Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541321 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1170 on: February 06, 2013, 05:26:58 pm »

Oooh, I can't wait until my turn comes around. :D

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: February 06, 2013, 05:40:56 pm »

If its possible, I have been following this thread from the beginning,if u can name a dwarf after me (kromeus) I would appreciate.when u have time.if u will do it plz let me know :)
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: February 06, 2013, 06:55:34 pm »

So:

Scout - Random Unwanted Migrant
Lich180 (whether as this or something else) Cook/Brewer/Craftsdwarf
Kromeus - Whichever

Anybody else?

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: February 07, 2013, 07:35:23 am »

If possible I would like miner or engraver or mason plz
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

bstrain

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: February 07, 2013, 10:10:53 am »

So:

Scout - Random Unwanted Migrant
Lich180 (whether as this or something else) Cook/Brewer/Craftsdwarf
Kromeus - Whichever

Anybody else?

Can you name a gem cutter/setter after me? I'd like him to be called B. Strain.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: February 09, 2013, 11:38:33 pm »

So here I am; Deler "Nish Wheelroads" Bentpages. I guess I got that nickname because I look like him or so people tell me. I don't think that's all that flattering on account of me being a female dwarf, but them's the breaks.

So one day, I'm wandering around and Sodel, the Expedition Leader, says she's tired of keeping track of everything so I'm supposed to keep an eye on things. So I guess I'm in charge of things.

This stupid tiercel falcon managed to slip inside and everybody is running around like a moron. I keep hoping a hunter will come and kill it, but it ain't happenin'. They like to murder kestrels, but those aren't chasing people in the food stockpile.

Dakost Trumpetteals made an artifact iron shield by the name of Telling Thattil. So we have a Legendary Armorsmith! Huzzah! I'm a Woodworker myself, but even I can tell this is quality work.

One of the miners has been talking about the great caverns so I tell them to carve a more direct route downwards. It's awfully empty down there, but I get a spooky feeling from it. I've heard legends about things from before the beginning of time that are best left forgotten. Sure, I get it. Who isn't from before the beginning of time? But these things spit acid and have five mouths and Tobul only knows what else.

Since we have a bunch of shiftless people hanging around the wagon, everybody is now a mason and/or engraver on top of their other jobs. We begin walling off a nice large section of the cavern. I also have people get to work gathering all that nice silk lying around.

Some of stupid horses hanging around outside are fighting; I split them up along with some of the other idiot farm animals that keep fighting.

Skulking vermin! Protect the hoard!

The kobold runs off, but I get paranoid about having so much wealth lying around. So we start moving stockpiles inside and station a stray pig as a guard behind the door.

About this time, I get complaints about my notetaking so I start actually writing dates down.

On the 8th Slate, 13, I get my answer about who is younger than the world when a baby girl named Onul Gloveseizes is born to Edem Rockseven and Sarvesh Beachlashed.

On the 10th Slate, 13, a bunch of migrants arrive. B. Strain Machinesockets, Gem Setter, arrives along with Lich180 Diamondmartyrs, Farmer, and Scout Gorgehosts, Lye Maker. I don't know why those names stick out.

On the 27th Slate, 13, a weaver trips down a ramp and discovers a natural passage to a dry lower cavern level. It seems rather lifeless even compared to the fairly sparse cavern above.

On 19th Felsite, an Elven caravan from The Special Buck arrives. I've never met an elf before but have heard only bad things. The merchant is a bit of a jerk from the start. Ethical works indeed. I get a better opinion of them when I check out their wares: sunberries and sunberry seeds galore! So we have a nice crop of them growing. They also had a black mamba in a cage so I bought that as well. Hopefully we'll get a male next time and can start up a snake pit.

SUEEEEY! Skulking vermin! OINKOINKOINK!

22nd Felsite, Tekkud Secretiveguild , Carpenter, takes a fey mood. The eventual result is an absolutely magnificent willow table named Idashokil  Eshomatul. I have it put in the dining room so that everybody can enjoy it.

16th Hematite, a wandering weaver discovers a ramp down to a third level. This has plenty of trees as well as rich patches of moss and fungus. A lava pool is also discovered.

18th Hematite, a Legendary Miner and tremendous weirdo named NoFace Obscurepast arrives, two picks in hand. Not a pick in each hand, mind you. Two picks in same hand. I said he was weird.

26th Hematite, Kel 'Orky Lessonlancer' Kasbenrigoth and Sodel 'Bhriam Bloodaxe' Lanternrevered get married. Congratulations. Now get back to work.

2nd Limestone, erith Oltarustuth, Weaver, takes a fey mood and produces a cloak called Sarnanir. It's nice. I guess since I don't know anything about clothes.

4th Limestone, Zasit 'Melkor Savageaxes'  Oltarstakud and Urist Stizashilral get hitched. See 26th Hematite.

A human caravan from The Romantic Empire arrives but I miss the date. I start moving everybody inside since rumors of goblins arrive with them. Some idiots keep hanging around outside so I personally deconstruct the wagon and build an obelisk in its place with the wood. I cap it off with an exceptionally nice statue Edem Rockseven carved of the founding of the fort.

On 28th Sandstone, Bhrian Bloodaxe arrives along with Kromeus Boardweb, Stoneworker.

The human caravan doesn't have very much to offer. Sodel has a nice talk with their Merchant Guild Representative and passes along my requests for plenty of silver bars/ore, booze, and sundry other items.

