Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541159 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #795 on: August 04, 2012, 10:12:21 pm »

Ugggggiiiiiii... update please

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: August 05, 2012, 07:23:03 am »

I'll send him a PM to see whats up... Normally I'd suggest skipping to someone else, but it seems he is almost to the mountain home AND he has Phones body!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 05, 2012, 03:23:28 pm »

Sorry this is taking so long. I'll start dorfing around right NOW. If real life catches me again I'll retire in some town and pass the save.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:50 pm »

26th Hematite, 11

First thing in the morning we walk to the marketplace to sell some things I had scavenged from the goblins. Then I ask about the crutch again. No deal! The damn trader is ripping me off.

Screw it, I'm leaving this town. Just have to pay a quick visit to that outlaw first, it should be a short trip. I stashed some of my things inside the keep next to Phones' body. We'll be travelling light.

Outside of Whimkin, Zoku spots a flock of ravens and starts shooting at them with her crossbow. Stupid human, wasting bolts on wildlife. So I walk around picking up her used bolts and putting down wounded ravens. Next thing I know she spots a herd of wild horses and starts shooting at them! I lead her away from the wildlife, and suddenly spot a fortress in the horizon. We take a quick detour. The fortress is huge, much bigger than the keep in Whimkin.

Spoiler: Trammelrisen (click to show/hide)

We talk with the lady of the fortress, aka the law-giver. She tells us the fortress is called Trammelrisen. As I curse the traders I met in Whimkin, she tells me they have a few extra crutches right here in the fortress and she's willing to give me one for free! Excellent. I just wish I never have to actually use it. Going through their stuff I also spot a nice pick. Now THAT I wish to use some day!

We come across some soldiers, and one of them really wants to join us! The more the merrier! Ettad wants me to lead him to glory and death, so we head outside and continue towards the outlaw's camp.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A few moments later, Ettad spots some horses and runs at them swinging his halberd. Damn, he really wants to get some action. Luckily I can lure him away from the horses before he gets a hoof embedded into his face. Later in the dunes, Zoku shoots the rest of her bolts at vultures and then chases one and starts beating it to death with her crossbow. Later she kills a wild boar. Great, no we have no ammo left. Stupid humans.

Both of my human companions wander off, distracted by the wildlife. I might as well try something now that I'm alone. Sneaking very quietly, I get close to a wild boar and start using some wrestling moves on it, throwing it around. After a few throws it finally notices something is going on and starts attacking me. Still holding it in my grasp, it cannot run away and I'm blocking it's attacks with my shield. I'm having fun time training my shield skills until Ettad appears. The boar attacks him and Ettad stupidly dodges down the hill, faceplanting himself. I give the boar a few hits from my pick to keep it from attacking Ettad, who is still stunned by the collision. Humiliated, he gets up and hacks the boar to pieces with his halberd.

Wondering where Zoku is, we go in circles and soon find her ..... dead! I have no idea what happened to her. There's a wild boar nearby. Frustrated by Zoku's death we kill it on the spot. It probably wasn't Zoku's killer but at this point we don't really care. The sun is starting to get low, so we set up a campfire and spend the night on the very spot where Zoku died.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 06, 2012, 05:54:58 am »

Reudh suddenly hears a wave of hate emanating from a dwarf.

stupid humans...

Reudh leant back inside his hovel and smiled broadly. He was going to like this dwarf.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: August 06, 2012, 11:03:18 am »

'Tis sad, but you must take the crossbow!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: August 07, 2012, 07:25:32 am »

Keep going Uggi, your story telling is amazing, I really get into each post you put up, Want to read more not just to continue, but because I want to know what happens next! :D
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: August 07, 2012, 07:42:48 am »

Busy day today, but I should have a chance to play later tonight.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: August 07, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »

Question: Is it acceptable to use DFHack to temporarily switch to a human companion, to give them back weapons they've lost because they've done stupid human things like attacking hoofed creatures? Or could this possibly corrupt the save so that it breaks later in game? Never done it, but I've heard it should be possible.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: August 07, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

Question: Is it acceptable to use DFHack to temporarily switch to a human companion, to give them back weapons they've lost because they've done stupid human things like attacking hoofed creatures? Or could this possibly corrupt the save so that it breaks later in game? Never done it, but I've heard it should be possible.

Perfectly possible. No side affects.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: August 08, 2012, 01:55:33 am »

27th Hematite, 11

We wake up really early in the morning, before the sunrise and say our farewells to Zoku. I pick up her crossbow and empty quiver, and fill it with the 8 bolts I had collected earlier. We get back on the journey and cross a frozen river. I know humans can't swim well so we have to try crossing the rivers at night when they're frozen. The sun rises and we come across another river. This one has already thawed so we have to go around it. We follow the river south as I think I saw some snowy areas there earlier. Ettad finds and kills a turtle. What is it with humans and wildlife creatures?

