Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 540980 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #975 on: November 28, 2012, 08:31:33 pm »

Well, I could haul the entire dragon and butcher it when I get there (can't butcher slain creatures in fort mode, have to be alive and then designated apparently.) That would be a bit slow though.

I don't think the meat will keep unless it's left in a lair so that's just a waste of time. Plus Noface would be slowed to a crawl; the bones will be heavy enough as if (though you can always remove your backpack and huck it at people; a heavy enough backpack is unbelievably dangerous in the right hands).

You could always bring some of the fat so we could have dragon soap.

Hmm, what about the skull?

Bring that as well; we can make it into a totem and put it above the main entrance.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: November 29, 2012, 12:06:16 am »

I always eat the heart of my greatest foes. It really made high school awkward, but I was acquitted.

But, skull as a trophy to be placed in the completely necessary tomb would be awesome.
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: November 29, 2012, 07:35:42 am »

GUYS! I Just had a brainstorm concerning gear...

In Adventure mode, many of us have come across rather Awesome and Dwarf gear. Wepons, Armor, etc.
But when "retire" it has been shown that anything you have on goes away in Fortress mode.
Well, and we should have been doing this from the start... When we reach the spot where the fort will be we just need to drop all the gear!  Leave it in a pile and when Fort mode starts, it is all still there.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »

Heh, I just got an idea for your fortress motto."like the sun we will live to rise, like the sun we will live and die and then, ignite again! "Basically saying how you will rise to great power but like any good dwarf fortress u will die a horrible death lol but then be ressurected again in the ashes of your former glory!!!
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 04, 2012, 02:39:14 am »

Yes, indeed, we had just slain a dragon, something I dare say would have made me feel like a great hero if it wasn't for the gruesome display I witnessed next.
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
After finishing, he made me strap the bloody, raw skull to my back. At least, I think that's what he wanted. It could have been a lot worse in retrospect. We found a clutch of eggs in the back, of which he unceremoniously stuffed one into his bag, probably trusting the rock-like shell not to break. Probably intends to eat it. At least, I partly hope he does. I do not like to think of him somehow hatching it.

With my waterskin full of water and his, from the smell, something much more unpleasant, we set out again to the southeast at a grueling pace, crossing two rivers before ending up here, our camp for tonight. No major incidents, but I think I begin to despair at the sight of otters, as I know I will have to try my best to mash their heads in with my crutch. This country we've entered this evening seems oddly pleasant, though, and I hope we travel through it a while longer.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 02:41:58 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 04, 2012, 07:20:04 am »

Lol.I'm loving this
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 04, 2012, 07:38:47 am »

I just love the "Despair at the sight of otters, because I know I will have to bash their skulls in" line, since we all KNOW that companions will go crazed with savage intent to hunt down ever bunny, otter, and fluffy wumbler they can see in a two mile radius.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 04, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

It is a really tantilizing perspective narrating with your companion. It turns brainless meat shields into something a lot more human while turning the PC into an all knowing evil killing machine, (Which is exactly how I play) rather than someone playing a more innocient role.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:46 pm »

If only there was a way to make adventure mode behavior affect fort mode food preferences.... something cranial
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:40:30 pm by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 05, 2012, 02:52:37 am »

Galena 14th, in the Year of Myth 11

First thing in the morning, we left the nice patch of wilderness, which seemed to stretch to the southeast, while we were headed southwest, straight as an arrow. The No-face pitted me against a hippopotamus, a creature seeming half as big as the dragon and twice as mean, though as I write this I suppose it still has my sympathy. Luckily for me, he broke its knees before it could trample me, and luckily for it, it bled out while still unconscious and before he could finish pulling its guts through its back.

That was just the beginning, though. At the next river crossing, we stopped to savage some wild boars, but in the midst of dismembering one, he suddenly spotted that an alligator was doing the same a hundred feet away, and he just... just leapt at it. I was left to struggle with the crippled but still very much alive boar, but I suppose it was less loathsome a prospect than having to face one of the gators. They didn't stand a chance, though.
Spoiler: those aren't all teeth (click to show/hide)
Luckily, the boar managed to limp away before he could stop me from leaving it alone. Somehow it managed to break my finger which had only just healed. I could hardly care less at this point.

We crossed another river later into some kind of huge hot forest, jungle probably. The place really seems quite astounding, the animals of amazing size. The idea of finding a giant vicious beast might be terrifying, especially since I'll probably be forced to charge it, if it weren't for that the No-face is far more unsettling. He had us make a rush at some truly enormous boar, but they were too quick that time.

