Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541420 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1155 on: February 05, 2013, 09:28:50 am »

THIS IS FREAKING EPIC!! Tugging seems like a real tough half pint.on an unrelated note -if my adventurer is a member of a civilization.I retire him.then make a fortress with it belonging to that civilization -will he come as a migrant? -
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: February 05, 2013, 10:40:56 am »

And now..
THE SAGA OF SILVERYSECTS! YEAR ONE:

It had begun with a revelation…
The world was ‘new’.

Not new in any metaphorical sense, but “just born” newly hatched as it were.  Oh sure, the mountains SEEMED to look as if they had been there for millions of years, and there SEEMED to be centuries worth of various people and creatures around. Many Elves and Dwarves “said” they were over a hundred years old.  Curiously, no one seemed to have memories that went back much more than 10 years…

In the end, the Low King of the Dwarves Ideb (who up until recently had thought he was Eighty years old) Made a proclamation to all Dwarves of the world… Their legends spoke of mighty Mountainhomes. Vast underground cities with rooms so large one could not see the end; they spoke of immense oceans underground that Dwarfish ships sailed upon. And they spoke in hushed tones of a mystical treasure, a rare living metal that was rumored to have been left by the gods themselves.

Unfortunately however, if the world WAS only 10 years old, such cities existed purely in myth, so it was bloody well time to build one then.

The word went out to every Dwarf settlement known, “Build a City Worthy of Dwarves!” And this city shall be known as… SILVERYSECTS![/i]

And THAT was how this whole bloody mess got started…

Journal of Bhrian Bloodaxe
It was to be the end of a long and mighty quest. Not just for me, but for many many other Dwarfs, I and I alone had been instructed by the Low King exactly what our quest was and of its importance. Our people needed a proper and legendary home. Not one that was just spoken of in Legends but a mighty citadel to inspire the entire world!

I had trekked for what seemed like months to the location I had been told of.  A land that was supposedly as silver as the moon, with lakes of water as far as the eye could see. 
As such, imagine my surprise when upon arrival I found it to be in the middle of a bleeding burning wasteland!  And to top it all off there was only…

“SIX? The Low King sent out the messages almost two years ago.  Are you saying in all that time there has been only six of you that made it here alive?”

“Aye, an most of us made it just barely” The Dwarf ‘Uggi’ said as he pointed to another missing an arm..
“This is intolerable, How are we to build a great city with just Seven of us!”
“It aint exactly going ot be easy thar isn’t much to build with! Its all desert and heat and dirt! Not much in the way of great mountains to build a mountain home!

“But the Low King prophesized a Silver land for us, rich in earth and cooled by vast deep lakes!

“Look There is only one of two things that happened here. Either we are in the wrong location—
“Impossible! I followed the kings’ direction to the letter!”
“Yeah, or… The King is a bloody loon and there IS No wonderful silvery land with huge lakes and flowing water. Cause I aint seeing any around here!”

“Ok ok, we are Dwarves, water or no, trees or no, the King wants a bloody city? We’re going to give him one!”

Our first month here has seen much activity.  After the realization sunk in that it was just the seven of us, I seemed to be able to get them motivated into action.  Food and drink was chief most concern, *** and ***** scoured the surrounding lands, uprooting every last bush that seemed alive to gather seeds from it.  Our harvest was modestly successfully and already we have Wild Strawberries’ and Long grass growing that shall make a fine brew.

Myself and a few others with experience with a pickaxe dug into a small hill to make a better shelter for ourselves.  The small huts the others had put together were no proper home for a Dwarf. We did make another ‘home’ A tomb for those who had fallen and yet still made it to the destination.  We have out of gleaming limestone, constructed a ‘Tomb’ atop the hill.  I hope in time to make something far more grand and imposing to remember all those who fell coming to this place, but it shall enshrine their bodies for at least the present.

