Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541432 times)

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #915 on: November 09, 2012, 04:35:03 pm »

18th Malachite, 11

The night in the swamps is particularly quiet and peaceful. In the next morning while packing up the camp I have a little chat with Ettad. I know the mountains are my destiny, but I also have a feeling that Ettad's not going to stick around much longer. So I ask him if there's anything he'd like to do before our paths divide. He wants to go sightseeing.

He mentions a legend about a strange monster: a molemarian. Apparently it's a weird creature living in a nearby cave. Being half-man, half-mole-rat it surely should be a weird sight. I agree to explore the cave with him. We leave the camp and head towards the mountains.

After a short hike, Ettad finds an anaconda and punches it right in the mouth, exploding its teeth everywhere. I never knew they have so many teeth.

Moments later, he repeats the trick with another anaconda. Now he's just showing off.

We cross another river. Luckily no alligators around here. Ettad kills yet more anacondas. I don't understand how he manages to find them all. They're well camouflaged creatures, after all.

We have to cross another river, and Ettad disappears in the downstream. Wondering where he went, I go after him and find a lot of dead fish. Ettad looks slightly beaten. I wonder if he wrestled with something bigger that got away.

Later in the evening we come across another lake. The beach looks like a nice place for a campsite, but then I see the hippos. Better to move on before Ettad spots them.

The night falls before we reach the mountains and we have to spend another night in the swamps.

19th Malachite, 11

Another quiet night goes by. We get up before sunrise and continue hiking towards the mountains. Soon the terrain starts to change. It's too dry for anacondas and hippos. Ettad runs after birds, trying to catch them. He hasn't killed anything today and is starting to look frustrated.

After a few hours of walk we finally reach the mountains. I've heard them called The Bronze Towers. We start climbing the mountain, the molemarian's cave should be somewhere close.

I'm so excited to be here! The mountains are filled with mineral veins and gems, and they're visible right there on the face of the rock! I'm pointing a particulary nice cluster of gems for Ettad to see but he's not impressed. Humans! Just when I'm about to strike the earth with my pickaxe, Ettad drags me away.

While on our way to the molemarian cave we spot another cave and decide to explore it.

The cave seems quiet, only a lone helmet snake which offers no challenge to us.

The cave soon opens into a huge underground cavern, filled with strange mushrooms.

Ettad spots more snakes and kills all of them.

I don't want us to get lost in the cavern so we head back to the surface. To our amusement we suddenly find falcons flying inside the cave. I have no idea how they got inside. Ettad bats them to the ground.

The night falls before we reach the molemarian's lair. We could search its hideout in the darkness, but I think it's better to do it in the broad daylight.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: November 09, 2012, 04:56:31 pm »

20th Malachite, 11

Again no surprises in the night. When the sun rises we notice a small crevice only a few steps away from our camp. It's the molemarian's lair! We sneak inside to take a peek of the creature.

And by gods it's hideous! Even stranger than I thought. The creature obviously doesn't like to be stared at and attacks us. We have no choice but to fight back.

After a few swings from my scimitar and Ettad's halberd and the molemarian loses both of its hands and a tail.

After more dismembering, the creature falls down, unable to move. It still takes a lot of beating before it finally bleeds to death.

Ettad instantly takes the credit for the kill. Well, I was kind of expecting this since the moment he first mentioned the molemarian.

We leave the molemarian's lair and continue with our journey. After the alligator-filled swamps the mountains feel really peaceful, almost boring. We rarely see any wildlife, and they're mostly birds. Ettad likes to chase them around but can't catch any. After a few hours of hiking we find this beautiful waterfall.

The rest of the day goes hiking in the mountains, without much interruptions. Ettad kills a weasel. It's too small to provide us any meat. I'm getting a bit worried about our food supply. Maybe we should head back south from the mountains.