It seems the snow has already melted and the river isn't frozen in the south. But after a short walk we find that the river has turned into a shallow brook and we can now cross it without the fear of Ettad drowning.

We are halfway to the outlaw camp. This area is filled with boars and Ettad wants to run after each one of them. While I'm waiting for him to come back I spend my time wrestling with one of the boars, not harming it. Then Ettad shows up, hitting the boar into its mouth, smashing its teeth into million pieces.

Later, Ettad runs off after a pack of horses. Luckily the horses seem faster than Ettad, so I wait for him again. I'm having a nice shield sparring session with a weasel when Ettad comes back limping, bloody and bruised. He seems to be in great pain and collapses into ground. I take a look at him and I think he's got a broken arm and a shoulder. He seems to have lost his halberd somewhere. I sigh at the stupidity of human beings.

We rest for a few hours until Ettad feels a bit better. We search for his lost halberd and find it near a pack of horses. I see the anger in his eyes growing and I have to hold him back. I tell him to calm down and pick up the weapon.

We continue towards the outlaw camp and suddenly find several dead vultures. I wonder what happened here. Maybe another crazy human went on a rampage here? That kind of makes sense since the human outlaw camp is near.

Later in the evening Ettad runs off again. Worried, I go after him and I can't believe my eyes. The damn human is fighting with A CAMEL. The camel charges at him and he's thrown into a river. Ettad is clearly in trouble, stunned, drowning and being assaulted by the big animal. I throw my rocks at the camel but only miss it. So I jump into the river and bury my pickaxe into its skull and then help Ettad back up into dry land. Luckily he's only bruised.

Soon after, I have to put down another camel that Ettad beated to a pulp. Sigh. We are getting close to the outlaw camp and the sun is already low. We set up a campfire for the night and plan to sneak into their camp really early.

28th Hematite, 11

We wake up in the night and continue towards the camp in the darkness. We find more animal remains, this time dingoes. Some of them have been butchered. This is very strange indeed.

In the darkness we hear some noises of badgers. Once again, Ettad runs away from me. I have no idea where he is, I can only hear the noises of a battle. I find an injured badger and mercifully put it down. And then another. I don't know how many badgers he ends up killing.

At sunrise, we find the outlaw camp. I've got my crossbow readied, hoping that I could take them down from distance. Ettad of course charges towards the closest target. Ettad quicky disarms a human lasher by slashing him in the weapon arm. I don't want to waste my bolts so I get closer and help Ettad by beating the outlaw with my crossbow.

As we get closer, I start shooting at the leader of the outlaws with my crossbow. He's got a crossbow too and I want to disable him as fast as possible. Ettad kills a human maceman with a single slash of his halberd.

Ettad gets into a close combat with a human swordsman and is doing a good job until the leader shoots him in the leg. Ettad falls into ground.

I get a few shots at the leader, who continues shooting at Ettad. Luckily Ettad manages to block the flying bolts and finishes the swordsman.

I get another good shot at the leader while Ettad crawls closer and mows the outlaw leader down. All that animal abuse has paid off after all, he's a killing machine.

The outlaws are finally all dead. After looting some useful things from their camp, we head back.

Ettad's injured leg is getting better and he can walk again. Soon he's back to his beloved hobby of killing things, and dives straight into a river, after a ....CARP?! Clearly he's learned how to swim!

On our way back, Ettad again runs off after a horse and gets himself injured. We rest for a while until he's again capable of holding his shield. Sigh.

We're halfway back to the town as the night falls, so we set up a camp. Some unwanted visitors wake us up only a few hours later. Goblins!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:00:59 am by uggi »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:21 am »

Don't die, Etad! We can rebuild him, we have the technology! Actually.... no we don't.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: August 08, 2012, 03:50:52 am »

Once we've all gotten to the mountainhome, I think I will write a piece for all the lost companions. I'm going to make some engravings that can appear ingame, so what d'y'all think? In addition to the historical events, the lesser engravers could engrave images of "Etad the Human Axeman, well known for his hastiness and hatred of animals".

What do you think?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: August 08, 2012, 12:56:03 pm »

Yes! Apparently, companions believe that all animals MUST DIE NOW.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: August 08, 2012, 08:54:04 pm »

Well, if it isn't tame it must, obviously, be hostile to us (them). :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 120