Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 540481 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1185 on: February 10, 2013, 06:47:41 pm »

Just one thing, I still think we should RP it as them 'returning with more' when one of the heroes immigrates. The nickname-swap thing is a bit confusing in practice.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: February 10, 2013, 07:02:20 pm »

Now that I think about it, have heard the cavern glitch being whispered about the forums. Blast...

Oh well. I suppose there will always be Goblins and diplomatic conversations with the local population of elves to be content with.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 07:04:08 pm by birdy51 »
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: February 10, 2013, 07:56:01 pm »

Now that I think about it, have heard the cavern glitch being whispered about the forums. Blast...

Oh well. I suppose there will always be Goblins and diplomatic conversations with the local population of elves to be content with.
The cave populations are only barren in adventure mode, though. When I did my hack-test embark, on switching to adventure mode I forgot to give control to one of the dwarves so the game gave me control of an antman in a tribe somewhere. Animals in the caverns can just take a while to show up, especially before 500 years or so, and might be hard to notice if you haven't revealed everywhere in the caverns.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: February 11, 2013, 04:57:25 am »

guys we are playing from 1ste granite to 1ste granite right because i just noticed that its moonstone so that means that i would have 3 months more than the others.
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: February 11, 2013, 05:47:21 am »

Thats ok, I htink we agreed earlier that if someone wants to pass it on a bit earlier they can, mostly to avoid situations were we are waiting weeks for someone to finish a turn.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: February 11, 2013, 10:32:48 am »

The cave populations are only barren in adventure mode, though. When I did my hack-test embark, on switching to adventure mode I forgot to give control to one of the dwarves so the game gave me control of an antman in a tribe somewhere. Animals in the caverns can just take a while to show up, especially before 500 years or so, and might be hard to notice if you haven't revealed everywhere in the caverns.

Confusing, but interesting. So there might be Crundles somewhere in the depths of the underworld, but they just might take a while to sort themselves out.

Perhaps there is a hope that this young dwarven kingdom will be feasted upon by Crundles!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: February 11, 2013, 03:18:37 pm »

Dawn of time

hey melkor Savageaxes. Come here for a second, I need a hand with something! a voice said from behind her.
She turned around with a annoyed look on her face ‘haha let me guess my good hand’.
‘I’ve had enough of this job it’s your turn,’ said ubiq while he pushed a bundle of paper in her hand.
Confused by what ‘this’ job was, she tried to hold the bundle so the papers wouldn’t be scattered around the place, uuuuhm what?
But ubiq already walked of, ‘have FUN!!’.

Melkor’s log 1ste moonstone,
So.. uhm,
I don’t even know how to write this but I am now in charge of the fort.
I would lie if I didn’t saw it coming but it’s a little soon.
I was content with being told what to do but leading is a different matter.

But,… now just hear me out dairy.
If I tell people it’s a tradition than I can pass it next year to the next dwarf,
So all I have to do is hold out a year that should be easy right?
Okay then its settled, well I am going to read these maps and charts I will be right back.

Okay diary this is a mess, I mean we have our workshops outside!
Really we have a great indoor spacing but we keep things outside?
We don’t have a general stockpile, not enough beds, the dining hall is looking good but it’s getting cramped,
we have 56 dwarfs but we have 36 idle, our military is awful and we have 7 farm plots, No wonder we have so much food.
Why are walls made from wood, the thing we need so badly for other things.

Well time to change things I am in charge now so I am doing whatever I want,
What? no not like that, for the good of thing. I know what I am doing diary! I think

First let’s fix not having a stockpile.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This little floor of random stockpile and farm plots and beds and…eww a refuse pile inside…. Amok dam.
Anyway.. this room will be dug out to be our very own stockpile. Sadly our stairs are a bit weird at places so ill will have to hand make a single staircase shaft that leads trough the entire fort.
But first the dining room

Melkors log 18th moonstone
The traders left, I didn’t trade with them so I hope ubiq did.
The digging is coming along smoothly we almost can start designating piles.

We shall expand the dining room and the food stockpile so we don’t have them scattered around. On the right, the raw food and the kitchen shall be stored.
At the bottom is the workshop so the dwarfs don’t have to walk so far between work and food.
OOC: I might change it a bit if the dwarfs take the raw food instead of the prepared.

And at last the bedrooms

The noble rooms will be big enough to make sure they have the required space to do their…. Noble stuff, what do they do diary? Aren’t I the boss here?
Anyway when it is done it will be able to hold 96 dwarfs.
Also why do we have a stair that leads outside, that just asks for trouble. I walled it off and digged a new entrance.

