Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 120

Author Topic: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!  (Read 541185 times)

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CHALLENGE: starting at the dawn of time!
« Reply #1260 on: March 13, 2013, 05:59:33 pm »

Uggi's journal, 1st Granite 15

So, the year is changing and we are sparring in the courtyard like we always do, and suddenly Melkor comes screaming "FINALLY IT'S OVER!" and then nominates me as the new overseer. Wait, what! She can't do that, can she?

Apparently she can. I asked about this from our bookkeeper and mayor and other bureaucratics and they stated that I'm now supposed to run this place for exactly one year. It's a tradition, they say. Tradition? We've been here only three years!

Stunned by the news, I have no choice but to roam around the fort, trying to take notes of things. I have no idea what's going on inside the fort. Piles and piles of rocks and stuff everywhere. Workshops scattered around. Huge square halls, some of them empty. And then our cramped dining room. Why is it so small? Why is everything so square in here?

While I'm visiting the forges I notice someone carrying a familiar weapon. Hey, that's my old trusty spear! I stop the dwarf just when he's about to throw the spear into a furnace. He says someone ordered it to be melted. Well, my first order as an overseer is to stop melting our historic weapons and shields.

I notice a lot of unused bedrooms and announce that they're free to take. No-one should be sleeping in cold stone floor when there are plenty of bedrooms available. While I'm at it I also make sure that the whole dining room is designated for dining.

There are a few dead animals in the animal cage stockpile. I order the cages emptied. We'll install the empty cages as traps near the drawbridge.

Meanwhile, I hear some child has started building something mysterious from a piece of granite, iron bar and silk.

4th Granite 15

Edem Rockseven just give a birth to a baby girl. The father is Sarvesh Beachlashed and this is already their third child born in here. Sadly, their only son Erush Ringrooted was abducted last winter, I hear.

5th Granite 15

The kid that claimed the craftdwarf's workshop a few days ago just came out, holding this pretty ring. I think we really need a showroom for all these artifact we've produced.

2nd Slate 15

A few days ago Nish disappeared into the mountains telling he was going to look for something. Today he returned with a bunch of migrants that somehow got lost on their way here.

The migrants are the usual peasants, milkers and fisherdwarves. One has some decent medical skills.

Also two traders from an earlier caravan were really impressed of this hellhole and decided to move in. One of them, Kumil 'birdy51' Silveryoil has some cheese making skills. She even brought a horse with her so she would have something to milk. We'll see how her horse cheese tastes like.

Among the migrants is also our old outpost liaison, Goden 'Torrasque II' Bloodwalled. According to him this place is growing too fast and it's luring criminals in and he's here to stop them. I asked him if he really thinks he could do anything about it. "Crime is a disease and I'm the cure." he muttered. Well, I agree this place is luring all sorts of weirdos in. To get him off my face I kind of nominated him as the captain of the guard, "to stop all the criminal acts". Not that I've seen any crimes in here.

Meanwhile, I've ordered the miners to dig deeper into the very bottom of the caverns. We have to do something about that winged abonomation before it finds a way up. We'll try to lure it into a trap of some sort.

5th Slate 15

The mayor mandates that we forge more short swords. Well, that's a mandate I'm happy to fulfill. I'll order some war hammers too as I heard one of the recruits, Vabok 'flabort' Plungeabbey, is pretty good with hammers and yet someone has given him a battle axe to fight with.

9th Slate 15

While visiting our hospital the doctors told me we really need a clean water source and some soap. Both of the current patients have infections, probably because of the muddy cavern water. One of them, Rith 'Kromeus' Boardweb has a broken leg. He says he can't remember what happened. Both of them were brought to the hospital some time last autumn.

13th Slate 15

The miners were digging a shaft for a screw pump stack when they heard a horrifying growl coming from the distance. Another of those horrendous creatures has emerged from the depths. I'm ordering everyone inside. We need to patch some holes in these walls.

16th Slate 15

Sodel Lanternrevered, a miner just gave birth while deconstructing a floor and holding another infant. The father is Kel Tuftcrafted, also a miner.

(That's going to be the future entrance. We have to move the fort walls a bit to make room for the building)

24th Slate 15

The masons finally managed to seal the cavern. I hope. The water source was left outside the walls. The screw pump stack for a well is under construction.

25th Slate 15

Just when we returned from guarding the cavern another beast appears! What is it with all these monsters?

We head towards the drawbridge, except Melkor who can't hold a shield and is ordered to stay inside to avoid being molten alive. The rookie squad will be staying inside too.

The dragon heads towards the gate, and then stops at our original campsite and starts breaking the doors of our old huts. What a stupid creature. Aren't dragons supposed to be smart?

We sneak closer using the hut as a cover. Nish and Orky go around the hut from one side while me and Noface take the other side. The dragon sees me and Noface first and blasts us with dragonfire!

We take cover behind our shields, which begin to glow red from the heat. The grass turns to ashes around us. I can't see anything through the smoke. When I hear the dragon inhaling and preparing for another fiery breath, I leap through the smoke with my sword first and luckily land on the dragon's leg, sinking my sword in.

The dragon screams from pain and charges at me, knocking me over and then suddenly passes out from the pain. Noface makes sure it stays down.

Right, now what should we do with this dragon corpse, any ideas? Leave it to rot where it is, to scare the goblins? Make dragon biscuits and soap?

I tried to dorf everyone that asked for it, let me know if I forgot someone.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 13, 2013, 06:24:34 pm »

Hurrah! A glorious update! Preserving our heritage and making history (primarily by killing things)! Just a few things

-speaking of dragons, did that skull I brought ever get totemed? Or did someone throw it out in the refuse? We ought to make some armor from this most recent beast's bones, just for display.

