Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 539214 times)

Urist McLaptop

• Bay Watcher
  • dwarven child care=!!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1215 on: February 15, 2013, 07:12:35 am »

Calling down the power of the gods?
Legend tells of a fort besieged by a dragon. When 79 brave recruits fell to its breath, the last dwarf of the fort took up arms. He sprung from his sickbed and claimed an adamant one sword before he bulrushes the dragon. A clean swipe severs the head. But the dragon claws him in the lower body and burns him alive. As he melts into a pile of booze and fat, I rename him Ronnie James Dio and change his profession to dragonslayer. He will forever be immortalized and worshipped as a dragonslayer God.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 15, 2013, 11:53:05 am »

Through the entire courtyard there was no sound to be heard, except of a pencil and a writing paper falling on the ground.
Her hand shaking and her eye’s full of fear. Goblins, why goblins, why now, we where almost done with the wall. Melkor thought to herself.
She softly grit her teeth, what are we going to do, if it’s a army we stand no chance. Goblins are known to have trolls and other creatures with them on sieges.
She heard a small cough that interrupted her train of thought, slowly raising her head.
every dwarf was looking at her. Why her?
‘Madam..’ a dwarf carefully said amongst the dozens of dwarfs.
She looked at the dwarf with a confused look, ‘yes’ she answered softly.
The dwarf hesitated before answering, not sure what to do ‘What are your orders’.
‘my orders’ she muttered trying to understand what the dwarf meant , then her eyes widened, she was the overseer! It was her job to protect them.
She slowly lowered her head, sinking into her own mind.
the other dwarfs still looking at her for orders where getting restless.
They started to look around, perhaps for somebody else to lead them. Some were Whispering, others trying to get attention from others to get them to do what they wanted, only to be shut down by somebody else who has a different idea.
‘Melkor’  a soft whisper said to her, as a hand was put on her shoulder, ‘we need you’
‘get my spear’ she muttered at the voice. The hand squeezed a little harder ‘listen to me melkor, you can’t just throw your liv---
In a instead her right hand grabbed hold of Dakost arm and raised her body.
She looked him dead in the eye’s, her face was full of emotions: fear doubt,  hate, envy and pain.
For a moment he was scared of her, he had never seen her like this. But then he saw in her eyes a  determination he had never seen before.
Get.. my.. spear.. she repeated and without hesitation he raced for the fort, leaping through the crowed of auguring dwarfs till he disappeared from sight.
She then shifted her focus on the dwarfs, it was chaos, everybody was loudly talking through each other not caring what the other was saying.
‘They didn’t even bother to go inside to warn the militia’ melkor sighed.
Filling her lungs with fresh air she made the loudest orders she had ever given.
EVERYBODY LISTEN UP!!
As loud as the courtyard was a moment ago so quiet it was now, turning their head to the dwarf that yelled, not yet fully recovered from the first order she continued.
I want everybody to drop the blocks that haven’t been placed yet neatly at the wall! Then you move orderly inside, I don’t want anybody getting hurt!
Nobody was moving yet, mostly because they were not suspecting the dwarf that almost had a metal breakdown was actually taking charge back.
WELL MOVE IT! Yelled melkor Like thunder. in a surprise by the sound that the one armed dwarf could make, everybody started to do as they were told.
Placing the block they were holding or dropped next to the wall and hurrying inside.
‘Masons!’ she continued ‘when everybody is inside you will barricade the entrance’, a few dwarfs nod in acknowledgement, ‘haulers you will bring the stone needed to do so and when you see any militia that is not heading their way up tell them to meet at the courtyard. She paused for a moment, searching her memory for anything else that needed to be told. ‘And somebody go to the mines to tell noface he is needed’!