Not much happens.

12th Timber, the Dwarven Caravan arrives. I beef up our food and alcohol supplies. For some reason, they brought a lot of cavies; it's not my fetish, but I ain't gonna judge. I have Sodel double down on my orders by requesting the same from the dwarves.

A goodly segment of the first cavern is walled off; a sturdy stone hatch blocks off access to the second. I've begun building some slight defenses around the entrance and walls on the surface as well. I've partially replace the light fence around the outdoor farms with actual walls in case a large animal shows up. We've have the odd saltwater crocodile, but the hunters only seem interested in killing kestrels.

This is actually a lot of work so I'm going to foist this job off on the next sucker I see. Hey, Melkor Savageaxes. Come here a second, I need a hand with something!

As it stands, we have a mountain of food, a lake of booze, plenty of cloth and thread, and tons of blocks. Everybody in the fort is ecstatic thanks to our Royal Dining Room. One level of cavern has a square room that is slightly over the size of an embark tile (64x48 I think) mined out and walled off all the way to the top of the cavern. If you want, you can safely designate from one corner to another and mine out the  levels above it. There is a single tile gap on the upper right corner of level eight that needs to be taken care of in case a flying FB shows up. The cavies are still in cages so you might want to pasture them in the cavern.

F1 takes you to the Wagon Memorial, F2 to the top levels of the fort, F3 to the hatch over the first downwards passage, F4 to the second downwards passage, and F5 to the lava pool.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7382

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: February 10, 2013, 05:48:46 am »

downloading and checking the save.

wow i forgot how messy community forts are
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: February 10, 2013, 05:49:59 am »

WOOT!!! Update!!

Awesome stuff reading, I liked how you worked in the "Nicknames" of the starting seven...
Also Bloody hellz we have a Legendary Armorsmith Already?? HE Is going to get a lot of work for him once we get steel production up!

Sounds like food and booze aren't a worry right now.. Shame theres no Pics from this turn :(
NEED MROE PHOTOS!!

Ok Melkor! DO US PROUD!!!

EDIT: Downloaded the savefile.. Oy vey a bit of a mess in places, Looks like Ubiq is just strip mining the place!
Hope you are a good Architect Melkor! Also Bloody hell were up to 56 people already!
Should we edit the RAR's to Cap population as soon as all the heros are there?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 06:53:40 am by Crossroads Inc. »
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: February 10, 2013, 08:09:46 am »

Sweet! This is awesome.seems like a couple adventurers want to Westley down ;P and my kromeus finally arrived yay!

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: February 10, 2013, 08:42:08 am »

If you guys ever receive a Cheese Maker or any other equally unimportant or slovenly dwarf, I would be wholeheartedly entertained if he were named after me. With any luck, he might actually do something amazing and strive to succeed beyond his questionable career choice. That or he'll be killed by Crundles. Regardless, I'm certain he won't be missed!

Also, I've been keeping track of your adventures and the succession fort so far, and I'm glad that destruction hasn't struck just yet. Keep it up! I look forward to your part of the story Melkor. Strike the earth my good man!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: February 10, 2013, 10:02:20 am »

okay i have organised all the dwarf so the job-names make sense and the military has 2 squads.
1 for the heros that has verioes weapons leaded by no face
and the peasant militia led by a master axmen

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: February 10, 2013, 11:39:31 am »

Awesome work Melkor!
We should be able to have enough iron to get them well armed, and with our legendary, they should be well deffended as well.

By the by That will be a FANTASTIC Source of trading income! Churning out a dozen masterwork caps will be enough to purchase whole carvans of trade goods.  Given how few animals there are, we are prolly going to need to stockpile a LOT f Leather material... LOTS of it.

Also now that the underworld is opened up, we should star work on a proper Magam forge near that Magma pipe.  Also sorting Rare metals from the more common typpes.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: February 10, 2013, 02:44:24 pm »

We should channel that magma into a more secure location, so that we don't have people working right next to the open pool where magma creatures could pop up unobstructed.

Anacondas and saltwater crocodiles would be good if we can catch them. crocodiles lay tons of eggs and both would make good guard dogs.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: February 10, 2013, 06:25:31 pm »

i have never brought the lava up before so i am not really going to do that. i was more thinking shortening the fort and build wood burners for now.

i can however channel the magma where it is and make sure nothing get in but, the magma is pretty deep so it would go slow.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: February 10, 2013, 06:39:28 pm »

Also Bloody hellz we have a Legendary Armorsmith Already?? HE Is going to get a lot of work for him once we get steel production up!

Did you not notice that you had a Strange Mood going when you passed the save along?

Anyway, don't forget that we also have a Legendary Weaver and Carpenter.

With a highly skilled dyer and clothier, we could buy out caravans with socks pretty soon. 

Quality beds will also make keeping dwarves happy fairly easy.

EDIT: Downloaded the savefile.. Oy vey a bit of a mess in places, Looks like Ubiq is just strip mining the place!

The only real mining I did was the stairwell and squaring off sections within the first cavern; most of that was already empty space that I expanded to get stone for building material. 

If you guys ever receive a Cheese Maker or any other equally unimportant or slovenly dwarf, I would be wholeheartedly entertained if he were named after me. With any luck, he might actually do something amazing and strive to succeed beyond his questionable career choice. That or he'll be killed by Crundles.

I don't think there's anything alive in the caverns; probably thanks to a bug involving cavern populations loading when an adventurer visits.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 120