-Is avalanches the squad name?

-Seeing as this is supposed to be the first ever dwarven city, we should probably RP it like the dwarven caravans come here to restock and drop off their bounty, should we of the capital find it worthy. Outpost liasons and the like could be going out and meeting with all the hobo dwarves and telling them what to bring when they come here, who should come first, etc.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 13, 2013, 07:21:18 pm »

make into soap.

afterall, if we want soap we want the best, and what is better at killing germs than fire? and since dragons ARE fire, then fire fat is the best fat for soap.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 13, 2013, 07:23:40 pm »

-speaking of dragons, did that skull I brought ever get totemed? Or did someone throw it out in the refuse? We ought to make some armor from this most recent beast's bones, just for display.

Checking... No totems in the fort and no dragon skulls. The bookkeeper is an adequate bone carver, could train him a bit first.

-Is avalanches the squad name?

Yes, a short version. Someone gave them their squad names as custom profession names. The squad with all the heros is called The Avalanches of Immortality, thus 'avalanches'. The one with recruits is called The Helmed Decisions, or 'helmed' as a profession. Yeah it makes confusing battle reports. Makes more sense in the unit listings.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: March 13, 2013, 08:25:32 pm »

Curses! I lugged that skull all the way and it got chucked in the garbage. Alas, that it was too late to save some parts of our heritage.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 13, 2013, 08:45:35 pm »

I am pleased to be named after a cheesemaker. My cheese shall bring great joy and happiness to the fortress! Many engravings will be made about them, even when I am dead and in a coffin.

Also, excellent work on the dragon. Pity about the history being destroyed, but then again, history is still be written! The slaying of the Dragon Mistrum attests to that fact!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 14, 2013, 02:58:33 am »

Yes, a short version. Someone gave them their squad names as custom profession names. The squad with all the heros is called The Avalanches of Immortality, thus 'avalanches'. The one with recruits is called The Helmed Decisions, or 'helmed' as a profession. Yeah it makes confusing battle reports. Makes more sense in the unit listings.

i did this,
its to make sure i know who is in what squad when i am busy in dwarf therapist.
and when assigning who goes where in the squad menu

also:
nooooo i get no fun, is it because of my arm?  i am being discriminated!
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 14, 2013, 05:12:39 am »

Huh. I've been gone a while it seems, and I'm back just in time to be next up the list for people who run the fort, armok help me. Time to start reading.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:59 am »

DRAGON SOAP! now DAT  be da real Business!
Freaking awesome update Uggi! The fort is starting to look rather Epic1 Can't wait till my turn rolls around again.

Any chance you can get some bigger screenshots of the fort for us?
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2013, 07:17:49 am »

Mostly because you've already killed A ROC, of all things :P

No, it was because of the lack of a shield. Didn't want you to get burned to crisp. Can dwarves wield a shield and a weapon in the same hand in fortress mode? I know it's possible in adventure mode. Noface is wielding both of his picks in his right hand and using the left hand for a shield. Also I tried assinging two hammers and no shield for Flabort (as he requested), but he's wielding both hammers in his right hand while his left hand is free, which is just plain silly dwarven.

Yeah, maybe later. The surface level needs some decorating first. Apart from the burnt ground it's really plain. The elven caravan should show up soon and I'm expecting them to have company.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: March 14, 2013, 08:20:16 am »

Mostly because you've already killed A ROC, of all things :P

No, it was because of the lack of a shield. Didn't want you to get burned to crisp. Can dwarves wield a shield and a weapon in the same hand in fortress mode? I know it's possible in adventure mode. Noface is wielding both of his picks in his right hand and using the left hand for a shield. Also I tried assinging two hammers and no shield for Flabort (as he requested), but he's wielding both hammers in his right hand while his left hand is free, which is just plain silly dwarven.

Yeah, maybe later. The surface level needs some decorating first. Apart from the burnt ground it's really plain. The elven caravan should show up soon and I'm expecting them to have company.

It's quite possible for dwarves missing a limb to equip both weapon and shield in the one hand, so long as there is a shield available and a weapon available. One of my old Militia Commanders had her sword in her left hand, and her shield in her left hand too.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 14, 2013, 12:30:52 pm »

Bah, you should have let the dragon wander into a cage trap so we could have tamed it.

Curses! I lugged that skull all the way and it got chucked in the garbage. Alas, that it was too late to save some parts of our heritage.

It was probably put into an outside refuse stockpile and rotted away.

Barring vermin eating them, bones in inside stockpiles won't do that.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 14, 2013, 12:35:27 pm »

Well, by all means let Melkor fight! If worst comes to worst, she can have just a shield and still pwn with it. Should be able to wield something else alongside anyway. And military service will help make up for getting rid of so many historical items :D

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 14, 2013, 02:14:09 pm »

exactly let me fight buuuut, against stuf like a dragon the can melt me i would like to hold of on it.
but when gobbo's get around imma smash shit
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 14, 2013, 09:38:09 pm »

Also I tried assinging two hammers and no shield for Flabort (as he requested), but he's wielding both hammers in his right hand while his left hand is free, which is just plain silly dwarven.

Awesome. I have to get the scanner working now, and draw a picture. I love this.

Also, thank goodness I like pig tail and gauntlets. Personality wise, the dorf is a lot like me.  ;D However, he's active, compares himself favorably with others, and needs alcohol to get through the working day. :p  All dorfs do, and the other two are things I wish I was anyways. Our traits basically match, but I don't have a way with words and do have a good analytical sense. And I look nothing like him.

He's perfect!  8)
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 120