She looked at the mess of dwarfs making their why inside and the militia trying to get outside.
‘come on you lazy bums get in formation’, yelled Bhrian as he tried to get the militia to form a line. ‘Ooh for amok sake Dodók get your breastplate on’ he yelled at a dwarf franticly trying to get his armor on.
‘They’re not ready’ uggi said to melkor they hardly have been trained and don’t have any experience fighting’.
I know that’ melkor answered annoyed ‘but we do’ she let out a sigh
So… we need to try and protect them understood.
Orky and uggi nodded as they faced the enemy. She walked to the last dwarf of the squad.
When Noface came out of the fort he had done nothing but standing in between the unfinished wall staring at the enemy.
He was holding 2 picks, 1 in each hand. He stood motionless, as in deep thought.
Melkor stopped next to him, looking at the upcoming enemy.
‘ it’s been a while since we had a real fight’ she softly said.
There was no reaction to be seen from Noface.
She placed her hand where her left arm should be, ‘the last time it didn’t end so well for me’.
She shuddered at the memory of the battle.
‘what if we aren’t strong enough’ she mutter, talking more to herself then Noface.
‘Who knows what monsters they brought with them and how many, once again fear was taking her over’.
‘Melkor’ a familiar voice was heard from behind her. She turned around seeing Dakost with her spear. She walked towards him trying to hide her emotions, to no avail.
With a slightly trembling hand she took her spear. she had so many thing to say to him, but none came.
As she opened her mouth trying to say something. Dakost suddenly threw his arms around her forcing her in a hug.
Surprised but not resisting she froze for a moment, only to place her head on his shoulder accepting the hug.
After a few moments she looks up to him ‘thank you, now get inside’
Dakost looked at her trying to find the word to stop her, but then his gaze went past her. ‘are there only 5’? he said with a confusing look.
‘What’ melkor said as she turned to the goblins. Her mouth dropping as she saw that the great threat she feared consisted out of,.. 5 goblins.
‘WHAT! She yelled, are you kidding me! I was worry about 5 goblins’.
She let her spear lean against her while she face palmed herself.
She let out a long sigh, ‘I can’t believe I was so worked up over a 5 goblins’. ‘well next time you should check how many there are before expecting the worst’ Dakost said smiling.
She gave a angry look to Dakost ‘how about you just get inside okay’. Giving a small smile he turned around and walked away.
Then she turned to the militia. The recruits still aren’t strong enough for a battle. Even if there are only 5 of them. It only takes 1 hit to kill somebody.
‘Bhrian, get your men in view of the battle, they won’t be needed but I want them to see the battle’.
As Bhrian gave the orders she added, ‘then join us the 5 of us will take them down. She then took her place back next to Noface.
She looked at him for a couple of seconds before saying ‘you knew didn’t you’
Noface kept staring at the, now very close, goblins. ‘Yeah, I thought so’
She said turning her head back to the goblins ‘thanks anyway for listening’.
No sooner said than done, then militia had positioned themselves on a stable side of the wall with a good view of the would-be-soon battlefield.
Uggi and Bhrian stood on the right, Orky and Melkor on the left and Noface in the center ready to face the enemy.
The goblins where getting close and started their charge, while the dwarfs waited for the order of the commander.
‘Okay melkor its just 5 of them, we are with 5, we are much stronger than they are and… and .. we have the home advantage’ she thought to herself ‘We can do this’.
She looked over to Noface, who still hadn’t moved and didn’t looked battle ready.
‘Noface?’ She asked quietly ‘we are waiting for the command’.
Noface didn’t move a inch, nor did he seem to hear her.
She looked back and forth between Noface and the goblins.
‘are you alright?’ she asked concerned. Did she make a mistake in choosing him?
Her heart was beating fast, well if he isn’t doing it, I will.
She took a deep breath and the world froze. Everything slowly went to a stop, the charging goblins moved slower and slower. The birds hanging in the air as if they were stuffed animal hanging on a string.
Everybody and everything stopped, except for Noface, who planted his foot in the ground causing it to sink in. lowering his body backwards as he prepared for the charge.
Melkor’s eyes flickered to Noface as she couldn’t believe the speed he was moving his body. 
Like lighting he charged away as the world began to move again, kicking up the grass and dirt his foot had just left.
Surprised by the sudden charge of Noface the group looked at melkor who just did what came natural, following Noface in his lightning fast charge.
The group formed a spear formation with Noface charging way ahead of them.
The goblins surprised by the speed of the 5 dwarfs charging them slowed down and the crossbow goblin suddenly realized he was in range quickly fired of a bolt only to be deflected by Noface’s his pick.
The first goblin pulled back his whip in a attempt to strike the upcoming dwarfs, but already realized he was too late.
Noface jumped in the air raising his pick high above his head, then striking down on the goblins head plummeting his pick deep into his head smashing it to the ground.
Pulling hard with his pick he rips of the goblins head from his body, he then turns his attention to the next goblin who attacks him with his whip.
Diving forward the whip misses him, making a somersault he quickly gets back on his feet and smashes the goblin in the side with the blunt side of his other pick breaking several of his ribs.
The goblin screams in pain but is quickly silenced by another blow of Noface with his pick ripping the goblins head of his shoulders as well.
Having killed 2 goblins already with both their heads on 1 pick he charges the next in line.
Meanwhile on his left side melkor had charged another goblin.
She however wasn’t fast enough and the goblin was able to attack her.
As the whip strikes at her she put her spear in between the whip, the whip coiled around her spear like a snake and with a strong push she made her spear spin in the air, the whip warped around the spear, tighten with each spin it made until the whip was forces out of the goblins hand.
Catching the spear in mid air she prepared to strike at the goblin.
The goblin was confused as she wasn’t in striking range.
But his train of thought was interrupted as his spine was broken by the flat side of orky’s axe. Okry had flanked the goblin from the side, while he was to busy keeping track of melkor’s spear spinning in the air.
The blown send him flying towards melkor as she thrusts her spear through his chest and into his heart, placing her foot on the still airborne body she pushed the body away and ripping her spear out of the goblin.
On the right side of the battle field Bhrian had uppercut the goblin with his shield shattering the jaw, as blood rushed out of his mouth he had no time to worry about his wounds.
As Bhrian put 1 knee to the ground and braced himself, Uggi jumped on Bhrian’s shoulders, Bhrian on his turn pushed Uggi as hard he could sending Uggi to the air.
Uggi made a salto over the goblin, attacking him from behind with unmatched speed cutting the back of the goblin open till eventfully his blade wasn’t hitting the back, but the front of the goblin. As the fourth goblin collapsed in a pile of flesh and guts, the crossbow goblin dropped his crossbow and fled in fear. Noface however doesn’t allow survivors as he charged the last goblin, easily catching up to it, the goblin only had a few seconds to look at his right to see Noface plug his pick into his stomach and out of his back. A soundless scream left the goblins mouth as Noface raised his body with his pick, readying his other pick with the goblins heads still attached.
The goblin looked at the mask of Noface trying to mutter begging words before Noface slammed the blunt side of the pick onto his head.
Blood, flesh, meat and brains spattered everywhere as the head of the goblin was smashed to pieces. The last of the 5 goblins fell.
As sudden as the battle started the sooner it was over.
They had won, they had easily won but not without cost.
Melkor was the first to find the body, it was strange she thought she would feel more then she did.
Yes she felt sorry for him and sad but she thought she would also feel Disgust for seeing a dwarven corpse.
The first victim that this fort will cause: ‘Domas Koloslan the blacksmith’.