A Miracle! We have at last other Dwarves! It would seem we are not alone in our endeavor after all. A number of Dwarves were sighted approaching the valley and we quickly brought them in. Sadly however it seems many of them, like us, expected a far different landscape.  Many of them are farmers or craft dwarves. Works for industries that we may not be able to use for quite some time. We put most to work either digging or trying to plant as much as possible.  With an increased workforce we also have more beards to feed.

It has been several months since the start of SIlverysects, and with each passing day I grow more and more fearful of our supplies. We have had yet more migrants come upon us.  We were fortunate that several of them seemed gifted in working a forge. Indeed one seemed to be a master in making Armor and we have set him to work quickly making protection for us.  Unfortunately there is little wood to burn here and we have only small amounts of iron.  I have put all effort into trying to grow what we can out of the parched dirt around our ‘temporary’ lodgings.  I have also rationed the booze as much as I dare. The others are starting to grumble and I do not know how long I can keep them at bay.  Our number is now over 18 and with so many beards to feed I see a dim future for us…

“SIR!”
“Aye what is it, I be busy in here!”
“Come quick you have to see this! The miners struck something amazing!”
“What is it? More of that wretched blue rock? Or maybe more limestone? Armok knows we need more of that.”
“Um no Sir, we think, We think we may have found the ‘real’ Silverysects!”

A few moments later Bhrian and several of the others looked into a hole punched into the central shaft that was being dug. Cold damp air billowed up from the hole, the first cold any of the Dwarves had felt in months.

“Its, It’s a whole word down here.” Bhrian said as he looked out into a massive abyss. “This is it, this must have been what King had in mind! THIS Is where our city is meant to be!”
“SIR! We just got word from our look outs, more dwarves approach!”
“What? More migrants?”
“NO It is a caravan from the north! Traders! They bring goods of all sorts! Two wagons full of food!”

In less than a day all of our fortunes have changed! Armok is surely smiling upon our work!
Our mines have dug deep and discovered the fabled Underworld, an endless cave system that is legend to be the true home to the Dwarves. It is upon a large island in a great cold sea that we shall build our fortress. A city fit for a King!
What is more, with the end of the year, we at last have merchants from home.  Our worries of food are for the moment over as we have been to barter for much needed food seeds and goods.

With the New Year approaching I suddenly feel confident in our success of construction of a Mighty Mountain home!

ENDING NOTATION
First off a look at the two heros who arrived:

Next. As discussed earlier, we left the breaching of the underworld until the very end of the year.  After all it would have been too easy if we got down there right away! A note on the booze, I actually did lock up the booze supply each time it was filled, so many of the Dwarves may be more than a little grumpy right now. Hopefully with the underworld uncovered there should be more than enough room and muddy ground to grow everything we need.
A note on the city plan, I couldn’t have ASKED for a better location! We have a HUGE flat muddy space that is also a freaking ISLAND! Aside from FB’s and pond grabbers, we are going to be mostly safe from harm (for now).
I mapped out a central stairwell column that leads from a good entrance spot up to the surface.  THIS is the entrance that shall in time become the “real” super legendary impressive entrance to Silverysects. Basically the next player should start clearing out the island and making it as open as possible. First for large farms and then eventually for the Dwarves who will move down ((The current fort I hope to be able to abandon within the next year or so))
SO in terms of next year goals…
1: Mining out stairwell and clear the rock pillars from the island to open it up.
2: Building farms in the mud to sustain all dwarves.
3: Start making larger and more ‘regal’ rooms for our heroes.

