Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539102 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #945 on: November 24, 2012, 05:22:57 pm »

Well, as soon as I finish with Christmas Lights / College Aps XD

Should be tonight.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 25, 2012, 02:58:59 am »

Just to be clear, we agreed on Hero, not Demigod?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 25, 2012, 03:39:33 am »

Hero is what I used.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 25, 2012, 04:02:03 am »

Good luck. I have been on the edge of my seat because of this thread since it started. I am glad it is this close to STARTING XD
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 25, 2012, 06:36:24 am »

Lord, it's been fifty-five pages and almost seven months since I finished my part of this challenge.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: November 25, 2012, 06:44:30 am »

Some music to set the mood

A large wildfire sprung inexplicably on the northern edge of the hamlet of Sensedied. Villagers claimed to have seen a small figure, at a distance, emerging from the flames.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Later that day, the mutilated remains of many wild boars and small animals were found floating down the river. A man out for a walk found a shredded bloody mass that could only have been an alligator, it's head found fifty feet away and missing a brain.
The local fort of Trammelrisen reported strange sounds that night and found its stores noticeably emptier.

Written in some dark red ink at the beginning, after the other entries:

If anyone finds this journal, I hope to the gods he hasn't found you.

Galena 9th, in the Year of Myth 11

My name is Kema Feraltrades, and I suppose now is as good a time as any to start a journal for the practicing of my letters. I'm a soldier stationed at my hometown's garrison, and aside from that dwarf and his angry looking friend that came by a month ago, it's been quiet.

Well, until yesterday. After the fire, and the savage scene in the morning, and the rustling at night we were a bit spooked come morning. Then He showed up. Just strolled right in through the gate, without even saying a word. Actually, I don't think he's said anything since I met him.

He was a short fellow, dwarf probably, but I couldn't tell whether he had a beard, since he was wearing a mask. I don't know, but when I look at that mask, I feel cold somehow, and like I'm being... watched. The fellow just strolled straight to the watchtower where I was at, came up, and looked right at me the whole time. Somehow, I think he came for me, just me. That dwarf just reached out his hand, beckoned.

"Wait, you want me to come with you?"

He still didn't say anything. Just beckoned again. I looked to my friends, but they seemed just as confused as me, if not a little nervous. Lem just said "he's an adventurer, obviously. You should go with him?"

"Why?" I asked, baffled. "Why should I follow some stranger? Something about this just feels... wrong, Lem."

"This could be your ticket for death and glory, you know," he said.

Well, we'd all been raised to respect death and glory. And oaths, in my case. I think Lem might've been raised to respect Pestilence, too. So, with that in mind I made what I now think may be the worst mistake in my life. I left with that... that no-face dwarf. My best friend Mapo, a fine crossbowman, agreed to come with me. Suddenly, it didn't seem so bad. Though this might be a bit too mysterious for my liking, I was going off to find fame and fortune with fine company, and we'd return home heroes.

That didn't last long. We came to the river, which the no-face swam across uncannily fast. Mapo and I got in after, not the best of swimmers. With hard effort I struggled across, seeing that faceless short figure just standing there, motionless, watching. I climbed out, only to realize Mapo was still struggling in the middle of the current. I couldn't leap in, fearing drowning myself, but that mighty swimmer, the no-face just stood there.

Stood there and watched him drown.

Then, he just calmly went in, hauled out the body, took his crossbow, and sent off, beckoning me to follow. Not a word. Follow I did, because I feared what would happen if I didn't.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:43:01 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: November 25, 2012, 06:08:26 pm »

From the journal of Kema Feraltrades, human lasher

Galena 10th, in the Year of Myth 11

We stopped for a quick camp after the river yesterday evening. The no-face pressed westward, and I wondered whether he was heading for that bandit camp in the nearby desert. Along the way we spied a pack of vultures picking at something in the dust. He just pointed at them. At first I didn't understand, but then... then he just leapt after them! Suddenly he had a pickaxe in hand and he swatted one of those poor birds as it tried to take off, bashing it until there was just a bloody, punctured pulp. He just pointed at the others, bounding away, and in utter confusion I ran after, lashing at them.

When I brought one down, I turned around to see him hunched over the dead buzzard. He turned around, covered with blood, and I saw the empty hole in the bird's head.

He was headed for the camp. Poor bastards didn't even see it coming.
We stopped at a pond just east of the bandits. He built up a ring of campfires and motioned for me to stay put, which I must say I was only too glad to oblige. With that, he crept off towards the camp. In a few minutes, he came running back, some goblins behind him, and jumped into the pond. They didn't seem to notice me, and they didn't notice him slink out of the other side of the pond, coming round behind them.

What followed was the most horrible thing I've seen in my entire life.

There were 3 bandits, and one of him. He came up behind the first, a pickaxe in each hand, and began hacking and smashing. The screams alerted the other 2, and I thought they would make and end of him. No, I think that part of me hoped that. I don't think there's much that can destroy such inhuman cruelty. Planting one pick quickly in the hammer-bandit's skull, he brought the other into the swordsman's knee. Picking the other knee, he proceeded to tear open the goblin's belly and dropped the picks. He simply tore out the long lengths of the goblin's guts!

But that didn't kill the goblin. What killed it was him mashing its head with its own entrails.

He lured them out in groups twice more before taking up the crossbow and his picks and creeping back to the camp. I head many screams. A few minutes later, he returned, covered in blood, and carrying two more crossbows.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: November 25, 2012, 09:53:21 pm »

Ah, you're going the PEW PEW PEW route of travelling. Sounds like a plan. Let's see if you get a name for yourself as great as Ettad or Nish.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: November 25, 2012, 10:50:31 pm »

Just realized, the dungeon I've been through is the same one Uggi did. Did you kill their leader? I did, might have regenerated.
Sorry for lack of images on this one.