Melkor’s log 22nd timber
I got a bit carried away today, we got attack by 5 goblins and me fearing the worst, instantly locked down the fort. In the end we killed them all.
I killed 1, uggi killed 1 and Noface killed 3 of them.
Somebody did die and because I didn’t even considered that somebody could die I never made any tombs.
Domas Koloslan shall be the first to receive a tomb, I will make sure it a grand one.
But while we were busy killing goblins the strange mood made a buffalo bone mace. Nice!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It seems nish has a fan.

Melkor’s log 6th moonstone
Today we traded with the humans caravan some of our crafts against all their leather and metal bars. In case we want to build something fancy one day.

Melkor’s log 9th opal
Today we finally were able to burry Domas Koloslan he received a golden sarcophagus, studded with silver and encrusted with emerald and pink jade.
His tomb was engraved by our engraver who did his hardest on it.
Sadly he started to rot a bit. Maybe I shouldn’t have encrust it after all.

Melkor’s log 1st granite
I made it. I finally made it, it’s the first of granite and that means I can give the title of overseer to somebody else let’s see.
I bet orky boss would be a good overseer.

Okay let me give you a small tour through the fort,
First the ground floor.
As you can see I have build a wall around our fort it should be big enough to expand if needed be.
We have a bridge that when lowered should block of the entrance to our fort.
You can raise it with a lever inside the dining hall I have placed a note so you can look it up.
However it’s not completely done yet you still need to place fortifications on the wall so you can shoot through but the enemy not back.

The second floor is our storage room, as you can see the bar block stockpile needs to be expanded.
In the stone stockpile there is a mine cart system operating.
You don’t have to touch it because it is working and rolling.

Third floor is our dining hall / workshops 
The dining hall is big enough for now but you can expand.
On the left is the drinks/prepared meals pile. On the right is the kitchen  and unprepared food pile.
On this floor I have installed a mine track in case you want to expand the dwarf can easily move the rock to the pile and with the mine cart full they can push it at max speed.
There is a small limestone pile for the crafts and block makers and a small woodpile for the furnace. Ooh about wood… nvm il tell you later.

