Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541237 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #780 on: July 26, 2012, 08:54:51 pm »

That would probably be best, actually.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2012, 12:26:27 am »

Then our fallen dwarves could get kills (or at least assists) without having to give work to necromancers! :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 27, 2012, 12:57:39 am »

If one of our adventurers becomes a necromancer, won't the game make them plot against the fortress when they arrive?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:52 am »

I think that this early in the world there is not going to be any towers at all. It'll be nearly impossible to bring Phones to where we settle.

Also, I just suddenly realised.

When you finish, drop everything you want to retain in the fort to come. :D

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: July 27, 2012, 04:10:52 am »

Be very careful Uggi.
My testventurers have shown that to the south, the lair in which you find Reudh's (the 1st) killer is a very fun place.... (unless I'm mistaken)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: testventurer 5 cancels try out way of Urist: encased in ice.
Anyway, good luck Uggi!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:15:29 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: July 27, 2012, 12:32:29 pm »

As I recall, the locals told Nish that one of the two lairs to the north of Whimkins has the hydra while the cave to the northeast has a demon living in it. At least, Legends Mode says that he settled there.

CaptainXax

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: July 27, 2012, 02:28:53 pm »

Sign me up if it's cool. I'd love to take a crack at it. I'm a man with a lot of time.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: July 30, 2012, 02:28:34 pm »

I search through the deceased dwarf's belongings and find a notebook. This indeed is Phones Starchampion, the same dwarf that the villager in Sensedied was talking about. Looks like we share the same goal, the big mountain range in the southwest. Phones got his orders from the King himself. I however, well.. ever since I had that horrible nightmare about getting killed by a band of kobolds, I've had this overwhelming feeling that I must get to those mountains. I feel it's my destiny.

This dwarf needs a proper tomb, I can't leave him down here. I'm thinking of carrying his body with me. It's a long journey, but I'm also much stronger now, thanks to my training.

But not just yet. My human companions are still somewhere in these dungeons and I think I heard some noises below. I head back to the big room with statues, and find my companions. Usmik is in bad shape, I think both of her legs are broken.

Me and Zoku decide to take a quick peek downstairs. As we enter another room, I spot a goblin axeman and attempt to sneak closer. From the darkness, an arrow flies and hits Zoku. She tries to shoot back with her crossbow. I can't see how many goblins there are in the dark, but they can obviously see the big human and they have long-range weapons. We retreat back into a smaller room. The goblin axeman follows and starts swinging his axe at Zoku, injuring her. I stab the goblin with my spear but can't do much damage. So I resort to martial arts again and quickly strangle the goblin unconscious.

A bowgoblin enters the room and starts shooting at Zoku. She's already badly injured and I try to help her by throwing sharp rocks at the bowgoblin, breaking its leg and disabling it. I grab a battle axe from the unconscious axegoblin and finish the goblin bowman, and then the axegoblin itself.

Zoku is bleeding badly and in great pain. Suddenly she calls me a romantic virgin and something about maws ?! I have no idea what she means by that, she's only barely conscious and probably can't think straight.

Spoiler: What a manly title (click to show/hide)

There might still be goblins left in the bigger room so I pick up a bow from the dead bowgoblin and open the door, instantly spotting a goblin maceman nearby. I don't want to go further into the dark room so I stand on the doorway and start shooting arrows at the goblin.

Then all hell breaks loose. Usmik appears from behind, she has managed to crawl downstairs, and she's got company. More goblins! Bolts start flying from the darkness, Usmik gets shot in the head and she drops her weapon. It's not looking good for her.

I've been hiding in the shadows for the whole time, but now one of the goblins suddenly spots me and soon I have three goblins all over me. In the ensuing chaos I try to disable and disarm them as fast as I can. Facing many opponents, I enter a weird trance-like state of mind that I've only heard rumors of.

A goblin maceman gets through my defences and strikes me on my right side. I'm having trouble breathing and I'm holding a pike I grabbed from another goblin and I can't figure out how to use it properly. Luckily the goblin maceman dodges away from me as I try to strike it, giving me a second to breathe and also to help Usmik by throwing rocks at her attackers. A goblin swordsman attacks me but I manage to disarm it.

I strangle another goblin unconscious, pick up my trusty spear, and start stabbing the goblins, trying to disable them by targetting their legs and weapon arms.

Finally I'm the only one standing. The goblins are all either dead, unconscious or squirming on the floor in pain. I make sure they stay down.

We regroup after the battle and head back to upstairs. Both my human companions are badly crippled. I'm not feeling so great either.

Usmik, being badly wounded, manages to crawl the stairs up and then stops breathing. Me and Zoku decide to leave her corpse behind, it's too dangerous to drag a heavy human body around, there might still be goblins here. We find our way back to the keep and rest for a few hours.

After a few hours of rest I can breath again, Zoku is also looking much better and she can stand up again. We head back downstairs in the hope of retrieving Usmik's body. When we get past the dead dwarf's body, I spot a goblin standing next to it. I quickly take the goblin down. The corpse of the previous goblin guard is still there. Looks like they got reinforcements really fast.

We decide it's best to retreat while we still can. We can't retrieve Usmik's body, but we can at least take the dead dwarf's corpse with us. We drag the body and all his belongings upstairs and place them them in the entrance hall of the keep. We'll pick them up later when we leave the town.

Yes, it's about time to leave this town, and maybe pay a visit to that outlaw hiding in the woods nearby. But first we have to restock our food supply. We head out to get some berries from farmers and suddenly spot a goblin in the middle of the town, in plain daylight! The lone goblin has no chance against both of us. We find a dead human laying in the ground nearby. I wonder what's going on in this town, goblins running around murdering people.

I relieve the dead human from her coins. Finders, keepers. Back in the marketplace, I sell my leftover plant seeds and then try to buy the crutch I was admiring earlier, but the trader only demands more. Maybe I can buy it if I sell the goblin's belongings first.

But the night is already falling so we head back to a farmer's house to get some sleep. It's been a very long day. I slew ten goblins today. The late Usmik got one and Zoku killed two goblins.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:30:09 pm by uggi »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: July 30, 2012, 03:21:43 pm »

Did you collect the clothing and shields of the goblins?

If not, I'd recommend slipping back down there and doing so since those shields and clothes will greatly up your chances of survival and decrease injuries. Hopefully some of them had at least some armor on them.

The weapons would also be useful to either sell, throw at people, or even to dump when you get to the mountainhome.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: July 30, 2012, 03:31:51 pm »

Nope, picked up only some leather clothing. How do the extra shields work? Does every shield automatically give an extra chance to block a strike?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: July 30, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »

You gain experience for each shield that is equipped; I'm not sure if they each get a chance to block or if it just randomly selects one shield to use, but I do know that twenty times the shields equals twenty times the experience per attack used against you.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: July 30, 2012, 08:50:14 pm »

Based on posted testing, there is a chance to block with a sheild and each equipped shield has that chance to block the attack.  As soon as one succeeds at blocking it stops checking.  This is, basically, the same as armor checks where multiple layers are involved.  It starts at the outermost layer, and works in checking to see if any block/deflect the attack; the one that does is the one that you get a message for.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #792 on: July 31, 2012, 02:55:59 am »

Nope, picked up only some leather clothing. How do the extra shields work? Does every shield automatically give an extra chance to block a strike?

Basically pick up as many shields as you can, and go back down there to fight goblins.

Hence upping shield user, and fighter to way past legendary.

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 02, 2012, 06:20:50 am »

How's the goblin killing going Uggi?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:55 pm »

Soooo...any news on this?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 120