Now we've come to yet another river, but here we stop for the night.

Galena 15th, in the Year of Myth 11

Today was uneventful for the most part, tramping through the jungle and into a swamp, chasing more animals but thankfully not catching them. This hunting, this cruel chasing, I can discern no meaning for it. Why? Why does he do it, why does he make me do it? It drives me mad!

As a small mountain rose up from the swamp in the distance, we inexplicably changed course from Southwest to just South, No-face pressing forth with the same sense of indomitable purpose as before. Maybe we're getting close? Though, wherever he's taking me, I honestly expected him to approach it in a straight line, going through any obstacle in the way.

Galena 16th, in the Year of Myth 11

After hiking further southwards, we came to a cave in the midst of some dry plains, which the No-face climbed down into. I caught up with him a few passages downward, in the midst of bludgeoning some kind of small, horrible creature. As I came in for a closer look, it lunged at me, followed by another from the shadows.
Spoiler: self defense (click to show/hide)
I whacked it many times with my crutch, breaking bones, but the little fiend knocked me down and leapt upon my face, so I bit off its arm. No-face just watched my struggle, doing nothing. These gremlins were no dangerous opponents, but by the gods what the hell does he want with me!?

The foul taste of its blood lingered in my mouth as we ventured deeper. We encountered more gremlins, and each time the No-face simply left me to smash them on my own. I haven't much love for gremlins, but nor do I take extreme pleasure in their messy demise: somehow, though, having me kill them so interests him greatly. Not altogether too deep we found the passage led to a huge underground lake, and promptly turned back towards the surface.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 07:35:18 pm by HugoLuman »

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 06, 2012, 04:07:16 pm »

I just love how the human is being driven mad by cruel no -face MUAHAHAHAHA

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 08, 2012, 03:51:42 am »

Galena 17th, in the Year of Myth 11

I can't write about this. I just can't.

Nako saw them first, and alerted his patrolmates to draw their weapons. A strange duo they were, a human and an odd dwarf, and goblins didn't like strangers in their land, especially not strange strangers. "Halt, in the name of the Defended Dungeon!"

The human heard them, suddenly looking as scared as he ought to be. He didn't seemed terrified of the patrol, though, but rather he seemed to be afraid of something unknown. "Please!" he cried, "Don't do this! Don't get any closer! You have to get away right now!"

The dwarf just stopped, motionless, with seemingly no other reaction. Surely this was feigning madness, an attempt at intimidation, and despite the slight creep in their stomachs, the goblins were not impressed. They prepared to charge, but suddenly the masked dwarf rushed their pikeman, hacking him in the knee then striking his shin in twain. His right arm and left hand followed, leaving him defenseless.

Whirling around lightning fast, the dwarf smashed the whip arm of the goblin behind him. Deciding now was a good time to help, the hammermen rushed in, meeting a bolt to the leg and 2 pickaxes, crippling all three. The human was stomping the downed goblins with his crutches as they continued to fight back, still not willing to concede to injury.

In particular, the lasher knocked the human down and began pummeling him with his good arm, the human unable to get any good strikes through that iron helm. Without warning, the dwarf dropped his picks and seized the helm, wrenching it off, and with a brutal throw, split the lasher's skull.

With the hammermen all bleeding to death, the dwarf turned towards the still-living, mangled pikeman, now bereft of his pike. For a long moment the goblin gazed in terror at the mask, trying to find a signal in that immutable face. For a moment, the human steeled himself to witness the brutal execution. But it did not come. Instead, the dwarf just watched the goblin for a while, the human's face slowly filling with shock. Then, the dwarf turned, and walked away, beckoning for the human to follow. He did, limping away, turning his head back as he went. Their eyes met, the human seeing the goblin lying their in his agonizing injuries, left to live for whatever unknown cruel reason, and the goblin seeing the human's whole other living torment.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 08, 2012, 10:31:46 am »

God, his dwarf is scaring me  :o.you should make him a hammerer in your fort lol

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 08, 2012, 02:22:57 pm »

I'm trying to give us a master miner, so maybe after he does his digging.

Say, if someone retires in a goblin site (which they can do if they reach one without striking any goblins with attacks), will they show up as invaders in fort mode? But given the strength of adventurers that survive to reach the goblin area, that might be a bad idea.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 08, 2012, 02:44:01 pm »

True -just retire him in a fortress.but yeah when he fulfilled his mining duties he can be a type of law enforcement.the most feared hammered /judge there ever was
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 120