Melkor’s log 23rd moonstone
I have heard that Dodok kolken keeps muttering strange words like tree of life and leather skin.
He has barricaded the craftsman workshop and won’t come out. I don’t really like that he takes wood, we really need it to make beds and smelt iron to make weapons.

Melkor’s log 3rd opal
He’s done and made a good looking palm ring

Melkor’s log 9th opal
Well here we are, we finally have our first steel bar.
And now I have a tough decision to make, who will be leading the military.
I have looked at the skills and sadly I have to be in it since hardly anybody has military skills, but I won’t lead it, that I leave to somebody else.
But who…

Finally I have made my decision, thought melkor as she was walking through the stairway.
The sound of digging was heard everywhere, as rooms where dug out and stairs where carved.
Dwarfs where running up and down as a constant wood supply fueled the fire to smelt the iron, barrels of food and drink where brought to the stockpile.
It looked like chaos, but it was organized chaos, she knew the big picture and made sure everybody kept working.
Today you would be hauling. the next day you could be removing a wall you build yesterday.
Okay she wasn’t very efficient and indecisive of what she wanted but they will get there in time of…. In time.
But she wasn’t here to let people undo their hours of work, for now.
She was looking for a very skilled dwarf and as she descended to the would be bedroom she found him.
‘Noface’ she yelled over the sound of several dwarf digging.
a dwarf abruptly stopped swinging his pickaxe and slowly turned around to see who called his name. at least that was what she thought he was doing.
He is wearing a mask so she couldn’t tell if he was looking at her or something else.
She walked towards him past the other diggers and into his little cave he had dug out.
He was by far the best mining dwarf we had but, he’s also the best fighter we have.
‘noface, I have to talk to you’. Noface just stared at her not moving a muscle. After a awkward silence melkor continued:’uhm well, since we don’t have a militia I was thinking we should get started on…well building one’.
Still motionless Noface just stared.
‘Could you please say something this is getting weird’ melkor thought as she had to break the silence again: ‘So yeah militia and, uhm so I was thinking’.
She started to sweat a bit and couldn't look noface straight in the eye, well that was because she couldn’t see his eyes behind that mask.
Why doesn't he give me some sort of acknowledgment that he can hear me or that he is even listening. ‘that we need a commander and well aah’,
come on melkor! He is just like you, he also went through hell to get here, maybe something happened on the journey here and that is why he isn't talking.
Getting her courage back she look him straight in the eye, well she imaged that she could. But as soon as she looked at his mask again all the courage slipped away.
Why is he so scary looking she thought, how did I never noticed this. Noface was still standing still but seemed to become, taller cowering above her.
‘Well’ she swallowed first before continuing, ‘if you were let’s say, uhm I mean if I was to choose somebody, somebody like well uhm’.
At this point noface had become a giant in her eyes and she was small, not just small but tiny.
She slowly took steps back, ‘ it’s not that you are not a good miner, you are a great miner it’s just that..’
She felt trapped in the little cave, there was nothing anymore, no sounds of digging or busy dwarfs, the walls where long and narrow.
For the first time in her live she felt Claustrophobic. I am a dwarf for amok sake.
‘well we need somebody with skill to lead us…’ there was only him and her, she kept backing of from the imposing dwarf.
‘and well.. you are the best fighter’ she yelled as there was a gap of 12 meters between them, so I am …I am,  promoting you to commander!!!
As she open her eyes again she was back in the real world. She pretty much just yelled across the entire dig site as she backed off all the way to the staircase.
Her face slowly starting to become red as she noticed what she had done.
Noface was just staring at her but, he wasn't the reason why she was blushing
and no sooner than that chuckles and whispers filled the room, as she ran away from the scene.
Noface just turned around and started bashing at the rocks again.

Melkor’s log 11 opal
Dear diary I am a idiot.
I went talking to noface today to give him his title of commander but I just froze.
At the end I yelled all crossed the room his new title. I feel bad for him he is such a nice guy and the talk was nice,
we talked about… we hmm I don’t really remember what we talked about.
This is strange I am sure we talked right… well we must have because he accepted the new title so,.. we must have.
Something is wrong with me perhaps I am sober again. I still have the habit of drinking water.

Melkor’s log 13th obsidian
Well finally we have our stockpile

It’s a bit bigger then was needed but, hey we have enough space to expand right?