Galena 11th, in the Year of Myth 11

Nevermind what I wrote yesterday. Today was the worst day of my life.

After apparently looting the camp, we set out to the east in the morning. Every animal we saw, he chased after, and indicated for me to do the same. I feel awful about the mess he leaves behind. About the pain he seems to revel in. What's worse, I began to suspect he was headed for the Town, Whimkin. Fortunately, though, he decided to swim across the river on the way. Still smells like blood though.

He handed me all the stuff from the bandit camp, and just stood there in the store. I made some negotiations with the shopkeep, receiving more money than I'd ever seen for all those bejeweled clothes and fancy weapons. The only thing the No-face seemed interested in keeping was the less-decorated of the iron crossbows. The shopkeep asked where we'd been, and I told him about the bandit camp, no survivors. Suddenly his unease seemed to become admiration. Boss goblin was very bad after all, done some very bad things, who cares if the one who put her down is a bit odd?

The news seemed to spread quickly. Before I know it, we're asked to meet the lady in the keep, says she wants us to clear out some nasty bandits living right in her basement. I ask if that other dwarf that came through already got them. They got better, she says, and he didn't kill all of them or their leader.

So, into the dungeon we went. I really wish we hadn't now. There were some goblins, I killed a few, he killed double a few. Ran right up and just started shredding them with those picks of his, limbs flying everywhere. He just fired a bolt down the one hallway, into the darkness, and somehow stuck one in the stomach. I took a few hits, nothing worse than bruises, but one broken finger.

Then I got shot.

We came upon their leader, no-face opened the door and he was right there, no more sneaking. That room was just full of goblins. There had to have been at least 15 of the bastards! The no-face is just crippling them left and right. Then, from nowhere, I feel an immense agony in my belly. The arrow went right between my guts, cutting my backbone. Can't feel legs anymore.

We fought on, though. He cut a few of them down, split their heads like melons, blocked or dodged everything, like he was made of air. Not me, though. I got speared pretty bad in the arm, even more agonizing, and worse, dropped my shield. Smashed about the head with a mace, praise painting for my helmet! Just a torn ear and a rattled brain. Hurt like hell.

Still doing fine, still beating them back, killed a few maybe, but then I took an arrow in the right eye. Oh, why couldn't the helmets have had a front?

I don't know for sure what happened after that, I'm still in so much pain. No-face killed all of them, I managed to crawl out after him, or he dragged me. Something like that. Then he dragged me back to my garrison at night. He looked through all our stores, found a pair of crutches, held them out for me to crawl up and take. This was no kindness. Whatever he needs me for, he won't let me escape so easily, not by dying.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: November 26, 2012, 01:33:47 am »

Galena 12, in the Year of Myth 11

I think at last the No-face's true purpose is at hand. These things he did before were just preparation. At the break of dawn we set off south down the riverside, him leading with an air of great purpose. He even ignored small animals for a bit, though that didn't last long. Soon, every time we came across a weasel he had to smash it so hard it went sailing into a tree and broke. And he didn't let me sit back either, injuries and all, oh no. First I had to fight a snapping turtle, bit me in the foot, but I didn't feel it and just smashed the thing's head with my crutch.

Next were the horses. The No-face had to have killed 3 or 4 of them, and I swear he's eating their brains! Made me fight one, trampled me pretty good until he came up and butchered it alive. No permanent damage, though I think some of my wounds are getting infected. Don't think he notices. Or cares. I'm getting pretty good at walking on these crutches, can almost keep up with him now.

We came to a big mound, led down into a cave. There were some weasels, which No-face killed, and some other.... things, which he also killed.

The bottom led out into some kind of huge cave, a bit scary, so I was glad he turned around. Found a dead falcon just south of the cave mound with an iron bolt in the corpse. Strange.

We crossed a big river and made camp. Hard to write sitting in this awkward position.

Galena 13th, in the Year of Myth 11

Slept soundly last night, despite camping way out in the wilds. Early after sunrise, we were ambushed twice by wolves. Both times we won, No-face shredding them, but I got a bit gnawed in the last one, and he got a bite on the hand. Nothing serious.

Nothing interesting happened after that until we found the lair.

I see a burst of flame come out of the hole, and hobble down as fast as I can! A bloody fight is already underway

The no-face holds the creature's attention, somehow blocking all its fire with his shield. There is something unnatural about that.

I bash it, bruising it, while he tears huge holes in the scales and rends its bones. It falls to the floor but refuses to give into pain, such a mighty beast it was! Just as it turns around, finding attacking No-face frustrating, to deal with me,

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: November 26, 2012, 07:22:37 am »

Bloody Hell Did you just kill a DRAGON?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: November 26, 2012, 12:46:56 pm »

Did you pick hero or demigod?
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: November 26, 2012, 02:43:18 pm »

Hero, but it's amazing what a full day of torturing small animals will do for your skills/stats.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: November 26, 2012, 07:12:40 pm »

Man, I am in love with this thread. I'm sad that I can only watch.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: November 26, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »

Bloody Hell Did you just kill a DRAGON?

That's surprisingly easy to do in Adventure Mode if you have a fair amount of shield skill and a piercing weapon like a spear or pick, which are absolutely brutal to large animals especially if you aim for the head or upper body.

The shield blocks any flame and the pick lets you puncture organs; swords or axes result in you trying to hack off things, which doesn't work quite so well.

Hero, but it's amazing what a full day of torturing small animals will do for your skills/stats.

Are you calling your shots or just trusting in the RNG?
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 120