Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541250 times)

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #990 on: December 08, 2012, 05:29:26 pm »

Say, if someone retires in a goblin site (which they can do if they reach one without striking any goblins with attacks), will they show up as invaders in fort mode?

Doing so lists the Adventurer in question as a member of the goblin civilization so I guess it's possible.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 08, 2012, 09:10:53 pm »

So, on an unrelated note I'm now tempted to make a mighty adventurer on another world named "General Rearface" and move him to goblin town so he can invade my forts :)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 09, 2012, 03:56:58 am »

Galena 18th, in the Year of Myth 11

I still can't write about it. After those events though, I salvaged two very sturdy looking iron shields to strap to my arms. Hopefully these will help stop me from getting bowled over. The No-face found a mail shirt that fit him, though I can't say he's needed one before. Bizarrely, after putting it on, the first thing he did was to leap into the middle of a bunch of large fish in a river. He provoked them and let them swarm over him for hours, then just climbed back out, calm as ever. Maybe he was testing the armor?

Today, we wandered southwards, killing and maiming many animals. He made me attack a large school of fish in a river this morning, and they were no small fish either, but with my shields I managed to kill them to No-face's satisfaction. Or whatever he feels. There was also this great big snake, Anaconda I think, that attacked us, and with quick thinking, I ended it quickly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I don't know how he feels about my curtailing his cruelty, the only reaction he had was to pause before his usual tearing out the contents of the skull.

We also met three alligators in another river, and they stood little better chance.

Here we have found a strange littering of many skeletons, where Noface stops for some reason. I'll take this time to write a journal for today, and maybe finish it tonight. The bones are strange, looking like alligators and some kind of giant rodent.

cont'd...

More animals killings, another anaconda, many rattlesnakes, a falcon. I grow weary.

Galena 19th, in the Year of Myth 11

The animals. The animals. The violence. No reason. I weary. Too much.
Too much.
Spoiler: Too much (click to show/hide)

Galena 20th, in the Year of Myth 11

TheNeverEndingHuntingItDrivesMeMadTheCrueltyNoReasonNoReasonNoReason

GutsBloodBloodBloodEverywhereBloodHeKillsAlwaysKillingNoMercyNoHumanityAlwaysAlwaysAlwaysKillingMaimingShredding

makesmekillmakesmedocruelthingsIcan'tlivelikethisalwayskillingthere'snoreasonwhydeathwhy

musthuntkillslaughtermaimmurdermurdermurderdon'twanttohe'swatchingalwayswatchingeyelessfaceblackholesforeyesnosoulwatching

watchingalwaysmustdowhatwantsfearhimfearhimwhatwillhedoifIdon'tdowhathewants?

killKILLKILLOHGODSNOWHY

Galena 21st, in the Year of Myth 11

Freedom. Yes. Escape. Yes. I must. Animals, always makes me chase the animals. I'll chase them, yes, chase them far. A pretense. Far, further and further from him until he can't find me, then I only chase, only kill when I want. Maybe never kill again.

....Yes, plan working, out of sight, he's far away, on other bank now, chase falcon, falcon leads to freedom. I'm going to be fr

Galena 22nd, in the Year of Myth 11

O the vile winds! Damnation! I thought I had escaped. I thought I had freed myself. But just as I was almost out of his reach, the world went black and I found myself at his side again, as if in some ghastly blink of the gods' eyes. And now, something changes in the way he looks at me, and he makes my very faith in Painting weaken!

We are at the foot of mountains now, and I think that the Noface's purpose may be near.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:34:44 pm by HugoLuman »

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 09, 2012, 07:13:15 pm »

A carp! My hat off to you no -face! And that human meat sack os a wimp
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 09, 2012, 07:55:27 pm »

Ah, well, here's where it gets awkward.

Due to a glitch involving campfires, I might have to hack to save Kima. What's worse, I've  overshot a bit to the south and so am not in the right mountains, so the death of the narrator now would leave me a big gap to awkwardly cover. And, he really is carrying the dragon skull, the glitch destroys the body and all items.

So, if he dies, do I cheat? If so, I can make it work with the story.

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 09, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »

Cheat
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 09, 2012, 08:52:50 pm »

Ah, well, here's where it gets awkward.

Due to a glitch involving campfires, I might have to hack to save Kima. What's worse, I've  overshot a bit to the south and so am not in the right mountains, so the death of the narrator now would leave me a big gap to awkwardly cover. And, he really is carrying the dragon skull, the glitch destroys the body and all items.

So, if he dies, do I cheat? If so, I can make it work with the story.

Did you trap yourself underground by building a fire?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 09, 2012, 08:59:20 pm »

After encountering a bunch of fires left by one of my predecessors, I decided to make a large pattern of them on the ground for the final adventurer to find. But Kima dodged into them, and since he's in the middle of a 3x3 bunch of them, he's bleeding and melting. Can't travel cuz in mountains. Working on a dramatic fix.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 09, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »

Huh. He won't just crawl out of them? That's what my sidekicks usually do.

Is there a utility that extinguishes campfires that you could use?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:34 pm »

EDIT for NINJA: There's another fire in the way, and he's already badly burned.

Galena 23rd, in the Year of Myth 11

Today was a strange day. We hiked across to the other side of this mountain yesterday, and today found a cave with some kind of two-headed giant. It was dispatched rather quickly. Now the No-face takes us back up the mountain, I believe he strives for the top.

Galena 24th, in the Year of Myth 11

The No-face grows stranger. While making some kind of shape out of a large bonfire, a peregrine falcon perched on the nearby slope and He motioned for me to go kill it. But I have had enough of this pointless slaughter. I stood my ground this time, ignoring. He reacted only by pausing for a moment before murdering it himself.
That unsettling feeling that seems to emanate from him since my attempted escape has become much stronger now, and I begin to fear him. I feel as if some dark purpose now utterly bends towards me.

We hiked up to the nearby crater, a lake of molten fire, and he's just standing there, staring into that immense heat. I'll take this time to write a quick entry, I fear for my life.

I write this as fast as I can! He just threw the dead bird into the crater, and raises his hands to the sky! A loud thunderclap just split the night! What is this?

And now a terrible feeling comes over me, I fight sudden weariness to keep writing. In my guts I feel a great wrongness, the very world is just wrong. And I feel like the wrongness is focusing on me! I'm blacking out, my every bone feels wrong! What has he d

« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 09:33:48 pm by HugoLuman »

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 10, 2012, 01:11:22 am »

Is there a utility that extinguishes campfires that you could use?

You can extinguish fires with DFHack, by placing some water on top of / next to a campfire.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 10, 2012, 01:42:18 am »

He was already bleeding out, though, but I did extinguish the fire to recover his gear. Thought it would be more interesting to jury-rig a werecreature anyway.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 10, 2012, 02:41:06 am »

Did you just DFhacked him into a werefalcon?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 11, 2012, 02:16:27 am »

Basically, yes. But legends won't say anything about it.

In 11, Kima Feraltraded was cursed for his defiance to assume the form of a giant falcon-monster every so often.

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: December 11, 2012, 07:25:51 am »

Lets just pretend that No-face knows some magic and is realy mysterious/creepy. I would give him the position of Hammerer in my fort. If dwarves had a bit better ai they wouldn't break any rules.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 120