Melkor’s log 18th slate
The first training session has begun I have a new steel spear but I have become a bit rusty with it.
It really bring back memories not really the good kind. Uggi has a steel short sword and Noface has a war hammer.
And the militia all has war axes. Shields are on the way, not for me of course…

amok why me.

In other news somebody got in a fey mood and had a eureka moment and claimed the craftsman workshop

Melkor’s log 23rd slate
The fey mood created a palm cup.

Also more migrants, 19 more that is and all of them are now peasants  And orky at the same time also joined the militia as a axe dwarf.

Melkor’s log 14th felsite
Ooh dear amok
The first of the beasts have showed up from the deep, how does this thing stay in one piece, being made of only salt. We should be walled of but I will send the militia to make sure we are.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 11:16:06 am by melkor »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: February 11, 2013, 03:36:02 pm »

Make sure to go into uniform and set people to use the weapon they're best with. Noface should use picks, he's only a novice hammerddwarf I think. Uggi is very multitalented. See if you can get them to dual-wield.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: February 11, 2013, 04:21:26 pm »

but picks aren't that good right and they dont have a fighting skill, a hammer seems better because it has a fighting skill for it

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: February 11, 2013, 04:28:39 pm »

but picks aren't that good right and they dont have a fighting skill, a hammer seems better because it has a fighting skill for it
Picks use mining as a fighting skill (that's how I got him to legendary in adv mode), and he brought 2 iron picks with him. Unless someone melted down all the weapons in that pile, there should be yet a third iron pick kicking around. Also, battleaxes, scimitars, crossbows, and spears galore. We should have enough weapons brought during all our travels to arm at least 10 people with whatever they're best in, probably more.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: February 11, 2013, 08:48:29 pm »

Quote from: melkor
guys we are playing from 1ste granite to 1ste granite right because i just noticed that its moonstone so that means that i would have 3 months more than the others.

The save I got started on 15th Moonstone so I just played until the beginning of that month.

I always use Seasonal Saves so I just passed it along when that time hit.

and…eww a refuse pile inside…. Amok dam.

But if you put it outside, those precious bones will just rot away!

The traders left, I didn’t trade with them so I hope ubiq did.

I did indeed. That's what you have a bunch of cavies chilling out in cages at the Depot.

We should be walled of but I will send the militia to make sure we are.

You filled in that one gap I mentioned right? Then you shou...

Wait, damnit, I missed two ramps towards the bottom of the room while flooring it over.

Look for a tower-cap in the lower righthand corner, one of them is to the southwest and there is another one square away from it.

You might want to station the militia in that area and floor it over if possible (and fill in that gap if you haven't already). Noface will probably one-hit it since it's only salt and he'll have an easy head shot on it coming up a ramp, but it's best to be ready if he doesn't.

but picks aren't that good right

I take it that you've never had a miner tantrum then.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 08:54:58 pm by Ubiq »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: February 11, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »

Seriously, though, dual-wielding picks in adventure mode was like having a chainsaw. There's nothing better for piercing armor. Goblins might have whips, but Dwarves have picks.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: February 11, 2013, 09:45:42 pm »

Seriously, though, dual-wielding picks in adventure mode was like having a chainsaw. There's nothing better for piercing armor. Goblins might have whips, but Dwarves have picks.

Exactly; it has a spear's ability to penetrate along with an axe's ability to lop off limbs or whatever else it comes into contact with.

In my adventuring experiences, one of three things happens when a pick hits something:

1) Something goes flying off.
2) Something gets torn open and blood flies everywhere.
3) Something breaks.

Possibly all three if it's a headshot.

I don't think I've ever had a pick glance off of anything short of a bronze colossus.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: February 12, 2013, 06:38:57 am »

AWESOME Stuff Melkor!

Very interested to see how you are expanding the upper Fort.  It is going to take a lot longer then we first thought to be able to make a 'proper' city down bellow, so we really need more space up top.

A note on the central Shaft that leads up to the surface.... That is where I was hoping the "Main" entrance would be someday, I'd envisioned big fort and walls protecting it, and maybe a statue over it commemorating one of our Gods.

Don't worry about the magma or pumping water up yet, those are fiarly long term goals we can get to in time.

Also be BLEEDING CAREFUL with that beats, the "Deadly Spittle" for all we know could cause a fleshing melting syndrome that could kill the whole fort (wouldn't be the first time)
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: February 12, 2013, 08:48:18 am »

MMuahaha
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 120