The fourth floor our bedrooms.
At the moment everybody have a bedroom assigned to them there are a few more bedrooms empty and you can still expand if needed.
Also there is a small mine track here so if you expand the mine cart should speed the hauling up.

And then the state of stocks
Good news we have plenty of food and drinks.
A kind of bad and good news, when I wanted to make 100 steel bars I forgot that smelting ore gives you 4 bars instead of 1.
Sooo… you got a mountain of iron bars. Luckily everybody has steel weapons and we have 20 steel breastplates.
20 helms, gauntlets, high boots and greaves are ordered to be made. And the pig iron and steel bars are produced to compensate for the amount of steel bars.
A bit of bad news: our clothes are getting wear so I ordered 30 of each clothe piece so we should be good on that.
And now the bad news:…. We have no more wood. I kind of burned it all to make charcoal and we are going to run out of that as well.
But the good news is I requested lots of wood from the caravans.
Soooo… yeah  that’s a thing.

Have fun!

OOC: sorry I left the fort without any wood I should have thought about that.
About the battle story I kind of forgot about the caravan I should have at least have said that they where there.
Also during that battle Orky was actually asleep but I wanted to have him in any why so I made that up.[/spoiler]
The lower caverns.
As you can see we have a small hole in the wall, I made that so the doctors can clean patients.
There is no connection with other caverns and we haven’t had any troubles but I suggest to find a more protected water source.

save

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 11:59:03 am by melkor »
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 15, 2013, 01:21:59 pm »

The goblins were probably pissing their pants, facing Melkor who cut a Roc in half and Uggi, well-known accomplice of the infamous psychopath Ettad. Also, noface is probably like Jason Vorhes to them. And people don't call Orky "boss" for nothing.

No wood? The caverns should provide plenty soon enough. I wouldn't worry about it, Orky.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 15, 2013, 06:04:31 pm »

Seven dwarves sit around a campfire.

Noface: And I beat him to death with his severed arm!
Uggi: Hey, Nish, we've all talked about our deeds. Let's hear about yours.
Nish: Well, there ain't much to tell really. I walked the long way around over the mountains, stayed out of trouble, had some kills stolen. Went to the edge of the world, but not much there. Oh, well, I guess there is one thing I'm kinda proud of. Me and Rogon climbed that mountain way back over yonder.
Melkor: That's it? I killed a roc with one arm!
Bhrian: Yeah, it doesn't seem like much by comparison.
Nish: Maybe so, but I did it in this region.
The rest: Well, sh-

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 15, 2013, 07:18:57 pm »

And thus Nish gets all the engravings... though I'm pretty sure we're in the Murk of Murdering, where most of those deeds happened. I mean, that's where everyone's stuff was piled up. But maybe the fort is on that part of the map that's in the mountains. Where Nish did basically the only notable things in history.... crap.

We must engrave things over on the west side of the map, see if that makes a difference!

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 15, 2013, 09:04:28 pm »

Three quarters of the embark is in The Swamp of Stances while the fort proper is almost entirely inside the Bronze Towers.

Upon abandoning Melkor's save and checking the history, the Swamp of Stances has no recorded events after a couple of monsters settled there in Year 1. That's because it's on the opposite side of the range from The Murk of Murdering; Nish came to Ralevost from the west rather than the east like the rest of you.

The only event after Year 1 for The Bronze Towers is Nish and Rogon, Mountaineers Extraordinaire.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 09:06:11 pm by Ubiq »

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 16, 2013, 08:58:28 am »

Hail Nish!

Conqueror of Mountains!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: February 16, 2013, 01:51:54 pm »

ORKY BOSS!
Paging ORKY BOSS
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 16, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »

Hang on, I thought engravings were linked to the civ that settled the site, not the site itself?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 16, 2013, 11:55:05 pm »

Hang on, I thought engravings were linked to the civ that settled the site, not the site itself?

Engravings draw from three sources: events within the region, events from within the fort, and events from that civilization's history. Region based engravings seem to be most common.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: February 18, 2013, 07:32:54 am »

Any sign of Orky yet?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: February 18, 2013, 02:49:50 pm »

His profile says he hasn't been online since the 12th.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:17 am »

Is Readh around then? he is n ext in line.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: February 19, 2013, 03:57:29 pm »

I'm sure Reudh is around.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: February 19, 2013, 04:17:02 pm »

Reudh is always around, yo!
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 120