Sweet! Phones will (may) get to join the fortress after all! ;)

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #775 on: July 26, 2012, 12:23:40 am »

Sweet! Phones will (may) get to join the fortress after all! ;)

Has anyone considered that we may get a necromancer and then those adventurers will REALLY be joining the fort?

Also that particular dungeon has the highest density of minions possible in the various towns I've walked through. So go to sleep for an hour, and when they respawn, murder them again - for free gear, and importantly, multiple shields.

Also Uggi - which was that shop where you find snobuds corpse? I've been hunting for it for a damn while and its always annoying me.

Edit: found the shop. In my dimension the goblin killed everyone in the shop, and hung out there with a swords gob, marks gob and mace gob. Dead now though.

Edit2: does anyone know where you could get metal armor? Or where I can clean my wounds/mod the game to stop infections?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:31:06 am by parlor_tricks »

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 26, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »

AWESOME updates Uggi!!!

LOVE The first set of posts :)) "Zen of Urist" indeed, we should all learn such wisdom!!!
That training seems to really pay off, seeing how you were able to take on so many goblins so soon!
Also kinda sad to see you talking to the kids of Dag :( There is so much depth to this game, it is a shame that there isn't a way for it to continue the movements of companions so you know what happens to them :(

Kickass that you found Phones!
I never went that deep into the catacombs, so it's no wonder I never ran into the body.
Good luck hulling it with you now, it slows you down a lot, so your going to have to be constantly dropping it the instant you see a threat of attack.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 26, 2012, 05:37:58 pm »

I recommend a bag just for the body and anything associated with it you want to carry, but not carry in combat.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 26, 2012, 08:02:49 pm »

I know that you want an ideal speed as high as possible, but isn't a first attack better when in sight than dropping your load and letting them get an attack in?

I functioned pretty well with 1100.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 26, 2012, 08:40:52 pm »

You could always huck the Bag of Holding at them. If it hits, they'll be in a world of hurt.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 120