The night falls and we set up the camp next to a river gorge.

iampaul

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: November 12, 2012, 06:07:14 pm »

Just read through this, looking pretty awesome so far.  I've tried adventuring a lot, but I've never managed anything so impressive as what I've seen here. Keep up the ass kicking!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: November 15, 2012, 04:29:10 pm »

Can't wait for the next update.  I was thinking I'd missed more in my month away from DF, however.  I guess I wasn't the only one that has been busier than normal lately. (durn day job :P )
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: November 15, 2012, 05:00:29 pm »

Awesome adventure. YOUR ALMOST THERE DONT BLOW IT!
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

bkdevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: November 16, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »

I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while, but after reading through page after page of epic awesomess to the max I had to create an account just to comment and follow.

Awesome work guys!
When I strike the earth it stays struck.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: November 18, 2012, 05:33:08 pm »

Just a quick update: I've finally made it to Silverysects and will try to post a wrap-up and the save tomorrow.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: November 18, 2012, 08:12:03 pm »

And then, Crossroads allowing, I'll do a brief one. Though perhaps it may be best to just get on with colonizing now.

Hope Ettad made it!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: November 18, 2012, 09:46:34 pm »

I congratulate Ettad and his glorious sidekick for their successful journey!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: November 19, 2012, 05:53:00 am »

with uggi thats 5 dwarfs now.

dam we are almost there but i will take a few more months
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: November 19, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »

21st Malachite, 11

It's a quiet day in the mountains. We wander towards south in search of something to eat. I've still got some strawberries and a piece of alligator meat left, but they're not going to last for long.

In the evening we descend from the mountains to a prairie. Still not much of a wildlife. Ettad kills a kea and I manage to sneak right into a herd of cavies and kill two of them. Sadly, none of the animals are big enough to butcher.

Until we finally spot some impalas! They're fast, but a hungry dwarf can run even faster! After killing and butchering two impalas we're stocked up on food again.

We spend the night in the prairie. I haven't seen any dangerous animals around but I'm still feeling a bit nervous and surround us with campfires. It's a habit, I know.

22nd Malachite, 11

The prairie is quiet in the night, the stars are out, and nothing interrupts our sleep. Feeling really refreshed in the morning we continue with our journey. I'm feeling particularly dwarfy today and drawn back to the mountains. It doesn't take long for us to climb back up there.

It's very quiet and peaceful in the mountains. Except for the fact that Ettad is constantly whining about not finding anything to kill. We set up a camp when the night falls. This time I don't bother setting up a tight perimeter of campfires. I'm feeling safe in the mountains. I think the journey is almost over.

23rd Malachite, 11

I didn't sleep the whole night. I'm feeling so excited, I feel like coming back home! At sunrise I wake up Ettad and after a few hours of hiking we find ...a swamp? In the middle of the mountains? And then, in the middle of the swamp I spot a campfire! And ...DWARVES! This is it, my destination, the promised land of dwarves! But why is it in the middle of a swamp? Feeling confused, we walk towards the campfire and greet everyone.

"What took you so long?" asks one of them. I tell them about my long journey with a crazy human and start unpacking my backpacks. Ettad feels a bit restless. I'm not sure how long he'll hang around. If these swamps are anything like the Murk of Murdering, he'll soon find an alligator or an anaconda to wrestle with.

Seeing the corpse doesn't seem to alert them. "We already have a few", they say pointing towards a pile of corpses behind them. After dropping everything I've hoarded with me, I make myself useful and organize everything into neat piles.

Well, that's finally it! It took me 36 dwarven days. And once again, I'm terribly sorry this took so ridiculously long in human days.

My final stats and the bits from legends mode:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And Ettad's:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7150

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 19, 2012, 05:45:25 pm »

okay so you are telling me that you have legendary skills, made 20X more kills then me, endured far more then me and you only 1 civ thinks you are a okay guy.

while i was being defended by a bunch of guys hardly doing anything, and everybody worships me.

live isn't fucking fair man

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 19, 2012, 07:26:14 pm »

By way of comparison, Nish has no notable kills, nineteen less kills overall, has half as many Legendary skills, but is respected for his heroic acts by five different civilizations and has no enemies.

The Brave Sir Robin approach pays off handsomely.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:16 pm »

Whereas Reudh is known to almost none.

The "Don't look at me" approach works great. I saw no goblins.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 20, 2012, 02:35:36 am »

uggi i have looked up the save and it doesn't have a world.save instead it has a .ds_store.
it doesn't show up in the dwarf fortress as wel.

Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 120