Also, some long term goals…
Slowly enclose the island with Fortifications (Limestone for now, perhaps Silver later)
Build water systems to produce a waterfall over the entrance (thus ensuring every Dwarf gets a bath entering or exiting the city.)
Start laying out above ground Temples to our mighty gods and goddesses.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: February 05, 2013, 02:05:04 pm »

And thus it begins....
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: February 05, 2013, 02:33:57 pm »

Ooh, what an amazing start! Could you post the save in public so we can take a look at it ourselves? Non-ascii tilesets are so confusing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »

We should build murder holes hanging from the ceiling from which to pwn forgotten beasts with archers. How high is the ceiling? How many layers between ground and caves?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: February 05, 2013, 02:54:51 pm »

Been watching this off and on since last year, when the idea first came up. Probably my first posting on this thread, but let me say this:

Can't wait to see how everything plays out!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: February 05, 2013, 03:00:37 pm »

Ooh, what an amazing start! Could you post the save in public so we can take a look at it ourselves? Non-ascii tilesets are so confusing.

just goto DFFD and type in "Silverysects" oit will be the most recent upload from my account

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: February 06, 2013, 01:47:18 am »

This warms my heart that this is succeeding.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: February 06, 2013, 02:24:28 am »

got to be hounest I'm a bit disorgnized on that, I need to go back and make a list of everyoen who asked to play in adventure and didn't as well as those who DID play in adventure but died.

Oy vey I need to hire a secratery or something
Here is the list of folks that have explicitly asked to participate in either the Adventure mode portion, or Fortress mode.  I've included the post number before each name (e.g., Corai requested inclusion in [R]eply number 35 of this thread).

OP: Crossroads Inc. *
R1: rtg593
R6: Madventurer
R27: davros
R35: Corai *
R36: Orky_Boss *
R66: Fen *
R79: keyreper
R83: Reudh *
R85: Torrasque666 *
R95: Ubiq *
R102: melkor *
R114: lavenders2
R117: uggi *
R128: Phones *
R178: Niyazov
R189: dorfnynja
R206: Broken
R211: HugoLuman *
R240: nomad
R249: Zwaryczuk
R265: rtg593
R326: Bobnova
R327: Child of Armok
R347: Berlioz
R348: WaffleEggnog
R369: Crazy Cow
R392: Megaman3321
R398: Tophat
R420: lorb
R438: Broken
R512: krenshala
R718: Shininglight
R786: CaptainXax
R861: Varnifane
R965: Urist McLaptop
R1057: laularukyrumo

* Those that participated in the Adventure mode portion.

I've no idea how many of these folks still wish to be involved, of course, but I know I do.

And Of course the list of folks that played the Adventure mode portion is:

LIST OF DWARVEN HEROS!
  Ubiq: The first founder!
  melkor:
  Orky_Boss:
  uggi The Delayed Dwarf of Doom
  Reudh:
  HugoLuman
  Crossroads Inc. The Final Founder.

The list of the Fallen...
  Corai:
  Fen:
  Torrasque666:
  Phones

I'll leave it up to you to post an official list of participants for management of Silverysects, Crossroads. I'm just hoping this list helps you out. :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: February 06, 2013, 03:42:56 am »

Are we renaming dwarves when their namesakes show up or what?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:36 am »

Are we renaming dwarves when their namesakes show up or what?
YES! I tried to rename them myself, but for whatever reason the "Delete" key didn't work in the nickname screen.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: February 06, 2013, 08:03:16 am »

Following the thread since the beginning.

Is it possible to get dwarved as "Scout" when an unwanted migrant appears?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:56 am »

Oh lord I forgot about that part of community gaming.  Traditionally random people who don't get to participate are "Named" into random dorfs...
We can use the list from krenshala to start putting names to Random Dorfs in the game as they come along.

bstrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: February 06, 2013, 11:37:13 am »

What an awesome game!! Can I get in on the action? I'd like to help make Silverysects into a glorious glorious dwarven kingdom!

Props to all of you adventurers that made it to Silverysects in ~1 piece. I've read through this thread in it's entirety, and what a story it is! As a former lurker, I just had to register to tell you guys (girls?) what an awesome job you're doing!

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: February 06, 2013, 05:02:35 pm »

Hey, I'll take a dorf as soon as you can. If there's a ton of others that posted before me that want one, I'll wait patiently!

Preferably something useful, like a cook or brewer, or something craft related. Doesn't really matter to me.
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 120